Server Imbalance - Sargeras' Horde is Barren

85 Undead Priest
Our server - Sargeras - has been in continuous decline on the Horde side, with nearly all of the well-known, old-school, large guilds gone. Hell, even medium-sized and small guilds have left. All of them have transfered to other servers over the past three years. As a result, Sargeras Horde is in a pitiful state with an incredibly low population of Horde players. The server is also incredibly imbalanced, with Alliance outnumbering Horde by a ridiculous margin. According to Sargeras wowprogress data, Alliance outnumber us, with approximately 90.84% of registered guilds on the site being Alliance. Only 24 of the 262 guilds are Horde. The sad thing is that Sargeras is supposed to be a PvP server. Yikes...

First off, I want to say that I would like some feedback from a Blizzard employee on this matter. It's a serious problem, and it needs to be addressed. I want to hear from Blizzard's end on what they're doing to address systemic server problems like the one we have on Sargeras.

It's gotten so bad that our guild, which has been on Sargeras since WoW's launch in November of 2004, is finally considering moving to another server due to the horrible, imbalanced, barren environment that has been created over the years. Capitol cities are empty (even at prime times), the auction house has a lower volume of goods, fewer people are leveling, and pickup raids aren't forming. There's no trade happening in trade chat, and there's no LFG happening in general chat.

Unfortunately, many of our players can't afford the $25 fee to move their characters over. Most people have several characters that would need to be moved, amounting to $175-$200 since it's $25 PER character, which is absolutely obscene. In a nutshell, our community's been pigeonholed due to Sargeras' deterioration. People are being forced to pay a fee to solve a problem they didn't create. I hate to say this, but it's thievery on Blizzard's end.

Fundamentally, many of our people don't believe they should have to pay an additional fee for this type of service. All of us already pay a montly fee to play this game, and part of that payment is the expectation that we will be able to play a good game and enjoy our product's service. Well, the service isn't there on Sargeras - our server is imbalanced and dead for Horde. So Blizzard, either you need to fix this problem, or offer Horde players on Sargeras an option to move their characters free of expense.

So, what's being done to address this issue?
Edited by Wretchedmist on 9/17/2012 9:37 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I like your idea and agree with what you say.

09/17/2012 09:16 PMPosted by Wretchedmist

They said Cross Realm Zones is the temporary fix. Theres not really to much they can do though.
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Ghostcrawler stated that Cross Realm Zones (CRZs) will not be activated early on in Mists of Pandaria. To quote him exactly, "We are not going to enable CRZ for Pandaria zones anytime soon. We will let you invite friends from other realms."

So no, Blizzard isn't addressing Sargeras' imbalance and barren Horde population.

This brings us back to the question - Blizzard, what are you doing to address this problem?
Edited by Wretchedmist on 9/17/2012 9:42 PM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
Even if they did implement CRZs, it would only be effective if it was for every zone in the game. In essence, it would be combining two servers. If CRZ's don't apply to capitol cities, trade chat, general chat, and even leveling zones, then Horde on Sargeras is still in a horrible situation, especially since it's a PvP server. We just get outnumbered, swarmed, and creamed wherever due to a lack of Horde players, even in Orgrimmar. Attempting to kill a world raid boss or collect a battle pet in MoP is going to be an incredible pain for lots Horde players.
Edited by Wretchedmist on 9/17/2012 9:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Blizzard needs to create *incentives* to come to the low populated servers and the servers with huge faction imbalances.

They use to offer free server transfers from high populated realms to low populated realms in the past, but I don't think that will cut it.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
Even if the transfers were free why would someone do it. If I was on alliance I wouldn't consider just going horde becuase its so dead. Maybe if a bunch of people all switch at once I would too because its free but otherwise it wouldn't do much.

Although we do have some incentives including bags from yuna hugs from me and czarnick and potential gold from others. -_-

I know some people from alliance are moving to horde. Horizon brought some of his friends so hopefully that'll help. But as long as I can find some people to play with and my raids don't get cancelled every week I don't care to much.

But hey on the bright side its easy to find alliance to kill :)
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
World PVP has revitalized the Horde somewhat, but I don't know what else to really offer on the PVE side other than Cross-Realm raiding, but even then T14 Cross-realm won't be available until 5.1. Cross-Realm guilds might be the solution, but Blizzard's not willing to go that far right now, and letting CRZ play out.

It might be worth consulting with players on the less-populated factions of other servers and seeing what they think or want to do. It would take some serious campaigning to get more players to transfer to Horde Sargeras. The niche is there for WPVP, but you'll have to take to GR or possibly other realm forums to encourage them to transfer/reroll here for PVE reasons, perhaps with incentives such as gold, bags, or other items to get them started on the right foot.

With realm transfers available, Illidan is siphoning the Horde out of many servers, unfortunately. As a last resort, if you really feel the need to leave, I highly recommend Sargeras Alliance. It's the #1 Alliance server in the US to play on now, and I'd like for the server to retain some of its original identity with longstanding players and guilds.

PS: Remember Theramore!
Edited by Digerati on 9/17/2012 11:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
09/17/2012 11:48 PMPosted by Digerati
but I don't know what else to really offer

Czarnick votes that <Seriously Casual> goes horde on Sargeras. I have a feeling if you guys do many will follow in your footsteps.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Mage
We need Endac to come back!
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
World PVP has revitalized the Horde somewhat, but I don't know what else to really offer on the PVE side other than Cross-Realm raiding, but even then T14 Cross-realm won't be available until 5.1. Cross-Realm guilds might be the solution, but Blizzard's not willing to go that far right now, and letting CRZ play out.

It might be worth consulting with players on the less-populated factions of other servers and seeing what they think or want to do. It would take some serious campaigning to get more players to transfer to Horde Sargeras. The niche is there for WPVP, but you'll have to take to GR or possibly other realm forums to encourage them to transfer/reroll here for PVE reasons, perhaps with incentives such as gold, bags, or other items to get them started on the right foot.

With realm transfers available, Illidan is siphoning the Horde out of many servers, unfortunately. As a last resort, if you really feel the need to leave, I highly recommend Sargeras Alliance. It's the #1 Alliance server in the US to play on now, and I'd like for the server to retain some of its original identity with longstanding players and guilds.

PS: Remember Theramore!

We both know that it's pretty unlikely that high end raiding guilds would transfer to the dead side of the server. One of the strengths of Alliance side is the economy. There are simply more high end items for focused guilds to purchase during progression. Will that definitely make a difference on a US competitive kill? Probably not. But min-maxers won't take that chance. Further, how do serious guilds recruit when they want/need casuals to help them farm up the new tier's materials? A simple bag of gold as a way of saying "welcome" to the horde isn't going to trump the benefits of being Alliance on Sargeras. Pragmatism outweighs the desire for balance.
Edited by Dictainabox on 9/18/2012 8:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Worgen Mage
Yeah, that's all I got ><
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
09/17/2012 09:16 PMPosted by Wretchedmist

Actually, I could pose another question. What are you doing to address this issue?

You could technically take your time to flood the Auction House with low level profession items if you so chose to do so. No one is selling low level cooking materials - I had to take the time to kill bears and Naga to get the materials one of my characters requires. I could imagine one could make a decent amount of gold doing this during a time when Pilgrim's Week isn't looming around the corner and an xpac coming out with people switching to new mains.

There are no PuGs you say. Are you trying to host any? I'm personally pushing to get my guild more involved with the Sargeras Horde community for Mists. I need to keep another character well geared so expect a partial guild/partial PuG run to be advertised from me (and possibly others in Seraphim on different days).

I hear a lot of complaining from the Horde side, but I don't really hear a lot of people saying "I tried to host PuGs/provide the AH with low level Inscription mats/help out lowbies with my knowledge." At the same time I don't feel a lot of community within the Horde. I barely know most people when I used to know someone in every guild back in Wrath. I wouldn't be against having a Horde community thread over on someone's guild website where people can go socialize, or one on the Sargeras forum for that matter, but I can only imagine how flooded a post on this forum would get with "yo bro i killed u and ur friend u mad? lolololol" rather than being a place for Horde to communicate.

Heck, just whisper me in game for a chat. Never know when I could need a backup for a guild event and you might have someone that can fill the spot! I don't bite. Well, at least not where it shows.
Edited by Ashleycakez on 9/18/2012 12:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Priest
Czarnick is contributing by leveling a horde character to help even out the horde to alliance ratio.

Add Croconaw to your friends list and lets chit chat.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I realize this isn't what you want to hear, but in all likelihood they won't do anything about it. Illidan and Mal'Ganis have been far more imbalanced for a long time.

They could offer free transfers off like they did in Classic, but server stability is less of an issue now so it's unlikely that many Alliance would leave an otherwise great server even for free. It's more likely that the people transferring off would be Horde, putting the nail in the coffin for Sargeras Horde. I guess this would address your issue of getting your guild off though.

Maybe one day down the road they could merge some low pop Horde dominated servers with Sargeras.
Edited by Boomkanye on 9/18/2012 3:07 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
First off, I thought this was something I wrote for a moment lol! I'm usually the wall of text guy!

I agree with you btw, I have being 3%...
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
I also want to add that I've tried to get a blue here before, and that's never happened for me :(

They're ruthless peoples.

#LoveForMVP
Reply Quote
85 Undead Priest
09/18/2012 11:47 AMPosted by Ashleycakez

Actually, I could pose another question. What are you doing to address this issue?

I gotta admit, Ashleycakez, I nearly had a stroke when I read your reply.

Let me pose a question right back at you - why do you believe that I need to address this issue? I'll put it another way - what makes you think that I need to fix the server imbalance problem on Sargeras? Let me remind you that I'm just a guy who plays a computer game here. I love the game, and we have an awesome community of people, but yes, it is a game. It's not my job.

I'll make a deal with you, Ashley. If you sit down and offer me a job to work for Blizzard, offer me competitive pay, and write my paycheck, then yeah, I'll start working on Sargeras' massive server imbalance problem. Until that happens, you need to remind yourself that this is Blizzard's responsibility, not mine. It's not my job, nor should it be, to make sure that the quality of Blizzard's product and service continues to provide a good, stable server for all of the other people who play on Sargeras.

Be careful. You're like a bull in a china shop when you point fingers. Don't assume that I haven't "put my time in" or "helped others" on Sargeras. It's insulting. Our guild - Obsidian Spur - has been on Sargeras since WoW's launch in November of 2004. I've been in the guild since March of 2005, which is when I bought the game and started playing (I truly started in the beta). I've been loyal to the Sargeras community since Day 1. Big world events, big raids, big trading and selling, and big world PvP. This has always been my server. I took over as guildmaster in mid TBC when a bitter player exodus occured, which consisted of some of our guild and raid leadership. I've kept the guild alive, have slowly rebuilt it, and have tried hard to be the glue that holds things together. I think I've a decent job, especially considering the difficult personalities of some players. We cleared all of Wrath and Cata content. We worked with other guilds like Virakar and The Wrecking Crew. I, and the members of our community, have done our part to keep Sargeras Horde alive. Even with all our efforts and loyalty to the server we love, we've had to watch Horde fade away on it. Hell, you could even say it started in Vanilla with the departure of TKT and End Guys.

I don't want to leave this server, but the reality is that there's nothing I can do anymore. I understand what you're trying to say - that we players can make a difference in our communities - but the reality is that we can't do it alone. It's not my responsibility to babysit Sargeras and make sure it's healthy. That's the job of Blizzard employees. It's the service I pay for.

You know, let me correct myself and say that yes, there is something I can still do to make a difference - I can make my feedback known here on the Sargeras forums. I expect someone on Blizzard's end to read this, because after all, we are the people that employ them. All I'm asking for is that they address their problems. This is a guild-wide decision we need to make, and it's an important one. We need feedback from Blizzard.
Reply Quote
100 Night Elf Druid
I'm pretty sure it is established that nobody on Blizzard's end that is involved in those kind of decisions reads Realm Forums. The moderators are only paid to show up and hand out bans when someone reports a post.

People have been complaining about this very issue on other servers for years and Blizzard's only response has been CRZ. What would you like to see them do?
Edited by Boomkanye on 9/19/2012 12:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
Just reroll to the Alliance and keep some alternates on Horde. Honestly, that's the only thing that makes this server enjoyable at the moment. As for suggestions, Blizzard should either a) merge servers, or b) offer free character migration (i.e. free server transfers to Alliance/Horde, free faction changes to Alliance/Horde, and free guild faction changes to Alliance/Horde) to and from imbalanced faction/servers.
Edited by Aenathas on 9/19/2012 12:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
85 Troll Priest
09/18/2012 10:07 PMPosted by Wretchedmist
Let me pose a question right back at you - why do you believe that I need to address this issue?

I meant it more as a rhetorical question posed as perhaps a way to spark some sense of caring within the general Horde population. Its evident that you are quite passionate about it, otherwise you would be more apathetic and just complain in trade chat like others then disappear from the server.

Sorry I don't know your e-rep? I doubt you know mine either :P

I've witnessed players that have come and gone within my own guild, other guilds, or other servers who complained often and loudly about faction imbalance on x server. For me, I don't think moving to a server like Illidan would make me happy. I enjoy the quiet. I know of a guild that transferred from this server to a med pop Horde server (whose Org was more dead than ours, mind you), only to absolutely crash and burn.

If you have the means, including the rl money, to make the server transfer work, then do it. If more populated is what you want go ahead. I don't think it makes a difference anyways with RealID/Btag friends and the ability to group with them to do certain things. All the emphasis is on the guild in regards to perks but so much of the game, sans current tier Normal/Heroic raids, is doable without being in a guild. To me, that's where I have a problem with the way the game is headed.

But oh well, I stay here because I enjoy slaying dragons with the people I play with.

09/19/2012 12:46 AMPosted by Aenathas
Just reroll to the Alliance and keep some alternates on Horde.

I absolutely loathe the Alliance story line and would I never play on Sargeras Alliance. Yes I do have some Alliance toons scattered around that I try to play but meh. I feel uninspired by the entire faction. Personal preference thing.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]