FPS dropping to 2-3

100 Night Elf Mage
There might be other threads similar to this, but my fps have been randomly dropping to 2-3 fps and during this time is pretty much a slideshow, when I move its choppy and its pretty hard to tell whats going on! My ms never really changes, stays about 69 for both home and world, so not sure whats happening. This literally makes it almost impossible to do anything! I mean if it happens on a raid boss i just lag through it and hope when it comes out of it I'm still alive >.< It also comes and goes, as in I can play one day for a few hours no problem and the next day it starts no more then 5 mins after longing on!

Of course, I've deleted or removed the WTF, Cache, etc... turned off or even removed all addons. All settings to low and still it does it, and also checked to make sure my computer was completely up to date as well. Even tried to unplug router and modem. I've checked my graphic card to make sure it was supported which it was, but i don't think that would cause lag rather would make the graphics all screwed up, still i checked to make sure! I know my computer is probably on the low end of what is recommended, but I should still be able to run it without too much trouble! I ran the Beta without this kind of problem!
Edited by Peroña on 9/18/2012 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Hey Peroña,

Can you post your system specs, so we know what you are running?

1. Launch World of Warcraft and log in.
    2. Put World of Warcraft into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i45.tinypic.com/foodww.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 32 days 16:05

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 4 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
SMC Version (system): 1.18f5
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT:

Chipset Model: GeForce 8600M GT
Type: GPU
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 256 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0407
Revision ID: 0x00a1
ROM Revision: 3175
Displays:
Color LCD:
Resolution: 1920 x 1200
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
VGA Display:
Resolution: 1280 x 768 @ 60 Hz
Rotation: Supported

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI

Well maybe its because the minimal OS is 10.7.3, sigh didn't realize that and I don't have the extra cash to upgrade, but the Beta was running fine on my Mac =/
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I'm having this problem too in recent days. I used to have fps in the 70-90 range. Now less than 30 and sometimes as low as 10.

Software:

System Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8 (10K549)
Kernel Version: Darwin 10.8.0
64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No
Time since boot: 1 day21:20

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac11,3
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.8 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 8 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Processor Interconnect Speed: 4.8 GT/s
Boot ROM Version: IM112.0057.B00
SMC Version (system): 1.59f2

Graphics/Displays:

ATI Radeon HD 5750:

Chipset Model: ATI Radeon HD 5750
PCIe Lane Width: x16
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x68a1
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-B9710C-238
EFI Driver Version: 01.00.417
Displays:
iMac:
Resolution: 2560 x 1440
Connection Type: DisplayPort
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1440 x 900 @ 75 Hz
Display Serial Number: H9FQ505425
Adapter Type: Mini DisplayPort To VGA Adapter
Adapter Firmware Version: 1.03

Other:

Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Here is some troubleshooting tips that may help.

Have y'all removed all temp files and rebuild the game caches? This is different than removing the WTF, Interface and WTF folders. Make sure you follow all these instructions listed, or it will not rebuild the caches.

1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft
    2. Move the WTF, Cache and Interface folders to the desktop
    3. Now go into the Data folder and delete the Cache folder
    4. Navigate to /Users/Shared and delete the Battle.net folder
    5. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher. Let all updates apply and hit Play when Game is up to date is displayed.

It is recommended to upgrade to 10.8 or 10.7 soon, as these are the official supported OS for Mists, and they have newer drivers to help performance.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Well I've done that to =/ I have literally done everything that I can think of that has helped fix things in the past short of reinstalling the game! Ok well if nothing changes I guess as soon as I have extra money Ill have to update my OS
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
How does it perform when you do not have the secondary display connected Peroña?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
hmmm.....not sure! I can try, but really don't think I had any problems in the past! I haven't had it plugged in for a while, only just plugged it back in a few days before the patch! Far as I know it worked fine, but let me try it without it and see how it works out!
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Well seems like this might have fixed the problem for now! Kind of weird never thought that would mess with my game!
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
You can try adding this line to your config.wtf file:

SET gxMonitor "0"

This will force WoW to use the internal display and blank (sleep) the external display. It may be possible to leave the monitor connected using this entry to the config.wtf file.

Make a backup of your config.wtf file first so you can restore current settings easily. If this line does not allow you to keep the display connected while playing WoW, you can easily revert to current settings by simply copying your backup config.wtf file to its normal location and replacing the modified file.

I thought I'd stick this here in the hopes that this lets you have the best of both worlds.

Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Never mind it was fine all last night then today it started to do it again =/
Reply Quote
43 Human Paladin
Here is some troubleshooting tips that may help.

Have y'all removed all temp files and rebuild the game caches? This is different than removing the WTF, Interface and WTF folders. Make sure you follow all these instructions listed, or it will not rebuild the caches.

1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft
    2. Move the WTF, Cache and Interface folders to the desktop
    3. Now go into the Data folder and delete the Cache folder
    4. Navigate to /Users/Shared and delete the Battle.net folder
    5. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher. Let all updates apply and hit Play when Game is up to date is displayed.

It is recommended to upgrade to 10.8 or 10.7 soon, as these are the official supported OS for Mists, and they have newer drivers to help performance.
I'd like to add that this worked wonders. Not only did it fix my fps issues, but it fixed addon errors when trying to switch talents and glyphs, DK runes not appearing, and alot of other stuff. Thanks!
Reply Quote
running on a Retina MBP, using an external display in 1080P resolutions:
Patch 5.0.4 = 74 FPS (high settings)
Patch 5.0.5 = 22 FPS (high settings)
Patch 5.0.5 = 77 FPS (low settings)

ran the steps above and no change...

Software:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C54)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 22:22

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort
SyncMaster:
Resolution: 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
Display Serial Number: HCKB201429

Other:

Edited by Icyhoof on 9/21/2012 4:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
i brought this to the apple discussions forum.. 10.8.2 was released relatively close to 5.0.5...

for ME, it was a 10.8.2 problem. I performed a SMC reset, and its back up to 70 fps on good.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/19665415
Edited by Icyhoof on 9/21/2012 5:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Machkan,

Your suggestions above did not fix the problem. I'm still getting low fps, the game freezing, etc.

So what now?
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
Yeah disconnected my Second monitor and for one day my game run like normal with a little bit of lag and some low fps in some areas then yesterday it started back up again =/ so I guess the second monitor wasn't the main cause!
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
iMac running 10.8.1

I've had situational FPS decreases that I haven't been able to resolve since the first patch, although was running 10.6.7 at the time. I am reading this forum every day looking for low FPS types of complaints and/or attempting Machkhan's fixes. Thank you for the suggestions Machkhan. I don't seem to see the problems I'm having relative to low fps situationally in any of the other forums, so I continue to search...

I have pretty much attempted all of Machkhans fixes, the good news is they haven't ever made things worse. I have reasonably good game play other than near the AH in Kel'Thuzad where I'll lose 15-16 fps (30 drops to 14), on battlegrounds when all of a sudden there are 6+ enemies (screen actually freezes for seconds at at time) and only turning on the normal or heroic Warmaster Blackhorn fight. (I can play relatively normal until I turn, just the screen does the freezing as above and inhibits game play.) I make a fix, and observe the results on each of these problem areas daily.

I am not getting gameplay that is acceptable to me. Possibly I'm being difficult as I can get in the game, be existent in it, however I choose to want to have the controls do what I'm asking them to do, and actually see them doing it. I am attempting as we speak the uninstall/reinstall specifically just to eliminate any other possible cause. I wrote this in order to thank you for the link Icyhoof, I'll attempt that once this long re-install download completes itself, and I'll report my findings before and after.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
Feel free to edit or delete as it is not a cure for everyone and we don't want to confuse people.

However, after the patch for 5.0.0 there were tons of issues logging in, launcher not recognizing my server, having to use work arounds, heavy lag and disconnects in raids, many of the reports on this entire forum were mine, with exception of hardware issues. However, in order to be assisted, there was always a request for hardware specs, and then work arounds given. Even though I didn't have the hardware issues, I used the work arounds which as I recall always involved deleting/trashing certain files and relaunching. I either saw improvement, or no beneficial affect.

Sadly, game play was still not acceptable after 3-4 weeks of this. I finally broke down and did every part of

https://us.battle.net/support/en/article/uninstall-reinstall-instructions-for-patching-issues

with the exceptions of deleting the battle.net files, add on files and log files, only because those weren't specifically asked to be deleted. However, to restate, "the work arounds involved deleting/trashing certain files.." and the uninstall process pretty much deletes/trashes them all.

Results: Very good fps increase during low fps fights. Make sure to launch the 64 bit client, when I did the first one, I actually had latency I hadn't seen yet, switched to the 64 bit, and normal latency. My character bodies and spell bars shows up after the load screen immediately, rather than the 25-30 seconds it took every day but today. And the fps issue is severely improved in fights that there were problems listed above. It isn't quite good enough, and still frustrating, but it is good enough to be useful to your raid or bg teams, as they probably won't notice the difference now.

Possibly Machkhan, as you suspect, there is something in the old data files that isn't playing nicely with the new programming, and maybe it's just better to remove all the old stuff, and let the new downloads play nice together.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Mage
well that might work, but I hate to redownload all of the game =/
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]