Warrior Tanking & Boring Rage Buildup

100 Night Elf Warrior
After finishing tanking Dragon Soul, I've noticed when I'm tanking a single target like Ultraxion, all I am doing is hitting shield slam and revenge. Once this is done, they're on cooldown and I'm just spamming devastate until I can do my next shield slam/revenge. The issue I have is that it seems like devastate doesn't do well for aggro generation because our paladin offtank seems to build aggro much faster and stronger than I do.

So I don't know if we can get some more variety in here and finding more buttons to push to build rage, because I don't want to be hitting thunder clap (for 20 rage) or heroic striking (for 30 rage). Yes, sometimes I get a free heroic strike, but only every so often. Feels kind of boring. Do paladins get more to push during this phase of, what I assume is, building holy power for mitigation?

Just feels a bit boring and lacking aggro generation. Unless I'm wrong. Feels like at the very least devastate needs more OOMPH! I want some more OOMPH! Give me some OOMPH!
Edited by Baxtorian on 9/21/2012 4:15 PM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Blood Elf Paladin
TC is free.

This pally isn't capped or maybe I'm assuming wrong, but it seems like they would be pretty vulnerable during the initial pull with 0 HP. Warriors on the other hand Shout before charge for 20 rage, and I glyphed Bull Rush, so Charge for 30 rage, and if you want hit enrage. You already have enough for a Barrier/Block.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
Thunder Clap might be free but its still a rage loss mathematical rage loss.
Reply Quote
39 Worgen Warlock
09/23/2012 03:56 PMPosted by Wooble

09/21/2012 04:15 PMPosted by Baxtorian
because I don't want to be hitting thunder clap (for 20 rage)
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Death Knight
Just feels a bit boring and lacking aggro generation. Unless I'm wrong.

You're wrong, Agro Generation post 500% nerfs, is NEVER an issue.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I'll go out on a limb and guess he meant lacking rage generation? O.o
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
I liked this better than cata where I only hit 15k MAX on ultra sure no heroic striking so I can mitigate more but that means we hit harder instead of lots of tiny weak hits and being less rage based makes it so I can use almost any move to start it seems more fun than clicking heroic strike no matter what with some other move
Edited by Taurowar on 9/23/2012 5:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Warrior
You're wrong, Agro Generation post 500% nerfs, is NEVER an issue.

He was referring to his aggro generation versus a prot paladin, not other people in his raid. A 500% increase for both = no difference between him and the person pulling aggro off him.

To Rijdot, Wooble is referring to the case where you use an ability that costs no rage but during the GCD you parry and revenge is now usable again. In some special cases, like the OP said, you could be better off sitting there waiting for revenge and shield slam. This should not be the case as it is extremely boring!

To OP: I definitely agree with you, I think some changes to warrior tanking needs to be made... Just what exactly I'm not sure but its rather dull atm in terms of gameplay depth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/23/2012 05:13 PMPosted by Lockeelol
In some special cases, like the OP said, you could be better off sitting there waiting for revenge and shield slam.

Using Devastate when SS and Rev are on cooldown is a rage gain. Even if it procs SnB when SS comes off cooldown, you still get more rage during the proc than you would without.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Warrior
09/23/2012 06:19 PMPosted by Judgesyou
In some special cases, like the OP said, you could be better off sitting there waiting for revenge and shield slam.

Using Devastate when SS and Rev are on cooldown is a rage gain. Even if it procs SnB when SS comes off cooldown, you still get more rage during the proc than you would without.

This is what I meant. Any open GCD not spent on Devastate is a rage loss. Not TCing could be an EH loss against bosses that deal mostly physical damage, but those are rare these days.
Reply Quote
95 Pandaren Warrior
09/24/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Wooble
This is what I meant. Any open GCD not spent on Devastate is a rage loss. Not TCing could be an EH loss against bosses that deal mostly physical damage, but those are rare these days.

what?
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Perhaps, but using it to keep Weakened Blows up when it's about to fall off is a mitigation gain.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
09/24/2012 03:46 PMPosted by Wooble

I think you may need to provide some reasoning here.

Because without it you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Holy crap...looked at Demos picture and the BAM PANDA!

Then I scroll down and so is Lowmaine!

I might go panda =P, depends on how nice belves look after model updates.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Warrior
Pro Warrior Tip:

To maximize rage generation, immediately after shield slamming, do a sunder.

Why? The sooner you get Shield and Sword proc after just using a shield slam CD, the more Rage you are generating per minute.

In other words, your rotation should look something like this for maximum rage generation:

Shield Slam > Devastate > Devastate/Revenge > Filler

I normally go with two devastates after shield slam - most of the time either one procs sword and board. Easy quick burst of rage that way.

The second devastate can be switched to revenge instead - this is a safer route as it guarantees rage and high threat, but you gain less rage. Use your best judgement.

The Filler should be any spell you need to cast: thunderclap for debuff, shout for rage, etc. If revenge is up, it is a great time to use just before your shield slam cd comes back.
Edited by Attickus on 9/27/2012 6:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Warrior
That's more rage if it procs, yeah, but on average, Revenge is more rage. Revenge is worth 15 rage while Devastate is worth 7.5 on average (30% chance for 25 rage).

Personally, I'm suddenly kinda concerned about the two correct choice talents in the warrior tree. Firstly, tier 4, where Dragon Roar is pretty bad for prot because it causes no threat (Although its single target damage is nicer than Shockwave) and Bladestorm locks you out of using your rage generators, meaning it's a bad choice too, so in that tree, you've basically just got Shockwave, while in the last tier, only Avatar has defensive benefit, so that's the right choice there.
-----
Combat tables, diminishing returns and you!
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/2489160859
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]