Curious why Mages are being called OP

90 Blood Elf Mage
Obviously I am not 85, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. With that being said, I feel like Mages have more utility, regardless of spec, than people are used to. As frost, I can do some decent damage during a Deep F, but my ordinary sustainable damage via Frostbolt's and Ice Lance with FoF leaves much to be desired. With Frost Ward, Cold Snap, and Blink I can make a fight last long enough to use at least 1 Deep and it pi**es people off.

The problem for me lies with Warriors and S Priests. The combination of massive damage output and damage absorbs/heals seems a little over the top. Warlocks and the 100k+ CB will obviously be nerfed at 90 if the damage doesnt scale with other classes survivability.
Reply Quote
09/16/2012 03:27 PMPosted by Frostyturtle
Yea, shadow priests do a decent bit of damage, but again, compared to mages, it's laughable. Shadow priest healing is a legitimate concern, however.

Wrong, my Spriest partner in 3s can global players by himself sometimes harder than my frostbomb crits + their utility is insane.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
Go to youtube and type in "Frost Mage One Shot Macro" and watch the video.

In it he kills a fully pvp geared warlock( i mean with full pvp gear and resil) in just over one global cd.

But i still don't think we are overpowered, we are the glass canon, we cant heal and we die easily.... our damage is just adjusted for lvl 90.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
09/17/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Fknownage
But i still don't think we are overpowered, we are the glass canon, we cant heal and we die easily.... our damage is just adjusted for lvl 90.

50k absorb every 25 seconds + 30% instant heal + frost nova -> evocate says hello. Mages die easily? We have so many escapes it isn't even funny :|.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Mage
09/17/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Frostyturtle

50k absorb every 25 seconds + 30% instant heal + frost nova -> evocate says hello. Mages die easily? We have so many escapes it isn't even funny :|.

Fair enough.

But we have the least amount of self healing of all the classes, that's why we do the most damage
Reply Quote
Lol.. mages are freaking overpowered. I was shown a 1 shot burst combo for every spec.. it's ridiculous how easy it is to reproduce too. There isn't a single hope for someone who gets into my shatter combo unless they get a dispel AND a trinket. :P
Reply Quote
I've played multiple classes, each class can be beat by something... it's just people would rather complain then learn to fight something.
Edited by Searik on 9/17/2012 5:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
We do a lot of damage because we have the worst healing. a 30% heal on a 3 min CD sucks. Evocate in duels sucks IMO.

We are not OP when I was dueling a ret pally who hit a 120k FoL with wings....or when I am dueling a warrior and the kid doesn't even have to think about the massive heals he is getting every second under 35%...Meanwhile I am busy being slowed and charged with my eyes bulging watching my frost nova CD so I can run away and evocate with the interrupt on the way with most classes... Lol?
Edited by Taleas on 9/17/2012 9:24 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
09/14/2012 06:27 PMPosted by Pewpewblast
Because right now on live we are. You shouldn't be able to drop someone in a deep.

That's something dispellable and trinketable. Killing someone in a charge (3 seconds, undispellable/curable/trinketable due to knockdown) is a bit more OP. Locking someone in fears as DoTs tick, a 100k Chaos bolt hits, and constant heals rolling is quite OP.

Mages need everything to be perfect, on top of FoF and they only get ONE chance every 30s.

If you think mage is balanced right now, then you're delusional. If you think 90 will balance it out, then you haven't played beta.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
If I can't trinket the deep freeze, I'm dead. The damage, survivability (ice block, cauterize, ice barrier), and the decent mobility (blink out of my kidney wut) make mages one of the hardest classes for me to kill. Right now, rogue cooldowns are too long to stay toe to toe with a mage.

A bit off topic, but imagine if mages had to choose between blink and cold snap. yeah, thanks blizzard.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
09/17/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Dancers
A bit off topic, but imagine if mages had to choose between blink and cold snap. yeah, thanks blizzard.

Warlocks have to choose between Mortal Coil and Howl. That's kind of like you choosing between kidney shot/cheap shot and gouge :\.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
09/17/2012 10:35 PMPosted by Dancers
if mages had to choose between blink and cold snap.

Blink. That wasn't a hard descision.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
We do a lot of damage because we have the worst healing. a 30% heal on a 3 min CD sucks. Evocate in duels sucks IMO.

We are not OP when I was dueling a ret pally who hit a 120k FoL with wings....or when I am dueling a warrior and the kid doesn't even have to think about the massive heals he is getting every second under 35%...Meanwhile I am busy being slowed and charged with my eyes bulging watching my frost nova CD so I can run away and evocate with the interrupt on the way with most classes... Lol?

When a warrior picks, Second Wind, Enraged Regen, or Impending Victory, that is THE ONLY self healing a warrior will get. Well there is Victory Rush, but that requires a killing blow to activate.

Rogues only have a nerfed recuperate and leeching poison, and they have to spec into the second one.

I'd say both of those have worse self-healing than mages
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'd wager to say rogues and hunters have worse self-healing than mages, but I haven't played much of either class since the patch.

I think the massive amounts of CCs and slows that mages have are the reasons why people call us "OP." That said, it's not hard to figure out how to kill us. People who whine about mages more than likely just want to be handed honor. Every class can be killed, but some require a bit more effort than others. There's no way to completely balance out classes.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
You can take people from 100 to nothing in a deep freeze.

Currently simcraft for mop shows 3 out of the top 5 specs being mage (not always super accurate but people still cry everytime a new one is released)
Edited by Volitar on 9/18/2012 11:27 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I'd wager to say rogues and hunters have worse self-healing than mages, but I haven't played much of either class since the patch

Hunter self-healing is pretty damn good right now. Easily the best out of any spec/class with non-casted heals.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
silence shot, dire beast, bestial wrath, lynx rush, kill command, mage dead.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
mages are teh new rogues?
50k frost bomb / pyro
constant stuns and cc
able to drop someone in an opener.
i quit, lol
Reply Quote
86 Gnome Mage
My shadow priest feels way more powerful than my mage in pvp. They both have full cata with enchants and gems too so its a pretty good comparison.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]