Will this laptop run Wow good?

85 Night Elf Druid
AMD Quad-Core A6-3420M accelerated processor
2.40GHz, 4MB L2 Cache

4GB DDR3 SDRAM system memory (expandable to 8GB)
Gives you the power to handle most power-hungry applications and tons of multimedia work

500GB SATA hard drive
Store 333,000 photos, 142,000 songs or 263 hours of HD video and more

SuperMulti DVD Burner
Watch movies, and read and write CDs and DVDs in multiple formats

10/100Base-T Ethernet, 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Connect to a broadband modem with wired Ethernet or wirelessly connect to a Wi-Fi signal or hotspot with the 802.11b/g/n connection built into your PC

17.3" HD+ BrightView LED-backlit display
AMD Radeon HD 6520G discrete-class graphics with up to 2037MB total graphics memory

its only 369$ refurbished so i am thinking about it, i need a laptop so i can have move around easy. Joining the army in December so yea!

please gimme some advice, if you find a better laptop tell me! But it has to be under like 450
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If your computer was manufactured in the last three years, it'll probably run WoW on the lowest settings. The game isn't that intensive.

Really only three things matter: Your RAM, your graphics setup, and your processor. WoW has nothing to do with your display or your DVD burner and whatnot.

You didn't post anything about the graphics card so we can't tell you anything about how well the game will run on that laptop. It's the equivalent of wanting to know how fast your car will go with no engine specs.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Alas but i did. It describes the graphics card.

09/17/2012 09:54 PMPosted by Juddo
AMD Radeon HD 6520G discrete-class graphics with up to 2037MB total graphics memory
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
You might want to check on tech support. One of the MPVs has a very cool sticky with some tips for hardware. As my personal input: the graphic card is not dedicated, which means low performance. You probably will be safe for playing wow while @school break or hotel but i'd save and get something better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
Alas but i did. It describes the graphics card.

Ah, it wasn't double-spaced in your post so I missed it while skimming :P

It'll have issues if you push it past low graphics settings or play for long periods. Bear in mind that laptops are also prone to heating issues, so play on a cooling pad. Just keeping the laptop on a desk often isn't enough to keep it cool during gaming.
Edited by Icedragon on 9/17/2012 10:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I found this one for 400.

AMD Radeon HD 7520G Graphics with 1GB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM

So dedicated means its a good graphics card? The processor on this one is 2.6 Ghz

Here is the link http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gateway-Glossy-Red-15.6-NV52L06u-Laptop-PC-with-AMD-A-Series-A6-4400M-Processor-and-Windows-7-Home-Premium-with-Windows-8-Pro-Upgrade-Option/20863724

Yea i cooling pad sounds like a good investment. I wont play much longer than two hours, other than weekends lol
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/17/2012 10:23 PMPosted by Juddo
AMD Radeon HD 7520G Graphics with 1GB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM

It's still a low to mid-range graphics card, so it's not much better than the other one you linked.

A dedicated card means it has its own memory to handle graphics so it's not trying to share memory with the processor. Think of it like putting together a puzzle while trying to share a small desk with someone doing math homework - irritating as hell and very slow, right? If you give graphics its own memory (or desk in the metaphor) it'll be faster and able to do more things.

This list can help if you're checking out graphics cards. It's easy to do a Ctrl-F with the brand/model/number of the card you're looking for, then check the heading it falls under.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-Graphics-Cards-Benchmark-List.844.0.html

Edit: Reading the comments on the computer you linked shows that the amount of dedicated memory the card has is pretty crappy right off the bat:
"What is the real amount of video memory on this laptop. Description shows 1GB, but, models on display only show 512MB."
Gateway responded, "512MB dedicated with the rest as shared memory."

In general you're not going to find a decent gaming laptop for under $300, $400, or even $500. Gaming laptops usually are more expensive than desktops because you have to pack more specialized parts into a MUCH more cramped area to get the same performance. My Aurora desktop might weigh forty five pounds but upgrading it is very easy and it has more lasting power than multiple laptops over the course of its life. Your search isn't going to be easy, though the folks in the Games/Gaming/Hardware forum might be able to point you in the right direction.
Edited by Icedragon on 9/17/2012 10:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Honestly as long as it plays at medium settings i am fine.

I dunno ill research more! Thank you!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]