Feral PVP - Bear for enery pooling?

100 Tauren Druid
Introduction:

Ok, so I saw some people on youtube discussing about feral druids pooling enery as bears, since we are pretty much energy starved quite easily.

I haven't really pvped on my druid since the new patch came out, still I decided to run some tests on this matter, I am using the same gear from the end of the expansion, so mainly I am gemming agi, agi/mastery and pvp power, all reforges to mastery after hit cap. There may be better gemming/reforging nowadays.

What is bear form energy pooling?

Well, pretty simple, you keep on cat form until you consume all your energy, them, instead of waiting in cat form for energy you shift to bear and use bear abilities for a few seconds and then go back to cat when you are full (or near to full) energy bar.

If you execute the rotarion well you can mangle/maul + thrash + maul and get to cat with a near to full energy bar.

Things my tests indicate:

- You do the same damage with bleeds on cat or bear.
- Assuming you are without energy, you are mainly doing the auto attack damage, which, with my gear is 6335 (I tested by attacking a dummy for one minute, I used glyph of savage roar to keep it up all the time with no combo points).
- For a base compare, bear auto attack damage is 2635.
- Magle crits the dummy for 25k, Maul for 9.7k.

My conclusion:
Testing on the dummy I got pretty close results doing pure cat vs cat/bear (but I am no where near perfection with the new priority rotation, and I would miss the pooling a lot on).
The main thing I noticed is that it is VERY hard to keep bleeds/savage roar up doing this, it was the first time I tried, so it probably get a lot easier as you keep testing.

Anyone been trying this? Someone with better latency or that is more used may post more precise results.

Important notes:

Those results doesn't include burst moments (I did used tiger's fury + eng glove, but didn't use incarnation, zerk or trinket).
Edited by Garhal on 9/17/2012 9:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
In what scenario would you project this move be viable?
Reply Quote
86 Night Elf Druid
i dont like this at all,no.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Pop out and cyclone/root/heal. I didn't read your post, should I?
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
09/17/2012 10:38 PMPosted by Hanharr
In what scenario would you project this move be viable?

Mainly when you have don't have aggressive cooldows (or you are saving it for a kill) and you are doing sustainable damage.
The main theory is:
"In pvp gear, bear aggressive damage is bigger than cat auto attack damage."

If this is true, by the time you have zero energy, it would better to turn into bear, use the aggressive rotation. While you are doing this, you are still gaining energy, after about 8 seconds you can shift to cat and go back to normal rotation with a full energy bar.

09/18/2012 12:17 AMPosted by Zayina
i dont like this at all,no.

I don't really like it either, but I have seem some people saying they find this better than straight cat form (due to energy shortage).
My personal experience on a dummy showed that this theory is viable, at least on level 85.

09/18/2012 02:54 AMPosted by Spammer

It is for sustainable damage, long story short:
"In pvp gear, bear aggressive damage is bigger than cat auto attack damage."

A short description is: When you have no energy, go bear mangle/maul, thrash/maul, back to cat -> full energy bar, proceed shreding/raking/rip makes better damage as a pvp cat than straight cat form.
Edited by Garhal on 9/18/2012 3:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Priest
i found that simply shelving my feral druid for reg bg's is pooling my energy for when I can enjoy pvp again as feral!
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
09/18/2012 02:54 AMPosted by Spammer

this ^^

@OP - it sounds like a great idea in theory, but in reality you could be hardcasting a CC or providing some utility like off healing in any sort of team based pvp. If you are solo, hop out to rejuv.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/18/2012 08:18 AMPosted by Satress
i found that simply shelving my feral druid for reg bg's is pooling my energy for when I can enjoy pvp again as feral!

This

In the meantime roll a shadow priest. The difference in level of play is retarded. When i see feral druid I literally think "free kill". And when a stealthed kitty jumps me I finish eating my sandwich....pop a fear...wash that sandwich down with a tasty beverage...pop a shield and some dots...take my dishes to the sink...come back and pop a different fear...refresh some dots...knit a sweater...than burst the poor cat out of his misery.
Edited by Kythan on 9/18/2012 8:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Mainly when you have don't have aggressive cooldows (or you are saving it for a kill) and you are doing sustainable damage.The main theory is:"In pvp gear, bear aggressive damage is bigger than cat auto attack damage."If this is true, by the time you have zero energy, it would better to turn into bear, use the aggressive rotation. While you are doing this, you are still gaining energy, after about 8 seconds you can shift to cat and go back to normal rotation with a full energy bar.

I like this idea! I'll be checking it out as soon as I can spare the time to hop online, by this upcoming weekend at the latest.

My suspicion is that much like others have already stated, caster form for hardcasting heals/cc will likely be a more viable option in any sort of group play. This could be something that works out in a duel or in very specific cases.

Plus, it will give me an excuse to use bear form for something other than a root charge and hp cd. : )
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
This has a name ~_~ Called "PowerShifting"... I'm not a huge fan of it.... It could have it's uses in PvP but Blizz has made it explicitly clear they will NOT be encouraging Powershifting in an optimal dps rotation.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
Power Shifting refers to the shifting that occurs when you are attempting to break a snare / root. For instance, going from Cat to Cat.

Me gusto.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Power Shifting refers to the shifting that occurs when you are attempting to break a snare / root. For instance, going from Cat to Cat.

Me gusto.

it was also used during T9 when this was a popular idea (Also when it was snuffed out).

-Hiss- =P
Reply Quote
09/18/2012 01:42 PMPosted by Nagoto
it was also used during T9 when this was a popular idea (Also when it was snuffed out).

It was actually originally coined back when you didn't retain your energy when shifting out of cat form and didn't regen it in other forms. It was a way of getting free energy in a PvE environment with the way that furor worked back then. It required pretty precise usage and timing, but could net you ~15 extra energy per shift. I believe it was during T4/5/6, back when Blizzard was purposely designing hybrid dps to suck compared to pures (and not telling anyone), and ferals were trying to eek out every last drop of dps to maintain their raid spots.

The PvP usage evolved shortly thereafter.
Edited by Baezle on 9/18/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
It was actually originally coined back when you

Never said when it was originally created =) Just when I remember it being popular in PvE.

Thanks for supporting me side of the term though! ;)
Reply Quote
Never said when it was originally created =) Just when I remember it being popular in PvE.

Thanks for supporting me side of the term though! ;)

Just felt like throwing out some feral trivia that I actually remembered =/.

Your's just happened to be the last post to quote giving context as to what I was replying to. My bad for not making that clearer.
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Druid
I stand informed.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Druid
Just felt like throwing out some feral trivia that I actually remembered =/.

Your's just happened to be the last post to quote giving context as to what I was replying to. My bad for not making that clearer.

All good!

I stand informed.

Bwhhaha >:3
Edited by Nagoto on 9/18/2012 2:03 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Druid
This

In the meantime roll a shadow priest. The difference in level of play is retarded. When i see feral druid I literally think "free kill". And when a stealthed kitty jumps me I finish eating my sandwich....pop a fear...wash that sandwich down with a tasty beverage...pop a shield and some dots...take my dishes to the sink...come back and pop a different fear...refresh some dots...knit a sweater...than burst the poor cat out of his misery.

I have a full pvp gear shadow priest and a honor-conquest mix gear warrior, I just like playing as a feral too much to drop it. I would rather try to squeeze any amount of dps by improoving macros and testing stuff than face rolling with the fotm class.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid
Unfortunately Kythan is correct though. I'm steamrolling on my shadow priest and it's far far more fluid than feral is.
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Druid

I have a full pvp gear shadow priest and a honor-conquest mix gear warrior, I just like playing as a feral too much to drop it. I would rather try to squeeze any amount of dps by improoving macros and testing stuff than face rolling with the fotm class.

This! So much of this!

FoTm is just that.. A flavor. :(
Edited by Tokiwa on 9/19/2012 2:48 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]