Not Convinced...

I am not convinced that Rhonin dies in the Fall of Theramore, my reasoning is that a Mana Bomb appears to be fairly powerful force, and in one of the descriptions that I read what happened in Theramore said that it was strong enough to tear a hole in reality. To me that he is presumed dead and more MIA, (Classic horror movie Cliche: If there is no body, they aren't dead). Now I am just a little troll that has not had the opportunity to read Tides of War, or run the Fall of Theramore, but I am skeptic about his death.

What I think has happened that he and everything that was caught in the blast were actually shunted to a different world, much like a localized version of the Dark Portal. I think this because when Draenor was being ripped apart similar tears were discribed as the world was torn apart, allowing both Alliance and Horde forces to escape to other places in the Nether.

Like I said, I have not seen these things first hand, and can admit when I am wrong, but based on the information I have now, this is my theory :D
Reply Quote
86 Troll Priest
the mana bomb destroys everything as it exists in that place in all timelines

he is dead
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
He was basically at ground zero of an arcane nuclear bomb. You do -not- survive those.
Reply Quote
If you read Tides of War it's pretty clear he could not of possibly survived. While the game doesn't show any remains (and it really should of to be honest), the book describes in great detail corpses that were levitated by arcane energy or would shatter into purple dust whenever touched. Finding the body of her new apprentice is actually what sends Jaina over the edge.

Rhonin very intentionally caused the mana bomb to basically hit him on the head because of how the arcane warding of the tower would minimize the mana bomb's blast radius (and save the Alliance forces who were scouting outside Theramore's walls, including his own wife). No one could of possibly survived that, at least not physically.
Reply Quote
85 Tauren Shaman

he is dead

Not canon.
That's someone's interpretation.
Reply Quote
Falrinn, thank you for the insight, this provides more information that I did not have, I appreciate it.

09/19/2012 08:21 AMPosted by Falrinn
No one could of possibly survived that, at least not physically.

Interesting point... this could open a whole new can of worms, and can comeback and bite us in the rear... Who knows...
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 08:59 AMPosted by Gyjin
Interesting point... this could open a whole new can of worms, and can comeback and bite us in the rear... Who knows...

While we can't totally rule out some sort of metaphysical survival, I ultimately think his heroic sacrifice should be a, well, sacrifice.

His character has never been particularly popular among the lore buffs, probably because he tended to show up in situations where he had no reason to be. The questionable quality of Knaak's writing didn't exactly help matters here.

I think Blizzard wanted to kill him off in part to firmly establish the Jaina Proudmoore as the most powerful mortal Mage.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior

he is dead

Not canon.

I've decided to interpret your sentence as agreeing that the mana bomb did indeed destroy "everything as it exists in that place in all timelines".
Reply Quote
86 Undead Death Knight
09/19/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Gyjin
Classic horror movie Cliche: If there is no body, they aren't dead)

I'm pretty sure being at ground zero of that would vaporize you which would not leave any remains.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
The book describes in great detail that Jaina sees Rhonin get vaporized by the mana bomb.
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
Maybe he Ice Blocked.
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Warrior
09/19/2012 07:08 AMPosted by Gyjin
(Classic horror movie Cliche: If there is no body, they aren't dead).
There is no body because he was vaporized. The book is very clear about this, as Jaina sees it happen through the portal she escaped through.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Death Knight
Can you imagine the outcry if he survived? I mean, he is supposedly the biggest Mary Sue in the Warcraft universe. . .
Reply Quote
But he didn't survive

Why do people keep contesting it?

In the book, Jaina clearly describes watching him get vaporized through the portal he pushes her through. He doesn't even have time to defend himself, just poof, he's gone

He died the same way the people at Nagasaki at ground zero died when the nuke hit. Pretty much everyone and everything within the primary damage zone was annihilated.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
He teleported at the exact instant the bomb went off, amplifying his teleport and sending him to another dimension, another game world. He's now part of the Starcraft universe.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid

he is dead

Not canon.

Someone's wonderful interpretation.

Now if only Velen somehow found a way to go and assist in the battle..
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
Jaina watched him get obliterated as she went through the portal. It's hard to dispute a description as clear as that.

Also, where's everyone getting this "destroyed in all timelines" interpretation? I don't recall it being put that way in the book (although if it is, let me know!), and it's an interesting interpretation, so I'm curious as to where it's coming from.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Priest
Jaina watched him get obliterated as she went through the portal. It's hard to dispute a description as clear as that.

Also, where's everyone getting this "destroyed in all timelines" interpretation? I don't recall it being put that way in the book (although if it is, let me know!), and it's an interesting interpretation, so I'm curious as to where it's coming from.

Its an interpretation that was made on the website Scrolls of Lore (lore spoilers are taken quite seriously there) based on the fact that tears in reality were made, and alternate realities could be seen through them. It gave the impression that those realities were affected the same way, and since you can't really 'decide' which realities are affected, it was said that all of them were affected. Its obvious its not the case now, of course. Unless Blizz makes this interpretation the right one.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Hunter
Guys guys guys... you're over looking the obvious here!

He's a mage! HE'S A WIZARD! He can just... make up some excuse as to why he lived. Cause you're a wizard harry!

OT: Pretty sure he's dead. It's like taking a nuke head on. And it explodes on you. I'm pretty sure it would kill him as others have already stated.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
But he didn't survive

Why do people keep contesting it?

People will always contest things, People always say so and so in a movie is still alive and here is how. This is no exception.

There is probably someone out there saying Kinndy is still alive (Awww....Im sad for her)

09/20/2012 09:01 AMPosted by Resileaf
Its an interpretation that was made on the website Scrolls of Lore (lore spoilers are taken quite seriously there) based on the fact that tears in reality were made, and alternate realities could be seen through them. It gave the impression that those realities were affected the same way, and since you can't really 'decide' which realities are affected, it was said that all of them were affected. Its obvious its not the case now, of course. Unless Blizz makes this interpretation the right one.

Pretty much this, They can see through the tears and from what I read what they see is not good. So many assumed that the tears were peering into Theramore in alternate time lines (Because magic and time and all that!)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]