Is Guild Wars 2 the game for you? find out!

57 Goblin Shaman
Do you like raiding in WoW and want to find out what Gw2 can offer? Read it!
Do you like PvP in WoW and want to find out what gw2 can offer? Find another place to get your answer, I don't do pvp in any game so I cannot comment on it.
Are you a casual player? Read it!

The game does have a lot of cool stuff. There is dynamic events that start randomly as you are exploring the world, you get your own loot for boss fights or just killing a random foe, the world is very beautiful, and the combat system is awesome! This is a very good game for people that are just casual players and don't like raiding! You can find a lot of articles that explain how a lot of this stuff works. My problem with the game is that it's not challenging... Not one bit, I never felt in danger... When everyone can heal and revive, the danger is completely gone.

Arena-net (The makers of Gw2) made a post in their blog explaining that there is no raids, but there is world-bosses. World-bosses are suppose to replace the big boss fights you would get in raids, they spawn randomly at anytime in a certain area of the map, and it takes a few people to take them down. I actually new this before buying the game, I thought it was a good idea... The problem with the World-bosses is that they are easy as s--t! Not just one or two of them, but all of them! even the ones in the level 80 areas are easy... They are not challenging, they are not fun, they get boring quickly, and you really don't have to worry about doing much... Every single fight feels like a spank'n'tank in WoW, except that there is no one tanking, there is no need for healers, and your role doesn't really matter much because everyone is a DPS.

Do you want to take on these world-bosses with your friends? Forget about it! There is no way to plan an event with your guild to take on these guys, they don't have a certain time to spawn. You would have to wait for hours hoping one of them will spawn in the area you are in and even if they spawn they are not hard to do, the fights don't require you to have any kind of strategy to kill these bosses. The only thing they have for you to do with your friends are dungeons.

The dungeons only have two difficulty levels, story(normal) and explorer(heroic). My opinion on the dungeons, they are not hard at all. The first two dungeons in the game are actually quite bad, the trash mobs found in those two dungeons are way harder than the bosses. This is the processes for killing the trash in these dungeons. Pull mob! Kill the one with the target over his head! wipe! revive and repair! rinse and repeat... The range mobs do a lot of damage, that if you are unlucky and they all choose to attack you, you will be dead without being able to do anything about it, but it's ok, because the bosses are easy it only takes one try to kill them... Not only that but once you start doing explorer mode dungeons, you have to change your stats to what a tank would have in WoW so that you don't wipe constantly.

When you get to level 80, there really isn't much to do. Everyone keeps saying dumb stuff like, "What do you mean there is no end game? You still have to level up a profession, explore the whole world, get exotic armor by crafting, make another character and start all over." Really? This is not endgame. This is not challenging. Until they add more for people like raiding, stay away from the game, you will be bored soon. The world-bosses are laughable, the dungeons are easy, and if you want to kill huge bosses with your guild friends, forget it. This is not the game for raiders right now.

The game has a lot of potential for those of us that love raiding, but right now, the game is only for those that love casual gaming. It really isn't a bad game if you only play MMOs for a short amount of time and then move on. If you are a casual gamer, you will love this game, I have also heard a lot of good things about PvP, but I am all about PvE, and the challenge is just not there.

Raiders, stick to WoW for now.

edit: adding more detail about world-bosses

Here is how these world-bosses are. They are huge, very cool to look at. You will get an announcement if you are in the area that this battle is about to start. You make you way with the rest of the people in the area to go and take this world-boss down, it does feel very cool to run along side that many people to take the guy out, but that is soon gone. The fight pretty much starts by just rushing in doing nothing but hitting it, since there is no tanks or healers you don't have to worry about much. Everyone pretty much is doing their own thing, you don't have to worry about dying, and that to me takes any pressure that it makes it boring to for me. Let's say the world-boss does a few AoE, you really don't have to worry about moving away, you can if you want, but it doesn't really matter... there is two stages when your health goes down, down(think of left 4 dead down stage) and dead. When you are just down a single person can help you back up, it does not take long, you health will be half way full after you are back up, and if you die... Well, if you die, there is like 40 people that can come and resurrect you in the middle of the fight, if only one person does it, it takes a while, but if four people doing it then it only takes like 10 seconds... See where dying or watching out for what is happening doesn't really matter? That really is most of the fights, they are all pretty much the same with only different moves being done by the world-bosses, nothing that you really need to know about prior to the fight.

But what I didn't really think about at all prior to buying the game... You can't play with friends to tackle this stuff down... They just spawn at random times. Want to schedule a time for your guild to tackle this guy down? Not possible. My guild in WoW has a certain time and day when we do raids, the challenge is there whenever we need or have the time to tackle it, this does not work the same way in Gw2... Yeah, they got rid of the whole waiting for a tank and healer to go and do something, but they just replaced it with a different type of waiting...
Edited by Zinnabonn on 9/20/2012 3:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice try, Mike O'Brian.
Reply Quote
57 Goblin Shaman
09/19/2012 09:55 PMPosted by Zachoff
Nice try, Mike O'Brian.

Why would Mike O'Brian say his game is boring?
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
Although I resent the dumbing down of content, I may have to go with easier content. Why? Because the new generation of players just cannot get better.

For the Jindo fight, dps seem to have extremely difficulty in doing 10k dps to the ghosts, while standing on chains. I have spent up to 5 hours in ZG due to wipes and I really do not look forward to it anymore.

The difference between WoW and GW2 is that pve content in GW2 are already that easy. There is no nerf, it started out like this.
WoW's pve content was slowly nerfed.

So fights are too easy? Sigh, bring them on for the sake of my sanity.
Edited by Goldbrand on 9/19/2012 10:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You think I actually read that massive wall of text? You need a tldr, and then a tldr for the tldr.
Reply Quote
57 Goblin Shaman
Although I resent the dumbing down of content, I may have to go with easier content. Why? Because the new generation of players just cannot get better.

For the Jindo fight, dps seem to have extremely difficulty in doing 10k dps to the ghosts, while standing on chains. I have spent up to 5 hours in ZG due to wipes and I really do not look forward to it anymore.

The difference between WoW and GW2 is that pve content in GW2 are already that easy. There is no nerf, it started out like this.
WoW's pve content was slowly nerfed.

So fights are too easy? Sigh, bring them on for the sake of my sanity.

It is a good game for the casual play. There is no such thing as having the best gear, since there is no stats that really matter, the armor is just there for looks. They could have stuff for both casual and hardcore, but they just did one... Tired of raiding, you should try it. :)
Reply Quote
The legendary weapons are better than generic gear and require over 200 hours to craft (ain't nobody got time fo' dat!)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/19/2012 10:13 PMPosted by Zachoff
The legendary weapons are better than generic gear and require over 200 hours to craft (ain't nobody got time fo' dat!)

did we get a new Tami??
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 10:33 PMPosted by Blueouts

did we get a new Tami??

Key difference: I don't care for wow either at the moment and I am actually helpful to people on this forum who are in need of technical support.

Guild Wars 2 has been out for way too long for people to still be comparing it to wow. There are plenty of gameplay videos and such out now for people to make a decision for themselves. It's not like people on the internet actually influence each others decisions anyway.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
09/19/2012 09:49 PMPosted by Zinnabonn
When you get to level 80, there really isn't much to do. Everyone keeps saying dumb stuff like, "What do you mean there is no end game? You still have to level up a profession, explore the whole world, get exotic armor by crafting, make another character and start all over." Really? This is not endgame

What is "endgame" to you? You can't say there is no end game without giving your definition.
next, why does "endgame" matter? I dont go playing through Deus Ex just waiting until the end to start having fun. I play through the game because I am having fun throughout. The same way I play MMO's. I just want to enjoy my time while playing the game, I dont expect the game to start letting me do things when I hit max level or anything else.

As many have said, if you go into the game expecting the typical "end game" then you will be displeased.

09/19/2012 09:49 PMPosted by Zinnabonn
Raiders, stick to WoW for now.

09/19/2012 10:08 PMPosted by Zinnabonn
It is a good game for the casual play. There is no such thing as having the best gear, since there is no stats that really matter, the armor is just there for looks. They could have stuff for both casual and hardcore, but they just did one... Tired of raiding, you should try it. :)

I am not tired of raiding and am excited for MoP to come out, going to be in 1 or 2 hard mode progression groups like I usually am. I also don't play wow for the gear, I play because I enjoy it. So maybe your analysis is correct and I am just the oddball lol.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Yes Guild Wars is the game for me. Doing pvp not too long ago and it was epic. Even if I'm on the losing team we still work as a team and follow the objective of the game. Unlike in WoW where most of your random teammates are either one dimensional, vindictive because one player owned them so badly or plainly uncooperative.

Plus in GW2 they teach how to play pvp and how things are suppose to go + everyone is the same level so their won't be any twinks. PvP is more challenging in GW2 than WoW you don't know what moves your opponent is going to do and it's really based off of your skills than gear.

Here's a good tutorial for GW2 pvp teaching what you need to know and watch out for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgfVZZkgsZI

Guild Wars 2 to me feels like an role playing game you pick up for an console since your character has a story of its own and you have to make choices in the game like.

A. Should I save him/her?
B. Should I betray him/her?
C. Should I go with his plan or her plan?

It probably can affect your character later on in the game if you make a wrong choice if their is any.

For one thing in the game I did not want my father to be sentence to death. So my choice was to break him out of prison and get him away from the city.

I could of chosen the other options and say yeah let my father get sentence to death for the unexplained crime he did to save his friend * spoliers* *even though his friend died*

Where as WoW has its own storyline like every other mmo that's out there your character participates in and choices doesn't affect your characters at all.

Nevertheless each game has its own Pros and Cons, but as of now I say this.

If you want to take a break from WoW then GW2 is your game. Overall GW2 is very creative and versatile because for main thing. There is no such thing as a cookie cutter spec. You are who you want to make your character out to be.
Reply Quote

Oh, stats matter, just not to the degree that they do here.

Really, it's more about getting the right stats that complement your skill choice and weapon choice. Crit builds need +crit chance and +crit damage, condition builds need +condition damage, you pick up toughness and vitality for more survivability, etc., and make a build that has good synergy (like the one posted in a thread here a little bit back, a Thief PvP build that is based around the Death Blossom skill).

If you think about the synergy, skill, and gear choices in the way you do with something like Diablo 3 you've got a better comparison. The big similarity there is in how you can create entire builds that have 1-2 skills as their focus, and you can do that with a bunch of skills per profession.

It's obviously not like here, where having no gear on versus full gear is a huge difference, or where you have tiers of improvements for the same set of stats, but you can absolutely still min/max on your gear and if you do so you will outperform someone who hasn't taken the time to do that.
Edited by Nyketa on 9/20/2012 11:32 AM PDT
Reply Quote
57 Goblin Shaman

What is "endgame" to you? You can't say there is no end game without giving your definition.
next, why does "endgame" matter? I dont go playing through Deus Ex just waiting until the end to start having fun. I play through the game because I am having fun throughout. The same way I play MMO's. I just want to enjoy my time while playing the game, I dont expect the game to start letting me do things when I hit max level or anything else.

As many have said, if you go into the game expecting the typical "end game" then you will be displeased.

My definition of endgame comes from WoW. Preparing you character to do raids, learning the fights, and planning a proper way to tackle the bosses with what you have available in your guild. I do see why this is not appealing to people, that's ok, everyone is different.

My problem with the game was not the lack of raids, I knew this before buying the game. I was really excited that they would allow us to fight these huge boss fights with as many people where there to fight it, the problem was when I notice that the boss fights are a walk in the park... The challenge is not there.

Here is how these world-bosses are. They are huge, very cool to look at. You will get an announcement if you are in the area that this battle is about to start. You make you way with the rest of the people in the area to go and take this world-boss down, it does feel very cool to run along side that many people to take the guy out, but that is soon gone. The fight pretty much starts by just rushing in doing nothing but hitting it, since there is no tanks or healers you don't have to worry about much. Everyone pretty much is doing their own thing, you don't have to worry about dying, and that to me takes any pressure that it makes it boring to for me. Let's say the world-boss does a few AoE, you really don't have to worry about moving away, you can if you want, but it doesn't really matter... there is two stages when your health goes down, down(think of left 4 dead down stage) and dead. When you are just down a single person can help you back up, it does not take long, you health will be half way full after you are back up, and if you die... Well, if you die, there is like 40 people that can come and resurrect you in the middle of the fight, if only one person does it, it takes a while, but if four people doing it then it only takes like 10 seconds... See where dying or watching out for what is happening doesn't really matter? That really is most of the fights, they are all pretty much the same with only different moves being done by the world-bosses, nothing that you really need to know about prior to the fight.

But what I didn't really think about at all, prior to buying the game... You can't play with friends to tackle this stuff down... They just spawn at random times. Want to schedule a time for your guild to tackle this guy down? Not possible. My guild in WoW has a certain time and day when we do raids, the challenge is there whenever we need or have the time to tackle it, this does not work the same way in Gw2... Yeah, they got rid of the whole waiting for a tank and healer to go and do something, but they just replaced it with a different type of waiting...

I'll add this in the start, since it does add more detail as why I don't consider any of that endgame.
Edited by Zinnabonn on 9/20/2012 3:36 PM PDT
Reply Quote
57 Goblin Shaman
Yes Guild Wars is the game for me. Doing pvp not too long ago and it was epic. Even if I'm on the losing team we still work as a team and follow the objective of the game. Unlike in WoW where most of your random teammates are either one dimensional, vindictive because one player owned them so badly or plainly uncooperative.

If PvP is your thing, people should try it. I really can't say if you are wrong or right about what you said, because I don't do PvP, for me an MMO has always been about PvE. I have heard nothing but good stuff about the PvP.

I do agree with you on the role playing part. I really like it, the story is there, the customization, and it's just well done, really... But when I was done doing the story, when I was done exploring the world, it just didn't seem like I had much of a challenge anywhere... Everyone keeps saying how I should try PvP or WvW... What really annoyed me as that to get the 100% explored achievement you have to do WvW, it forces you to do PvP... I was just disappointed with that whole thing.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
09/20/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Zinnabonn
do agree with you on the role playing part. I really like it, the story is there, the customization, and it's just well done, really... But when I was done doing the story, when I was done exploring the world, it just didn't seem like I had much of a challenge anywhere... Everyone keeps saying how I should try PvP or WvW... What really annoyed me as that to get the 100% explored achievement you have to do WvW, it forces you to do PvP... I was just disappointed with that whole thing.

Are you a raider or a pve because GW2 does have PVE, but if you're a raider then I can understand how you probably like WoW on that part.

GW2 gave me that sensation I haven't felt in a long time when burning crusade came out. That's how epic it was and MoP was that way too until once again the constants nerf to classes that screws up your pve and pvp performance. That's whats killing it for me in WoW and it frustrates me that the game I use to enjoy a lot isn't the same anymore where it use to be creative like customizing your own build.

When I first played GW2 I felt like I was playing BC WoW + diablo together at the same time and that's a good thing. I was hoping WoW was going to get up to that level how GW2 is especially since WoW has tons of money. The sad thing is they never chose to upgrade themselves to make the game fun. All they did was copy and paste elements from the past from vanilla and BC never improving the game creativity. That's why we see people posting about bring back BC and vanilla servers while bashing the WOTLK, Cataclysm and like right now Mist of Pandaria.
Reply Quote
57 Goblin Shaman

Are you a raider or a pve because GW2 does have PVE, but if you're a raider then I can understand how you probably like WoW on that part.

GW2 gave me that sensation I haven't felt in a long time when burning crusade came out. That's how epic it was and MoP was that way too until once again the constants nerf to classes that screws up your pve and pvp performance. That's whats killing it for me in WoW and it frustrates me that the game I use to enjoy a lot isn't the same anymore where it use to be creative like customizing your own build.

When I first played GW2 I felt like I was playing BC WoW + diablo together at the same time and that's a good thing. I was hoping WoW was going to get up to that level how GW2 is especially since WoW has tons of money. The sad thing is they never chose to upgrade themselves to make the game fun. All they did was copy and paste elements from the past from vanilla and BC never improving the game creativity. That's why we see people posting about bring back BC and vanilla servers while bashing the WOTLK, Cataclysm and like right now Mist of Pandaria.

Again, I agree with you. The PvE is good, I really love it... But as someone who likes to do raids and actually have some sort of challenge, the game is just not offering anything for us. The game has so much potential, they can cater to casual players and people that want to raid with out having to make a lot of changes. I really don't know why they just decided to go with one. I am not saying it's bad game, it is great for people that like PvP or just casuals, but for us, raiders, not something we should be moving into just yet.

Maybe they will add some sort of raids for us later on, who knows? But, right now, I am just going to stick to WoW. If enough of us complain about it to Arena-net maybe they will add something... I can hope, I guess...
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
09/20/2012 03:12 PMPosted by Zinnabonn
I do see why this is not appealing to people, that's ok, everyone is different.

And this is the issue I have with the endgame complaint. People are not saying that they don't like WoW's endgame but that they also enjoy other types of "endgame"

I enjoy WoW's endgame quite a bit just like I have enjoyed playing gw2.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
No challenge? Do CoE on explorer, do Arah on explorer and tell me that's easy. Game has plenty of difficulty.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]