Theramore Event Today

90 Human Rogue
According to recent posts, the Theramore event will be moved forward to today.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The ilvl for the event is apparently 353. If you're borderline, a few crafter items or a couple dungeons for JP item should get you there.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I ended up sleeping all day today so tomorrow will be my first go at it.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Copying my own comments from another thread on the subject:

Once again, if you didn't read the novel, you're utterly in the dark as to the actual lore and content. As an aside, I wasn't too impressed with the jumpy music in the cut scene; ominous, mournful, back to ominous with really rough cuts between.

Tides of War was really good, the battle really detailed. But if you didn't read it, you don't know that Kalecgos is there, or why. If you didn't read the book, you don't know that Rhonin, Marcus Jonathan, Shandris Feathermoon, or Vereesa Windrunner are there. Unless you read the book, you don't know why that Blood Elf spy is in the basement. You don't know why Marcus is suddenly replaced in the front gate of Stormwind. That Rhonin's no longer in Dalaran.

The only recognizable-at-a-glance NPC is the Flight Master the Horde fights. Everyone else are throwaways. The Alliance side doesn't match up to the description in the novel that Golden specifically wrote to include player characters---Blizzard must have changed their minds after printing. Jaina's scenes in the scenario, while good, are utterly different, and there's no connection to the fact that her home was just destroyed, people she loves are dead, and suddenly, there's the Focusing Iris. You don't know why unless you read the novel. Again.

I like the idea of scenarios; quick and easy to do with any 2-4 people. It shouldn't be tough or complicated. But it could have more "meat." This is the event that throws Azeroth into WAR, it could stand a few story moments. Instead, it caters to the "Bah! Story!? Who Cares?! GOGOGOGO!" crowd.

And now no one understands or knows why any of this is happening, or even what's happening. Unless they read the novel.

I'm mostly disappointed.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I can't say I am surprised. I have yet to be able to do the scenario yet and will have to see it firsthand, but it sounds a whole lot like Wolfheart's impact on the game. Which would be none.

It's disappointing to see that a lot of the Alliance story is restricted to the books and that it just seems like Blizzard truly doesn't care about implementing it into the game.

I fear based on your explanation of the whole description of the scenario that this renewal of my account may just be a one month thing and quite possibly end my desire to continue my loyalty to WoW for almost 8 years now.

That is, if Horde still have plot armor and Alliance is left to sit in their shadow for another year and a half.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Once again, if you didn't read the novel, you're utterly in the dark as to the actual lore and content. As an aside, I wasn't too impressed with the jumpy music in the cut scene; ominous, mournful, back to ominous with really rough cuts between.

Tides of War was really good, the battle really detailed. But if you didn't read it, you don't know that Kalecgos is there, or why. If you didn't read the book, you don't know that Rhonin, Marcus Jonathan, Shandris Feathermoon, or Vereesa Windrunner are there. Unless you read the book, you don't know why that Blood Elf spy is in the basement. You don't know why Marcus is suddenly replaced in the front gate of Stormwind. That Rhonin's no longer in Dalaran.

The only recognizable-at-a-glance NPC is the Flight Master the Horde fights. Everyone else are throwaways. The Alliance side doesn't match up to the description in the novel that Golden specifically wrote to include player characters---Blizzard must have changed their minds after printing. Jaina's scenes in the scenario, while good, are utterly different, and there's no connection to the fact that her home was just destroyed, people she loves are dead, and suddenly, there's the Focusing Iris. You don't know why unless you read the novel. Again.

I like the idea of scenarios; quick and easy to do with any 2-4 people. It shouldn't be tough or complicated. But it could have more "meat." This is the event that throws Azeroth into WAR, it could stand a few story moments. Instead, it caters to the "Bah! Story!? Who Cares?! GOGOGOGO!" crowd.

And now no one understands or knows why any of this is happening, or even what's happening. Unless they read the novel.

I'm mostly disappointed.

As someone who didn't read the novel, all I can say was that I was very confused, there was absolutely NO explanation for what I was doing or why I was there. The entire experience was one of "Uh, I guess I should be over here, doing this." I watched the Mana Bomb drop, and can't help but feel disappointed. My expectations may have been high, but I can't help but feel that while I was given to expect a grade A, I got stuck with a poor excuse of a B flick that couldn't even manage the 3 B's. And I'm not entirely certain why after using a giant Mana Bomb to blow up Theramore that it was decided to give everyone a miniature version of the same bomb. I mean, I'm all for explosives, but this was supposed to be a serious turn of events for all of Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
I watched the Mana Bomb drop, and can't help but feel disappointed. My expectations may have been high, but I can't help but feel that while I was given to expect a grade A, I got stuck with a poor excuse of a B flick that couldn't even manage the 3 B's.

The way I was expecting the scenario to play out was to be some sort of full scale invasion.

Its as if Blizz took the easy way out and said, you know what, forget stuff that is as epic as Wrathgate, let's just chunk a bomb at Theramore and be done with it.

I know it's merely a scenario much to the extent of putting out a quickie content, but there's nothing that screams that this war between Horde and Alliance is about to take a huge turn for the full-scale.

I am incredibly disappointed and in terms of pre-expansion content releases, this by far has been the worst of the worst.
Edited by Ginzo on 9/18/2012 11:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
As someone who loves the story of this franchise and is a freak for the lore, I loved it and felt it was exactly as it should be on both sides. I haven't read the novel and I knew enough of what was going on to still know why I was there and what was going on. It provides a heck of a lot more information than any other world event. In the past it's just been demons/undead/elementals zerging us because that's what they do. At least this time we get to interact with a major lore character and the event actually changes something in the world. When the demons/undead/elementals went away, the cities returned to normal.

My only real disappointments were the opening cinematic and that you have to be 85 to experience this event, it would have been nice if all levels could have been able to take part in it in some way.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
It will be available again at 90; it's not going away. It's just being used as a preview. It's not a real pre-release event, as that's a lot of time and resources for a temporary thing we never see again, and that so many players miss--while others griped about them, leading to their oblivion (I loved the pre-Wrath event, and was OK with the Cata one).

A lot of people, both those who have and have not read the novel, feel disappointment and confusion at what little story there is, little explanation. There's a LOT more happening here, especially with the dissension in the Horde and the loss of so many major Alliance and Neutral NPCs that just comes down to wasted potential.

That said, I DO like the concept of grabbing any 2 folks from from my tiny guild, on whatever characters, and rolling through a quick and easy instanced group quest. That part's brilliant.

But when people complain about missing the old attunement quests, most of what they miss is the story and lore bits; cinematics/cutscenes you can hit /escape out of, quest dialogue you can walk away from or close out of to move faster once you've seen it or if you don't care as much about story. There wasn't even that much here. It was just run in, kill random nameless numberhead dudes, destroy some tanks and get some banners, avoid a mini-boss' storm totems (same fight, different guy for both sides), and kill a final miniboss.

It's a hack'n'slash with no story for dressing at all, when some certainly could have been spared--especially for as promoted and hyped this was by Blizzard itself, and their acknowledgement at last Blizzcon that "yeah, a lot of the story is in supplements and not in game, we're working on that."

For the event bringing us to war, I shouldn't have to summarize a novel, again, to my friends about what's going on with the story so they get the changes in game to characters and continuing story arcs going into the expac. It should be in the game, and I really hope Blizzard realizes that. Not all of the little details and events, certainly, but at least the main plot points and major deaths. That'd be nice.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Eh, I can understand why some people are upset. I think there's much more whining than necessary though, but that's nothing new for the Warcraft community. I haven't read the past couple of books due to not having time, but I do check the WoW site daily as well as MMO-champion and that's enough to let me know tensions have been building between the Horde and Alliance and why Theramore got bombed. Should I have to learn about lore from sources other than the game? Probably not, but it would be a pain to put every little detail in and I don't have to go very far out of my way to find the info.

It's pretty much what I expected of a scenario and I'm really looking forward to experiencing the rest of them. I enjoy the feel of a repeatable, slightly more complicated group quest that can be completed with any group make up.

As a world event, I feel it does a good job of starting up the conflict that spills over onto Pandaria. Theramore getting bombed is enough to know things are really heating up without knowing every casualty, even if there are some other major lore characters involved that didn't make it into the scenario in any way. We get more dialogue and story with this event than any other, which I'm happy for, even if it isn't as much fun as running around as a zombie. But people don't like to be forced into or inconvenienced by these things like they were with the Pre-Wrath event, so Blizzard moved to the instanced event. It isn't what I'd want, but I can see where those people are coming from.

As Ivinara said above me, my gripe is that my low level characters can't take part in the event. Even if it will be there at 90, I don't have the time to level a bunch of characters and I've always enjoyed taking part in past world events on my lower level characters, no matter how small of a role they played.

Its as if Blizz took the easy way out and said, you know what, forget stuff that is as epic as Wrathgate, let's just chunk a bomb at Theramore and be done with it.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd much rather have this scenario I can play through instead of a several minute long cenimatic.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
09/18/2012 11:21 PMPosted by Niari
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I'd much rather have this scenario I can play through instead of a several minute long cenimatic.

A better solution is a set of outside the scenario quests to help explain things better. Not everything needs to be in the dialogue / cinematic format. Players seem to pay better attention to lore when they actively play through it as opposed to reading or listening.
Reply Quote
So if I'm understanding what is said here in this thread, if you're not a fan of franchise fiction--and I'm not, but I'm not judging those who are--the event probably won't make sense.

Does anyone feel like there are locations in the game where players could glean this sort of lore? I'm just wondering because if you look at the placement of the WoW franchise fiction on Amazon's Best Sellers Rankings, it's pretty easy to deduce that a tiny fraction of WoW's overall subscriber base downloads or buys these paperback titles.

From a business standpoint it doesn't make a lot of sense to spend time and resources creating a scenario that won't resonate with anyone who didn't buy the franchise fiction. I'm hoping that there is something more to this, but I need to check out the scenario when I get back home.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Mythan, as far as who all was in Theramore when this happened (and there were a good many major figures) there's no place in game to get that info.

But as far as build up, doing mid level quests, particularly on Kalimdor, can show you how the tension has been building between the Horde and Alliance.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Stonetalon has Garrosh reacting negatively to a bomb being used on a druid school--yet this massive, artifact-empowered arcane bomb was his plan (or his new BFF Gestapo-like guarddog who is zealous about the Warchief being awesome). Garrosh suddenly wants to shove the Alliance off of Kalimdor--even mentioned Moonglade in his ranty plan to take out the rest. So while it plays off the tensions built up in the revamped classic zones (and that were utterly dropped in the 80-85 in favor of fighting Twilight cultists), it shows Garrosh suddenly changing his mind about acceptable war tactics--and we also miss all the dissension in the Horde leadership over this.

In the Best Buy Q&A, Kosak admitted that they dropped the ball and learned from player feedback that Theramore, while a successful system demonstration of what scenarios are, was really lacking in story content. They didn't want to bog players with too much of it when they expect us to run it over and over. Yet, they've had ways for us to skip/move past RP moments, quest text, and cinematics for years. The other scenarios in Pandaria, by all accounts, have more story content and interesting mechanics than Theramore and are pretty awesome.

I worry that people who didn't have access to the beta will take this as a negative indicator as to Mists' content and decide to not buy. I had one player bow out of a planned guild RP event around Theramore last night (get guild exp, etc) due to seeing the Horde version and not caring at all to do the Alliance side--and I can't blame 'em. It's the same thing at a different point in the story, with just as little explanation.

Who was in Theramore? Novel Spoilers here since nothing's in game, the block should make it easier to skip:
Rhonin and several Kirin Tor mages (one of them is the spy who gets rescued by Horde PCs). Kalecgos was there, looking for the Focusing Iris and helping defend Theramore since the FI was hidden from him. General Marcus Jonathon, from Stormwind's front gates. Tiras'alaan, a Draenei Shattered Sun General (is in Lady Liadrin's scenes with A'dal in Shattrath). Some Wildhammer dwarf generals. Vereesa Windrunner and Shandris Feathermoon were there, but were in the Marsh when the bomb hit--Rhonin's actions helped ensure their survival, as he pulled the bomb into Jaina's heavily-warded tower to contain some of the blast. He shoved Jaina (and in the novel the Alliance PCs, who were with her through the battle itself, but the quest designers changed it later) through a portal to an island nearby. Rhonin turned into fine purple mist; Pained, Archmage Tervosh, Jaina's apprentice Kinndy (daughter of the guy who lights Dalaran's streets at 9pm every night), Marcus Jonathan, Tiras'alaan, the Wildhammers, and lots of others all died.

More stuff happens after Theramore, which won't happen in game (a major battle in Bladefist Bay, for instance, and Jaina coming to her senses before doing some more terrible things). Jaina asks to become a Kirin Tor acolyte again, because she knows she screwed up, but they make her their leader, based on some prophecy by Krasus (died in the Thrall novel; Golden is the Knaak character killer apparently). END Spoilers.

We'll catch up to Jaina and all the other world leaders in Patch 5.1 (Lor'themar supposedly does something guys! Exciting!) when the Alliance and Horde leaders get to their people stranded on Pandaria and the war really kicks off.

That's the plan, anyway. We shall see! I'm looking forward to it.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Mage
09/20/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Alynore
Stonetalon has Garrosh reacting negatively to a bomb being used on a druid school--yet this massive, artifact-empowered arcane bomb was his plan (or his new BFF Gestapo-like guarddog who is zealous about the Warchief being awesome).

I am so glad someone else noticed this! One of the only reasons I LIKED Garrosh to begin with was because of his reaction to that Stonetalon quest. Here, he's doing an absolute 180 and all I can think is 'bzuh?'

The lack of story in game is probably one of the reasons why the scenario fell so flat. The first is because people thought it was going to be the pre-expansion event rather than just a preview of a new adventure in game. That I can't address, but the lack of story meant lack of investment in what was happening in game, as well as a lack of understanding on the part of those who hadn't read the book, or been advised about what was happening in the book.

For those who read it, the emotional investment might just be there. I don't know. The book isn't quite that amazing for me, at least not yet, but I haven't finished it yet.

I have hopes for the scenario setup. I think it can be great. I just hope it will be better than Theramore.

09/20/2012 08:57 AMPosted by Alynore
Golden is the Knaak character killer apparently

Someone HAS to be. The only way to end the crap that is put out by Knaack is to kill them off. And jeeze, there's still a Windrunner alive? Kill her, raise her like Sylvanas. Bwaha.

Lor'themar does something? Bull!@#$. That he even stood by and let this happen boggles my mind. After everything the Sin'dorei went through, from the Scourge invasion, the destruction of Eversong and Silvermoon and the Sunwell, you would think they would be absolutely loathe to visit that sort of pain on any other person, no matter what sort of enemy they were. Furthermore, they're located in the Eastern Kingdoms. While Garrosh has Kalimdor, what do you think the Alliance will be doing to what is left in the East?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Sylvanas brings up that concern; if Garrosh takes on Kalimdor, then the Alliance will turn to Lordaeron. Lor'themar says nothing in the Horde council meeting, and afterwards lets Garrosh know that the BEs are loyal to the *Horde*. Garrosh is a bit boggled, as he thinks he's the Horde just cuz he's Warchief. Lor'themar is better at wordgames.

Which is the crux of the problem for the other Horde leaders. They need the Horde as a whole, they need each other...it's Garrosh they have issues with. Particularly Vol'jin and Baine. They feel to protect their own people from Garrosh's reprisal, they have to go along with these plans--as much as they hate them.

One thing the scenario completely skimps on is the dissension in the Horde ranks and the outright arguments Baine and Garrosh have. Sylvanas and Lor'themar send generals, not coming back to Kalimdor themselves. They need to support the Horde, but stay home to secure their own borders from Alliance reprisal is my take on that (and their ability to disagree with Garrosh a little more safely than Vol'jin and baine can afford to).
Edited by Alynore on 9/21/2012 8:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]