Trials of the High King UPDATE starts in 5.1

90 Human Warrior
A lot of these are very good questions, but as with so many tales, telling you too much now would risk spoiling what’s to come. You’ll just have to hang tight and experience the journey ahead firsthand as it happens.

I’d also humbly suggest that if you are curious about the storms that are brewing in Azeroth, you would do well to check out the new World of Warcraft novel, [url="http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/7080376/Jaina_Proudmoore_Tides_of_War_Novel_Now_on_Sale-8_30_2012"]Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War[/url]. The book delves into quite a number of prominent lore figures as they try to find their place during these uncertain and turbulent times.

Go go unnecessary product placement.

CONSPIRICY
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I was thinking about picking that up, but I wish they would put the lore in game.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/16/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Torgrum
I was thinking about picking that up, but I wish they would put the lore in game.

In all fairness how the heck would they show what the Fel is going on in Orgrimmar without rolling a Horde 85 and vice versa.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
09/16/2012 01:07 PMPosted by Lorthuron
CONSPIRICY

It wasn't a conspiracy, just unnecessary. Adding "And remember, buy our stuff" to a feedback response just came off as cheesy.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
A lot of these are very good questions, but as with so many tales, telling you too much now would risk spoiling what’s to come. You’ll just have to hang tight and experience the journey ahead firsthand as it happens.

I’d also humbly suggest that if you are curious about the storms that are brewing in Azeroth, you would do well to check out the new World of Warcraft novel, Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War. The book delves into quite a number of prominent lore figures as they try to find their place during these uncertain and turbulent times.

I've read the book. Still I certainly understand why people are ahem, apprehensive about Alliance lore especially with what happened in Cata. There isnt much of anything that is concrete about where the lore is going. At this point I think the unknown is breeding fear rather than anticipation, fear that it will be a horrible mess when all is said and done.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
I play both sides, I thought most people did as well.
Reply Quote
Confidence inspiring that post is not. At least a "Trials of the High King is still something we plan to do" would be of some relief. Now I'm getting the old nagging feeling of "too busy with Horde leaders, Alliance's will have to sit on the back burner".
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
09/16/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Torgrum

I don't, can't stand Horde questing. Even then why would we need to go Horde side just to experience lore and such. I'm sure they can do it.

Confidence inspiring that post is not. At least a "Trials of the High King is still something we plan to do" would be of some relief. Now I'm getting the old nagging feeling of "too busy with Horde leaders, Alliance's will have to sit on the back burner".

I'd rather not get Trials of the High King but only metaphorically instead of on lore sense.
Edited by Lorthuron on 9/16/2012 1:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Paladin
09/16/2012 01:13 PMPosted by Lorthuron

I don't, can't stand Horde questing. Even then why would we need to go Horde side just to experience lore and such. I'm sure they can do it.

I guess at that point it come down to choices. I like seeing the game from both sides.

As far as the book goes, I will pick it just so I can keep up with whats going on.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
09/16/2012 01:11 PMPosted by Katarn

A lot of us didn't want to follow Varian around as he made himself into High Warchief Chin of the Alliance. It doesn't fit with the lore of the faction he's supposed to be representing, and it certainly doesn't follow from what he's done with the member factions to have them pull a "I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome Varian is" out of nowhere.

The only thing humans have done for Draenei is have Velen babysit Anduin, Gnomes are Gnomes so no one cares about them until they need something detonated, and the Night Elves are busy losing their territory to the Horde because the human military is too busy banging on Baine's yard gate to bother helping in any noteworthy fashion.

About the only 2 that have any reason to show any real loyalty to Varian are the Dwarves and the Gilneans, and the Gilneans are only stuck with helping because Greymane lost his city to a bunch of zombies.
Edited by Bomdanil on 9/16/2012 1:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
09/16/2012 01:22 PMPosted by Bomdanil
It doesn't fit with the lore of the faction he's supposed to be representing

How is it any different from Anduin taking total control of the Alliance during WCII?
Reply Quote
85 Human Warlock
I’d also humbly suggest that if you are curious about the storms that are brewing in Azeroth, you would do well to check out the new World of Warcraft novel, Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War. The book delves into quite a number of prominent lore figures as they try to find their place during these uncertain and turbulent times.

I believe the OP wants to see something in-game, as the problem was quite prevalent in Cata where all the lore for Alliance was in books. Any chance these character development issues/questions will be answered in the world?
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Hunter
Blue post would be more reassuring if promises of Alliance story didn't seem to often result in "oh, we didn't have time for that, because we were making even more horde story".
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Warlock
09/16/2012 01:24 PMPosted by Gorkag
How is it any different from Anduin taking total control of the Alliance during WCII?

Anduin was a general in the military (think Patton). Having Varian declare himself High King of the Alliance would be on par with the US saying that all NATO member states are now territories of the United States.
Reply Quote
100 Orc Warrior
09/16/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Bomdanil
Anduin was a general in the military (think Patton).

For all we know that's also what the High King is. All members of the Alliance submit their armed forces to central leadership and nothing more.
Reply Quote
Except that Varian is already essentially the leader of the Alliance forces. The other leaders respect him. The title would really just be a formality at this point.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
09/16/2012 10:30 AMPosted by Adelaide
I hope never. The Alliance needs lore development, it doesn't need to be turned into the blue version of the horde.

I just want a story to connect to him just like the horde and thrall

(ingame story)
Edited by Ragnivald on 9/16/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
14 Night Elf Warrior
09/16/2012 01:38 PMPosted by Katarn
Except that Varian is already essentially the leader of the Alliance forces. The other leaders respect him. The title would really just be a formality at this point.

Respect does not mean that he commands their forces.
Reply Quote
91 Draenei Paladin
09/16/2012 12:46 PMPosted by Vaeflare

Bull. The devs will talk miles on end about horde story without a problem but are decidedly tight lipped when it comes to Alliance?

No. You don't know what you're doing and are trying to hold off on it to keep players playing. Try again.
Reply Quote
Blizzard Employee

Go go unnecessary product placement.

In my own opinion, it’s hardly “unnecessary product placement” since the novel directly delves into many of the issues brought up in this thread. It’s also really not my place to spoil the content of the novel for those that might be interested in reading it, and you never know who out there might be unaware of it or that it’s been released.

On a more personal note, I purchased the digital pre-order for it many months ago, and on one particularly late night, I received an email notification letting me know it was available to read. While I needed sleep (perhaps desperately), I actually ended up staying up and reading it straight through in one sitting. I truly enjoyed it, and I’ve continued to babble about it on my CM Twitter account for weeks now because I think it’s a fantastic lead-in to the upcoming pre-launch events and Mists of Pandaria. I don’t get a dime for suggesting that others might enjoy it. Just like when you get out from a great movie and want to tell your friends they should go see it because you just know they’ll really dig it, that’s the same way I feel about this book.

09/16/2012 01:08 PMPosted by Torgrum

Hopefully you’ll be pleased with some of the upcoming content we have shaping-up. The pre-launch events are definitely story-driven.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]