WoW Losing Its Social Aspect

90 Gnome Mage
I recently did RaF with my girlfriend and I realized how less social WoW is now. I realized this when she kept telling me how boring it was when she was on because she didn't know anyone. Back when I started playing, there was no cross-realm and you had to ask trade chat to join groups to do dungeons, which you actually had to communicate in. You needed to join a good active guild to survive well. My point is you had to be social and make friends to truly play the game. It's difficult to find social groups besides guilds.

To Blizzard: Do you intend on bringing any of this some what mandatory socialization back to the game?
90 Gnome Priest
09/13/2012 05:18 PMPosted by Aturaan
2. From your perspective you want to make socializing mandatory to play the game, some people just like to be loners, and things like LFD and LFR help them do those activities without having to. Friends shouldn't be mandatory, they should be a wonderful thing you find by yourself.

This. Just because you're not socializing, doesn't mean the option to socialize doesn't exist.
85 Goblin Shaman
09/13/2012 05:21 PMPosted by Mareau
2. From your perspective you want to make socializing mandatory to play the game, some people just like to be loners, and things like LFD and LFR help them do those activities without having to. Friends shouldn't be mandatory, they should be a wonderful thing you find by yourself.

This. Just because you're not socializing, doesn't mean the option to socialize doesn't exist.

Exactly. Blizzard can gives us the tools, but it's up to us to use them. There are times I log in and don't want to talk to anyone. It's up to you to socialize. Make it happen. Blizzard can't make friends for you.
90 Blood Elf Warrior
The game is as social as the players make it. Blizzard has added tools to make it easier for people to form groups but they're hardly mandatory. I still chat to people, make new friends. Sometimes it starts with something as simple as a compliment on someone's mount, or giving a stranger a /lick. Just like real life, friends don't happen automatically.
57 Undead Warlock
Blizzard needs to do something about LFG. The lack of interaction between players in the world has really hurt this game. Having leveled numerous characters on both factions on several different realms it's easy to see how dead the world feels now. It's like playing a single player game at times. Flying mounts are another aspect that I wish would have never happened. Sure, it makes things more accessible but that also means there is less to explore and less chance for interaction when you can fly over everything and everyone. Yes, flying will be disabled at the launch of MoP for those zones until people hit 90 but what about after that and the rest of the world?

Blizzard has made things far too convenient and overly accessible. Nerfing EXP gained in LFG dungeons and possibly removing certain items would help stop this game from feeling like World of Queuecraft. I want the game to feel like a world again instead of the barren ghost town it feels like now.
86 Night Elf Druid

Well, it's certainly gone the opposite extreme, when you try to socialize most people either stay silent, refuse to talk to you because they don't know you or troll/harass you. Some will talk but they are pretty rare.
Edited by Catamari on 9/13/2012 5:28 PM PDT
7 Draenei Hunter
Thank you friends for agreeing with and making my opinions feel warm and welcome, SPICY CHICKEN FOR ALL!
24 Night Elf Priest
09/13/2012 05:28 PMPosted by Aturaan
Thank you friends for agreeing with and making my opinions feel warm and welcome, SPICY CHICKEN FOR ALL!

Oh, you're in for it nooooow. You better own a poultry farm.
73 Undead Priest
You can still try to form groups the old fashioned way with chat channels.
Nothing is forcing you to use the antisocial slot machine.
7 Draenei Hunter
09/13/2012 05:31 PMPosted by Madia

Oh, you're in for it nooooow. You better own a poultry farm.

But...It is so spicy and tender.
90 Human Warlock
I'll be social when WoW starts attracting actual people, rather than the mongoloid sociopaths that make up most of it's current playerbase.
90 Human Warlock

This.

I also tend to make friends off of the forum.

Meet a lot of nice people on here. n_n
90 Gnome Priest
09/13/2012 05:25 PMPosted by Lazeran
Blizzard has made things far too convenient and overly accessible. Nerfing EXP gained in LFG dungeons and possibly removing certain items would help stop this game from feeling like World of Queuecraft. I want the game to feel like a world again instead of the barren ghost town it feels like now.

I forget where, but I think Blizzard has apologetically acknowledged that the current game does tend to support simply porting out to 80-85 areas and then porting back to your city of choice when you're done as the extent of player's world-hopping. I imagine something's being done about that in MoP.
90 Troll Death Knight

This.

I also tend to make friends off of the forum.

Meet a lot of nice people on here. n_n
LIES!

They are all lies!
7 Draenei Hunter
09/13/2012 05:32 PMPosted by Callatham
I'll be social when WoW starts attracting actual people, rather than the mongoloid sociopaths that make up most of it's current playerbase.

*raises hand* Question, what is a mongoloid?
90 Human Priest
I completely agree. It started with the watering down of the game with the Lich King expansion. Too many people complained that they didn't get the chance to do the high end game raid's like Black Temple so Blizz made it where Everyone get's to do the highest dungeons. By doing this they made the game too easy where communication with other players is no longer necessary. In Outlands I had to constantly communicate withe other players to succeed. Now however I haven't actually communicated with anyone since Cata came out. I even deleted Vent because it is no longer needed and hasn't been for a long time. You no longer have to play smart and hard to earn a place in you're guilds hierarchy. Just Pug and Play. The Pug group destroyed WoW for me.
90 Gnome Priest
There was a lot more socializing in 2005 than say 2012. Because we had to be social to get into groups, into 40-man raids, in a good player vs player team. Now it's click a button and wait. Unless you're in a really social guild, the changes over the near-decade are staggering.

Did you know there used to be a Looking For Group channel in each zone in the first few years of this game? That's what was used to set up a group.

That's the point of many of the arguments being made here. Old WoW had more socializing because it was absolutely necessary to get anywhere. That's not a good thing for a game meant to cater to numerous players with differing personalities and playstyles.

You can still socialize to the extent of old WoW if you want, but - here's the thing - only if you want to. If you're not socializing, then you either don't want to, or just not using the tools you're given.

09/13/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Karod
The game is as social as the players make it. Blizzard has added tools to make it easier for people to form groups but they're hardly mandatory. I still chat to people, make new friends. Sometimes it starts with something as simple as a compliment on someone's mount, or giving a stranger a /lick. Just like real life, friends don't happen automatically.

Another thing I do, is whenever I'm on a class capable of dropping buffs on people not in my party, I just drop it on whoever I run across and see who stops to either thank me or buff back.

09/13/2012 05:40 PMPosted by Ignatius
I completely agree. It started with the watering down of the game with the Lich King expansion. Too many people complained that they didn't get the chance to do the high end game raid's like Black Temple so Blizz made it where Everyone get's to do the highest dungeons. By doing this they made the game too easy where communication with other players is no longer necessary. In Outlands I had to constantly communicate withe other players to succeed. Now however I haven't actually communicated with anyone since Cata came out. I even deleted Vent because it is no longer needed and hasn't been for a long time. You no longer have to play smart and hard to earn a place in you're guilds hierarchy. Just Pug and Play. The Pug group destroyed WoW for me.

Then you didn't try. That's your fault, not Blizzard's.
Edited by Mareau on 9/13/2012 5:43 PM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]