Can someone please explain Theramore?

85 Troll Hunter
********SPOILERS!!!!, If I am lucky*******************************

I am going to come straight out and say that I am 100% ignorant on the events that took place in Theramore. I have not and do not plan on buying the books, Frankly I spend $15 a month on an online game, I shouldn't have to buy a book to be able to know what is going on. So please, Could someone who has read the books or know what is going on, please post below and help educate the people too proud to admit ignorance.

So besides that I can't really pass judgment on the scenario that just took place except for a few things.

1. I enjoy killing alliance, I am come on, I am horde, That's what we do. However I like to know why I am there.

2. As a scenario it was okay, but again I feel scenario's need a bit more intro, Even if its like the Culling of Strath. Where you can watch it once, then skip it.

3. Please stop calling it a Pre-Expansion event, It does not deserve the right to be called that.

4. I really do hope they have a pre-expansion event, If they don't that will be a huge let down. My idea/ hope from playing the beta is the big naval battle where the horde and alliance actually stumble into Pandaria.

Anyhow, Please someone help educate the ignorant!!! Cause I am one of them.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
Okay, I'll summarize the book for you and anyone else who wants to know:

*********SPOILERS BELOW*********

***SERIOUSLY SPOILERS*****

*LAST CHANCE!*

In the book Garrosh amasses an army made mainly of tauren, trolls, blood elves, and forsaken as ground troops and orcs as elite/naval troops. He bosses the other horde leaders around by letting them know they're doing to destroy Theramore (which shocks Baine) and makes it very clear that he values orc lives more than the rest of the horde. This annoys Baine and Vol'jin but despite this they agree to Garrosh's plans because they don't have a choice. Meanwhile Garrosh has a new blackrock orc right hand man who is going around assassinating anyone who disagrees with Garrosh. This includes one of the herbalism trainers in org.

Meanwhile Kalecgos is searching for the focusing iris which has been stolen from the blue dragons in the Nexus.

So the horde goes and attacks Northwatch and destroy it easily because it's a tiny alliance encampment and Garrosh has a bunch of warlocks/shaman summon molten elementals, a huge taboo as that's how Ner'zhul destroyed outland. From this perch they wait. Baine and Vol'jin aren't sure why they're waiting but every time they try to meet up with the other horde representatives to discuss Garrosh, the blackrock orc dude appears and threatens them with treason.

Baine sends a warning to Jaina in the hopes that she can evacuate Theramore before the horde gets there. Jaina decides against it and sends the civilians away by boat but recruits the Kirin'tor and a ton of alliance generals (including Shandris Feathermoon) to help fight to save Theramore. Kalecgos decides to stay and help Jaina too because he has a super big crush on her.

After days of waiting without Garrosh explaining why, the horde marches on Theramore. Garrosh sends the trolls and tauren in first as fodder and they suffer the most casualties due to the alliance resistance. The alliance actually wins against Garrosh's initial ground assault and pushes the horde out.

While the horde is outside THeramore and the alliance is inside celebrating, Garrosh reveals that he has a secret weapon to Baine. This INFURIATES Baine because it means Garrosh sacrificed an enormous amount of horde warriors knowing he had this weapon he could have used all along.

Garrosh drops the bomb. The explosion is enough to rip holes into other dimensions and timelines, utterly destroying even the timelines of certain characters. Rhonin sacrifices himself and pushes Jaina through a portal so she survives.

BUT WAIT, IT DOESN'T END THERE!

Jaina is so angry she steals the focusing iris and runs away from Kalecgos. She goes to a beach and starts summoning an enormous tidal wave of water elementals so she can drown orgrimmar completely.

Varian amasses the alliance navy to form a blockade around the horde ships as Garrosh's next target is, of course, Ashenvale. Garrosh summons his new secret weapon, a bunch of kraken (yes the same kraken that you see in Vashjir, the old god krakens) and decimates the alliance navy.

Thrall runs up to Jaina and despite his neutrality when Garrosh destroyed Theramore, he basically goes, "THINK OF THE CHILDREN! DON'T DESTROY ORGRIMMAR!" over and over until Jaina finally relents. Instead of destroying org she destroys the horde navy. She and Kalec fly off to Dalaran and she's made head of the Kirin'tor.

Meanwhile a bunch of horde members angered by Garrosh's tactics (including a forsaken and blood elven general) meet at the Razor Hill Inn to discuss what happened. Garrosh's blackrock orc guy shows up and firebombs the inn, killing all the horde folk inside.

With the destruction of his navy and a large chunk of the horde soldiers killed during the ground assault on Theramore, Garrosh lets the horde know that even children are now being conscripted into the war. And that's where the book ends.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
09/17/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Alona
Thrall runs up to Jaina and despite his neutrality when Garrosh destroyed Theramore, he basically goes, "THINK OF THE CHILDREN! DON'T DESTROY ORGRIMMAR!" over and over until Jaina finally relents. Instead of destroying org she destroys the horde navy. She and Kalec fly off to Dalaran and she's made head of the Kirin'tor.

Well, Thrall doesn't convince her, he tries to be she attacks him with the intent of killing him, and Kalecgos is the one who talks her out of it.

Because, if she had gone through with it, she'd have killed Varian and the navy he brought with him as well.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 9/17/2012 6:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
Thank you so much for posting. And I am not sure if you can answer or not. but why was this not in game, or has it "not happened yet" Or did I really just miss that much of what was going on?
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
09/17/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Mahurm
Thank you so much for posting. And I am not sure if you can answer or not. but why was this not in game, or has it "not happened yet" Or did I really just miss that much of what was going on?

I think it did just happen...in terms of the event. The naval battles in the book are how we end up getting to Pandaria.

They just...didn't...put it all in, it seems.
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
That is how I took the Pre-event to be, But so far they don't have it in there. Maybe it will be a few days before hand and we are just jumping the gun.
Reply Quote
I was expecting something completely different honestly. Reminds me when I was in college and used an old essay, redid the header, and used it for a different class. Only when I did it it wasn't a failure.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
In the book

Am I the only one who thinks lore like this should be in the game? Why do I need to buy a book to find out what I'm playing?
Edited by Dunkelweizen on 9/17/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Rogue
Why was absolutely none of that in the game?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
The mere EXISTENCE of this thread highlights one big problem with this whole event. You are expected to read a book in order to understand the story. What? That is not good storytelling. The first thing they tell you about storytelling is to "show, dont tell".

Its your job to weave exposition into the narrative, not force people to read a frikking encyclopedia just so they know what the hell is going on.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
This is exactly what Bioware did with Mass Effect. I had to explain to my father why Kai Leng was important, and I felt dirty the whole time I spoke of it. Like I was somehow enforcing this crap.

Even the comic book industry gets this right by at least telling you WHERE you can find the information. It's how you sell side issues. This?

This is wrong, Blizzard. Shameful.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
09/17/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Dunkelweizen
In the book

Am I the only one who thinks lore like this should be in the game? Why do I need to buy a book to find out what I'm playing?

I agree with you. Once of the reasons I was excited for this event was because I assumed we'd be playing out what happened in the book. Or at least that was how I read the blue comments on it, but maybe I misread them.

I bought the book so I could feel more epic when I did the game play through. I didn't realizing buying the book was a great idea because none of it would be in the game. :\
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
I really wanted this to be an informational thread as much as I agree with the lack of information. Please post constructive feedback, not just blizzard bashing. They are getting enough of that at the moment. So instead of bashing them for what was.
Please Blizzard, Hook up the people who don't buy the books.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
09/17/2012 06:18 PMPosted by Divinez
Reply Quote
90 Human Warlock
Yea, this was rather shoddy work all around. No story, boring encounters, and no coherence.

It showed off what happens in a scenario at least. I guess.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
With the destruction of his navy and a large chunk of the horde soldiers killed during the ground assault on Theramore, Garrosh lets the horde know that even children are now being conscripted into the war. And that's where the book ends.

OKAY. NO.

Why did we need a ground assault in the first place if we were just gonna drop a NUKE on it. Is that ever explained?
Reply Quote
85 Troll Hunter
While the horde is outside THeramore and the alliance is inside celebrating, Garrosh reveals that he has a secret weapon to Baine. This INFURIATES Baine because it means Garrosh sacrificed an enormous amount of horde warriors knowing he had this weapon he could have used all along.

@Honrar, It was explained. He used it as a back up plan if the "cannon fauder" couldn't break through.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/17/2012 06:18 PMPosted by Divinez

Probably because then no one would bother purchasing the book which is not good for business sadly.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock

OKAY. NO.

Why did we need a ground assault in the first place if we were just gonna drop a NUKE on it. Is that ever explained?

In the book Garrosh claims he sacrificed the ground troops to get a bunch of alliance generals in one place for the nuke. (He knew Jaina would want to fight back and would contact Varian for reinforcements. ) It's also why he waited to attack - to give them time to prepare and gather as many alliance troops as possible. He actually tells this to Baine after the bomb drops and Baine almost challenges him to an honor duel right then and there. So yeah, Garrosh basically uses the non-orc members of the horde as cannon fodder. He also didn't even know if the ground troops would make it out of the city before the bomb dropped.

Garrosh's plan works though. He ends up taking out Theramore, Pained, Rhonin, Tiris'alan, Marcus Jonathan, and a bunch of other ranking alliance folks. He ALMOST managed to get Shandris Feathermoon too but she had left Theramore to scout when the horde moved out of the city.

The book was very, very clear on how horrible of a tyrant Garrosh has become.
Edited by Alona on 9/17/2012 7:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]