Embarrassing question about Scarlet Halls

I've tried to heal through a certain part of Scarlet Halls on different alts now, and I really don't get it. It's the part where there are some archery targets to pick up and the enemies are firing knockback/fire arrows. I've been away from the game for a long time so this is the first time I've seen this content.

I know that carrying an archery target is supposed to protect me from the fire/knockback effects, but there seem to be only three of the targets available to pick up. (?) I haven't managed to beat enough members of my group to these yet, so that I can get one for myself. So, what happens here every time, is that I get knocked back a couple times, the tank soon gets too far ahead of me, then out of range, and then he's dead before I can catch up to healing range again.

My groups have seemed really annoyed with me about this, and I didn't find anything helpful on wowhead or with a Google search. So I'm just going to stick my neck out and ask, what is the normal method to get everybody through this alive when running the dungeon at-level? Thanks for your help.
Reply Quote
Yeah, that's what I thought - it didn't prevent the knockback. I guess I can chalk it up to a fluke if that's what's meant to happen. Thanks.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
You have to have a dps pick up one of the target and all huddle up on him and move forward. Make sure that tank or healer does not pick it up as you just can't drop it. It disappears after you make it all the way up to the adds.
Reply Quote
Oh wow, third attempt I managed to get a target. You DEFINITELY DO NOT WANT A TARGET because it keeps you from casting and everybody's walking through fire! Ouch! Thanks for the help everyone!
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Yes don't grab a target, same applies to tank. The 3 dps walk up with targets, hopefully avoiding fire as much as possible because healing aggro builds up, the tank and you follow closely behind. I have on occasion been hit by the knockback but its not that big a deal.

On the other hand 10 mobs on you while the tank grabs one because the healing aggro starts as soon as anyone takes damage is not so much fun.
Reply Quote
29 Pandaren Priest
so glad to find this! :D
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you get really far behind, displacer beast into stampeding roar and open with ironbark followed by ns healing touch on the tank, then rejuv+swm and stack LB. You'll be fine.
Reply Quote
62 Pandaren Monk
Thank you for asking, as I've been having the same issue... was making me feel like a lousy healer! Group members kept saying I should get different heals, but they worked fine in other dungeons. Based on these comments I see now it was a strategy issue. Now to figure out what to do when the dogs are targeted on me!
Reply Quote
62 Pandaren Monk
Happy to say, just ran through twice without a hitch based on the above advice. Team strategy worked well. Thanks!
Reply Quote
100 Undead Monk
When I tank on my monk I avoid the whole thing and just roll to them.
Reply Quote
57 Draenei Shaman
09/20/2012 06:39 PMPosted by Mate
Yes don't grab a target, same applies to tank.

I'm a resto shaman. I've done Scarlet Halls with my XP locked at lvl 27 and lvl 29 to get in a lot of questing and build rep. Right now I only pick up Scarlet Halls and Gnomeregan on the random so I've done it over and over. I'm using the Devout Aurastone Hammer and a shield with the right specs and I'm boa to my eyeballs. Results aren't great. About 1/3 everyone survives, 1/3 wipe, 1/3 some survive.

Anyone know the mechanics of when the shields (Reinforced Targets) release in the Training Grounds (archer's court)? Are the target shields on a timer (I've only seen the last second shown near the shield icon in the upper right) or do the targets drop when a certain distance is travelled? It looks like all the targets drop at the same time. If the target shields are on a timer, does the clock start when the first target is picked up?

Once only, I successfully used a target as a shield. In that case I was the last to pick up a target and kept walking to the right. Amazingly, I got near the archers in full health, the targets dropped and I could heal the rest of the party. I know I can't heal with the target up and I can't drop the target. So it should be better to walk behind a target carrier.

But if I get behind a target carrier, as a resto shaman I have to stop to heal and the carrier just keeps walking. Bad results. And when I walk behind a target carrier, I'm often tossed back and killed by an explosion. Yes, I run back in and heal anyone who's still standing.

If I carry no target and stay well back, I can heal until the targets drop, then the archers run directly at me and I'm dead. The rest of the party usually survives, but at least they don't complain.

I found the following thread in eu.battle.net: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/5299160769#new-post
That post asks Blizzard to add a mechanic to allow a character to drop the target at his/her own discretion.

I second that suggestion! If every player can drop the target at their own discretion, the success/failure of this part of the run is more clearly everybody's responsibility. Alternatively, let the healer drop the target at his/her discretion or give the healer a shorter timer for the target.

A wipe in the Training Grounds is blamed on the healer, the success isn't credited. I hear complaining now and then when I'm healing other instances, but this grates. The mechanic needs to change so that success in the Training Grounds is clearly everybody's responsibility
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I think when the furthest forward party member crosses a prearranged line, the mobs change behavior and start using normal attacks instead of doing the fire volley thing, and at that point all the targets despawn because they are no longer relevant.

I could be wrong though, that's just how it seems to me to be working.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
OMG, is it a fad to necro this thread, or something?

Riôt
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
OMG, is it a fad to necro this thread, or something?

Riôt

Sadly, it is a common issue. I actually gave up on the instance on my lowbie Shaman because I inevitably died at that part. No matter what I did! And not healing wasn't an option - people would just die from the fire.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
Going to necro yet again! This still sucks if you've never seen it. LOL. My poor 27 Pally Tank thought as the tank he should lead the way - that didn't work well....
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Priest
Going to necro yet again! This still sucks if you've never seen it. LOL. My poor 27 Pally Tank thought as the tank he should lead the way - that didn't work well....

*waves hammer threateningly*
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
06/12/2013 11:14 AMPosted by Asanpi

*waves hammer threateningly*

Lowbie pug after lowbie pug wipes at that spot. This really should be a freaking sticky.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Blizzard failed miserably by not creating any explanations for this, anywhere.

If I had designed this, I would have given this guy a little more HP and made him a boss, just so he could get a dungeon journal entry.

Regardless, it's an event, and as such, it deserves at least an in-game raid warning explaining it. We get that stupid condescending explanation whenever we die to Blades of Light, but nothing for this?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]