The desire for Lordaeron

90 Human Warrior
This is not a thread over which group has a claim to Lordaeron, in fact beyond this sentence I will attempt to avoid talking about rights to land.

Instead this thread will focus on why a large number of Alliance players in particualar focus so much time and attention on the continent of Lordaeron and why they wish to take the continent despite any logical or illogical reason for why it will not happen.

Let me begin by saying that I am one of those players. I will do my best not be biased in this but if I do let my biases show I appologise.

For many of the older players our attachment to the continent began with Warcraft 2 when Lordaeron was introduced. As someone who enjoys stories about medieval societies I found Lordaeron to be a fun introduction, especially since it was described as an idealic Arthurian nation. The other nations also caught my attention. The spartan like nation of Stromgarde. The closed off and stuborn nation of Gilneas. The more sinister side shown through Alterac. And Dalaran, the mage kingdom.

In warcraft 3 all of them were either wiped off the map, closed off from the world, forgotten, and/or consumed by the Scourge. For players it was not so much that the Alliance lost the battles, in fact one needed to win the campaign to reach the end. But when players reached the end of the Alliance campaign we were greeted by the a scene that ecentially said, congradulations you lost.

From a story telling perspective this is not a poor means of telling a story, on contrary this ending made players care more about the story because we wanted to continue the fight. However, in World of Warcraft the Alliance is not given the opertunity to fight back in an attempt to reclaim Lordaeron except at Andorhal. The story for the battle itself aside once again Alliance players were put into a situation where we fought well, and then lost.

This is where we come to the problem. Since Warcraft 3 the Alliance forces on Lordaeron have been placed into situations where they are given two choices, run or die. In short and to be blunt, I am tired of being told to run. Other Alliance players I believe are also tired of this which is why they address situations (both legitimate and otherwise) that relate to Lordaeron with so much passion. Whether you ascribe this to role playing or to stubbornness for many players this might explain why they react the way they do.

In my opinion there is a way to rememdy this situation at least a little. Do to the reality that retaking Lordaeron is not a possibility from a story telling or game play rational in WoW I will not suggest that (at least not serriously). Instead something that I think most Horde players as well as Alliance players would approve of would work better in the life of WoW. Stromgarde. If the Alliance succeeded in retaking this city and giving the Alliance a situation where they can win and not have to run it might go a long way to easing this sense of loss that many Alliance player have held for some time.

I hope this made sense and I appologise for ranting :).
Reply Quote
Simply mentioning Lordaeron will turn this into a Lordaeron thread
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
DID SOMEBODY SAY LORDAERON!?!?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
Oh Goddess! *Runs and ducks for cover*
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
Personally I think the same people who want Lordaeron back to the Alliance are the same ones who want High Elves as an Alliance player race (for lore reasons not "I wish my belf could be alliance coz she's too cute for horde").

In all reality, there is nothing left in Lordaeron for a majority of humanity. Sure there's a small group of human survivors, unable to move on but the story written in stone is Lordaeron's citizenry is largely still there, as the Forsaken. They are no longer humans, but they are still living in their homes, taking responsibility for their land and trying to pick up where they left off. The threshold has been passed, just like with the Blood Elves. Most high elves were killed during the fall of Quel'thalas, those whom survived, 90% call themselves Blood Elves. A scattered remnant of Quel'dorei remain but they should be calling cities like SW, Dalaran (and until recently, Theramore) their new home.

For players who want to "reclaim Lordaeron" for the Alliance, whom exactly is going to live there? The some 5% of humans who survived? There are Forsaken whom hail from Stormwind, should their minority be able to demand Stormwind for the Forsaken as well? What victory is there in winning a bunch of ruins? Former glory to a long since dead kingdom? There is nothing to run from any more, it's over and has been for 10 years now. Given the political situation, it's the warmongering that keeps the human survivors of Lordaeron from returning home to live as neighbours with the Forsaken. In neutral circles, Forsaken work side-by-side with humans (and other Alliance races) in a trusting partnership, and don't have some latent urge to devour their skin for the hell of it (which is the myth the human survivors of Lordaeron couldn't seem to get around).
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
09/20/2012 07:42 PMPosted by Suraia
but the story written in stone is Lordaeron's citizenry is largely still there, as the Forsaken. They are no longer humans, but they are still living in their homes, taking responsibility for their land and trying to pick up where they left off.

Nope.

This is like saying that most of Stormwind's population was still there after the Second War, they were just corpses and therefore the "minority of survivors" had no claim to it.
Edited by Vyrin on 9/20/2012 7:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
For players who want to "reclaim Lordaeron" for the Alliance, whom exactly is going to live there? The some 5% of humans who survived?

If by "5%" you mean "most Humans alive now are of Lordaeron origin" then you'd be correct.

There is nothing to run from any more, it's over and has been for 10 years now.

That's certainly not the impression that Hillsbrad gives, where the Forsaken continue the Scourging that the Lich King started.

Given the political situation, it's the warmongering that keeps the human survivors of Lordaeron from returning home to live as neighbours with the Forsaken.

You don't even have a basic or rudimentary understanding of what happened and continues to happen in Lordaeron. Go back to the general forums.

(which is the myth the human survivors of Lordaeron couldn't seem to get around).

They seemed to get around it just fine until the Forsaken killed and ate them for the hell of it.

You were talking about myths? Your entire post is one long myth that has absolutely zero lore basis.
Edited by Vyrin on 9/20/2012 7:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
09/20/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Vyrin
but the story written in stone is Lordaeron's citizenry is largely still there, as the Forsaken. They are no longer humans, but they are still living in their homes, taking responsibility for their land and trying to pick up where they left off.

Nope.

This is like saying that most of Stormwind's population was still there after the Second War, they were just corpses and therefore the "minority of survivors" had no claim to it.
No it's not. Forsaken are sentient and "alive". Those who fell in SW are dead and remain as such. Illegitimizing the Forsaken seems rather precarious, no?
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
09/20/2012 07:55 PMPosted by Suraia
No it's not. Forsaken are sentient and "alive". Those who fell in SW are dead and remain as such. Illegitimizing the Forsaken seems rather precarious, no?

The Forsaken are just as dead as they are, the only difference being they're animated by dark magic.

"animated" is not the same as "alive" and "sentient" is irrelevent. We know that sentience doesn't end with death anyway.

And the Forsaken have absolutely zero legitimacy. I don't need to illegitimize them because they're already illegitimate.
Edited by Vyrin on 9/20/2012 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10 Night Elf Hunter
09/20/2012 07:54 PMPosted by Vyrin
For players who want to "reclaim Lordaeron" for the Alliance, whom exactly is going to live there? The some 5% of humans who survived?

If by "5%" you mean "most Humans alive now are of Lordaeron origin" then you'd be correct.
Proof? I mean really, prove it please. with numbers, not your insane rambling.

There is nothing to run from any more, it's over and has been for 10 years now.

That's certainly not the impression that Hillsbrad gives, where the Forsaken continue the Scourging that the Lich King started.[/quote] Ah Hillsbrad, yes. Hillsbrad, as far as Im concerned is no different from Horde aggression anywhere else on the world. THere's nothing special about it.

Given the political situation, it's the warmongering that keeps the human survivors of Lordaeron from returning home to live as neighbours with the Forsaken.

You don't even have a basic or rudimentary understanding of what happened and continues to happen in Lordaeron. Go back to the general forums.
LOL, the troll had a nerve struck. Suppress your mindless Lordaeron rage you zealot.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I'd prefer to build some new kingdoms. But Blizzard is hellbent on making Stormwind the only human kingdom.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
09/20/2012 07:57 PMPosted by Suraia
Proof? I mean really, prove it please. with numbers, not your insane rambling.

Just as soon as you source your "5%" figure.

Go on.

Ah Hillsbrad, yes. Hillsbrad, as far as Im concerned is no different from Horde aggression anywhere else on the world. THere's nothing special about it.

Except the Forsaken were attacking and massacring Hillsbrad's population since Vanilla. Hell, they've been attacking humans unprovoked since Warcraft 3.

LOL, the troll had a nerve struck. Suppress your mindless Lordaeron rage you zealot.

Yes, ignorance does strike nerves.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
I think people are looking at the whole claim to Lordaeron the wrong way. Yes those alive have the legitimate claim to the kingdom. Just GL kicking the undead out of the city as well as the rest of the Horde.

At this point the city is now a Horde city by right of conquest.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/20/2012 07:38 PMPosted by Lothir
DID SOMEBODY SAY LORDAERON!?!?
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
My record for derailed threads continues. /sigh

Anyway, Suraia, I agree that not all of the reasons for wanting Lordaeron back are rational in the Lore. Some are, some are not and most have agrued to death and beated into dust.

However this is not the thread for that. I was attempting to show why Alliance players want to reclaim Lordaeron even if they acknowledge that it is unlikely to happen.

And Vyrin.

Not this time, please.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/20/2012 07:58 PMPosted by Sternbridge
I'd prefer to build some new kingdoms. But Blizzard is hellbent on making Stormwind the only human kingdom.

I agree, we should expand into the Burning Steppes with the fall of the black dragons and with Moria as a leader in Iron Forge we should be able to route out the rest of the blackrock orcs and claim those areas for the Alliance.
Reply Quote
25 Blood Elf Paladin
And Vyrin.

Not this time, please.

Look at Saraia's post. Not a single thing that it said was accurate and I'm not going to let such ignorance stand unopposed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
09/20/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Vyrin
Didn't take you long to spout your usual BS Vyrin. I see you crashing this thread into the ground with your surreal nonsense by page 3.

Good to see it didn't take long for you to post absolutely nothing aside from the usual garbage and insults to cover the fact that you can't string two ideas together on the subject.

I remember you having a theory about "Buffer means to completely change", and getting about a thousand people destroying your argument for it's illogical foolishness. And 'I' can't string two ideas together?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]