Can someone please explain Theramore?

90 Human Warlock
OKAY. NO.

Why did we need a ground assault in the first place if we were just gonna drop a NUKE on it. Is that ever explained?

Probably in order to draw more important Alliance forces into the city. It worked. Non-Orc casualties are no skin off Garrosh's back, and he landed a solid blow to the Alliance in the process. Giving the Alliance a false victory also made Theramore's fall even sweeter for him, I suppose.
Edited by Zanuvial on 9/17/2012 7:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
Okay, I guess that makes sense.

I still feel like my actions were TOTALLY invalidated, though.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Okay, I'll summarize the book for you and anyone else who wants to know:

Thanks for the summary.
Reply Quote
Deathwing: *Drops a large heavy round spherical object in front of the Horde*

Horde: What's that?

Deathwing: Villain ball. Your turn. Enjoy.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Warrior
That was a nice write up. I was also very confused as to what was going on. I think the motives you assigned also make a lot of sense. Thanks again for the write up.
Reply Quote
MVP
90 Worgen Warlock
I'm glad the write-up is helpful to folks! It's good to know it may help those who hadn't read the book since I'm not sure how much of what was in the book will make it in game. (Like the naval battle, etc.)
Reply Quote
50 Troll Priest
Either way I have and always will hate Garrosh.
Reply Quote
100 Human Warrior
So much for Blizzard not forcing people to read the books to find out what happens. This was the same mistake they made with the Shattering. One day Cairne and Magni just disappeared for no reason.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Death Knight
09/17/2012 06:17 PMPosted by Dunkelweizen
Am I the only one who thinks lore like this should be in the game? Why do I need to buy a book to find out what I'm playing?

It's pretty much the same crap that Bungie did with Halo. I remember reading the books before Halo 2 came out and when it did, I just said to myself "Gee, I would have no idea what's going on right now if I didn't read the books".
Reply Quote
15 Human Priest
09/17/2012 06:10 PMPosted by Mahurm
Thank you so much for posting. And I am not sure if you can answer or not. but why was this not in game, or has it "not happened yet" Or did I really just miss that much of what was going on?

They haven't put a vast majority of it in game, and won't. Odds are most of what lead up to the Theramore event won't even be referenced in game.
Reply Quote
09/17/2012 07:26 PMPosted by Pizzaeeta
So much for Blizzard not forcing people to read the books to find out what happens. This was the same mistake they made with the Shattering. One day Cairne and Magni just disappeared for no reason.

And when players get Archmage's Staff for the loot. They're not going to even know the story behind it. It's my firm believe that the ACTUAL Battle for Theramore was 100% more epic and intense than three scavengers taking out a few orc stragglers in ruins.
Reply Quote
28 Orc Warlock
The story should absolutely be told through the game. It's inexcusable that in order to learn the story in an RPG, you have to go to outside resources. Almost the entirety of Cataclysm was told through books and whoever signed off on that really needs to reevaluate some things.

That said, you can always just take 5 minutes out of your day and read the summary over on scrolls of lore that goes up an hour after a book is released.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Death Knight
09/17/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Alona
Meanwhile Garrosh has a new blackrock orc right hand man who is going around assassinating anyone who disagrees with Garrosh. This includes one of the herbalism trainers in org.

Ahem.

Not to be "that girl"...but uh. Noticed a bit of a flaw here. xD

1. From what I've read, Vol'Jin states that some just get beat up. Some are taken into custody. Some are never seen again.

2. The person you're talking about is the Mushroom Dealer in Cleft of Shadows who sells edible mushrooms. He wasn't assassinated, but severely beat up. To, again, mention something Vol'Jin said, "He looked like he was in the wrong end of a fight."

Sorry, that was just bothering me. xD Carry on.
Reply Quote
09/17/2012 07:42 PMPosted by Drimmka
2. The person you're talking about is the Mushroom Dealer in Cleft of Shadows who sells edible mushrooms. He wasn't assassinated, but severely beat up. To, again, mention something Vol'Jin said, "He looked like he was in the wrong end of a fight."

But Malkorok seems like he progressively got more violent. When the story starts he would beat suspects up, but by the end of the book when he kills all those innocent people in the inn, he seems more villainous.
Reply Quote
I think honestly it would have been a lot better if there were quests building up to the scenario, but overall my opinion is the scenario isn't as good as it could have been.

I expected an epic war between the alliance and the horde, I expected to see untouchable bosses like Garrosh, Vol'jin, Marcus Johanthon and Pained on the battlefield fighting NPCs and finally, after all the fighting, we would be teleported out of the city and the mana bomb would drop destroying everything.

Instead we got this version, which honestly has no links to the book what so ever. No significant generals to fight, the orc legion is one I've never heard of in book or in game and the overall story of the scenario is sloppy.

I would feel the exact same way if I walked into a McDonalds, ordered a double quarter pounder and got a cheeseburger instead. That feeling of 'this isn't want I expected/ordered' followed by dismay.
Reply Quote
09/17/2012 06:02 PMPosted by Alona
Thrall runs up to Jaina and despite his neutrality when Garrosh destroyed Theramore, he basically goes, "THINK OF THE CHILDREN! DON'T DESTROY ORGRIMMAR!" over and over until Jaina finally relents. Instead of destroying org she destroys the horde navy. She and Kalec fly off to Dalaran and she's made head of the Kirin'tor.

Wait, Jaina fails to save Theramore and gets rewarded with a promotion?

Oh, and none of it is a "spoiler" if it isn't even convered in the game, leaving anyone who hasn't read the book scratching their heads.
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Warrior
09/17/2012 07:31 PMPosted by Shadowshah
It's pretty much the same crap that Bungie did with Halo. I remember reading the books before Halo 2 came out and when it did, I just said to myself "Gee, I would have no idea what's going on right now if I didn't read the books".

That's funny. I said the same thing, for the opposite reason. They cut all relevant I Love Bees content from the game due to time constraints (I will never forgive them for this), but didn't find out 'til after I'd finished the game, wondering--the whole time--where the hell Jan and the others were.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Priest
I'm going to start off by saying that yes, I think Christie Golden is a fantastic author. She's one of my personal heroes if you can believe that. As a struggling author myself, I idolize that she basically gets paid to write good fan fiction for several genres, in addition to her original works (She writes for Star Wars, and I believe she did some Star Trek too? Can't remember off-hand. Anyway...)

So when I say this, I'm not in any way insulting Ms. Golden or her work. Blizzard squarely dropped the ball here. This was a huge missed opportunity.

What they should have done was put in just enough information, leave just enough bread crumbs through the in-game mechanics to hint at several events in the novel, as opposed to leaving players more confused than when they started.

With more information, they would've made players curious in a GOOD way, making us want to read Tides of War not because players felt jilted and forced to buy a book they otherwise wouldn't, but because it sparked their curiosity.

As it is, this is just going to cause more hard feelings misdirected at Christie, and lost revenue as players boycott "on principle". :(

I understand scenarios weren't meant to be these huge lore plot wells, but Theramore should be the exception to that, considering how many players are already upset at losing the city, and Jaina appearing to turn neutral (which remains to be seen, but I'm staying out of that debate entirely)
Edited by Trinxie on 9/17/2012 8:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I would love to thank everyone giving good information in this thread, thank you thank you.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Death Knight
Saving this links to EXPLAIN to my friends in game about what's going on, since Blizzard failed badly at that.

I'm kinda of worried about the expac after that. .-.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]