A Place for My Pandaren (Alliance or Horde?)

85 Night Elf Druid
Hey there. I had a whole nice post all written up and ready to go, but then I tried to preview it and it went zippo. So, unfortunately, that means that I'm not going to be all elaborate this time around. Oh well, that's probably a good thing in the long run.

Basically, what I'm looking for is a few opinions on whether or not I should roll my Pandaren monk as an Alliance or a Horde character. I'm mostly an Alliance player, but I'd be interested in trying the Horde out as something new with this character. As most of my RP since Cataclysm has been nelf-centric and based out of Kalimdor, I've sort of lost my sense of what's going on in broader Alliance roleplay, and I pretty much know nothing about the going-ons Horde-side.

The character himself is an adaptable sort, and should be able to make a happy home within either faction. He's neither strictly Tushui nor Houjin, but instead adheres to a personal philosophy that takes elements from both. He's both a healer and a fighter, but has dedicated his life mostly to the practice of traditional pandaren medicine (which I have based mostly off of TCM--traditional Chinese medicine). The "twist" with the character is that he's no more a sagely old physician than he is an orc; the reality of the situation is that, out of the same shop where he sells his services as a healer, he also traffics all manner of illicit substances. On the Wandering Isle, he was both a renowned physician and an infamous brawler, gambler, and dealer. He gained some public notoriety, of which he was quite proud, and held a secure position as one of the leaders of the Isle's underground community. Wherever he winds up, he will most likely be trying to emulate this experience.

Personality-wise, he's loud and amicable; the kind who likes to draw attention to himself, but is far above making a fool of himself to do so. He is constantly exuberant, and always tries to make the best of any situation for himself. In this way, he is quite enterprising. He is passionate and ambitious, but is also intelligent, shrewd, and present. While on the surface he appears to be the definitive pandaren, he posses what is truly a hedonistic soul, with little regard for the values of his people. What makes him different from the heroes of pandaren society is his commitment to pleasurable experiences and personal advancement, and the twisted morality that justifies his way of life.

I expect that my experiences with the character will be entirely different, depending on where he winds up. I can imagine having a lot of fun with either faction, though, and that's why I need some help making a choice. With which faction do you think he would fit better? Which community do you think he's more prone to flourish in? What kind of options are out there for roleplay of this nature, which delves into mature topics like substance usage and moral corruption?

And, of course, if you think you or your group might happen to be interested in roleplaying with my character, then that’s super exciting. :D
Reply Quote
Heya! Maybe this will help you out a bit:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6397720402

"Just as it's comparatively rare for a Pandaren to be struck with an urge to wander the world, it's rarer still that one would feel compelled to align oneself with a faction such as the Horde or Alliance. Only those who are convinced these factions are the key to healing Azeroth would even consider pledging their allegiance to one faction or the other."

It may just come down to that. Hope this helps! :)
Edited by Santiágo on 9/16/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thank you for the link to the guide. It's quite insightful and well put-together. I have taken a lot of time to review Pandaren lore--both the original stuff from the RPG, and the new, more official lore--as I've always been extremely interested in it. The problem that comes with selecting a faction for my monk is that his philosophy doesn't strictly align with either of the presented schools (this has to do with his background), and that he has reason enough to join both factions.
Reply Quote
09/16/2012 05:10 PMPosted by Tularius
Thank you for the link to the guide. It's quite insightful and well put-together. I have taken a lot of time to review Pandaren lore--both the original stuff from the RPG, and the new, more official lore--as I've always been extremely interested in it. The problem that comes with selecting a faction for my monk is that his philosophy doesn't strictly align with either of the presented schools (this has to do with his background), and that he has reason enough to join both factions.

Indeed! It seems like in your situation, it'll come down to a coin toss or maybe just what you're comfortable with OOC since it can go both ways IC. Goodluck! :D
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
Thanks! There are factors that are pulling me both ways, which is why I'm looking for a better understanding of both the Alliance and Horde roleplaying communities, to see where I think I'll have the most fun playing him.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
As someone who mainly sticks to Horde, I can see myself flipping a desk and shouting, "screw it!" and sticking to Horde in your situation. It's comfortable and familiar!

What in going to try to do is hop out of my comfort zone and try and go Alliance, so maybe you can challenge yourself and go Horde?

My advice to you is to not ask "what guilds can I find RP in", though. Find a few decent folk and meet up with them, and see what happens! Battletags are lovely for this. Here's mine! Alej#1645
Reply Quote
96 Blood Elf Priest
Well... you can always wait, roll a horde panda and give it a try. If it's not your cup of tea, you can reroll before you level much higher, and then experience the alliance quests for the panda adventure. Normally I say roll an alt horde side and see if you like the rp, but rp is subjective depending on how you're playing your character, and you won't exactly get a fair idea of what kind of rp you get if you roll a tauren pretending to be a panda right now *grin*
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
You could always just wait until that pivotal moment to decide. Do the quests in character and go with whatever moves him based on what he's seen.
Reply Quote
62 Tauren Paladin
Well, if it means anything to you, Tularius, I do want to encourage you for Horde, and to toot our own horn, I will tell you this:

Currently, there is a guild going up called Huojin, that plans to become a live guild with the launch of Mists. We're going to be mostly Pandaren, but do have special exceptions (Such as you know, if people want to be in the guild and are IRL friends but are orcs , entirely OOC rank by the way) or if they're monks of any race! And just for a brief background, we're not the Wanderlust "We want to see the world" Pandaren. It's the Pandaren that want to aid the Horde best they can.

Anyway, with that done, the main purpose of telling you of it was to alert you that there is a guild Horde side going up, so if you want, you may feel at home there.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Male -- Horde.
Female -- Alliance.

My input.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
Male -- Horde.
Female -- Alliance.

My input.

Why do it according to gender? o.o
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Male -- Horde.
Female -- Alliance.

My input.

Why do it according to gender? o.o

In hopes I never have to see FemPandas.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]