blood elf priests?

(Locked)

87 Blood Elf Priest
So this has been tickling my brain.

Priests are supposedly the spiritual leaders of their people, but I don't think sin'dorei or even the quel'dorei before them really 'worship' anything, nor would many of them admit to needing spiritual guidance.

I guess for practical matters, a blood elf priest is more like a "light mage". They aren't really doing anything spiritual, but they know the Light is inside them, and they have faith in themselves, and they use the Light like any other tool.

I'm guessing the word 'priest' when rendered in Thalassian is more a reference to ancient Kal'dorei traditions and no longer carries any kind of connotation of devoutness.

What do you guys think about Blood Elf priests?
90 Blood Elf Mage
It may have changed a bit since we've restored the Sunwell. Most of the lore we know about Blood Elves comes from before the Sunwell was released.

Perhaps we'll find out more about how the Sin'dorei have moved on since the restoration of the Sunwell as a font of holy power when Lor'themar gets his loving in MoP?
85 Night Elf Druid
They worshipped the Holy Light. The same religion as the humans.

After the events of WCIII, most Blood Elven priests felt the Light abandoned them, and in TBC resorted to draining it from M'uru(Some of these priests, namely Lady Liadrin, went on to found the Blood Knights). But there were still priests that believed in the Light(For example, the ones who are mind-controlled in Silvermoon's re-occurring event).

I don't think there's any lore reason as to why the Elves would adopt a human religion. I think it really just comes down to the fact that in WCIII, Blizzard wanted High Elves to be the "caster" units of the Alliance, and so the priest unit was a High Elf.

Now post-TBC it's of course different. No Horde race worships the Alliance-specific "Holy Light". It would break the lore because it would be a conflict of interest in the eyes of the Alliance priesthoods. Which is why we get other versions of it, like the Naaru-infused Sunwell, Sun Paladins, Loa worship, shadow worship, etc.
85 Night Elf Druid
The humans believed in the Light for a long time. It just started manifesting itself with the most devout of followers in the second war, starting with Archbishop Faol and then the Paladins.

I think people also tend to underestimate how close the Elves, Humans, Dwarves and Gnomes were prior to the forming of the Alliance. In the least, the Elves weren't enemies of any of the races. There was trade, and relations, and sharing of knowledge.

It's not that the Elves ever thought themselves "above" the Light or anything. It's that they're so damn full of themselves that they thought(and still think) that they are just better at using it because of how innately good with magic they are.
88 Blood Elf Paladin
There are "paladins" and "priests" in WoE heroic. I doubt "light" as a magic was ever foreign to the Blood/High Elves. "The Holy Light" as a religious concept was.
10 Night Elf Hunter
I'd imagine they wielded the Light in the same manner Gnome priests wield it now.
90 Blood Elf Priest
So as it was said. Yeah, a lot of them believed in it and some continued to do so even after the fall of Silvermoon. If I'm not mistaken, the lore says there are only a few who remained priests.
100 Night Elf Hunter
Blood elves couldn't wield the light cause they were too angsty about the whole sunwell detonation. But with the relighting of the sunwell some of them may have gotten over it emotionally.

I don't think there should be a problem with it.
100 Undead Priest
I guess for practical matters, a blood elf priest is more like a "light mage". They aren't really doing anything spiritual, but they know the Light is inside them, and they have faith in themselves, and they use the Light like any other tool.
Well a common title used to denote High Elf Priests in CoT is...

"Mage-Priest"

Which indicates to me that there may be a bit more cultural equivalency to those two classes in Quel'dorei society.
85 Night Elf Hunter
Sorry for necroing this thread:

I believe Blood elves seem to approach the light from more of an intellectual perspective(at least more so then the dwarves and Humans).

As a priest when you talk to blood elves priest trainers they say "The light gives us the strength and magic to triumph." This easy implies they do not worship it but more of use it for practical means.

Also in Silvermoon the priests are located in the Sunfury Spire, next to the mages, and when you enter their room it looks more like a place of study(like a library) then a place of worship(like you find in Stormwind or even Darnassus, different type of worship but worship non the less,)

Also it has been demonstrated that the magisters use priests to control the population, so that further adds to it. And I believe the priests in WCIII were actually referred to as mage-priests.

Also just because the Church of Holy Light believes you can only wield the light from intense worship does not necessarily mean it is correct(look at goblin for example, several times they have demonstrated they use it for monetary gain), organized religion has been wrong in the past, and I will leave it at that.
100 Human Monk
10/20/2012 06:15 AMPosted by Elfreda
As a priest when you talk to blood elves priest trainers they say "The light gives us the strength and magic to triumph." This easy implies they do not worship it but more of use it for practical means.

It also heavily implies(if not outright tells you) that they have immense faith in it.

Which, prior to the Scourge invasion, is what the Blood Elves needed to channel it at all.

Also in Silvermoon the priests are located in the Sunfury Spire, next to the mages, and when you enter their room it looks more like a place of study(like a library) then a place of worship(like you find in Stormwind or even Darnassus, different type of worship but worship non the less,)

Priestesses of Elune don't seem to study much, but humans do. There was a quest series in vanilla about finding a rare book for a priest. There's a library in Northsire Abbey. And the Draenei, too: Remember the TBC opening cinematic?

Worshipping the Light in most of its forms requires study. Years of it. On the philosophies and history of its worship. It is very intellectually minded, in that sense.

Also it has been demonstrated that the magisters use priests to control the population, so that further adds to it. And I believe the priests in WCIII were actually referred to as mage-priests.

That was something added in TBC to illustrate the kind of direction the Blood Elves were going. To deal with the protesters who were against joining the Horde, the law adopted a zero tolerance policy and the magisters did as you described.

Back then it was more of a case of the Blood Elves having a crisis of faith, and so they resorted to the Magisters plan of draining M'uru. There was presumably a divide among st the Priests, in that sense. Consider that the Blood Knights were all former priests as well.

It lead to a kind of attitude where the Blood Elves drawing energy from M'uru felt as if they had become "superior" at wielding the Light compared to the Alliance because they no longer needed faith or morality to use it.

As for mage-priests, one thing I believe about WCIII(I could be wrong) is that they didn't divide any of the magic into schools/sources yet like in WoW. Magic was magic. Nothing was really clarified until the RPG books were released, and I'm not sure when those started getting published.

Also just because the Church of Holy Light believes you can only wield the light from intense worship does not necessarily mean it is correct(look at goblin for example, several times they have demonstrated they use it for monetary gain), organized religion has been wrong in the past, and I will leave it at that.

One thing that we do know about the Light is that it requires faith to draw it. What's sketchy is what you place your faith in. Don't doubt for a second that Goblins don't have zealous faith in capitalism. Money defines their culture and it has made them prosperous; so why not put spiritual faith in it?

Though really, it's best not to put too much stock into comic relief quests. Their there for the laugh, as are most Goblin quests.
100 Human Mage
High Elves followed the -Philosophy- (not religion) of the Holy Light prior to the destruction of Quel'thalas. Being a -Philosophy- originating from humans, however, its doubtful it ever had the kind of scope and range in Quel'dorei society that it does in human society (similar to how its not focal to Dwarves). All I can speculate is that the High Elves took a human concept and adapted it to suit their own culture, thus, you saw Mage-Priests.

After the Sunwell's restoration... all bets are off, the jury is still out on this one. Blizzard really needs to explain how Sin'dorei culture has changed specifically with the advent of the Sunwell.

There is no record of the Quel'dorei ever adapting any form of spiritual institution or practice after they separated from the Kaldorei. Indeed, given how much they formed their culture to be an antithesis to the Kaldorei's, even going so far as to change their sleeping patterns as a race, its entirely possible the High Elves outright abandoned spirituality.

If they did maintain some form of worship, I'd expect they'd have worshiped a Sun God, but in either case, it didn't carry through the ages to the present day in any meaningful form. Its possible, "May the Eternal Sun guide you," is a reference to such a worship, but by no means true. Sort of like why people today say, "Bless you," when you sneeze; its the polite thing to do, even if you're an atheist.

Anyways, my thoughts on Blood Elf Priests? Underused in the story. To be blunt, I'm very surprised we don't see more High Elven priests; the ones we see are mostly Ranger types, which strikes me as odd. Anyways, given the set of abilities priests have, I don't see why they don't have a more prominent place in Sin'dorei culture. I'm not suggesting they lead, but yeah. When your race suffered a near genocide, healers and those who can alter the minds and emotions of others seem like the kind of people to be high in demand.
100 Human Monk
10/20/2012 07:51 AMPosted by Elenie
After the Sunwell's restoration... all bets are off, the jury is still out on this one. Blizzard really needs to explain how Sin'dorei culture has changed specifically with the advent of the Sunwell.

They did. Look up the Blood Elf behind the scenes video.
100 Human Mage
10/20/2012 07:54 AMPosted by Draile
They did. Look up the Blood Elf behind the scenes video.

Is it weird that when I read this my first thought was, "Ugh, what a pain, isn't there a transcript I can read?" Anyways, what I mean is something in the Lore to discuss how the Blood Elf society has changed since the Sunwell was restored. Little behind the scenes stuff is nice and all, but its no good if its never reflected in the Story, you know?
100 Human Monk
Welcome to the World of Warcraft.

Where the writing is so bad we have to ask the writer's what is happening.
100 Human Mage
Welcome to the World of Warcraft.

Where the writing is so bad we have to ask the writer's what is happening.

I wouldn't say its bad, just that they really need to somehow convey what's going on. If not changes in-game, then at least in a book or something. I don't see why they haven't released a Blood Elf and/or Draenei novel. A glimpse into the cultures of these societies and how they've changed would be welcomed by the players.

The leader short stories were all pretty good glimpses into leaders and even a little of their people's cultures and societies. I don't see why more stuff like that doesn't happen. Granted I also don't see how/why it took months between each submission, other than just keeping to a time table.
100 Human Monk
They did the leader short stories the way they did to pace them throughout the expansion. Something to keep us tide over, so to say.

Their interest is prolonging our distraction with this game, keep in mind.
100 Human Mage
They did the leader short stories the way they did to pace them throughout the expansion. Something to keep us tide over, so to say.

Their interest is prolonging our distraction with this game, keep in mind.

Still, it was well received for the most part, I think. Some people didn't like the writing styles or the content, but the stories were appreciated. More short stories would be welcome, I'd imagine.
100 Night Elf Warrior
It's very important to remember as Draile pointed out, the backbone of Blood Knights' existence was their feeling that the Light abandoned them when Arthas came to Quel'thalas.

This implies they were a religious people and found it more than just a magical means of quenching their thirst.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]