Freshly Minted Prot Pally Cooldown Questions

90 Blood Elf Paladin
Hi all! I just hit 85 (working hard to get enough gear to run Theramore) and was wondering when/ how I should be using my cooldowns.

I've got so many, I don't know if I should be sitting on them all to have so I can cast in tandem with each other (such as GoAK and Ard. Def. since they have similar CD timers). I know this is a total noob question, but this is my first time end-game tanking and want to do things right so I don't build up a bunch of bad habits.

Any tips?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Depends on what you're fighting. Certain bosses have specific times you want to use cooldowns (e.g. Impale on Madness, high stacks of Void Bolt on Yor'sahj, Infinite Breath on Murozond), otherwise it comes down to when you need them.

You should never want or need to stack them, though. Damage reductions stack multiplicatively, so you're actually getting less reduction by stacking them than you'd think.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Duly noted; chaining is the way to go.

I'm mostly curious about this since I don't ever seem to have any health issues in the 5-mans I'm running that switching from Sh. of Righteousness to WoG won't solve (as far as holy power usage is concerned).
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
Five mans aren't very dangerous anymore, and they weren't designed with our new active defense system in mind. Shield of the Righteous and Word of Glory are very potent now.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Ah, well all the same I'd like to get it right while the "training wheels" are still on.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Depends on what you're fighting. Certain bosses have specific times you want to use cooldowns (e.g. Impale on Madness, high stacks of Void Bolt on Yor'sahj, Infinite Breath on Murozond), otherwise it comes down to when you need them.

You should never want or need to stack them, though. Damage reductions stack multiplicatively, so you're actually getting less reduction by stacking them than you'd think.

This, and dont use an oh !@#$ button. Use your sacred shield before the pull and keep it up. ShoR when avaialble and stack it on WoG then use your WoG if you need health or are taking a lot of damage.

I need to check this but maybe someone can just answer it. If at 100% health and you use your WoG does it still apply and shield for absorption or did they remove that in 5.0? Couldnt find anything online about it and I cant check because i'm at work :P
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're gonna glyph Divine Protection, always use it, the cooldown is minimal, otherwise only use it when there's magical damage. If you take Unbreakable Spirit along with DP glyph you'll probably get to use it often and mitigate a lot of damage.
If you take Hand of Purity, use it whenever you see someone get a DoT on him.

Save Avenging Wrath and Holy Avenger as oh !@#$ buttons (Holy Avenger is a powerful cooldown allowing you to keep the SotR buff up for its whole duration and/or get WoG off pretty quickly).

At level 90 you can pick Execution Sentence and alternate it with Divine Protection for constant extra mitigation/healing.

On the cooldowns everybody has (Ardent Defender, Guardian of Ancient Kings), I'd do as Keten said, avoid popping them at the same time. And try to use AD if you're near death to get the most out of it.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Paladin
09/18/2012 01:22 AMPosted by Alduen
If you're gonna glyph Divine Protection, always use it, the cooldown is minimal, otherwise only use it when there's magical damage

Even glyphed I would avoid using DP on cooldown. Set up a Weak Aura to tell you when you fall below 75% or something, and use it as your "first response" cooldown.

Just my opinion.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Paladin
09/18/2012 01:19 AMPosted by Form
I need to check this but maybe someone can just answer it. If at 100% health and you use your WoG does it still apply and shield for absorption or did they remove that in 5.0? Couldnt find anything online about it and I cant check because i'm at work :P

The overheal shield is gone. If WoG will be mostly overheal, don't use it.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Great advice, I'll be sure to bear it in mind while running dungeons and such.

Now if I could just get Murazond to drop my chest piece...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Also just had a though: is it viable to stack Avenging Wrath with Holy Avenger? I've been using them in tandem to either build a ridiculously long Sh. of the Righteous buff or as a dps CD.

For instance, I might use these two during bloodlust when I know most dps classes will blow all their major CD's and start stealing my precious precious threat. Since I'm causing more damage and am able to use my high-threat ability much more often, I can keep up with them or even negate whatever threat they might be starting to generate.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
The overheal shield is gone. If WoG will be mostly overheal, don't use it.

Thanks, couldnt find any information anywhere about this. I havnt had a chance to play this week so this is really good to keep in mind.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]