About to upgrade my PC DIY style

90 Tauren Death Knight
Gonna be getting a AMD 4.5Ghz processor and 16 gigs of ram I currently have a 24 pin 750 watt power supply I got and I will be plugging in my gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti should I upgrade my power supply? I am also moving 2 TB of hard drive space....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you haven't gotten them yet, you would be better off with an Intel setup. 16GB of RAM does nothing for gaming, by the way.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Thank you peeps!
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Consult this guide: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6293460070

AMD is not recommended because their newest CPU's have terrible IPC which causes serious FPS issues in CPU bound games such as world of warcraft. The new intel CPU's are cheaper than an AMD solution at all levels and perform much better. Their 60 dollar budget CPU beats AMD's up to about 130 dollars, and intels 120 dollar CPU trumps ALL AMD CPUs including their 200+ dollar one.

Gonna go with this Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 and build around that gonna see if I can get a good mother board and RAM to go with it all together for around 500 dollars

Thanks so much I need good equipment for heroic tanking :)
Edited by Mælstromedos on 9/19/2012 7:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would only buy the i5-3570k if you WILL definitely overclock the CPU. If you will, you must pick up a Z77 board, and a good CPU cooler as stock one is no good for that.

Ensure RAM to be 8GB (2x 4GB), DDR3-1600, 1.5v operational voltage.

Your power supply does not need to be replaced unless if it's a poor brand with no 80 Plus certification of any kind.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/19/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
BTW kal I am using a 1080p Samsung 51 inch 3D TV and Nvida said something about ordering their blueray 3D addon should I do that or it it just a gimmick I am going to keep the GeForce 560 Ti in the new system got it running smooth at 1.3 ghz on the core clock. Thinking of getting 8 gig sticks and going 8x4 for 32 gigs of ram to future proof my machine a bit

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130653
Edited by Mælstromedos on 9/19/2012 10:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Gimmick.

By the time 32 GB of DDR3 RAM would ever become useful, we'd have something like i5-15000k with DDR6 RAM. ;x
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Just realized my power supply is only 530 watts

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152028

Thought I had ordered the 700 watt one....

Got any suggestions for power supplies around 50-80ish dollars?
Edited by Mælstromedos on 9/19/2012 11:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Any 500W 80 Plus Bronze certified modular power supplies.

IE) PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W.

600W version optional if you really want it.
Edited by Kalganized on 9/19/2012 11:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
While there are more efficient power supplies than yours, you don't need a new one. A power supply does nothing to make your computer faster or better; it either delivers enough current or it doesn't. Yours will.

I'd recommend no more than 16gb of ram...there's just no need for more, and even at 16gb you'd have to multi-task pretty heavily, like play WoW while also working in Photoshop with large images.

Just trying to save ya money.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
09/20/2012 09:18 AMPosted by Selvaganesh
Just trying to save ya money.

Money which will make the difference between me getting the i5 or i7 processor. Thank you I plan on getting this mother board and wonder if it will work.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157315 Mobo
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I can't see the exact board you mean, but Asrock is fine. They started off as a company that offered odd configurations, like the ability to use two different kinds of ram, the ability to install a next-gen cpu via a daughter board, stuff like that. They found a unique value/usefulness niche. They've since grown into essentially a major player in the motherboard market.

As far as the board goes, you can sort of save some money there as well, especially since you aren't planning on using two video cards. A board with a B75 chipset would be fine - it still has USB 3.0 and SATA 6gb.

Yeah, again on your psu, it's a modular 530w 80+ (not bronze, but still) psu with overvolt and overload protection. It's definitely fine, and you'd much rather spend the extra 50-70 bucks on the video card or the cpu over a new power supply. People tend to get a bit hardcore about power supplies, but as long as it delivers enough power and has overload protection, it's fine. I used an old 430w Coolermaster (single 12v rail) for like 7 years without issue. lol.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Note i7 has virtually zero advantage in games, and by the time games actually take advantage of 8 threads offered by i7, your i7 will long be outdated.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Just wanted to update everyone on what I ended up getting.

I now use a intel second gen i5 3570 with 16 Gigs of RAM with my Nvida GeForce GTX 560Ti with 64 Gigs Virtual Memory on a secondary hard drive with a total of 1 1/2 TB of total HD Space.

My entire build cost was around 900 dollars if you were to buy every single thing but I did it over time so it ended up costing me less than buying every part all at once. However with that said I was wondering is it worth it at this point for me to buy a SSD for wow if I am always getting 70-125 FPS on ultra maxed settings in 1080p 3D?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
SSD is recommended but it also means you have to reinstall the OS (unless you are willing to do SSD tweaks manually that Windows 7 does during install).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]