Story of wow

85 Blood Elf Mage
Do players really care about the why things happen, where and by whom?

Seriously I would bet a vast majority of players have not got a clue about topics of major lore events. Whilst I don't have a problem with this it makes me curious why blizz puts so much effort into story and lore of expansions when most dont really care. All that seems to matter to these players is how much better they are than someone else or how much loot they get.

Take the cinematic post DS. I would not be surprised If most didn't have a clue what was going on and simply skipped right past it to get their loot and run.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/14/2012 05:43 PMPosted by Alyxia
Take the cinematic post DS. I would not be surprised If most didn't have a clue what was going on and simply skipped right past it to get their loot and run.

Well, it was probably their worst cinematic to date. Weird, embarrassing, and boring.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You're probably right about ppl not knowing or caring about lore but there are still players that do really care (me included). I love wow lore and that's the reason i keep playing. So at least blizz guys have some fans (me again) lol XD
Reply Quote
Most people don't

Everyone who comes here does
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage

Well, it was probably their worst cinematic to date. Weird, embarrassing, and boring.

Well I actually liked it.

I like the lore don't get me wrong. Just don't see why blizz put so much time and money into it when so few actually give a damn.

Edit - though I do admit I've always liked lore involving the dragon aspects.
Edited by Alyxia on 9/14/2012 6:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
15 Blood Elf Hunter
Well in DS Im either frustrated from a long RF pug sucking, or just really wanna see the loot. I think once I tried watching it... bout 1/2 through "WHO THE ____ HASNT ROLLED YET?!" came over vent >.>

Anyway, I love the story of the game. It makes it 10x funner imo to play. RPing is pretty fun too if done right.

09/14/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Alyxia

I like the lore don't get me wrong. Just don't see why blizz put so much time and money into it when so few actually give a damn.

Dragon Aspects, Titans and Old Gods is my favorite lore. The big main evil people, I actually dont like the Burning Legion. Sure Old Gods is sorta Generic Wow Enemies, but Id rather fight them then generic every game enemies...
Reply Quote
70 Troll Rogue
09/14/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Threeslotbag

Oh God, i hated that SOO MUCH

Thrall opens it up really wierd: "The Elements are resting once more. The Cataclysm is over"

Followed by the Dragon Aspects walking up and Bluntly and awkwardly stating "Our time is over. The age of Mortals has Begun"

Really? the Age of Mortals? c'mon Alexstraza. You can do better than that.

It was loosely tacked together, awkward for everyone, and felt very unsignificant in the whole jist of things (At least the LK cinematic felt like you did something amazing i.e. Kill the Lich King). At least Aggra gives Thrall the WTF look most of the time.

Anyways, theres people here on the Story Forum. So people obviously care about the lore. Simple as that
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

Considering that the storytelling has become more and more prominent through expansions, and how, supposedly, Mists of Pandaria has the most intricate lore of any expansion, I believe that Blizzard must have noticed that there are many players who do follow the lore. There is no indication that there are "so few people" who give a damn. In fact, in my guild alone, only one person actively ignores the lore while most of my guildmates bombard me with questions about Azeroth's history, as I am fairly well versed in the lore.
Edited by Abal on 9/14/2012 7:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Mage
Then that is good then. If only that we're true.
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
09/14/2012 05:51 PMPosted by Alyxia

no game without a story

09/14/2012 07:04 PMPosted by Abal
In fact, in my guild alone, only one person actively ignores the lore while most of my guildmates bombard me with questions about Azeroth's history, as I am fairly well versed in the lore.

why can't this happen to me?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

Cause the lore's the very foundation of the game?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
09/14/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Jonnyawesome

Thrall opens it up really wierd: "The Elements are resting once more. The Cataclysm is over"

Followed by the Dragon Aspects walking up and Bluntly and awkwardly stating "Our time is over. The age of Mortals has Begun"

It was loosely tacked together, awkward for everyone, and felt very unsignificant in the whole jist of things (At least the LK cinematic felt like you did something amazing i.e. Kill the Lich King). At least Aggra gives Thrall the WTF look most of the time.

Anyways, theres people here on the Story Forum. So people obviously care about the lore. Simple as that
Actually it follows up the end of WC3 quite well with Medihv's quote about the age of mortals.

You fail at this, go away and stop criticizing things you're ignorant about.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Rogue
Now Elrith, be nice. People have a lot of strong feelings about this game's lore.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
You're right, Elrith. I am sorry, Jonnyawesome.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/14/2012 06:58 PMPosted by Jonnyawesome

You forgot that when Alexstraza says that she's rubbing Aggra's uterus. The whole thing is just uncomfortable.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Warrior
It seemed pretty damn run of the mill to me for a theatrical story moment. The rubbing of an expected mother's tummy is a common gesture among people, playing funny jokes with context about basically a deity rubbing a mother's tummy (who reveres said deity) to make it seem uncomfortable is your prerogative I guess.

People love to pretend their interpretation of context in the lore is what "really" happened.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Rogue
Cause without a story this is red team of freaks vs blue team of more human looking freaks.

The story is the whole reason WoW exists, a good story can save a crap game and a crap story can take a good game and destroy it.

Heck even Team Fortress 2 has a story that is surprisingly awesome in a campy parody sort of style.

(Also Old Gods are the best lore ever. I have Yog'Saron fan art as my desktop wallpaper :D )
Reply Quote
88 Blood Elf Paladin
A game without a story isn't worth playing.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight

People love to pretend their interpretation of context in the lore is what "really" happened.

I think that's what bothers me the most about this forum. People runaway on tangents just because they believe their point of view over the objective point of view.

Still, there's a decent amount of reasonable people here, even during heated AvH arguments.

(Also Old Gods are the best lore ever. I have Yog'Saron fan art as my desktop wallpaper :D )

I dunno about "best lore ever", but I believe it is quite enjoyable and much more intriguing than what many would say to the contrary.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
For me the lore actually makes this world we call Azeroth and even Outland feel more connected. Otherwise it could just be any generic land like n some RPGs which have no special stories that define each land.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]