Prot Paladin core abilities text.

45 Draenei Paladin
Not sure where else to put this so I'll put it here.

Under the core abilities section in a Prot Paladin's spellbook, it lists Crusader Strike, and to use when available, however you should be using Hammer of the Righteous instead as it shares the cooldown with Crusader Strike and works as an AOE threat generator.

I've been using Crusader Strike the whole time without realizing because that's what it told me to do, I only just actually read the tool tip for Hammer of the Righteous.

Not sure if this is intended, but yeah, doesn't seem like it... I'd always thought my threat generation wasn't as good as it should be...
Reply Quote
HotR hits like a wet noodle, use it to put up weakened blows, and maybe in AoE, tab-judging and tab-CS is probably better once you have your weakened blows and concecration rolling.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SWC
You only want to use hotr when you need to apply weakened blows or in aoe situations. CS is considerably better damage on single targets.
Edited by Tuesdays on 9/17/2012 10:05 AM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Draenei Shaman
CS hits roughly six times as hard as HotR.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hammer of the Righteous is for AoE. Trash packs, basically. The margin for using it these days is 6-8 trash mobs within smacking distance.

Crusader Strike will outperform HotR for DPS/TPS.

Use HotR as part of your initial AoE "Hey, I'm here, hit me!" opening, but once you got their attention use CS.

These days, our AoE threat comes from a few things: Consecration (buffed pretty decently in 5.0.4), Holy Wrath (again, buffed in 5.0.4 somewhat), and Seal of Righteousness (very minor increase, but it's AoE). HotR 6-8 or more targets, CS anything less.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For HotR vs CS, the breakeven is more like 3 mobs. 4 or more is HotR, less than 3 is CS. 3 is breakeven.

CS is 125% weapon damage

HotR is 20% weapon damage to initial target plus 35% aoe damage which also affects the initial target. So, it'll do a little less than half CS's damage to the initial target, than about 30% CS's damage to anything else in range.

They both hit like wet noodles compared to our other abilities at 85.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
For HotR vs CS, the breakeven is more like 3 mobs. 4 or more is HotR, less than 3 is CS. 3 is breakeven.

CS is 125% weapon damage

HotR is 20% weapon damage to initial target plus 35% aoe damage which also affects the initial target. So, it'll do a little less than half CS's damage to the initial target, than about 30% CS's damage to anything else in range.

They both hit like wet noodles compared to our other abilities at 85.

i thought that against 2 targets HotR was a definite increase since the nova part is holy damage it is unaffected by armor (no idea how much armor reduces the damage by but im sure i read on maintankadin that against 2 targets its a DPS increase)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]