Are they just WoW friends?

90 Blood Elf Hunter
I am curious...How many of you consider friends in game to be real friends of yours? Actual real friends. Not judging. Just curious...
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
A friend is a friend, whether its in game or RL, I still consider somebody a friend if I get along with them :)
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/17/2012 06:47 PMPosted by Taladol
A friend is a friend, whether its in game or RL, I still consider somebody a friend if I get along with them :)

Pretty much this. How close you are with the friend obviously changes for each person, but I still consider them friends.
Reply Quote
I made friends the first year I started playing WoW (2008) that I still talk to on a regular basis and they don't even play anymore. Some are just in game friendly people, but others I would consider my actual friends. Like Xhaos and Lovekraft <3 bffs
- Bromni
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
The people I know on horde side I've known for prob over 10 years and they are the ones that got me to play wow. Mind you i've never meet them one is from up north and on is from like mid west . One day we all plan to meet before I die.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
yeah. dont have irl friends, move too much. game people stick around.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I adore my WoW friends and consider them a very real part of my life, even if I can't be with them. I've gone to visit a few IRL and have plans on meeting others. My friendships aren't just localized to "WoW" though - we text and talk every day, whether I bother logging in game or not. Honestly though, if I didn't have my friends on here - I can't see any reason I would bother logging in at all.

My 9yr old nephew even idolizes Samayael because Sam's spent hours talking and playing WoW with him. Well... flying him around, riding mounts in Org, and eating in "restaurants". But yeah. My mom even knows about my friends on here and asks how they're doing :p

I honestly just don't see a big difference between real life friends and online friends. Majority of my communication with real life friends is through texts and whatnot anyways - soo...
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
09/18/2012 12:11 AMPosted by Taluka
My friendships aren't just localized to "WoW" though - we text and talk every day, whether I bother logging in game or not. Honestly though, if I didn't have my friends on here - I can't see any reason I would bother logging in at all.

This pretty much.

MMOs are social games, and the people you meet and play with are a big part of the game. If I didn't have Tal, my guild, and all the warriors I have on RealID, I probably wouldn't bother logging in at all. The game is fun, but I can't really imagine playing it without them.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Hunter
09/17/2012 11:35 PMPosted by Naljara
When an in-game friend stabs you in the back its not so bad, when a real life friend stabs you in the back its a giant pile of crap.

Interesting observation.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
When an in-game friend stabs you in the back its not so bad, when a real life friend stabs you in the back its a giant pile of crap.

Interesting observation.

My personal experiences would say otherwise. In real life, people actually have to own up to their douchebaggery - online - not so much. I've never had people in real life betray me or lie to me like I've had online.

E: Though the ppl I've had incidents with online are few and far between. The nice ppl I've met far outweigh them.
Edited by Taluka on 9/18/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Human Paladin
The only reason I bought and played cataclysm was because of my guildmates. I enjoyed playing with them. If I decide to resubscribe for MoP, it won't be because I think the game will be good, it'll be because I miss playing with the people I know.

And in answer to your question I suppose I'd say a friend is a friend, doesn't matter if you've ever physically met.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
does it count if you played with her in a guild 3 yrars ago and now live together lol
Reply Quote
Just out of curiosity, I went on Facebook and looked through my friends and counted the ones that I've never actually met, but know from on an online game. And I counted 18. one of them I met on Starcraft in 8th grade and we've been friends since (8th grade for me was 10 years ago). And one of them I had to remind myself that they were an online only friend because I'm so close to them that I forgot that I've never actually met them in person.
The bulk of them are WoW people, mostly cho'gall alliance from <Serenity Now>. I'm sure the alliance here will agree that once you get accepted into the community, you start seeing these people as your odd little virtual family.

=P so I've got the facebooks of Tom, Facked, Xhaos, Lovekraft, Belicelli, Eldric, Darenyon, Micmuffinjr, Channa, Seraphie, Kardiss, Zaggato, Snuggiebear and Holographic if anyone wants to stalk them.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Paladin
we never talk anymore :(
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Druid
Just out of curiosity, I went on Facebook and looked through my friends and counted the ones that I've never actually met, but know from on an online game. And I counted 18. one of them I met on Starcraft in 8th grade and we've been friends since (8th grade for me was 10 years ago). And one of them I had to remind myself that they were an online only friend because I'm so close to them that I forgot that I've never actually met them in person.
The bulk of them are WoW people, mostly cho'gall alliance from <Serenity Now>. I'm sure the alliance here will agree that once you get accepted into the community, you start seeing these people as your odd little virtual family.

=P so I've got the facebooks of Tom, Facked, Xhaos, Lovekraft, Belicelli, Eldric, Darenyon, Micmuffinjr, Channa, Seraphie, Kardiss, Zaggato, Snuggiebear and Holographic if anyone wants to stalk them.

Well dammit I'm only friends with Becca
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
I actually have some good friends I met through WoW back when I first started playing, None of them really play anymore, but I still talk to them quite often. Through txts, FB, some just real ID etc... Now there's people that have just been guild mates, but that's just different.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]