New rogue skills

80 Human Mage
While I was leveling my rogue I had a couple interesting ideas for new skills.

Poison vials that could either be thrown for either aoe damage, doing damage over time to whoever stands in it or has various affects such as throw back or slow down. The poison vials that could also work like traps, if walked on or hit would break and create some sort of effect.

The other idea was because I miss track humanoid from my hunter and druid, its a really useful skill especially when stealthed to give you an opportunity. Since two classes already have it however it may not be interesting or 'unique' to give rogues just the 'Track Humanoid(s)' skill so I figured something that works like thermal vision. You would see shadows or red outlines of players (non-stealthed or non-invis) coming towards you. Of course it would have a definite range.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
The poison vial idea has been around for awhile.

To be honest, I think it would be awesome if we got some kind of tracking method, and even cooler if instead of seeing the character on the minimap, we actually saw the path the player was taking within 100 yards or something. Seems more like tracking.
Reply Quote
80 Human Mage
Sorry in advance if I posted this in the wrong area, I am a complete noob to forum posting.
Reply Quote
80 Human Mage
Problem with the paths is that when there are a lot of players like AV it would be a pretty big mess. Thats why i think thermal type vision would be cool easy to see what's coming without it being overly overpowered if it doesnt track stealth and invis.

Not to mention it would fit well with the assassination tree to be able to see the warmth of the blood of the enemy.
Edited by Bàiley on 9/15/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
80 Human Mage
Poison vials could be something like

Chocking Gas Vial - Chance to interrupt players standing in the area of effect.

Unstable Poison Vial - Throws a vial of poison that knocks back nearby enemies.

Bubbling Poison Vial - Enemies standing the area of effect are tossed around for 3 seconds

Nerve Poison Vial - Does # damage to players in the cloud of poison, more damage is dealt to enemies who have stood in the poison longer.

Things like that.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Sounds interesting
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
It would certainly add to the utility of rogues without making them feel like they're restrained to all their cooldowns.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
Fun Idea:

Bribe
Reagent: 1 Copper (Mostly for Flavor, I actually would not like this just because I can imagine a glitch where it uses 1,000g by accident)
Melee Range.
The Rogue pays the target off, making sure they will not assist allies when they are attacked. Lasts 1 min, 8 seconds in PVP.

Basically it would be like an in combat Sap. It would make the target neutral and they would only attack when attacked. In pvp it would make them a friendly target and any bouncing heals would affect them as well as any buffs and the like, any player right clicking on them would remove it.

.... I just want an in combat CC that isn't on a 3 min CD (Blind) The pvp use of this could be bad but....Still would be fun.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Rogue
I think it would work better if we had a poison vial ability that reacts with the poisons we have currently equipped.

For instance, Wound poison would put a stacking debuff on the target that absorbed incoming heals, deadly would put a similar to living bomb like debuff that would cause damage overtime with a large chunk of damage at the end (also damaging all nearby enemies).

Then in addition to the damage component the non-lethal poisons would also change the effect, for instance leeching poison would make it so a % of the damage dealt by all targets in the area of effect healed the rogue, crippling would slow the target and lower the maximum run speed the target can move (so speed buffs wouldn't allow them to escape). Mind numbing would prevent all casting while in the aoe (similar to a silence) and paralytic would give a stacking slowing debuff that would snare the target when it reaches 5 stacks.
Reply Quote
100 Goblin Rogue
How about a Glyph of Decoy Prime, where you click in a direction you want your Decoy to run. It would be awesome to see a bunch of people chasing a decoy that pops CoS and is targetable but immune for 5 seconds then stops and laughs or dies.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Poison Vials should have been talents in a single tier. Either that or tie them to Shuriken Toss in some way. However, it has been my experience that cool stuff like this is never considered a good idea by Blizzard. I mean look at the Rogue talent tree, do any of those look like good ideas or required a lot of thought when making them?
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Yeah i like the lvl 15 and 60 talents but the rest not as much as the other classes. Brand new mechanics always need a lot of balancing so that may have been an issue but it should never prevent a new skill from coming into play.

Tracking itself though would probably not require balancing and still be very cool
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Rogue
Yeah i like the lvl 15 and 60 talents but the rest not as much as the other classes. Brand new mechanics always need a lot of balancing so that may have been an issue but it should never prevent a new skill from coming into play.

Tracking itself though would probably not require balancing and still be very cool

What new mechanics? Rogues got jack !@#$. We are exactly the same except our survivability, mobility, and sustained dps are way down (PvP.)
Reply Quote
34 Undead Rogue
How about a Glyph of Decoy Prime, where you click in a direction you want your Decoy to run. It would be awesome to see a bunch of people chasing a decoy that pops CoS and is targetable but immune for 5 seconds then stops and laughs or dies.

LOL best pvp skill ever!

PVE, that can be a taunting mechanism to save you
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Priest
Haha yeah that would be great if it used rogue abilities or taunts. Just runs using fan of knives for no damage or uses chicken or laugh emote.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Still a tracking mechanism would be amazing especially for battlegrounds.
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
Anyone else have an idea for poison vials idea?
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
A knockback idea could be great either through the poison vial ability or an ability called trip, it could be a sort of knock the player in the direction they're facing.

I think the idea of seeing shadows coming towards you as a rogue is as good as the thermal idea. It could be like frodo when he puts on the ring and sees the outline of people. (sorry for the nerdy reference but who hasn't seen that movie haha)
Reply Quote
90 Human Rogue
A fun move for damage mitigation would be for the rogue to have a move which allows it to either grab a nearby enemy or some sort of decoy and use it as a shield for a few seconds or until a certain amount of damage is reached.

Either that or maybe for it to work like a combination of shadow step and glyph of decoy, you step behind the mob while it continues to attack the decoy for a little bit. Since all classes are relatively close in DPS rogues arent the glass cannon they used to be or generally are in other games, which means we could definitely use utility to survive especially when going back to old raid.

Hybrids generally have good amounts of healing and/or damage mitigation, locks and hunters have pets and so on.
Reply Quote
100 Human Rogue
My first character in EQ, a druid, has tracking (so did rangers) and its a great tool. The minimap thing is neat, but being able to track someone down is a fantastic ability.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]