Workaround to Nvidia Crashes

90 Human Priest
I run an I7 2600K, 12 gigs @ 1600, Sandforce SSD, MSI Twin Frozr 580 GTX, Win 7 64 bit.

After some tinkering I got DX9 to actually show graphics. I am running the 32 client in DX 9 and about to run a dungeon to see if I might have been successful.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
H

Using the 9800 gtx with driver 306.23 current as of 08/30/2012. Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit.

I understand that the 9800 series is having problems on 64-bit since 5.0.5 with DX11. That said I seem to be having a somewhat unique error. When trying to downgrade to DX9, the game does in fact run more smoothly but the majority of the models fail to load in game. Orgrimmar becomes filled with floating enchants/particle effects. Even parts of the environment fail to load. All shadows and other effects load as normal, and the majority of the environment does as well, but no character/weapon models do, and only MY mount does.

I have been able to play the game on ultra with nearly 60 fps even with 5.0.4. The only degradation to my framerate has resulted from using the new SSAO graphics option. Once 5.0.5 hit the game crashes in almost random intervals and the card does in fact cause system crashes with Warcraft. after repeated flickers and nvidia display errors and recoveries the game slaps me with that BSOD that others are experiencing and I get a reboot.

While I know most of my information isn't new, I found the failure to load models with DX9 to be exceptionally odd.

Yes, well unfortunately you're trying to use DX11 on a 9800GTX which only supports DX10c to my knowledge. Hence your issue to render some of the models etc. You'll have to stay with DX9 API until you buy a newer card. So that's all I can really say on your issue.

My post may have been mis-worded. Prior to 5.0.5 The game was running at a near solid 60fps, with all settings (sans SSAO) maxed WITH DX11 enabled. yes on the 9800gtx. I was having no heat or crash issues whatsoever. Attempting to revert BACK to the DX9 API is when I begin having the issues with no models loading. Models not loading is NOT an issue when using DX11. This, is what is baffling me.
Reply Quote
40 Human Rogue
H

Yes, well unfortunately you're trying to use DX11 on a 9800GTX which only supports DX10c to my knowledge. Hence your issue to render some of the models etc. You'll have to stay with DX9 API until you buy a newer card. So that's all I can really say on your issue.

My post may have been mis-worded. Prior to 5.0.5 The game was running at a near solid 60fps, with all settings (sans SSAO) maxed WITH DX11 enabled. yes on the 9800gtx. I was having no heat or crash issues whatsoever. Attempting to revert BACK to the DX9 API is when I begin having the issues with no models loading. Models not loading is NOT an issue when using DX11. This, is what is baffling me.

Well that is indeed, baffling. Perhaps the updated the support for the 9800GTX to DX11 with a firmware update in the Nvidia package. Or perhaps it is pseudo-DX11 and runs on a mix of 9,10,11...Anyway, if the game runs perfectly fine on DX11 then happy gaming. (:

Thanks,

Ultrapotato
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Hunter
I have the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260 and its drivers are up to date, but I'm still getting lag quite a bit and an occasional drop completely from the game. I have noticed that if I keep restarting the game when the lag starts it will stop for a bit then come back. What are my options? I thought this was a good video card and still should be valid, but I don't really know the answer to that.
Edited by Valorà on 9/22/2012 3:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Hunter
I am running Windows 7 Home 64-bit, i7-2860QM @ 2.50Ghz, 16 GB RAM, GeForce GTX 675M.

I updated my nVidia drivers on 9/18 to 306.23 - WHQL and have had random WOW crashes for fatal errors ever since. Prior to the update I had no issues.

I have not yet switched to the temporary 'work around' of reverting back to DX11; still tinkering. ;0)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Priest
Here is what you do:
1 - Start WoW as you always do
2 - Go into the game menu
3 - Click on "System"
4 - Click on "Advanced" (on the left had side of the menu)
5 - Click on "Graphics API" heading
6 - Then Change Directx11 to --> Directx9
7 - You will then have to restart WoW to make the changes take place.
DONE !!

solve my CTD issue ! running a nvidia Geforce gt 525m.

performance got a bit afected but better than CTD every 5 to 10 min !
thanks man!

hope they fix the dx11 in a close futur :) at least i will be able to play MoP without being frustated every 5 min lol
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
i believe i have found a real solution for for the driver failing and recovering issue.

1) Open the NVIDIA control panel
2) under 3D setting click on Set PhysX Configuration
3) for the 'select a physx processor' change it from auto detect to your actual graphics card

seems to be working for me, i would also recommend completely removing all NVIDIA drivers/programs and re-installing the latest drivers before following the above 3 steps
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
What GPUs does this apply to?

I haven't seen anything like this with my 2x GTX680 in SLI setup.

Likely doesn't apply to you.

anyone running GTX680's in sli wouldn't buy a cheap power supply or install them a crappy computer case with no ventilation.

Edit - Or insist on gaming with an average mom and pop dollar store notebook with 5 year old hardware
Edited by Tyrlinger on 9/23/2012 9:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
i believe i have found a real solution for for the driver failing and recovering issue.

1) Open the NVIDIA control panel
2) under 3D setting click on Set PhysX Configuration
3) for the 'select a physx processor' change it from auto detect to your actual graphics card

seems to be working for me, i would also recommend completely removing all NVIDIA drivers/programs and re-installing the latest drivers before following the above 3 steps

This didn't work for me. I have a gtx 570, no heating issues, but it continues to alt/tab blackscreen momentarily, and becomes unresponsive when using dx 11. dx9 works fine.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
*** PROBLEM SOLVED temporary solution ***

First I want to thank Ultrapotato for posting the information on this thread and others to get me here to this one :). After days and days of updating drivers, formatting and reading forums i found this thread.

Here is what you do:
1 - Start WoW as you always do
2 - Go into the game menu
3 - Click on "System"
4 - Click on "Advanced" (on the left had side of the menu)
5 - Click on "Graphics API" heading
6 - Then Change Directx11 to --> Directx9
7 - You will then have to restart WoW to make the changes take place.
DONE !!

I have only had this error since patch 5.04, so I can only assume that it is some sort of bug that will be fixed in the future. Until then i'm happy to play using Directx9 and HAVE no more problems.

I have been playing for about 5 hours now without an issue. Now remember as mentioned above, "The downside is that you will not be able to use the DX11 API in WoW until the issue is solved by Nvidia and WoW Dev" But this seems to only be an issue with WoW.

Hope the simple direction helps

:)

I had done this yesterday, but it did not work, unfortunately I can't give any other specifics as I am in the process of reinstalling.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
H

The 9800GTX Has been obsolete for two years. Time to upgrade. if you have an older graphics card crying for someone to fix something to make it work often will not help.

The usable lifespan on graphics cards for gaming is at most 3 to 5 years.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413171981

As with all of our previous pre-expansion patches, the upcoming 5.0.4 patch will see improvements made to World of Warcraft’s graphics. While these improvements to our game’s engine are vital to keeping pace in a competitive marketplace, it also means that some video cards which were barely able to play the game during Cataclysm will no longer be able to play World of Warcraft once 5.0.4 launches.

World of warcraft now includes game video engine features en par with Crysis 2.

If you can't run Crysis 2 safely on "Ultimate WTF BBQ" without starting a housefire or getting 5fps you wont be running world of warcraft on ultra anymore.
Edited by Tyrlinger on 9/23/2012 10:15 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
I have similar problems. Running an older card, 8800 GS, but it is still supported. System is Vista 64-bit. Problem so far only occurs around the quest area around Zhu's Bastion in Krasarang Wilds. The place where the elemental looking guys are. The ground has a white aura emitting from it and the elementals have a similar glow to them. Even after switching to DX 9 mode driver still crashes. I think it has something to do with the colors and effects there that my card simply can't deal with or something. I've had similar problems with Diablo 3 but I've managed to work around most of the problems with a few notable exceptions. First the Barbs rend ability will cause the driver and the entire game to crash. White visual effect. I think it crashes sometime when playing the wizard too. :(

I never had any problems with this card until i upgraded system to 64 bit. Sucks. Which I could find a way to fix it.
Reply Quote
92 Goblin Shaman
So BLUE has considered it a possible BUG. Any updates regarding that possible 5.0 BUG?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warlock
Keep me posted on how using DX9 API went for you. I haven't had a single Nvidia crash. This is & was using the 301.42 WHQL drivers up to the current ones.

Post us some more info such as which card etc you are using. Running DX11 API with no issues as of to date. Low temps etc...+1 on the recommendation of afterburner.

Not a problem. The card I am using is the Nvidia GTX 570 by Asus.
You can find full information here: http://www.asus.com.au/Graphics_Cards/NVIDIA_Series/ENGTX570_DCII2DIS1280MD5/

My motherboard: Asus Sabertooth 990FX
http://www.asus.com.au/Motherboards/AMD_AM3Plus/SABERTOOTH_990FX/

My memory: 2x 8GB (4gbx2) kits of G.Skill Ripjaws-X DDR3 @ 1600mhz, 16gb total memory.
http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=355

My CPU: AMD FX-6100 Black Edition 6 core @ 3.20ghz. Find details below:
http://www.amd.com/us/products/desktop/processors/amdfx/Pages/amdfx-model-number-comparison.aspx

SSD for WoW & SCII: OCZ Agility 3 SSD 60gb version max 525mb/s read 500mb/s write
http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

PSU (Power supply unit): Coolermaster Silent Pro 850w I have an older version of this; However, this is essentially the same with minor physical changes.
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/product.php?product_id=2948

Case: Thermaltake Lanparty V5 Black Edition
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/product.aspx?c=1390&id=1947#Tab2

CPU Heatsink: Thermaltake Frio, I have both 120mm fans installed and I do not have the manual fan controllers installed. I am using Asus' quiet & cool. <- Mainly due to the fact that I hate the noise pollution my PC currently makes. It's also unnecessary even in Australia's climate to have the fans running @ 2500RPM etc.
http://www.thermaltakeusa.com/Product.aspx?C=1405&ID=1956#Tab1

I run in Windowed mode or Windowed fullscreen with DX9 API 1920x1080 Ultra 8x multisampling everything controlled by application in Nvidia utility. No vsync or triple buffering. The lowest FPS I see are around ~20-30 in Stormwind @ peak hour on a full server (Tichondrius US). I also run a second monitor for browsing/music etc.

I'd probably suggest if you're building a new PC to go with the ATI range and to always keep your warranties etc if your products are DOA and you have to return them. Their cards are excellent and I believe they're the way to go especially if you want to run more than one display and want to save a fair bit of cash on the way. Don't get me wrong Nvidia make good cards & this is just a personal opinion formed from my experiences & experiences of friends.

Thanks again for your replies and keep me posted here on if this is helping you. This problem seems to be with the 570/580/590 GTX cards atm.

PS: Sorry for wall of text & I run @ 45-48 degrees celsius in WoW which is the greatest stress on my GPU vs games such as BF3 (Battlefield 3) etc. This is with user-defined software automatic fan control @ 40-50% (2190 RPM on my card) fan speed for 40-50 degrees celsius.

PPS: I start afterburner with the options "Start with Windows" & "Start Minimized" enabled in the MSI AB properties.

I have the same mobo and have the 8120 8 core, I'm pleased you were able to find a workaround, since I'm planning to purchase a gtx 570 myself
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
Just spreading some love about 306.23 drivers that I've found.

Newest (306.63 developer) drivers for windows:
>> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368995 << Should be all you need.

They are developer drivers (like a director's-cut film) and not (yet) processed and guaranteed for the masses. I certainly feel more threatened by my drivers crashing and restarting multiple times a day than un-guaranteed drivers that have worked for me all day so far! I also didn't seem to be getting as serious crashes/issues as some other posts I've been reading: freezing/artifacts/system lock/even BSODS. But I figured it was my duty to at least make this information available to you guys.

If you're using more than one video card (sli) you might also want to open up Nvidia Control Panel and make sure your PhysX Processor isn't set to Auto under 3D Settings -> Set PhysX Configuration

I also noticed I got a bundle of 3D display programs and applications ("3D Vision") from one of the last few driver updates (probably 306.23). It wouldn't hurt to make sure 3D vision is disabled if you're not playing 3D (3D display/goggles/the whole 9yds).

Still testing but lemme know if this fixes it for you, too!

-PwNin'
Reply Quote
90 Troll Death Knight
DX9 crashes just as much. Nvidia 450GTS - No heat issues...
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6794230771

Dear nVidia friends: I fixed my issues in the above link. I play on ULTRA settings now with NO PROBLEMS whatsoever (except fps occassionally, but I've worked around that as well). Please, give it a try - it can't hurt.
Reply Quote
Hey i have been having the same problem as other people here, when i try to play wow my game just crashes, locking up my computer i cannot ctr alt del or tab out it just freezes and a buzzing comes from speakers. Sometimes it does a driver recovery and i can tab out. I have a Nvidia GT 540M, i have tried everything previously suggested to anyone else in this thread. I have the latest driver for my graphics card. When i went to Dx11- Dx9 the crashes were less frequent but still occured.. Help would be highly appreciated =)
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
What GPUs does this apply to?

I haven't seen anything like this with my 2x GTX680 in SLI setup.

Good to hear, Gotnorice.

Currently these cards have been stated as having issues with the DX11 API:
Nvidia GTX 9800 on 64 bit platform, apparently the GTX 9800 runs stable on 32bit
Nvidia GTX 570 on 64bit platform unknown stability on 32bit
Nvidia GTX 580 on ?
Nvidia GTX 660 on ?

If people are willing to post their cards & which OS IE: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit etc it would be appreciated so we can add which are causing problems to the list.

Thanks,

Ultrapotato.

Nvidia GTX 460 too, BTW having same low FPS and crash problem when using DX9 API, so this is what I did to fix the problem in case anyone is interested:

- Restart UI (deleting Cache / WTF and Interface folders)
- Testing addons one by one (also discovered zygor 4.0 have severe FPS problems using travel system so I turn it off)
- Set multisampling to 1x (greater value put more stress in your GPU video card)

worked like a charm, hope it will be useful :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]