Enjoying Guild Wars 2, but.. WoW? [long read]

90 Night Elf Druid
Hey fellas,

Before I begin, allow me to emphasize that I'm not creating this thread to talk about how much better Guild Wars 2 or WoW is better than the other. I enjoy both games very much, but more or less in a dilemma where I'm seeking opinions.

Right now with Guild Wars 2, I am thoroughly enjoying myself. I am still leveling, almost level 80 though (highest level for those of you who don't know). I played tons of WvWvW during the betas, so this time I'm "questing" if you may and taking my time. When I do reach the highest level, I look forward to joining a strong WPvP Guild, and participate in the battleground tournaments with fellow Guild Members and/or well played individuals. My focus in any MMO has always been to thrive in PvP—with little interest for PvE.

Now that little back story is out of the way, the expansion for World of Warcraft as we all know is around the corner. I have friends who are talking about midnight release get together, and although I'm optimistic for them; I'm have difficulties feeling motivated to actually get the expansion. To top that off, my annual contract is coming to an end in October.

The two class/specs I enjoy most strife to find a spot within the other classes. Of course that's this Feral Druid and Rogue. Granted I didn't focus on this Druid for the majority of this expansion, now that Feral's have their shape shifting back; I eagerly await to achieve Gladiator once again—if they actually have a chance.

I have very little interest in the Pandas, but the pet battles look kinda good to pass the time. I'm not sure what's up with the new battlegrounds, and I feel once again when I hit the highest level getting all the necessary gear for Arena for example; there would be little motivation to log on unless I'm messaged on Skype to do arena.

With the fact I'm not looking forward to grinding honor again, I keep asking myself where I can muster up more motivation to actually play World of Warcraft anymore. As much as I want to play Guild Wars 2, and WoW full time; my real life schedule doesn't allow that. However, don't think I'm against playing both. With the lack of competitiveness for arena partners though, going through the grind to keep up with everyone else, I'm curious if it's really worth it.

Of course one may say that I can simply join World of Warcraft when I feel it's right for me again, but I'd be even more discouraged the fact I'll be behind everyone else, and start having to farm for gear while everyone is already competing—leaving me with unreliable teammates. It sounds heartless, yes.

Anyway, I feel like I've bickered enough as it is, and if you read through this; you deserve some kind of reward. The point was the share my dilemma the best I can with your understanding which leads me to seek for you opinion(s).

• If you're getting the expansion, was there anything in particular that really grabbed your attention?
  • Is Guild Wars 2 the game you're choosing to stick with for now, why/why not?
  • If you were to convince me to play WoW again, do you think there is anything I overlooked?
  • If you have anything else you wish to add I didn't ask, don't feel shy.

Thank you very much for reading, and it is extremely appreciated if you reply as well.

I hope you have a wonderful night in the meantime,

~ Yujiza Jacooza
Edited by Yujizâ on 9/19/2012 7:58 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
If you're getting the expansion, was there anything in particular that really grabbed your attention?
Is Guild Wars 2 the game you're choosing to stick with for now, why/why not?
If you were to convince me to play WoW again, do you think there is anything I overlooked?
If you have anything else you wish to add I didn't ask, don't feel shy.

1. pet battles. all of the rest is just the same

2. i will be playing both games my best friend play wow and once i convince them to start playing guild wars 2 then gw2 will be the game. (i only play wow because of my friends)

3. if you like playing with friends/guildies then keep on playing but if you have none then i say no.

4. hows word doing in wvwv (mine atm has 300k pts >.>)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
If you're getting the expansion, was there anything in particular that really grabbed your attention?
If you were to convince me to play WoW again, do you think there is anything I overlooked?

1. pet battles. all of the rest is just the same

2. i will be playing both games my best friend play wow and once i convince them to start playing guild wars 2 then gw2 will be the game. (i only play wow because of my friends)

3. if you like playing with friends/guildies then keep on playing but if you have none then i say no.

4. hows word doing in wvwv (mine atm has 300k pts >.>)

Thanks for the reply man!

My WvWvW is doing great; Henge of Denravi is the server name.

To date, we never lost.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
I have one thing to say and SCREW YOU HENGE OF DENRAVI!

But seriously thats like the only world that beats the one I am on lol.

1. Eh like Blueouts said, pet battles could be nice but I enjoy playing wow, so getting more raids sounds great to me since I mainly PVE.

2. I am playing gw2 at the same time, I typically devote about a day/night or 2 to each game.

3. Once again blueouts said it pretty well. If all of my friends stopped playing wow, then I would probably quit. I love raiding but I love playing with my friends more.

4. Just my own comment, I enjoyed reading this. I was pleasently surprised when I found it had pretty much no bitterness or animosity to either game or those who play them. So thank you :D.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Death Knight
If you need to ask others for motivation, that in itself is telling. It my just be time to move on. It's hard to stay interested in a game after 7 years. For the last 6 months I pretty much only log into WoW on raid nights, and do almost nothing else. If I wasn't in a good guild that I enjoy raiding with, I would have walked away from WoW long ago and never looked back.

Having said that, I am looking forward to the x-pack quite a bit. New content is new, and it will be interesting to see if the devs live up to their promise of keeping people engaged with new content vectors and not just relying on end-game raids.

My last note: If all else was equal (i.e. no social ties to either game, or history with the game) and I had to pick between the two, it would be GW2 hands down.
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Warlock
I use love playing WoW a lot but after burning crusade the fun factor for WoW started decreasing for me. I can say like everyone else I play because my friends and fams play.

I'm hardcore pvp player and I think the only main reason why I started to dislike WoW even more is because of the constant nerfs to classes due to pvp which kind of screws up your gameplay when you're doing pve stuff except raiding.

For instance Dragon Roar use to stun for 5 seconds but due to pvp it got reduce down to 0.5 seconds. I didn't mind they nerf the damage, but when they start screwing around with the talents performance. It screws up my style like I only mainly use Dragon Roar when I am surrounded by enemies because that's what it was made for *group control*.

Another thing that made WoW less fun is that you couldn't customize your spec anymore and mostly if you wanted to pvp you'll have to choose the most dominant cookie cutter spec to be viable in pvp.

I know WoW is an old game, but you would think some of the graphics on this game would of improved by now if they took the time. If anything I get from WoW is that they do a lot of copy and paste to the game. You can tell they did not put too much effort into improving the game at all on some stuff.

*My worgen should be the alpha model right now than some werewolf cartoon diva with patty and selma voice based off of simpson.*
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
I actually just bought gw2 and about to try it out i used to raid a lot in wow still do somewhat pvp when im bored and farm for endless hours but i want something new with the same fast paced combat how does gw2 handle that? and the loot system seems so much more interesting not this bickering over 1 item off one boss.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
12/16/2012 10:53 AMPosted by Îgnition
I actually just bought gw2 and about to try it out i used to raid a lot in wow still do somewhat pvp when im bored and farm for endless hours but i want something new with the same fast paced combat how does gw2 handle that? and the loot system seems so much more interesting not this bickering over 1 item off one boss.

You should have made a new post instead of necroing that one.

Anyway, Guild Wars 2's combat feels like WoW's at first, but it's a little different: it's more fast-paced than WoW, and you can dodge out of incoming attacks instead of eating them and healing afterwards. In fact, it feels like an evolution of WoW's battle system, but then it departs from WoW by having strong restrictions on the skills you can put in your slots. Skills 1 to 5 are specific to the weapon you have equipped and if you want to change them you have to change your weapon; skill 6 is a heal of your choice; skill 10 is a high cooldown super power of your choice; skills 7 to 9 are various utility skills. Depending on your class, you'll also have F1 to F4 special skills. (Warriors have an adrenaline bar which is a sort of "Limit Break", Elementalists can swap elemental attunement, etc.)

And yeah, loot drama was pretty much erradicated from the game. If you and me kill a mob, we can both loot the mob; we'll get our own loot independently of each other. We'll also get 100% XP, and I won't know what you looted unless you tell me. (Even if we're in a party.) What it means is that if I see you running away at half health with a huge elite up your behind, the game would reward me with a chance to loot if I decided to help you. This might sound like a minor difference, but it's a big change because encouraging players to help each other completely changes how you view other players. In WoW, you have situations where you need to kill X mobs but when you come in the area you see a bunch of player AoEing stuff tagging as many mobs as possible when they see you so that you don't "steal" their mobs, and you have to wait for respawns. In GW2 you'd just jump in the fight and help out: as long as you do a reasonable percentage of damage on the mob, you'll get 100% XP and rewards and you'll both be done earlier. (Note that WoW has removed mob tagging on quest mobs and many elites, so it's not like WoW hasn't improved on that issue.)

For all the pros of GW2 though, there is one thing it doesn't do well and it's group PvE. They wanted to remove the tank/healer/DPS "trinity" which is fine and all, but they didn't really replace it by anything so their dungeons are about random aggro, getting 1-shot if you don't dodge X, Y or Z (or if you lag spike...), not as much teamwork, etc. It also means that if you're like me and prefer defense over offense, you're pretty much screwed because you can't be a tank or a healer. (Or at least not real ones.)

Also, it wasn't in your question but there are quite a bit of "unofficial" servers out there. For example, if you like RP servers you want to roll your characters on the Tarnished Coast server.
Edited by Sarianne on 12/17/2012 1:30 AM PST
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]