New LFR loot system worse than old LFR loot

90 Blood Elf Paladin
I mostly agree with you OP, but even if I didn't, I would still commend you on a well-thought out post. It wasn't all mindless QQ like the usual.

Who says you have less chance to get loot?

Wasn't the old system - each boss drops about 4 pieces of loot amongst 25 raid members meaning you had a 1 in 8 chance of winning something?

And isn't the new system - on each boss you have a 15% chance of winning something (i.e. approx 1 in 8)?

Cheers.

While you're right, the chance to win loot SHOULD be higher, I won more useful loot before the change than I have after. Almost every single piece I've won since the patch has been completely useless to me - either I have it already, I had better, or it wasn't even meant for my spec. But I took my DK in who just barely met the requirements for it, and got 3 upgrades on her. So for someone who isn't geared LFR is probably great, but for those of us still looking for a few upgrades, we're unlikely to get them.

09/19/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Zorell
LFR is lame and will not be run for more than the first week or two by actual raiders. So whats the problem? Casuals now have a chance at getting gear and don't have to fight off ninja's. Seems like its working as intended.

I will be an "actual raider" in Mists and I'll still run LFR weekly. It's more chances to get better gear, so why wouldn't I go?

I don't do mindless QQ. :) As for your quandary, I've had the same experience on both my paladin and warrior. Got a tier chest token on the pally and Bone Link Fetish on my warrior, both of which I already have. But no luck on the healer shield for my pally (made me wonder if that's why they stuck a 384 shield in the scenario loot table, :) ) or on the tier leg token for my warrior. Why not let me save the winning roll for those pieces that I won and already had and instead let me use it to win something I can use? Oh well.

Anyone know if blizz is going to make the LFR tier gear available for JP once Mists hits? I'd actually like to pick it up for transmog on my warrior.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
09/19/2012 09:12 AMPosted by Vytautas
The new system doesn't seem to give a reasonable chance for loot. Yes, it cuts down on people rolling need on loot that they don't need. Yes, it reduces arguments and harassment when someone else in the RF group wins something you need/want. But it doesn't provide any incentive to run RF in search of gear upgrades.

Players broke the old system.

They rolled on stuff they already had, and relentlessly pestered people to trade gear they didn't.

Now, you have a 1 in 8 chance to get something. Perhaps they should have added more fluff and puzzle pieces into the loot bags.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/19/2012 10:36 AMPosted by Muddydub
The new system doesn't seem to give a reasonable chance for loot. Yes, it cuts down on people rolling need on loot that they don't need. Yes, it reduces arguments and harassment when someone else in the RF group wins something you need/want. But it doesn't provide any incentive to run RF in search of gear upgrades.

Players broke the old system.

They rolled on stuff they already had, and relentlessly pestered people to trade gear they didn't.

Now, you have a 1 in 8 chance to get something. Perhaps they should have added more fluff and puzzle pieces into the loot bags.

Totally agree, players broke it. I actually don't mind the concept behind the new system, just think it could use some tweaking.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
LFR Doesn't Drop Loot

I haven't won a single piece of loot since 5.0. And since all I see is the bags of gold LFR has given me the illusion that no gear drops from it even though others might be winning gear. Even though it's only an illusion that LFR doesn't drop loot it's very real for me. In 4 LFR runs I have won nothing but gold which wasn't enough to pay for the wipe repairs.

I don't hate RNG; I don't hate the LFR group I'm in; I hate LFR.
Edited by Lustan on 9/19/2012 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
09/19/2012 09:27 AMPosted by Vytautas
Valid point. Being a statistician, I can appreciate the probability aspect. My personal observations are essentially qualitative based on my experience running lfr both before and after the loot system change.

Honestly, this has only been out for what, like 2-3 weeks tops, how on earth do you see that a valid sample size. These anecdotal complaints based on like 2 runs are ridiculous!

Plus, in MOP you can get better gear from heroics, this is a moot point.

Stop whining. Please.
Reply Quote
When you run LFR as a guild, you should be able to have more control over assigning loot to people.I got used to bringing a friend and having us roll on stuff for each other.

That's what normal runs are for, run with your guild and you can give loot to whomever you wish.

Rolling for friends was never the way blizzards loot system was intended. They added the trade feature to cut down on tickets due to people accidently giving loot to wrong raid member, etc.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/19/2012 10:40 AMPosted by Lifenite
How about all the people who have a problem with the new loot system man up and admit that you want a easy loot machine? If you did that in the first place rather than claiming the lie of wanting to see content you would have gotten what you wanted in the first place. I can't wait until the complains start about the next LFR to open in MOP. Where it will drop gear a whole tier lower than the current progression. By that time people will forget what started LFR in the first place and the shouting will be that LFR was invented by the Dev's to keep the casual man down. Dev's are evil like that.

I don't want an easy loot machine. I'll be the first to admit that LFR is not the same difficulty as normal/heroic and shouldn't be rewarded with equivalent gear. I have no problem with that whatsoever. However, the devs have put it in place as an alternative for those of us that are deemed 'casuals' and 'bads' (whether true or not) or who aren't in raiding guilds to raid and have a chance at getting loot. There are players like me who run LFR every week for the content, fun and chance to upgrade our gear.

RNG still has to play its role, and there's always going to be that one piece that you can never seem to obtain. But there's nothing wrong with suggesting potential improvements to the system.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Who says you have less chance to get loot?

Wasn't the old system - each boss drops about 4 pieces of loot amongst 25 raid members meaning you had a 1 in 8 chance of winning something?

And isn't the new system - on each boss you have a 15% chance of winning something (i.e. approx 1 in 8)?

Cheers.

but now you have another issue. Everyone who wins a bag has a chance for just getting gold and that chance is way too high.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/19/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Azivalla
RNG is RNG and will forever be RNG. If you are seriously complaining that you don't get loot, you aren't cut out for raiding.

Yeah what he said. You're not going to get great drop rates in LFR. You don't get them when normal raiding, either. I came into WoW late, right before Dragon Soul was released, so T13 was my first raiding tier. I figured that it'd be easy to gear up once I found a raiding guild. After all, since I had gotten into the game so late, almost everyone in my guild would have been geared, and I'd have a free for all on the drops.

Well....it's not easy. On this character, I killed 44 DS bosses and won 4 pieces of loot - less than 10%. I have another character who's killed 24 bosses and has won a single item. Talking to veteran raiders I realized that this kind of droprate, although exacerbated in DS, was fairly common and "the way it is." Personally I feel that drop rates should be improved, but that's a separate argument and not a fault of LFR.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I would honestly feel that this new LFR loot system was improved, if it didn't hand out items or tier pieces that are already on your character. To me that's a waste, I could have given them to someone else that needed it but instead I could only vendor them.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Mage
It's not so bad once you start getting 3 charms a week to spend on extra rolls. Plus people will be running LFR anyways for Legendary pieces.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/19/2012 11:03 AMPosted by Kazbrenzul
It's not so bad once you start getting 3 charms a week to spend on extra rolls. Plus people will be running LFR anyways for Legendary pieces.

Hopefully the charms will help. As for the Legendary pieces, I see huge potential for a disaster if that's not handled right.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
I don't think I won anything with the old loot system for the first month or so when it was out. Its all about RNG. Seems like you have a better shot at getting loot now and there's more gold... which is better anyway. Just farm the badge gear if you really want loot, there's enough pieces for all slots for you to be able to get into raids.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
At least you're seeing the content!
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/19/2012 11:18 AMPosted by Nixx
At least you're seeing the content!

Must....resist....urge....to....throw....poo :)
No complaints on access to content from me, a lore junkie at heart.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
I have 6 toons with which I could run LFR.

After the patch dropped, I ran them all, part 1 and 2, mostly to test out the 'tree' changes. My shammy did part 2 at least 6 times, just testing out different different spec choices. Some of my toons could use stuff from lfr, others, not-so-much. This toon never runs lfr other than to test/practice. I have yet to get a single piece I could use on any toon, since the patch.

On my shammy, it made me feel bad when I won a piece and it had a red line through it. Because I had already run lfr, 1 of the 4 pieces for the given boss went to someone that couldn't even loot it. That's just wrong imo.

It seems to me that the chance of getting an actually usable piece is greatly reduced. Maybe the restriction on running once a week should be removed.

(quick story: I was a fresh 85 on my horde pally and just met the ilvl to get in to lfr. I got in a group with TWO bear tanks and one other already op plate wearer - I came out with like 6 pieces - even tank gear)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]