That Draenei Age Question

71 Draenei Warrior
Hello everyone! I just have a quick question/opinion-quest.

You see, I'm working on my Draenei's backstory. I want to make it so she was born on Argus and lived there long enough to become a fully trained Peacekeeper etc. This, through all the timeline etc, would make her about 28,000 years old 'today'. Would this get me any 'weird looks' from other roleplayers a la 'Tsh she can't be that old that's nonsense' or some such? We certainly know Velen's older than that but enh, you never know what opinions are out there.

Also, regarding her experiences after she landed with the Exodar on Azeroth. Given that 'now' she's a lv 20 warrior not capable of experiencing endgame anything yet, what do I write as her story for the three years of BC, WotLK, and Cata? Could I get away with writing that she did this that and the other thing in Outland, etc as long as she GETS to that level later? I don't want to say she sat at home for three years while her brethren fought to deter the Legion in Outland etc for example.

Thoughts and opinions much appreciated!
Thanks!
~Pymma
Reply Quote
83 Blood Elf Warlock
As far as I'm aware, Draenei are essentially immortal, so that shouldn't be a real issue...

Draenei lore is not exactly my strong suite (there's...not that much of it really in comparison to every other race...), so I could be a bit off base there, however.

If you want to say your character took part in events in-game throughout the timeline, do so. Most people don't let levels get in the way of RP, and those that do likely won't care anyway provided you're going to level her up.
Reply Quote
74 Undead Death Knight
Its not -three- years per say...

Most people say that its roughly 10 years inbetween expacs.

Than about 5 years for each expac.

Not sure... but eh.

Can i knaw on your pretty horns?
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
Its not -three- years per say...

Not sure... but eh.

Can i knaw on your pretty horns?

If that were the case Anduin would be in like his 20's or 30's now XD. But that is a totally different issue unrelated to the Draenei
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Warrior
Yeah, I was going by the Unofficial Timeline on whichever site it was (I forget) and it suggested one year per expansion. Even if it were longer that would just make me older ;P
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
I believe that -at the most- an expansion lasts about 1-3 years "lore-time".

I've never heard that they last for about 5-10 years, so I really don't know where you're getting that information from.
I believe it was on WoWPedia where I got my timelines for my character's history, and it most certainly was not 5 years for each expansion, much less 10 years in between. After 4 expansions, that would be... 50 years, most of the major leaders would be dead or dying.

The only exceptions would be Queen Sylvannas, Lor'themar, Baine, those in the Council of the Three Hammers, Velen, Gelbin, Malfurion, and Tyrande.
So Thrall, Garrosh, and Varian would all be dead.

http://www.wowpedia.org/Roleplaying_stats#Age

http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_(unofficial)
This is probably the timeline you should be roleplaying off of.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
anduin was 10 in vanilla wow

he will be 14 in mop

09/14/2012 10:52 AMPosted by Pymma
You see, I'm working on my Draenei's backstory. I want to make it so she was born on Argus and lived there long enough to become a fully trained Peacekeeper etc. This, through all the timeline etc, would make her about 28,000 years old 'today'. Would this get me any 'weird looks' from other roleplayers a la 'Tsh she can't be that old that's nonsense' or some such? We certainly know Velen's older than that but enh, you never know what opinions are out there.

realize that the only true info we have regarding this issue is that velen is 25000 years old and a small number of npcs saying they remember argus
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Actually, (I think I would have to check with Hal about this) I remember Blizz saying that there is about 1 year per expansion lore wise and seven years from the start of the third war to the events in vanilla wow making it about 10 years.

This is probably the timeline you should be roleplaying off of.

^^This

09/15/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Dragonheals
realize that the only true info we have regarding this issue is that velen is 25000 years old and a small number of npcs saying they remember argus

^^and this

It's generally not a good idea to make your draenei older than Velen as he's often regarded as the oldest living Draenei on Azeroth.
Edited by Kassalla on 9/15/2012 3:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
anduin was 10 in vanilla wow

he will be 14 in mop

YES! A STRONG 14 YEAR OLD LORE CHAR FOR ONCE! THANK YOU SO MUCH BLIZZ!
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
09/15/2012 03:55 PMPosted by Kassalla
Actually, (I think I would have to check with Hal about this) I remember Blizz saying that there is about 1 year per expansion lore wise and seven years from the start of the third war to the events in vanilla wow making it about 10 years.

anduin's age proves 1 year between expacs

it's the only solid thing we can go on unless blizzard releases a new official timeline

also

official timeline from 2007

http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_%28from_official_site,_2007%29

7 years from reign of chaos(3rd war) to wotlk
Edited by Dragonheals on 9/15/2012 7:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
Regarding Anduin Wrynn's age: http://www.wowpedia.org/Anduin_Wrynn#Age

Anduin was 10 at the start of Vanilla, in Tides of War; a novel set during the tail-end / after Cata (but before MoP) he is stated to be fourteen.

As we have had Vanilla; Burning Crusade; Wrath of the Lich King and Cataclysm with Mists of Pandaria about to be released, the fact that we have Anduin at the age of fourteen at the end of Cataclysm shows that there is a solid year between expansions with absolutely no room for gaps in the time line.

After a bit of research, which included the watching of the original cinematic for vanilla wow, I have come up with four years from the battle of Mt Hyjal to the events of vanillla wow. When added to the one year per expansion that Blizzard has kept to, and is born out by Anduin's age, we get approximately 8 years between the third war and mists of pandaria, making http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_(unofficial) the more accurate timeline to use.
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
09/15/2012 11:50 AMPosted by Dragonheals

Actually in the prologue to Rise of the Horde i believe it was stated that Velen was already pretty old for an Eredar of that time. Assuming they had lifespans like they do now even back then, Velen is well over 25,000 years old (since the Draenei split from the eredar around that time).

Edit: But OP I would think that perhaps 26,000 maybe 26,500 or so would be a bit better (though dont just accept it if you dont want to XD) that way she could still have been young at the time of the split from the Eredar, but still be experienced.
Edited by Barodne on 9/16/2012 12:30 AM PDT
Reply Quote
71 Draenei Warrior
09/16/2012 12:28 AMPosted by Barodne

Actually in the prologue to Rise of the Horde i believe it was stated that Velen was already pretty old for an Eredar of that time. Assuming they had lifespans like they do now even back then, Velen is well over 25,000 years old (since the Draenei split from the eredar around that time).

Edit: But OP I would think that perhaps 26,000 maybe 26,500 or so would be a bit better (though dont just accept it if you dont want to XD) that way she could still have been young at the time of the split from the Eredar, but still be experienced.

Yeah, that and the Unofficial Timeline is what I was going off of mostly; seeing that Velen was already much older when Sargeras first popped up made me go 'Hm, well that's interesting. More age options!' But yeah. Still working on laying out my personal timeline and doing the calculations ;P
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
Another thing to keep in mind is that it's been explicitly stated multiple times that draenei rarely, if ever, keep track of their age. Mainly because they... don't really age at all xD.

Velen could be saying that he's 25,000 years old, when in actuality, he only started counting 25,000 years ago. I mean, if I lived that long, I'd probably just round it off to a nice even number like that too :P.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
Another thing to keep in mind is that it's been explicitly stated multiple times that draenei rarely, if ever, keep track of their age. Mainly because they... don't really age at all xD.

Velen could be saying that he's 25,000 years old, when in actuality, he only started counting 25,000 years ago. I mean, if I lived that long, I'd probably just round it off to a nice even number like that too :P.

it never really is explicitly stated that draenei are, in fact, immortal

they could just be REALLY REALLY long lived
Edited by Dragonheals on 9/16/2012 9:24 AM PDT
Reply Quote
15 Draenei Shaman
The thing is that the definition of immortality varies depending upon what you are discussing.

If by immortal you mean can't be killed, then no... draenei are not immortal (only god-like beings such as Cenaris (sp?) would be classified like this since they can return even after death).

If you mean won't die of natural causes... then draenei might fall into this category.

If you mean are so long lived that they are practically eternal, then yes... draenei are definitely like this... as are Night Elves and possibly Blood Elves (the former especially before the 3rd war).

Now the question is... how long does it take a Draenei to finish their training? You could have been anywhere from 20 to over 1000 years old before the exodus from Argus. We only know that Valen was already old when the exodus happened 25,000 years ago, but we don't know how old that was... especially for a long lived race like draenei. So it is very possible you can make your character like that.

The only real question is that if you are that old... why are you just now starting your adventures? the simplest one is that you got tired of just guarding towns or the Exodar and want to see the wider world. The only reason all the guards around town are at max level is really for game mechanics (to discourage casual PvP against quest hubs and such by low to mid level players). There is no real reason why you couldn't have been one such guard at one of the various settlements over the millenia. For the most part, it would be a fairly undemanding job that wouldn't require you to be of advanced levels... at least not until recently. Remember... levels and such are game mechanics to keep things in balance... real people don't have an experience level as such... just more or less experience.

As for the timeline question, the best information I can find says it has been 10 years since the end of the 3rd war (vanilla started 4 years after WC3, BC 1 year after that, Lich King 1 year after that and Cataclysm 3 years after that... and now Mists is 1 year after Cataclysm). Most of the quests in Cataclysm seem to support this (such as the Defias Brotherhood being scattered 5 years ago... between Vanila and BC).
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
As for the timeline question, the best information I can find says it has been 10 years since the end of the 3rd war (vanilla started 4 years after WC3, BC 1 year after that, Lich King 1 year after that and Cataclysm 3 years after that... and now Mists is 1 year after Cataclysm). Most of the quests in Cataclysm seem to support this (such as the Defias Brotherhood being scattered 5 years ago... between Vanila and BC).

you seem to have missed anduins age argument

if the official timeline is correct it would be year 29 because anduin is 14, he was 10 in vanilla
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
If by immortal you mean can't be killed, then no... draenei are not immortal (only god-like beings such as Cenaris (sp?) would be classified like this since they can return even after death).

If you mean won't die of natural causes... then draenei might fall into this category.

If you mean are so long lived that they are practically eternal, then yes... draenei are definitely like this... as are Night Elves and possibly Blood Elves (the former especially before the 3rd war).

not mortal; not liable or subject to death; undying:

that is the exact definition of immortal
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
09/16/2012 09:23 AMPosted by Dragonheals
it never really is explicitly stated that draenei are, in fact, immortal

I never said they were immortal at any point in my post, lol.
I merely stated they hardly age ever ^.^
Reply Quote
29 Draenei Shaman
09/16/2012 10:17 AMPosted by Umbria
We only know that Valen was already old when the exodus happened 25,000 years ago,

Velen was already old when the exodus happened, true. He was one of the leaders approached by Sargeras on Argus, the other two were Archimonde and Kil'jaeden. Velen had a vision of what would become of his people if they followed Sargeras and refused. He took as many of his people as he could on the original exodus, who eventually started calling themselves the Draenei or "exiled ones". Prior to this exodus, Draenei were eredar.

However, I would like to see where your reasoning for that exodus being 25 000 years ago comes from as I can't seem to find it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]