What do you look for in a guild?

90 Undead Mage
Seeing so many guilds recruiting (and trying to recruit for my own guild; pretty unsuccessfully) got me wondering...

What exactly are you looking for when in search of a (new) guild to join?

Do you want a guild to be level capped with a fully-stocked bank that has hundreds of thousands of gold so you never have to pay for your own repairs/mats?

Do you like guilds that bribe you with money/mount training/profession training for things like earning the guild XP or just logging in every day?

Do you only look for a guild run by someone who completed heroic raiding pre-nerfs, or while the nerf percentage was still minimal?

Is it big roster numbers you want? Despite the fact that in most guilds with large rosters the level of communication is on par w/ *crickets*??

Perhaps you only like a guild that makes you go to their website and apply? Does the idea of no casuals appeal more to your taste?

What turns you away from joining smaller guilds that are in need of quality players to help them grow? Do you think that all new guilds are destined to fail?

Do you look mainly to be carried? Do you not want to contribute? Would you rather your guild do all the guesswork/footwork FOR you?

I'm genuinely curious about this (minus any dumb answers) because it feels like trying to catch smoke recruiting behind all of the level capped guilds on the realm that can seem to offer more...but then don't really live up to their offer. I had toons in a few big guilds; all I could say is - big numbers and tag of being lvl 25 doesn't always equal a quality guild.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
09/18/2012 10:57 AMPosted by Redwingsfan

Cool people, skilled at their class and the game in general - makes raiding enjoyable

Do you want a guild to be level capped with a fully-stocked bank that has hundreds of thousands of gold so you never have to pay for your own repairs/mats?

Don't care!

Do you like guilds that bribe you with money/mount training/profession training for things like earning the guild XP or just logging in every day?

I hate this, though involvement is fun... just without the pressure and bribery.

Do you only look for a guild run by someone who completed heroic raiding pre-nerfs, or while the nerf percentage was still minimal?

Nope, group kills a boss, not a leader.

Is it big roster numbers you want? Despite the fact that in most guilds with large rosters the level of communication is on par w/ *crickets*??

Security that the guild will continue raiding would be more important than simply more people...

Perhaps you only like a guild that makes you go to their website and apply? Does the idea of no casuals appeal more to your taste?

Applications are annoying... but it is SOME assurance that people are taking it slightly more serious. Some people/guilds can put in 'casual' time, and still be very successful

What turns you away from joining smaller guilds that are in need of quality players to help them grow? Do you think that all new guilds are destined to fail?

I'm torn on this one, because I know there are tons of amazing players out there, with incredible potential. The idea of growing with a smaller guild is appealing, so long as every player who's showing up regularly actually wants to improve, and has the capacity. I think new guilds with a wicked environment have great potential

Do you look mainly to be carried? Do you not want to contribute? Would you rather your guild do all the guesswork/footwork FOR you?

I expect to carry! and am pleasantly surprised when others match my efforts. Guilds should expect a lot from each individual player, and more so 'tie it all together' than do all the footwork

A guild is an enjoyable group of people working together for something, be it Raids, PvP, casual whatever... As long as you're achieving whatever it is you aimed for, and enjoying yourself while with them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This is kind of a fun and interesting article although for most of the guilds I've seen on Mal'Ganis, they usually are effective in only some of these areas where other areas severely lack.

Great, not good players, good raiding times for myself, good personalities, period.

Couldn't really care less, people should be able to be responsible for themselves since gold is so easy to come by.

Never been in one of those, I would use it for levelling at the most, probably wouldn't stay long term

Depends on the state of the guild really, who the leaders are, who the people on their raiding team is, if they server transferred, but generally yes.

I find for the most part small roster guilds are generally crickets anyway, so I would take the bigger roster.

I hate all guilds that make you use websites to make you apply, takes the personality out of the process

Mostly guild perks honestly which is the vast majority of why people buy level 25 guilds, why the higher level guilds are generally more successful, etc.

This is a pretty dumb question since people who do get carried either won't recognize it/are in a guild so bad that they actually look pretty average to the rest of the members, generally by comparing myself to sims, etc, I find I am well ahead of the skill curve

I'm genuinely curious about this (minus any dumb answers) because it feels like trying to catch smoke recruiting behind all of the level capped guilds on the realm that can seem to offer more...but then don't really live up to their offer. I had toons in a few big guilds; all I could say is - big numbers and tag of being lvl 25 doesn't always equal a quality guild.

No it doesn't, but more established guilds will generally be way ahead of the curve over the many new, smaller guilds. The simple reason is in one word: experience
Guild masters and officers still have a decent role to play to keep a guild successful in whatever it wants to do which is usually PvPing or Raiding, leveling guilds I disregard for the most part, but they know what they are looking for, how to evaluate people, etc.
They know what they are doing, period.

I think the real problem lies in the fact that the community isn't really there on Mal'Ganis, since its mostly troll chat in Orgrimmar and the lack of communication is most guilds, you just have a lack of personality, and for the most part guilds are pretty vanilla in Mal'Ganis. Esp with the huge population and people just coming and going between your choice of level 25 guild, people just don't really care as much, and that is a problem in small and large guilds.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
I'm digging this feedback. Would appreciate more just like it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock

Mainly looking for experienced players that are very skilled at the game, not just okay. Raiding times that fit my schedule, as well as people that are just overall nice to talk to.

Dont really care, have plenty of gold myself.

I really dont mind it, like it doesnt turn me away. But usually I see guilds doing this with very small payouts, so its usually laughable...in a way it might be better to not have this, unless you have a ton of gold to give away.

Yes. Completing DS at 25% is really nothing to brag about. I mean it all depends on when the guild formed & such, but having completed pre-nerf, or at least soon after is a plus.

I like small rosters. Having social players in the guild doesnt bother me much, but having multiple raid groups is not only confusing, but it takes away from that tight-nit guild atmosphere. That is also why I prefer 10 to 25man, it just makes it more personable and friendly.

I actually dislike when a guild makes you go on their website to apply. It really is a bunch of useless questions and a big waste of time on my part if you dont accept me. I enjoyed applying for guilds via vent interview, or even just a trial in the raid. I feel actually seeing a player raid is the best way to see if they are good. What someone types in a forum isnt always the same as how they actually play/act. And as I said before, dont really care about casuals.

The main reason smaller/new guilds dont work out in my opinion is because people dont show up. I understand that having subs is annoying (I dislike them too) but sometimes you just have to have them. A bunch of new guilds dont have very trustworthy players (as they are all new to everyone), so you never know if they arent going to show up. Having backup can be nice.

I look to contribute my part, but not carry the guild. As a member of a guild, I dont think I should be the one explaining things. Yes I understand sometimes people work together and input ideas, but I feel the raid leader should already know exactly what they are doing, and how to explain it to everyone. Not saying I or the other members shouldnt have studied the fight, but still. So basically what Im saying is the members should not look to be carried, but the raid leader should still act as if they are carrying them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I do care about:
Honest and reinforced priorities (raiding vs pvp vs social).
Highly competent and mature leadership.
Personal responsibility.
A maintained, positive reputation (ie no trolls that thrive on drama).
Well defined rules on participation and performance, and their subsequent rewards.
Cohesion between members on social and gameplay levels.
Longevity (this doesn't only necessarily mean a long history, but also a long future).
AMBITION: A guild should always be striving. A lack of motivation is contagious.

I do not care about:
Guild perks
Gold benefits
Claimed accomplishments that can't be verified
Any timesinks that take away from raiding/challenge modes
Excuses
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Warlock
I want an active roster with a strong raid with good raid leaders. Level 25 would be nice and if the guild helps out with repairs/flasks/pots on raid days but if not that's ok so long as it's a competitive raid run. Also no loot ragers lol
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
I've been thinking seriously of xferring to Mal'Ganis in the near future so I've been looking at a lot of guilds in advance to see if there are any 'perfect' fits for me. If been thinking about this stuff a lot myself from the other side of the fence, so maybe I can be of some sort of help w/ my answers.

Being level capped doesn't matter to me. Sometimes I'll intentionally join a lower leveled guild when leveling alts just to help out a little. Main thing for me is that I'm asked personally about joining, not just spammed an invite or a macro. If someone personally asks if I want to join their guild I almost always join. Gold/mats in the bank is irrelevant to me. I always have taken care of my own stuff in that regard. I'll use the guilds if it's available, but I have my own just in case.

I don't think I'd join a guild that did that. Reeks of desperation IMO. Gold has rarely been an issue for me as I enjoy the AH aspect of the game. I DO like guild repairs turned on though... I figure that's a decent enough perk since an active person in a guild will bring in quite a lot of gold weekly just from questing/dungeons/etc. It's not a deal breaker but it's nice to know that your guild leader isn't being stingy about something relatively small like that.

I want someone who knows what they are doing as far as leading raids, but I don't care about past progression as long as it wasn't horrible. If at least a few heroic bosses have been downed that's good enough for me, personally... even after the nerfs.

I tend to shy away from HUGE guilds. Should be the raiding core + a handful of non-raiding social members and then a bunch of alts of the people I just mentioned. Those super massive guilds that just invite everyone that isn't already guilded and doesn't screen their members AT ALL are a huge turn off to me. The guild has to have at least SOME kind of standards for acceptance.

Yes, this is more my style. I wouldn't say 'no casuals' necessarily but it's nice to know that I'm not playing with people whose skills and more importantly, personality are completely unknown to the guild leadership. Doesn't need to be crazy strict but there should be some sort of barrier to entry to keep the horrible or 'gimme gold plz' or 'only there to troll his guildmates' people out.

Mostly I just want to feel assured that the guild has a strong core and are good quality people. Know how to play their classes reasonably well and are fun to be online with. I dig that 'family' vibe that some guilds have, although that is getting more rare nowadays because of 'Looking For Group/Raid' systems. Somewhat mature as well is nice to see.

Wouldn't join a guild if I felt I was being carried, unless it was when I FIRST joined and I was behind on gear/progression myself. I'd want to be contributing ASAP. I'd expect the guild to handle the majority of the overall strategies we'd be employing but I'd do all my class rotation research and whatnot myself.

This wasn't asked, but it also important to me to be doing 25 man raiding. 25's just have a different vibe and I really don't care much for 10's. They feel less epic to me and it's more annoying to get loot when there is only a couple pieces dropping off each boss, even IF there are less people competing for it. 25's are a must for me.

Hope this was some sort of help and good luck w/ your guild. A lot of people will be returning next week and maybe you can snag some of them?
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
That's the outlook I'm keeping.

Once again I'm really loving the feedback I'm getting from the posters here.

It's providing some insight into why recruiting is such a pain in the butt.

Keep going :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Seeing so many guilds recruiting (and trying to recruit for my own guild; pretty unsuccessfully) got me wondering...

Until I know the people, primarily I want a guild that says the do what I do. Personally, I'd be interested in a guild that advertised world pvp, ganking, and battlegrounds, and casual non-raiding PVE

Level capped yes. Guild bank is irrelevant. Repairs are a plus.
Guild perks are freebies, why not take them if you have the choice between a level 5 guild that says they're what you want, and a level 25 that says the same. Same goes for repairs. As for the guild bank, I've never really used them in any of the guilds I've been in.

Never seen this really, but it can't hurt. I wanted to offer rewards to people who had the top honorable kills per week, or world honorable kills per week... because 'guild activity' is irrelevant to a 25 guild... but, data mining has been nerfed so its hard to pull that data easily, and I don't expect people to install addons

N/A, I don't raid and don't care about others raiding experience. Same goes for their RBG or Arena rating. I don't think the GM's experience matters, considering that's not my area of interest at least

Eh, kinda. I'd rather have 5 people online that talk than 20 that are silent. I don't like it so chatty that you can't keep up with reading it though. 200 to 400 members is a good target if they're active and interesting

No. I like having a guild webpage, but its more just a fun thing for current members or if people wanna find out more information, but applications aren't for me. I prefer guilds that are open to everyone and don't generally carry requirements, but again, that's in line with question 1

Guild perks and lack of repuation. With many options, I think I'm more likely to go with something I know about and something with perks

I don't get this. I don't do professions while leveling, I don't understand people who are always asking for stuff or wanting carries through leveling content, or are always broke. I'm self-sufficient so I am baffled by those who always need stuff. Guilds are social/perks for me.

I first joined a guild with the cataclysm pre-patch when perks were introduced. Its turned into a fun social experience, but they're not important overall to my play... at this point though, its silly to be unguilded
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
Yeah, never quite understood the people who are adamently against ever joining a guild.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock

###Cool, fun people that know their class, the game and how to raid properly. I also look for people dedicated enough to improve themselves or at least try getting geared on their own and leveling up their own professions.People that have raided in TBC, WOTLK or Cata.. would be great if the group raided since TBC!

##I farm. It would be great to have a flask or potion handed here and there but I'm so used to farming it myself now that it barely matters. Higher level used to mean established. Having all tabs generally means established. Full guild bank shows member dedication (Minus trash/junk) and establishment.

####No, but I'd log in to assist. I play regardless whether or not I'm off raid nights.

####Either. I honestly stopped playing for a while because I stupidly xfered off for a little while to follow a guild that just died on a low pop server, big mistake and there was never a fighting chance to see content on that server.. It was ranked 5th from last in progression (as a server)

##No.

####Honestly, kind of. Shows a serious and honest potential for the guild. I like looking at their WoLs and them at mine... It's nice to see if people can stand out of fire. lol

####Most are power hungry people, loot wh***s, as you can say. Typically, a tank/heal GM is a pretty good idea, but not absolutely necessary. Most new guilds make empty promises when there's nothing to back it up. It's not every day you see a new guild pop up and keep their core, raid on time, every week and every time set. I. Don't. Like. Wasting. Time.

####This irks me.How many guilds seriously carry someone? I doubt guilds like Vigil, OLN and so on got where they are by "carrying" people... ANYHOW. Once my guild died on my low pop server, I found guilds here and there of members that tried to make their own because they didn't want another loot wh**e GM. I didn't see T6 back in the day by getting my hand held. Did you honestly play back then? You had to know your class, cc and the works.. anyhow. I Pretty much pugged most of WOTLK with a ton of breaks... and pugged most of Cata. It's hard to find a stable guild and a guild that can get things done and aren't all about the loot and are fair about it.

I'm genuinely curious about this (minus any dumb answers) because it feels like trying to catch smoke recruiting behind all of the level capped guilds on the realm that can seem to offer more...but then don't really live up to their offer. I had toons in a few big guilds; all I could say is - big numbers and tag of being lvl 25 doesn't always equal a quality guild

###Level doesn't mean anything... They removed limits so it is absolutely possible to get a 25 guild very quickly, now. Which in turn means... Those with every single tab unlocked usually meat stable, established guild and now... getting that gold is't exactly difficult.
Edited by Numina on 9/20/2012 2:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Mage
09/20/2012 02:36 PMPosted by Numina
I didn't see T6 back in the day by getting my hand held. Did you honestly play back then?

Yes, I did, in fact. And it was a joke and a half because of the "mandatory 25man" raid content. Due to that I didn't get to see ANY of T6. My "end game" in TBC was finishing Zul'aman because getting a 25man raid set up if you weren't in one of 2-3 guilds was impossible. And even if you DID manage it you'd fall apart before you even got to the first boss.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
Luckily, they did learn from the previous games. Could you imagine 40 people doing spine? xD

There's freedom with 10 and 25, finally. This gives low, new servers a chance to do raids.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warrior
In the beginning of this post I feel I'm in the same boat as you Redwingsfan.

Heck my guild is almost going downhill due to lot of Level 25 guilds on my server. yet, here's my theory as far as why people want to join level 25 guilds (its just a theory so please no negative commentary):

-They prefer to join a level 25 because they don't want to take the time to work with the guild to leveling the guild within dungeons,pvp raids etc. plus they don't understand that the level 25 guilds were originally low level guilds who had to work as one to level the guild to where it is.

However, If I hadn't made this guild. The kind of guild I would be looking for would be one that is friendly, helpful, generous, isn't obsessed over what faction you favor, likes making WoW Machinima with their fellow members, and so on.

But yeah, I feel that I am in the same boat as you.
Edited by Lepidus on 10/13/2012 9:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Puppies
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]