Will Guards be Removed in MoP?

90 Orc Death Knight
There's nothing more fun than World PvP. However, the amount of guards in this game spoil that fun when one side isn't winning the fight.

Guards right now do all of the following things:

• Disregard LoS
  • Root you in place and the root has no DR
  • Hit you like a truck
  • Spawn off each other in an endless wave.
  • Not only that, but guards have around 130k HP.

I'm gonna go to a place where I don't usually go when it comes to this game...: Lore. Lorewise, guards should be getting one shot by players. Guards are normal beings, while the players, us, are heroes.

In Wrath, it was perfect how guards were set up. They were 5 levels lower than the level cap, and posed no threat, unless you let them live.

If your (Blizzard's) goal is to bring back World PVP you'd lessen the damage, level, and HP of all the guards.
    Edited by Saricc on 9/19/2012 5:09 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warrior
    Why is it that when people mention WPvP they invariably mention PvE guards? Go PvP where there aren't any guards. Stupid noobs.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid
    "whaaah I can't gank lowbies without guards killing me"

Protip: World PvP doesn't mean "gank lowbies", it means epic battles between equally matches sides.
    Edited by Fudgesicle on 9/19/2012 5:13 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    MVP
    90 Night Elf Priest
    There is virtually no chance they will be removed.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight

Protip: World PvP doesn't mean "gank lowbies", it means epic battles between equally matches sides.

Who said anything about ganking low level players?

Yes, "epic battles" are fun, but when the other sides runs into a safe zone with a bunch of guards surrounding them (TB base camps come to mind with 999k hp Guards), the "epic battle" turns into a raid and a stalemate.
    Reply Quote
    While they are annoying, if you WPVP in places like TBP, have someone in a tank spec. That way you can sit in the Horde camp until you're outnumbered.

On KJ, guards aren't a big issue considering the size of our WPvP events. We recently sat in an Inn in Org for 2 hours killing everything that moved.

However, I have no issue with guards being nerfed even more than they were recently.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Paladin
    PVE Guards were made, and then buffed specifically to stop what you want from happening. They're not going anywhere.
    Reply Quote
    90 Undead Priest
    09/19/2012 05:11 PMPosted by Baneusprime
    Why is it that when people mention WPvP they invariably mention PvE guards? Go PvP where there aren't any guards. Stupid noobs.
    Reply Quote
    90 Human Warlock
    What idiot builds their town with no guards?

That's like putting a bowl of candy in the middle of New York City and leaving it there.
    Edited by Tonow on 9/19/2012 5:23 PM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Guards are never going to be removed. They exist to prevent high level players from rolling into a quest hub, killing all the quest NPCs, and stop them from ganking lowbies there. A dedicated PvP group can handle guards at the appropriate level; right now, all the guards are 5 levels higher than us, so our current hit ratings and what not aren't enough to guarantee hits every time, and they are also tuned to level 90 players, meaning their damage won't be so high once you are at level 90.
    Reply Quote
    85 Orc Warrior
    There's nothing more fun than World PvP. However, the amount of guards in this game spoil that fun when one side isn't winning the fight.

• Disregard LoS
  • Hit you like a truck

I'm gonna go to a place where I don't usually go when it comes to this game...: Lore. Lorewise, guards should be getting one shot by players. Guards are normal beings, while the players, us, are heroes.

In Wrath, it was perfect how guards were set up. They were 5 levels lower than the level cap, and posed no threat, unless you let them live.

If your (Blizzard's) goal is to bring back World PVP you'd lessen the damage, level, and HP of all the guards.

Stop doing your world PvP in town/city and no guard will attack you. It's fun when there are 100% efficient solution to a problem.
    Reply Quote
    90 Night Elf Druid

Yes, "epic battles" are fun, but when the other sides runs into a safe zone with a bunch of guards surrounding them (TB base camps come to mind with 999k hp Guards), the "epic battle" turns into a raid and a stalemate.

Because if you're doing WPvP where the are guards, chances are very high that's what you're doing.
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight
    I figured I would get negative responses considering half the people in the general forums sit in Dungeon and LFR queues.

I just don't understand why people are even against nerfing guards. City ganking was the funnest part of Wrath. If you didn't want to be a part of it, then you didn't have to.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    Guards will be weaker, and spawn slower, on pvp realms when MoP goes live, while PvE guards will stay overpowered and spawn fast.

Anyone who hates being ganked, and pvp in general, on pvp realms are going to be massacred.
    Edited by Darién on 9/19/2012 5:27 PM PDT
    Reply Quote

You realize that if you push into the middle of either camp, the guard don't respawn as much, right?

If you are standing at the entrance, the guards will respawn non stop.
    Reply Quote
    90 Troll Druid
    I don't want to leave a battleground and get ganked immediately on entering into Org. /:
    Reply Quote

Because if you're doing WPvP where the are guards, chances are very high that's what you're doing.

How many low levels are in TBP?
    Reply Quote
    90 Orc Death Knight
    09/19/2012 05:27 PMPosted by Juventas
    I don't want to leave a battleground and get ganked immediately on entering into Org. /:

Then go some place where you'll know there wont be any players on the opposing faction. Like next to Garrosh or flying in the air.
    Reply Quote
    90 Blood Elf Paladin
    If guards are kicking your butt, I suggest you get out of neutral towns like Gagdgetzan and Booty Bay. Normal Alliance/Horde town guards are pretty weak; nevermind how pathetically weak when you have a healer and a few DPS.
    Reply Quote
    10 Night Elf Hunter

• Disregard LoS
  • Hit you like a truck

You think guards at 85 hit you hard? Really? LOL you're doing it wrong if you think that. Also they ignore LoS specifically to foil smartasses who think it's funny to get up into an area of a city or town that makes them unattackable by virtue of LoS but they can still AoE to kill things. In wrath guards did absolutely nothing and brain damaged morons had free reign of going into capital cities ganking bank alts and killing NPCs.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]