The big List of Overrated Games

90 Blood Elf Death Knight
1: Guild Wars 2
After playing since it's head-start release I've realized the game is a lot of key spamming, essentially, with a worse grind for levels than WoW. WvW is a joke and the voice acting is the worst I've heard in a while. Avoid.
2: Skyrim
After being fun for a couple months, even with the expansions and mods it's just a buggy boring mess.
3: Minecraft
Since 2010 it's been one of the most overrated game's I've ever seen. With mods, it still gets boring. Fast.
4: Team Fortress 2
This one I'll probably get the most arguments for. To me, it's just a boring brony-filled hat simulator.

These are MY opinions, feel free to argue.
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Warlock
1. I have only just started GW2 so I cant make any concrete judgments but so far I am having fun, I in no way expect this to replace wow I plan on playing both

2. I completely disagree, but this is because of mods I could never play a bethesda game without mods. But with mods there are just a lot of fun things to do, running into warzones of 50+ NPCs ending up having to fight 3-5 difficult dragons at once, turning half of fort dawnguard into vampires only to watch them slaughter each other (I was particularly proud of that last one); but as you said these are your opinions and I would never try and force mine on other people.

never touched the other 2 so I dont have an opinion on em.
Reply Quote
87 Tauren Death Knight
I haven't tried GW2 yet.

Not everyone on TF2 is a horse-lover.

>opinions
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Druid
Honestly, I would include WoW as an "overrated" game these days, except that I'm not exactly sure people are rating it highly anymore. I suppose we won't know how over or under rated this game is until the MoP reviews hit, but in terms of comparing experience-to-reputation, it is fair to suggest that the game currently enjoys a much higher reputation than the actual playing experience delivers.
Reply Quote
87 Gnome Priest
1: Guild Wars 2
After playing since it's head-start release I've realized the game is a lot of key spamming, essentially, with a worse grind for levels than WoW. WvW is a joke and the voice acting is the worst I've heard in a while. Avoid.

Bandwagon junky

After being fun for a couple months, even with the expansions and mods it's just a buggy boring mess.

PS3 rage talking

3: Minecraft
Since 2010 it's been one of the most overrated game's I've ever seen. With mods, it still gets boring. Fast.

OP suffers from a complete lack of imagination.

This one I'll probably get the most arguments for. To me, it's just a boring brony-filled hat simulator.

5+ years and still going strong. I guess the OP hates a thinking mans FPS and drools over CoD.
Reply Quote
PS3 rage talking

I've played since release on PC.

OP suffers from a complete lack of imagination.

Imagination gets boring when you've been playing it for two years and barely anything changes for the better.

5+ years and still going strong. I guess the OP hates a thinking mans FPS and drools over CoD.

I'd list CoD on here if it wasn't so incredibly UNDERRATED on the internet. I'm not saying it's good, or better better than TF2. I'm saying that 5 years of hats isn't amusing especially since it went free to play and the brony-kiddies have been swarming.

Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

After being fun for a couple months, even with the expansions and mods it's just a buggy boring mess..

Agreed, especially on the xbox 360 (worse I guess on the ps3, which won't even get dawnguard?)

You also outscale the game so fast, in regards to difficulty. By the time dawnguard came out, I walked through it. This was on the most difficult setting.

Prior to dawnguard coming out, when bugs prevented me from doing many things, I was just going around the country side killing the most awesome dragons in a few hits of a one handed sword (on master difficulty.)

In fact, the "difficulty" of the game had become managing bugs, so you were still able to play at all, as well as possibly keeping your companion from dying to some bug. That is why I settled on Mjoll, who is flagged "essential."

Ironically, Bethesda waited to fix all of the bugs that I found playstopping just UNTIL dawnguard was released; They obviously did that on purpose, since who is going to buy an addition for a game they can't play? Previous to the pre-dawnguard fix, I was unable to enter a couple of my homes where all of my loot was stashed (as well as many other areas on the map, as the size of my savegame files increased.)

Meanwhile, the most UNDERRATED game I played on the xbox 360 (of the same type):

Dragon's Dogma.

That game was kind of everything skyrim wasn't. It was bug free, it scaled as you leveled and you could actually possibly DIE (due to something besides a bug.)

The only bad thing about dragon's dogma was also its best thing; The pawns were kind of a bother, as well as being awesome.

You could use other people's pawns, so you go and check the rift to get updated pawns. Besides the "joke" ones, where guys purposefully gave them stuff to make them look nearly naked, it was kind of fun to try to find a "good one." This is because this was also the WORST feature; A lot of people just don't have the hang of what settings the pawns need to do what you want.

While having such troubles in the bug ridden xbox 360 skyrim, a guy at work mentioned how much fun his kid was having in dragon's dogma. I did not like the demo of dragon's, but bought it anyway to take a chance. I'm so glad I did.

I'd kill for some dragon's dogma expansion stuff, since the DLC stuff was just a few more quests and is not very highly rated. But it seems there won't be any, since the game did so well that Capcom is going to make more games in that franchise instead.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
I agree about Skyrim. If you rely on fans to fix your broken, bug-infested, fetch quest of a game, you shouldn't be a game developer.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Warlock
Guild Wars 2 is a PvP game. There's very little level 80 PvE content. Before 80, it's a fantastic game both PvE and PvP. You just better like SPvP and WvWvW.

Skyrim, I disagree. If we're lucky there are 2 good PC RPGs a year.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warrior
Guild Wars 2:
I haven't looked anything up about it yet, but looking here, it's being hissed at and spat on at every corner. I wouldn't exactly call that praise.

Skyrim:
All the challenge just seeps out once you advance past level 35. I would've preferred the method they took in Oblivion, where the world around you became stronger as you did.

Minecraft:
Yeah, it's okay, but it certainly doesn't deserve the godless levels of praise it gets. Combat is very stiff, and the retro look it goes for (that might actually have been the result of the low budget, but don't quote me on that) was already somewhat stale upon it's reveal.

Team Fortress 2:
Now here's where I draw the line.
I'm not very good when it comes to giving praise, but here's the thing: I am a mere 9 hours from having played this game for 900 hours total. Fragging, burning, healing, stabbing, bludgeoning, and generally filling people full of lead will never get old for me. The characters are so full of life compared to Marine-pants McGoldwatch in Battlefield over there. Character customization (for the most part, what were they thinking with lime and hot pink paint?) is subtle enough not to effect gameplay, but still promotes identification of individuals on the battlefield, be it friend or foe.

The community, even filled with brony templars, is not half-bad as far as communities go. The game isn't so big as to dabble in the mainstream and bring all the buggers that come with it, yet still big enough for newcomers who want to investigate know it's there. People actively create models for weapons and headgear for the sole purpose of being recognized by the community as someone who took part in the further growth of Team Fortress 2 (As of September 30th 2010, contributors could now earn money for their models if they were bought in-game, but contributions were going on were going on nearly a year beforehand).
Sure, anyone would get burnt out on it if it's the only game they ever played, but that's what WoW is for, right?
Reply Quote
10 Tauren Warrior
I disagree with all of those.

Duke Nukem Forever.
Reply Quote
71 Human Warrior
I like GW2.

But I think I might agree with the OP about Skyrim. Elder Scrolls games are always a little over-hyped, in my opinion. Actually, it's just Bethesda games, in general. I'm not saying I don't enjoy them, on the whole.....but they are always over-hyped and overrated.

TF2 is really awesome, and Valve is fantastic, so I strongly disagree here. And I have no opinion on Minecraft.

I would add Diablo 3 to the list. Braid was fun but it felt pretentious to me, and it was way overrated when it came out. Also, Bioshock 2. That game was BS.
Edited by Vâlyse on 9/16/2012 1:08 AM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
09/15/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Corrock
Duke Nukem Forever.

I'm pretty sure everyone agrees that that game sucks
Reply Quote
Call of Duty - It's boring and only involves annoying kids raging over a mic. I never understood what was so great about this game.

Super Smash Bros. - A glorified button-mashing game of king of the hill. There's little to no strategy involved. It's more about pushing people off a cliff than lowering their health. It's always annoyed me since the 64 version.

Halo - Otherwise known as Baby's First FPS, what kind of wimp needs a power suit and regenerating health?

Duke Nukem Forever - The greatest disappointment in video game history. Waited 14 years for its release and they changed everything from the first trailer. Now we're literally left with throwing sh*t at people. What happened!?
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
Every Final Fantasy after #7, although it was nearly impossible to duplicate the awesomeness of that game in story and scope. I never completed a FF game after that one, not because it was difficult but because I got so bored with the characters and didn't really care about what I was doing.

Fallout 3. I know it's a Bethesda game and therefore it's expected that the variety of enemies you get to fight will be very shallow, but doing it in a barren wasteland makes it ten times worse than in a beautiful world like Oblivion. I eventually started playing it in God Mode just to speed things up and restore some fun to it. I bought New Vegas off of Steam for a few dollars and I hope it's better.

Every single Street Fighter game ever made. I think they blow goats and I never understood the appeal of having to pull off a fifteen-button combo in order to make a tiny blue fireball shoot across the screen. Virtua Fighter and Soul Caliber games blow SF away in every aspect. Then again, so does Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

The Command & Conquer series. Games I bought and later rented based solely on reviews. I'd rather sit in a rubber room playing Risk all by myself than experience that crapfest again.

I mentioned it the last time this thread was made but I'll say it again: Any game with the name "Sid Meier" in it. I think the cult following he has is cute and all but he should put a pooh pancake inside of the game packages instead a disc next time so that everyone realizes what they're getting.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
I don't know what's with you, because I !@#$ing love Skyrim without the mods. I've not yet had the opportunity to mod it, and I'd %^-*ing love it even more after that.

I played that game for many hours, made many different toons and went around killing people.

The only thing I felt that I was missing was having other people to interact with MMO style, since I had a lot of fun creating my character's looks and playstyles.

Eventually I just leveled everything up to the point where I was basically a demigod one-shotting Alduin.
Reply Quote
86 Human Paladin
I don't know what's with you, because I !@#$ing love Skyrim without the mods. I've not yet had the opportunity to mod it, and I'd %^-*ing love it even more after that.

I played that game for many hours, made many different toons and went around killing people.

The only thing I felt that I was missing was having other people to interact with MMO style, since I had a lot of fun creating my character's looks and playstyles.

Eventually I just leveled everything up to the point where I was basically a demigod one-shotting Alduin.

I've got over 100 hours played...on the ps3 version...

So yeah, i really liked the game too haha.

09/16/2012 06:29 AMPosted by Valhalo
Halo - Otherwise known as Baby's First FPS, what kind of wimp needs a power suit and regenerating health?

You seem to be remembering incorrectly. Halo had regenerating shields but actual health did not regenerate, you needed health packs for that. Gears of War was the first game i remember to have only regenerating health.
Edited by Tomac on 9/16/2012 11:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
1: Final Fantasy
2: Call of Duty (Need I mention why?)
3: Monster Hunter (Popular in Japan. Sadly the game is bunk as well as the horrific controls.)
4: World of Tanks (It's slowly getting there. I've played it, boring as playing Microsoft's Flight Simulator.)
Edited by Nevintsha on 9/16/2012 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
[quote="66062064523"]
3: Monster Hunter (Popular in Japan. Sadly the game is bunk as well as the horrific controls.)

Horrible controls as in no auto-lock? It's not needed. Although if you've only played Tri with a normal Wii remote, those controls are terrible. That's why I use a classic controller.
Edited by Aeox on 9/16/2012 1:53 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
All popular games are overrated.
All obscure games I enjoy are underrated.
Am I doing it right?
Edited by Snozberries on 9/16/2012 2:50 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]