Building a New Rig, Need the Experts!

90 Human Warrior
Updated rig below!
Edited by Smittius on 9/19/2012 5:17 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
Have you seen my guide? :o

That said, answers to your questions -

1. If you will OC your i5, i5-3570k + Z77 board like ASRock Z77 Extreme3, if you won't, i5-3330 + B75 board. i5 already performs excellent without OC, OC is just an icing on top.

2. Intel HD graphics is irrelevant in this situation. I am not sure why Intel continues to throw in top-end integrated graphics in an enthusiast CPU -- no enthusiasts will be using integrated Intel graphics except in a pinch / troubleshooting / emergency anyway (like your dedicated GPU died or something).

3. Go with ASRock Z77 Extreme3 instead. The Z68 version of it was pretty damn popular, and this will continue the trend, I'm sure.

4. If you will not OC, you don't need a 3rd party CPU cooler. Otherwise, Hyper 212+ EVO is a great cooler. Ignore anyone who says otherwise -- it's something else that is causing it to not perform very well.

5. GeForce GTX 550 Ti is roughly equal to HD 6770. This would still have granted you a good boost from HD 4650.

What you didn't know is that WoW is very demanding on CPU. If your CPU is old or weak, no graphics card in the world will save you from having crap FPS in raids. With an Intel i5 CPU (overclock or not), you should see GTX 550 Ti finally working at its full extent in raids.

If you game at 1080p resolution, I would recommend replacing GTX 550 Ti with something more beefy like HD 7850.

6. Is this 80 Plus certified, with 2 6-pin PCI-E power plugs? If so, you can keep on using it. Otherwise, I recommend a 500W ~ 600W (depends on how powerful of a GPU you plan to get), 80 Plus Bronze certified. IE) PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W. Modular is a big plus too nowadays.

7. Corsair Vengeance RAM modules tend to come with tall heatsinks that may interfere with 3rd party CPU cooler fans. Performance-wise, they will be more or less the same.

8. HAF 912, but that's just me.

9. Samsung 830 is good, can't go wrong.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
I have definately spent some time digging through your guide, shortly AFTER posting. Based on some info I dug up there, as well as support I've received elsewhere (MMOChamp forums), I've updated my potential setup as follows. Note that I decided not to do any overclocking. This is my first build, so I want to stay basic. I DID decide, however, to go w/ the 3570K so that I can potentially toy w/ overclocking at a later time.

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570k - $230
HS: N/A
MoBo: ASRock Z77 Pro3/4 ATX LGA1155 - $100
GPU: 7870 - $260
RAM: G.SKILL Sniper DDR3 1600 8GHz – $40
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520W - $70
SSD: SAMSUNG 830 Series - $120
Case: Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel - $70
HDD: N/A (Have one)

Total: $890 = not bad

LAST questions, I hope:

1. Feedback on how this will handle 25man raiding, w/ high graphics, and addons pumping?

2. 7870 GPU, any suggestions as to Manufacturer? I can't find 2 people on the net who will agree in any single forum.

3. Any areas I aimed too high, or too low? Or are all the components on par w/ each other? (Keep in mind my choice to not overclock anything)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/19/2012 05:58 AMPosted by Kayko
There are cheaper HD 7870's.

Need some serious advice here, alot of the specifications for GPUs are hieroglyphics to me. Most of them seem to be in the $250 area... I see alot of support for Gigabyte. Feedback?
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Paladin
ASRock Z77 Extreme3 supports proper SLi / XFire, and only costs $10 or so more over Pro3/4. I would recommend taking it even if you won't SLi/XFire anyway.

You will need a third party CPU cooler (like CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ EVO) if you want to OC.

Any major brand for HD 7870 will work, Gigabyte, MSI, ASUS, Sapphire, HIS, etc.

Seasonic unit is nice, but it's not modular. However, that's up to you to decide.
I personally recommend modular unit though, IE) PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK III 500W / 600W.

This rig would handle anything you throw at it smoothly, with or without addons.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]