Open Libram XLVI: Divinin' Mah Purpose!

90 Blood Elf Paladin
"... But the will of a Templar is stronger! "
Your Templar's Verdict hits for 7k.
"Whaaa..?"
(Next time, on Open Libram...)*

Greetings and welcome to the 46th installment of the Open Libram! The beautifully large and sexy alternative to Mangle/Sentry Totem and Tank Lounge!

In these threads, we talk about everything Paladins. Some cool. Some lame. Some information dangerous. Got that question that you're kind of afraid to make a new thread about, or just tired of getting trolled on Trade Chat? Ask it here!

So Blood Elves, get your hair ready, Draenei and Tauren clean your hooves off. Dwarves, the nearest alcohol is to your left for your enjoyment and Humans...Well do whatever it is you do that keeps you alive. Or stuff.

Enjoy! Have fun everyone!

Previous Libram: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6572967704
Libram Archive: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4254457548

Paladin Social Networking:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/283670185033463/

My Little Ponydins by Lobster:
http://img839.imageshack.us/img839/7448/ponydins1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/s8CSF.png

"Maid" by the Light by Lobster: http://i.imgur.com/7zB4K.jpg

Vanilla Ret Pally "Melgibsmash":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6zGEBhJMHA

----------------

Wanted to do something creative for Arth since I ninja-capped the thread. Also, on another note:

http://www.gunnars.com/shop/Prescription-Eyewear

I'm sorely, sorely tempted to buy one of these, just because my eyes are really !@#$ty and I spend more time on this forum and game (in that order) than is healthy. :D

*Martana, I was gonna use "The Will of a Templar's.. Verdict", but I'd have had to use that OL abbreviation that everyone seems to hate here. <_< >_> Next time!

This intro skit brought to you by the letter Resilience, and Paladin forum posters like you!
Edited by Jackishi on 9/18/2012 2:07 PM PDT
100 Draenei Paladin
09/18/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Jackishi
Your Templar's Verdict hits for 7k.

(╯ಠ益ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/18/2012 02:07 PMPosted by Jackishi

What exactly are these supposed to do to justify such a price tag?
100 Blood Elf Paladin
They're just computer glasses, they give less eye strain.

My normal glasses cost that much. :P
90 Blood Elf Paladin
So I perused General for a bit since I was feeling a little lazy and...man. People going back and forth about how Theramore was the crappiest pre-launch event ever and how Mists is probably going to be even crappier. As a world event, yeah, it was underwhelming, but it was meant to be more of a taste of scenarios then anything else, they even mention it as such.

Ah well, just means more whiners "jumping ship" and then actually not jumping ship. /yawn

Edit:
09/18/2012 02:24 PMPosted by Elidra

What exactly are these supposed to do to justify such a price tag?

Oh, they're supposed to help out a lot with the DEADLY UV RAYS BOMBARDING YOUR EYES from prolonged use of the computer. I tried a non-prescription one that my cousin had, and they do feel really nice. I'd like to get a pair of rX ones so I don't have to wear my contacts all the time. Supposedly the prescription ones are great for going outside, too.

Might be telling that I'm a fan of the "animu" style frames. <_<
Edited by Jackishi on 9/18/2012 2:30 PM PDT
100 Human Paladin
I approve of Caden's maid picture becoming a staple of this thread.
91 Blood Elf Paladin
So I perused General for a bit since I was feeling a little lazy and...man. People going back and forth about how Theramore was the crappiest pre-launch event ever and how Mists is probably going to be even crappier. As a world event, yeah, it was underwhelming, but it was meant to be more of a taste of scenarios then anything else, they even mention it as such.

Ah well, just means more whiners "jumping ship" and then actually not jumping ship. /yawn

Well, I agree that it's a crappy pre-launch event. Imagine if Cata didn't have the Elemental War, we didn't have Ruby Sanctum setting the expansion up, and there was no retaking Echo Isles/Gomer. Instead, we just got ONE WEEK of ONE of the four elemental raid bosses couched as a scenario. Or, alternatively, ONE WEEK of the retaking of Echo Isles/Gnomer. And then everyone can read "The Shattering" to figure out why Org/SW look different the next day.

That's basically what happened here. Unless in 3-5 days they're going to do SOMETHING ELSE, this "launch event" has been a total wash.

Basically, Echo Isles/Gnomer WAS a scenario, just an open world one (which was, IMO, more fun and better.)

On the Horde side, you don't even get the sense of a war starting - we basically won. And there's no quests following up the scenario to explain what just happened or where you go to Garrosh to report success and he talks about playing everyone (even you) for a fool, no hurried Goblin messenger bringing him a report of how Varian has declared war that Garrosh then backhands so hard he goes flying out of the chambers with a "LET THEM COME!"

...basically nothing. The scenario is more or less completely separate from the world and doesn't even feel like a big war effort (not like the intro to Twilight Highlands or the Battle for Undercity or the retaking of Echo Isles did.) So it doesn't even change the "feel" of the game or introduce the specter of war to Horde players.

Maybe it does more for Alliance? But other than them being upset over Theramoore being destroyed, it seems to have done nothing else for them, either.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/18/2012 02:38 PMPosted by Arthinas
Imagine if Cata didn't have the Elemental War

I forgot about it already, it was terrible and boring. Didn't feel threatening or anything.
91 Blood Elf Paladin
09/18/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Elidra
Imagine if Cata didn't have the Elemental War

I forgot about it already, it was terrible and boring. Didn't feel threatening or anything.

Do you remember Echo Isles/Gnomer?
How about Ruby Sanctum?
Garrosh taking over the Horde?

Any of those things ring bells?

Cata's launch was very much determined ahead of time, and they were working towards it as far back as the Ruby Sanctum (even if you consider it an afterthought.)

They added EI/Gnomer to the mix as well, and then the Elemental Invasion hit, and they already were building the Garrosh Warchief model (Horde side, he took over giving the RFC quests in Thrall's stead, and they had dialogue IN GAME in the hold discussing Thrall's plans to abdicate temporarily.)

What do we have for Mists?

Well, Horde side, nothing. We went and then an airship we didn't even know about dropped a bomb on an Alliance town that we tend to think of as the Alliance Stonard (it is actually a major city, but until I made an Alliance character a couple weeks ago and went there for the first time, I didn't know that.) We didn't even get a post-scenario quest/cutscene of Garrosh proclaiming that war had begun! Far as the Horde players know, this is just business as usual.

Alliance got a little more - a pissed off Jaina that then decides it's really no big deal and she's going Neutral to head up the Kirin Tor.

This is an expansion launch? o.O
100 Human Paladin
i don't care about the pre-launch event. i very seldom do. having done some things in the beta, i am mostly interested in the actual expansion and all the good stuff that's in it. i'm not going to get all twisted up because the scenario wasn't ground-shattering and full of quest-text lore to read.

it would get in the way of killing hordies anyway.
100 Human Paladin
Elemental invasions? Meh
Ruby Sanctum? Meh
Echo/Gnomer? Ok Gnomer was fun at least
Garrosh? I play Alliance, you know how that goes

Lets compare other pre expansion events.

Scourge Invasion? Grieffest, farm fest, meh
Frostdrakes in the cities? Was alright, not much to it

Dark portal? Meh

The pre expansion events with the exception of maybe...2 individual events, were mostly lackluster
100 Blood Elf Paladin
The invasion events felt like serious events because they were massively disruptive. People want a pre-expansion event to feel memorable.

Still can't solo northrend beasts. :|
Edited by Cayse on 9/18/2012 3:01 PM PDT
91 Blood Elf Paladin
I actually liked them all.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't dislike this scenario (though the first part kind of drags on. Maybe if we only needed to blow up one or two ships, and they were CLOSER TOGETHER!!), I just think it should have been part of a larger event.

I like pre-launch events. They set the stage for the next expansion. The Scourge Invasion was cool - the zombie bit was probably a BIT more annoying than necessary, but it wasn't bad (people complaining about it were mostly being idiots, though leveling people should have been given some leeway. Could have been fixed easy by just making non-PvP flagged people immune.) It was cool them attacking all over the place, attacking different zones, and going to Shat and flying to escape griefing Zombies (and taunting them from the air) was amusing as well. So were the quirks (like how if you became a zombie, went to the other faction's town, made their vendors zombies, then you could buy stuff from the other faction like pets. XD)

The Cata one was neat because there was so much going on. You had the four elemental bosses, you had two cities to defend, you had the EI/Gnomer events - there was just a lot going on if you were interested in doing it. There was also a lot leading up to it - in addition to Ruby Sanctum, there were the rifts up in Northrend.

The idea is that the pre-launch event sets the stage.

This one COULD HAVE if they had done just a little more with it. A short questline to talk to Garrosh/Varian after the Scenario that had them declaring war would have been SOMETHING, at least. I mean, the "WAAAAAAAAAAOOOOOAAAARRRRR!!!" bit, said in dramatic fashion, is always good in fiction.

Hell, the 4.1 patch had more fanfare with the Stranglethorn questline than this, and THIS is an EXPANSION.

You'd have a point about the expansion being what matters...except it hasn't hit yet.
90 Draenei Paladin
Serious question. What's the purpose of the dragonflights now that their ultimate purpose has been served? Reviews of ToW say that the point of them still being around is explored throughout the book, but...yeah, I really just don't want to have to read an entire book to understand the in-game lore.

I can't find all of the stuff I really want to know about Jaina and the Horde leaders online.
Edited by Svayne on 9/18/2012 3:05 PM PDT
100 Human Paladin
They dont have one? They're just dragons, they do as the please.
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Wait, they still have a purpose?

I thought after DS they were basically fulfilled and became mortal or something.

Also: Reading the archive, it seems we missed OL 42. Like...completely. We went from XL+1 (41) to XLIII (43).
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Wait, they still have a purpose?

I thought after DS they were basically fulfilled and became mortal or something.

Also: Reading the archive, it seems we missed OL 42. Like...completely. We went from XL+1 (41) to XLIII (43).

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413265058

Also, the Dragonflights are basically in the same straits we are. They still have most of their powers, but they don't have complete dominion over what was once theirs (Life, Time, Magic, etc.). That being said, they're just looking for a purpose in the world now, same as the mortal races.

Also, I have to leave real quick, but Arth, I read your posts, and I agree on nearly every single point. Explaining why later. :P
Edited by Jackishi on 9/18/2012 3:13 PM PDT
91 Blood Elf Paladin
Updated Archive adding it, as well.
90 Blood Elf Paladin
im losing the will to level, northrend i hate it

its going quick, but i dont think i can brave the harsh snows of northrend any more, the lich king was terrifying not for his power, or his ability to raise your dead loved ones to turn their swords against you NO

NOT EVEN CLOSE

his ultimate power was the horrificly boring quests killing more characters than he ever did himself
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]