Wait, *why* was 8x dropped?

94 Night Elf Rogue
So I see in the sticky that the max multisampling on the Mac Client is now 4x. This doesn't seem to solve any of the issues I was previously having with multisampling interacting poorly with Liquid Detail or Sunshafts (read: it didn't fix anything, at least for me), so can I ask why was it dropped to 4x?
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Technical Support isn't really equipped to answer this question, but we can look into the issue you are having. Can you post a screenshot?

Also, can you post your system specs and describe what you set your graphics to to get the issue to happen?

1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
    2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
Liquid detail and sunshaft should work fine with multisampling. Are you having problems? Can you post a screenshot?
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Rogue
It... okay, maybe I spoke too soon? Or maybe it was the 10.7.5 update I just installed that fixed it, but apparently the issue I'd had since 4.0.6 where multisampling doesn't work with high Liquid Detail or Sunshafts doesn't exist anymore.

I'd still be curious as to why 8x was taken out (and this is probably the best way I have of asking the Mac devs), but apparently I can now use both multisampling and the water effects that were added in Cata.
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
yeah you can use em both at same time, but i too am a little curious why it only goes up to 4x. 8x yeilded smoother results then 4x
Blizzard Employee
We will reconsider supporting 8x but it was mainly to avoid really bad bugs that happen when the resolution is high. Basically the driver will run out of VRAM and we have no way to detect that.
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Rogue
I have a Radeon 5750 1GB and always ran 8x without issues. Maybe 8x could be allowed for 1GB cards? You can at least detect the amount on the card, right?
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee
This is a possibility. Yes, we can detect the amount of VRAM, that's not a problem.
Reply Quote
94 Night Elf Rogue
Good to hear, thanks. :)
Reply Quote
MVP - Technical Support
100 Human Warrior
What he means is, amount of vram being used by OS X, or other programs, and how much is actually available to app is not always easy. I do know what was it 4.1 o 4.2 which TRIES to make sure 80% of vram is available to app, but that too is limited by by if it's actually available when app is launched. I suppose these are all just apple limitations in APIs. does 10.8 have nothing for this with the new core graphics nonsense?

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]