Hating Account-wide Achievements?

87 Night Elf Druid
Am I the only one who hates account-wide achievements?

It is distracting and inefficient. For someone who likes to play each character to their potential (relatively), seeing a lowbie toon with the 1000 Kills achievement but discovering that they only have 233 kills pokes holes in the whole curtain. Achievements don't matter anymore, is what this says. Milestones for individual characters have been removed. So, why bother playing lowbies anymore?

When you work hard and buy a CD, you listen to it often. When you burn one from one of your friends for free, you never listen to it. You are lazy because you got it without working for it.

Account-wide achievements make players lazy. Lazy players lose interest. Panda bears and kung fu will not always be shiny. But grinding out achievements will always make people come back and play hard.

Just sayin'.
Reply Quote
88 Draenei Hunter
You still have to grind the achievements dude, they aren't giving them away for free
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Individual achievements still exist. When I get 50, 000 kills on this character I'll get a toast, just like if I go into a BG on a new character and get a kill I'll still get the "An Honorable Kill" achievement.

What you're saying about the CD is completely wrong, too. Just because you won't listen to it doesn't automatically mean the world won't.

Account wide achievements won't make players lazy. Stop making generalised assumptions about the entire playerbase.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Most people love it, in my case i love the freedom of picking a new main for MoP and not leaving my achievements behind, i love that my mounts/pets/points come with me.

The game is pretty stale for people that have been at it for 7 years, we still love it don't get me wrong but its great to get some freedom.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I never advocated for them at all. I don't personally understand the point. I actually *liked* grinding achievements on individual characters. But now that they're here I'm just kinda like "meh, whatever". They're cool I guess. They're not going away so no point in whining about them.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
Every achievement I have, I've earned on this character alone, minus like the weird FoS's for the warlock mount quest etc.

And I intend on getting every achievement on this guy. 'Cuz that's the way I play. There is not a single thing that is stopping me from doing this. In fact the game has systems in place to make it easy for me to see which achievements I have earned on just my character. There is even an option in the menus that will enable anyone who looks at me in game or on the armory to only see the ones my individual character has earned.

Now, my partner has changed mains a couple of times at the start of different expansions. I have friends that have logged on an alt to help me get an achievement that their mains are locked to or w/e. I've played and seen them get achievements with me and earned them. I've seen em win rare mounts, and gotten difficult battleground achievements. They've earned them, just as well as me, and they've earned them mostly on the character they (now) care about.

And seeing how happy they are being able to use those mounts, titles, not feeling like they have to go back and get those achievements, seeing their work and dedication... I mean, every achievement they've gotten they could have easily gotten on their main. And I'm happy they're happy. I'm also proud to have stuck with one character because I love it.

TL:DR: I'm happy with the way I play, and I'm happy that my friends and partner get to love the game too. They don't take any sense of accomplishment away from me at all, so who am I to say they shouldn't have pretties 'cuz they didn't do them all on one character.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/13/2012 08:41 PMPosted by Ryken
TL:DR: I'm happy with the way I play, and I'm happy that my friends and partner get to love the game too. They don't take any sense of accomplishment away from me at all, so who am I to say they shouldn't have pretties 'cuz they didn't do them all on one character.

Precisely. :) I couldn't have said it better myself.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter
09/13/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Lethalock
Most people love it, in my case i love the freedom of picking a new main for MoP and not leaving my achievements behind, i love that my mounts/pets/points come with me.

^^^^^

All that needs to be said.

I LOVE the account wide achievement system. It is liberating.
Reply Quote
85 Orc Hunter

I wish more people took this attitude.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
it CAN be weird ...

i'm a level one bank alt and i can run around with the "savior of azeroth" title above my head ;)
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Death Knight
it CAN be weird ...

i'm a level one bank alt and i can run around with the "savior of azeroth" title above my head ;)

No you don't. You still have to have the required level for raid titles. Example: My herald toon cannot use any of my 85 raid titles.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
09/13/2012 07:16 PMPosted by Lethalock

Your right most do. BUT they need a disable option for those of us that dont. I am very against the linking of HKs. I was working on my 250k HKs on this toon and THEN going to work on it all over again on my druid. Now the stupid achievement is going to trigger early. Complete fail on Blizzards part. There is even a post from Ghostcrawler that the 250k was too brutal to work on with only one toon let alone two. That would be totally wrong. Some of us actually enjoy working on that specific achievement on multiple toons.

I get that most people love account wide and that they wont go away (like I believe they should) but a disable option for the rest of us would have been ideal.
Reply Quote
1 Blood Elf Priest
09/14/2012 03:39 PMPosted by Bloodydk
No you don't. You still have to have the required level for raid titles. Example: My herald toon cannot use any of my 85 raid titles.

*whew*
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
my bank alt esprit better not be running around with my titles!!!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I see the OP's point but please try to see mine. I have played a holy paladin since Vanilla but when I decided to change to Horde a few months ago and go to another server, I didn't want to pay 50$ for the server and faction transfers. By sharing achievements and mounts, I now have at least some of the things my other paladin which is retired had. Sadly I lost all of my vanity items but at least I won't have to do Iron Dwarf Medium Rare or the Conclave of Wind achievements again.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Best change for people who have multiple characters.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Rogue
09/15/2012 03:53 PMPosted by Armedine
Best change for people who have multiple characters.

nope
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/16/2012 07:46 AMPosted by Mylok
nope

Just because you don't like the change doesn't mean it's not for the best.
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
The only thing I don't like about the account wide achievements is that it does not display more than one date for an achievement if you have gotten it on multiple characters. Also, if you get an achievement on multiple characters, linking it from the subsequent characters will not display the date of your original achievement.

Really don't like that particular handling of it. Kinda makes me want to actively avoid doing the same achievement on multiple characters. It would have been much better if the achievements listed every date for each character you've done them on.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]