Mists of Pandaria Midnight Activation Details

100 Human Rogue
09/21/2012 05:12 PMPosted by Yodar
So no blue has touched on this or anyone else. If I bought a physical copy from Gamestop, am I able to come home and input a cd-key somewhere and do the midnight launch? Or will I have to install the cd's then go from there? I'd like to know that I have everything downloaded and ready. Then all I'd have to do is open the box and input a cd-key to gain access.

Wiether or not your Gamestop is having a midnight release is up to your local store, call to find out if they plan on doing it. My local gamestop is not since there simply isn't enough customer that preOrdered thanks to Digital Downloads. I know some Gamestops are though.

As for download and CD key, I'm not sure if you will need to install anything or not. There is a place on the battle.net account page to enter the CD key. I would hope you could just plug in the code and go, but even if you needed to install it should be fairly small.
Edited by Jettia on 9/21/2012 5:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Mage
Well, we're calling them tomorrow. Worst comes to worst, 24 hour walmart always has a mid night release. :P But yea, I was just hoping we had everything downloaded and just needed to enter in a key. Would be such a bummer to have to actually install all the discs while digital download peeps just get to run wild. Not saying anything bad, but buying the game is buying the game. No reason to have perks for buying it digitally of physically.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
09/21/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Yodar
Well, we're calling them tomorrow. Worst comes to worst, 24 hour walmart always has a mid night release. :P But yea, I was just hoping we had everything downloaded and just needed to enter in a key. Would be such a bummer to have to actually install all the discs while digital download peeps just get to run wild. Not saying anything bad, but buying the game is buying the game. No reason to have perks for buying it digitally of physically.

Pretty sure if you have an active account and are all patched up then you're good to go for when it releases. Just enter the key and you should be able to play without downloading anything else. That's my understanding of it, though I could always be mistaken (especially since I bought the digital version and it said it would start downloading but it never did).
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Mage
So, was 5.0.4 the 'all data downloaded' part or is there another download to go?
Reply Quote
09/21/2012 11:49 AMPosted by Xeloda
The Jade Forest is going to be MADNESS! I can't wait! :D

LET THE ALLIANCE SLAYING COMMENCE !!!!

:D

Yes, indeed, let the Alliance slaying Horde (especially Goblins) commence!
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
We’ve been very hard at work on this new technology with the goal of ensuring that players can enjoy a more stable and seamless transition into the next expansion than ever before. Our staff will be monitoring realm stability and gameplay issues around the clock, as we want to provide you with the best experience possible.

We’ll see you on Pandaria!

Was this 'new technology' tested as much, or more, than CRZ?
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Hunter
09/21/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Rizlet

LET THE ALLIANCE SLAYING COMMENCE !!!!

:D

Yes, indeed, let the Alliance slaying Horde (especially Goblins) commence!

The mana bomb should've be used on what's left on gnomergan. I hope to meet you in a CRZ on launch. The battle shall be glorious. And once I lose on my rogue I plan on cloak/vanishing.
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Druid
So... what about us CE folks? You'd think by the 4th expansion you'd have figured something out that would allow us to begin at 12 too.
Reply Quote
09/21/2012 11:48 AMPosted by Eldacar
The Jade Forest is going to be MADNESS! I can't wait! :D

That zone is bad !@# too...

Gonna be a rough week for me...just getting back to work after 6 months and it has to be the week one of my fav games gets an expansion..lol...but at least the limited play time tuesday - thursday night should mean the more starter zones clear out a bit...
Reply Quote
23 Gnome Rogue
Question: If you don't have MoP yet, and you start a (non-Monk) Pandaren, will it start on the Floating Isle zone? I assume so, but haven't seen anything from Blizz verifying this.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
09/21/2012 05:37 PMPosted by Marpesia
So, was 5.0.4 the 'all data downloaded' part or is there another download to go?

Would also like to know about when/if we have to download anything else right now before it goes live?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
09/21/2012 11:44 AMPosted by Zarhym
  • Level-85 characters will receive a new quest, no matter where they are in the world, which will guide them to Varian or Garrosh for further orders. If you’re online at midnight you will receive the quest even if your Quest Log is full -- or you can visit Varian or Garrosh to get started on your journey to Pandaria.

• Is this quest an automatic pick up only for those logged in when midnight ticks over, or will it be picked up on any 85 that logs in after Pandaria launches? There is a certain subset of challenge players that will take real exception to having a quest forced on them, after the struggle to level a character up to 85 without any completed quests.
    Edited by Peacecorwin on 9/21/2012 7:22 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    100 Worgen Druid
    Check your Data folder - if it's around 20GB, then I'm pretty sure you have all of the world data loaded for MoP. I'm not sure how it works, though; if someone who has NOT pre-enabled MoP could check and report the size of the Data folder ...?

My guess would be that what was downloaded when I did the digital purchase of MoP was applied in the patch, so I'm all ready to go (and no more patches between now and launch unless something REALLY bad shows up). Someone who hadn't done the digital upgrade didn't get the expansion data. Someone who gets the upgrade right now would immediately start downloading the additional data.

My guess is also that you'll be able to play immediately after entering the CD key even if you don't have all the data loaded, but you may occasionally have to wait a bit for things to load. The streaming loader is awesome!

Not sure why someone would say that this is the first digital release available. I'm quite certain I upgraded to Cataclysm via digital purchase.

I'm very happy I won't have to log out and back on for the client to notice that MoP is enabled, that was a real pain last time (I didn't get on for over an hour).

Oh, and if you don't have MoP enabled, you won't be able to do pet battles. You need MoP to do that, is my understanding.
    Reply Quote
    100 Worgen Druid
    09/21/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Peacecorwin
    There is a certain subset of challenge players that will take real exception to having a quest forced on them

You will have the quest the next time you log in after MoP is enabled. I guess you can always drop it, or just leave it in your quest log. Since there are various auto-accepted quests when you first create a character, not sure how that's such a big deal.

While you can presumably get a summons to Pandaria, or do instances by queuing, you won't be able to get to Pandaria any other way (similar to Deepholm). The portal to Pandaria (and the return portal) only open up once you complete that first quest on the ship once you get there.
    Reply Quote
    2 Tauren Druid
    I'm fairly certain everyone who plays the game currently has all of the data downloaded, regardless of what expansion you bought. You just need the key to unlock the level cap and the extra zones and whatever other content. You won't need to use the MoP CD unless you uninstall the game and install them all through CD.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    09/21/2012 06:55 PMPosted by Inígo
    Question: If you don't have MoP yet, and you start a (non-Monk) Pandaren, will it start on the Floating Isle zone? I assume so, but haven't seen anything from Blizz verifying this.

Yes you will. You will just not be able to go to "mainland" pandaria.

And there is no extra download, unless there's a patch between now and the 25th.
    Reply Quote
    90 Draenei Shaman
    09/21/2012 06:59 PMPosted by Thermia

Would also like to know about when/if we have to download anything else right now before it goes live?

Mists content has already been downloaded for most players if you've been playing recently.
    You should be good to go at Mists launch. :)

There is nothing to download right now. Any data that would get you ready for MoP should have already been downloaded as long as you have been playing.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6606362621?page=1#2
    Reply Quote
    100 Blood Elf Hunter
    09/21/2012 07:29 PMPosted by Growltiger
    There is a certain subset of challenge players that will take real exception to having a quest forced on them

You will have the quest the next time you log in after MoP is enabled. I guess you can always drop it, or just leave it in your quest log. Since there are various auto-accepted quests when you first create a character, not sure how that's such a big deal.

While you can presumably get a summons to Pandaria, or do instances by queuing, you won't be able to get to Pandaria any other way (similar to Deepholm). The portal to Pandaria (and the return portal) only open up once you complete that first quest on the ship once you get there.

Actually... there are not any forced accept quests in the beginning zones. All of them require you to initiate contact with the quest giver.

Since there are people who intentionally level characters without completing quests, this is a real problem.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Shaman
    I'd also appreciate any answers on Race Change. It would be nice to step into Pandaria as a Pandaren rather than waiting a few days to race change because I'm worried about doing about it pre-launch without any blue information on whether it will work.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]