Noob Question: What does OP mean?

Hi, I'm pretty new to WoW and everything here, and didn't know where to ask this. I've been seeing the abbreviation "OP" everywhere lately on the forums, and know that one version means Original Poster, meaning the person who started a thread.

I've been seeing it also in threads (and replies) talking about OP death knights or OP priests, or OP somebody this and that, and such and wondered what it meant in those terms. Are people meaning something like "over-powered" or over powering as OP too? I've been seeing the term a lot now after this new patch was brought out...

I'm sorry this is such a noobie question, but it's just been driving me crazy. Thanks for any help!
Reply Quote
MVP - World of Warcraft
100 Blood Elf Hunter
Yep, you figured it out. :) In regards to forums, OP often means "original poster" or "original post."

In regards to the game in general, OP means "overpowered."

You'd have to check the context of what it's being used in to be sure of which they mean. :D
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OP

:D

Really what Cerylia said though. If you see something like @OP or in the OP it's talking about the original post or poster. If you see something like DKs are OP then they mean Deathkinghts are Overpowered.
Reply Quote
Shadow Priests are sooooo ridiculously OP (in PVP) right now it's not even funny.

just sayin'
Reply Quote
60 Troll Hunter
My PvP mage feels like Hunters are OP

A hunter friend says it's 6 years of frost nova coming back at me QQ
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
it can mean:

original poster
original post
overpowered
overpower (old warrior ability)
Reply Quote
To: Cerylia, Dasffion, Baloo, Jilixx, and Robokapp-Thanks for letting me know! Sorry to bother you guys with something so simple, but i just wasn't sure.

Thanks for the help!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/15/2012 10:12 AMPosted by Martika
Thanks for letting me know! Sorry to bother you guys with something so simple, but i just wasn't sure.

It's no bother, really. The regulars hang out in this forum just to answer questions, it doesn't matter whether the questions are basic or elaborate.
Reply Quote
85 Human Priest
Shadow Priests are sooooo ridiculously OP (in PVP) right now it's not even funny.

just sayin'

Priests get one nice thing for about a couple months once every 8 years. ...Give us a break! Haha.
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
09/15/2012 11:31 AMPosted by Avanna
Thanks for letting me know! Sorry to bother you guys with something so simple, but i just wasn't sure.

It's no bother, really. The regulars hang out in this forum just to answer questions, it doesn't matter whether the questions are basic or elaborate.

I like the easy questions. I don't have to watch my language to make sure I don't slip into a billion accronyms that a new player would never figure out. Like "LF2M H HoO DPS pref CC PST".
Reply Quote
100 Troll Mage
09/16/2012 12:15 AMPosted by Robokapp
LF2M H HoO DPS pref CC PST

Looking for two more heroic halls of origination damage per second prefer Crowd Control Please send tell

That is a mouthful lol
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Hunter
09/18/2012 10:26 AMPosted by Hiroran
LF2M H HoO DPS pref CC PST

Looking for two more heroic halls of origination damage per second prefer Crowd Control Please send tell

That is a mouthful lol

I do have trouble imagining a scenario in which this message would be sent.

Even back in the early Cata days Halls of Origination was not IIRC one of the really bad heroics (H Stonecore has the dubious honor) and I can't really think of a reason why not simply using LFD to fill the DPS spots is preferable. Now if we are talking about ZA I'd understand...
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
there's those two or three pulls that get ugly without a fe cc or interrupts. :)

woul you pefer "H MGT" instead?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
There was a time when rogues were considered OP, but since so many misspell it "rouge" it was assumed that the "OP" meant "over-powdered."

Edit: unless it has already been linked, there's a sticky on this page about WoW abbreviations:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2228418470
Edited by Pewfy on 9/19/2012 1:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Oh thank you Pewfy for the link, that's a godsend for someone like me! It answers a lot of abbreviations questions I might have had!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]