The PVE Breakdown: Blink Strike vs Lynx Rush

90 Orc Hunter
Learn what a GCD is, useless post.

Winner of the captain obvious award of 2012 goes to Kiote!

It's quite funny when your post is the useless one when you completely ignore the whole main topic of this thread, explaining the math behind the two ability's, for people who don't tend to keep up with the what ability is best to use because they don't theroycraft.

Thank you for explaining, sir.

This was in no way a "Best DPS rotation/priority" thread. This was comparing the damage of ONLY 2 Abilities. Not arcane shot, kill command or any other spell, JUST Lynx Rush and Blink Strike.

It's what I said in the title.
It's what i said in the thread.
Edited by Exhawk on 9/17/2012 12:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
You need to add in the GCD difference. Everything else being equal, Blink Strike uses 7 more GCDs over that 3 minute period. So Lynx Rush will give you 7 more opportunities to execute other attacks that you would not get with Blink Strike.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
In fights with downtime and multiple target switching (I'm thinking of Blackhorn, Yor'sahj, Hagara, Madness, Spine in just DS) You really don't worry too much about GCD's over long periods of time. Having an attack to use every 20 seconds other than Kill Command/Arcane Shot, and one that will save you travel time from add to add, that's extremely useful.

AMoC is the best for standstill long fights.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
09/17/2012 10:10 AMPosted by Torodo
You need to add in the GCD difference. Everything else being equal, Blink Strike uses 7 more GCDs over that 3 minute period. So Lynx Rush will give you 7 more opportunities to execute other attacks that you would not get with Blink Strike.

If you're stacking mastery in mop Blink strike should hit just as much or more then the average arcane shot crit so that argument is little to no argument worth discussing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
09/17/2012 02:52 PMPosted by Ashyarrows
If you're stacking mastery in mop Blink strike should hit just as much or more then the average arcane shot crit so that argument is little to no argument worth discussing.

You completely missed the point. Blink Strike does X damage. Lynx Rush does Y damage PLUS whatever else you can squeeze in with those 7 extra GCDs.

Remember, hunters ALWAYS have something than can do in a PvE setting.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
You completely missed the point. Blink Strike does X damage. Lynx Rush does Y damage PLUS whatever else you can squeeze in with those 7 extra GCDs.

Remember, hunters ALWAYS have something than can do in a PvE setting.

Not true. We can't always do something... sometimes doing something is wrong, and doing nothing is right. One cannot always do something if there is nothing to do, and doing nothing will always be doing something if it helps your raid.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/17/2012 08:29 PMPosted by Exhawk
sometimes doing something is wrong, and doing nothing is right.

In which case doing nothing is the something that you should be doing, so you are still doing something and that something is nothing.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Not true. We can't always do something... sometimes doing something is wrong, and doing nothing is right. One cannot always do something if there is nothing to do, and doing nothing will always be doing something if it helps your raid.

What ? You lost me there, maybe a few less somethings and nothings.:)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
What about the critical strikes? Higher chance of critting with Lynx Rush than with Blink Strike.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Death Knight
#showtooltip
/castsequence reset=20 Bestial Wrath, Blood Fury, Kill Command, Dire Beast, Lynx Rush, Rapid Fire, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot, Arcane Shot, Kill Command, Readiness, Kill Command, Bestial Wrath, Dire Beast, Lynx Rush

My 20 second "Kill ALL The Things" Macro

Just a small revision, you should try to find another place for that second Dire Beast, either before you cast the second BW or after, using up that very valuable GCD you have there during BW on something that receives no real benefit from BW should be avoided. Otherwise, good mathematical comparison
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
09/17/2012 08:43 PMPosted by Stalkings
sometimes doing something is wrong, and doing nothing is right.

In which case doing nothing is the something that you should be doing, so you are still doing something and that something is nothing.

You got it!
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
I just tried to time all the GCD's to make sure I had a full 10 seconds of the first BW, and I think Dire Beast stacks, as in 2 beasts.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/16/2012 02:25 PMPosted by Havoczqt
MoC for single target by LONG shot.

Yes, but it has a 2 minute cooldown. And Lynx Rush has a 1.5 minute cooldown.

Blink Strike, on the other hand, just 20 seconds.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
Not true. We can't always do something...

If only hunters had an instant attack that had no cooldown and cost only 20 focus. No, better yet a spammable attack that cost no resources and can be setup to fire on the move too! If only...

Stop making lame excuses for failing to consider an important source of damage when comparing BS and LR. If you are going to theorycraft, then do it right.

Theoretical rotations need to consider differences in global cooldowns in order to make an honest comparison.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
09/18/2012 05:34 PMPosted by Torodo
Not true. We can't always do something...

If only hunters had an instant attack that had no cooldown and cost only 20 focus. No, better yet a spammable attack that cost no resources and can be setup to fire on the move too! If only...

Stop making lame excuses for failing to consider an important source of damage when comparing BS and LR. If you are going to theorycraft, then do it right.

Theoretical rotations need to consider differences in global cooldowns in order to make an honest comparison.

A wild troll appears.

Troll uses Logic.

Logic is inaffective.

Original Poster uses Pokemon reference.

It's Super Effective!

Wild troll has fainted.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
But anyways, you guys seem to be throwing around the word "GCD" a lot without actually understanding the purpose of it.

Wasting a GCD is using a spell/ability in a fight that has no offensive/progressive purpose (Feign Death, Misdirection, Deterrence, etc.)

The simcraft/theorycraft has shown that casting Blink Strike is a DPS gain as opposed to using arcane shot in it's place.

It is not wasting a GCD, since both Arcane shot and Blink Strike use a GCD. It is making better use of a GCD with a spell that can be used more often and better timed than one you have to wait 1 minute and 30 seconds to cast again, at a non-opportune time.

But considering most of you who throw the word around never really cast anything on every GCD or seem to understand the concept of input lag, server latency, and press/click release lag, and probably spend 60% of the fight focus capped from over casting cobra shot, or focus starved and spamming Kill command while cobra shot is casting, I don't really see how any of your condescending comments have anything to add to the discussion.

Oh god, I feel like I have made myself so high and mighty by posting this, but honestly, what other way could I have put it to get my point across.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter

Any comments or revisions are appreciated.

Apparently not!

All that is being pointed out is that the hunter isn't going to be standing there while Lynx Rush is going, so it's not simply BS <> LR.. it's BS <> (LR+whatever shots).

You posted a thread where you try and explain something.. awesome, but you can't get pissy (or insult everyone else!) when people point out flaws or factors you've missed.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter

Any comments or revisions are appreciated.

Apparently not!

All that is being pointed out is that the hunter isn't going to be standing there while Lynx Rush is going, so it's not simply BS <> LR.. it's BS <> (LR+whatever shots).

You posted a thread where you try and explain something.. awesome, but you can't get pissy (or insult everyone else!) when people point out flaws or factors you've missed.

It's not factors I've missed. Plus there is a difference between constructive criticism and just calling it a useless Theorycraft. Unless you've done your own theorycrafting and/or simcrafting that states otherwise, opinions about what is better DPS wise are taken as invalid without proof/research. Obviously there is a method of preference for everyone, but that is personal playstyle, not overall law.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/18/2012 05:52 PMPosted by Exhawk

A wild troll appears.

Troll uses Logic.

Logic is inaffective.

Original Poster uses Pokemon reference.

It's Super Effective!

Wild troll has fainted.

Exhawk is trying to evolve! Press B to stop the evolution process.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]