Azshara the Zone

90 Blood Elf Mage
From wowpedia it says,

"Before the Great Sundering, this shattered stretch of coast along Kalimdor's northern border was once a part of the night elven capital of Zin-Azshari; then came the demons' expulsion from the world. The land was rent asunder and the sea thundered in, making the region a watery grave and leaving nothing but ruins of the once great city."

So my question, if what was Zin-Azshari was in Azshara, and the very round part was the Well of Eternity, why on earth is the Maelstrom in the middle of the Great Sea? I've read that where the Maelstrom is was the centre of the Well of Eternity, and Zin-Azshari, Suramar and the other cities on the Well sunk underneath, or close to where the Maelstrom now stands?

Did Blizzard mess up? Or am I missing something?
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Well, besides the Sundering, you can factor in 10,000 years of continental drift.
Reply Quote
87 Blood Elf Priest
I don't think Azshara the zone is related. It's central city (ruins) has another name that currently escapes me.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
09/19/2012 05:47 PMPosted by Gerrol
I don't think Azshara the zone is related. It's central city (ruins) has another name that currently escapes me.

Then why was there a decently round circle formed? It can't just be a coincidence, was there something else there?

09/19/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Pyronaptor
Well, besides the Sundering, you can factor in 10,000 years of continental drift.

We have no proof that there's continental drift or plate tectonics on Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
Sure there is

Will we be hearing from any of the old or neglected human nations in Cata, specifically Stromgarde, Kul'tiras, and the remnants of Alterac (hey, Deathwing paraded around as an Alterac noble before)?
With the revamp of the classic World of Warcraft zones, players will get a chance to see how the fallen nations of Stromgarde and Alterac have fared over the last few years. Kul Tiras, the island nation, will not be visible at the start of Cataclysm – something about tectonic plates shifting it out to sea....
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
Sure there is

Will we be hearing from any of the old or neglected human nations in Cata, specifically Stromgarde, Kul'tiras, and the remnants of Alterac (hey, Deathwing paraded around as an Alterac noble before)?
With the revamp of the classic World of Warcraft zones, players will get a chance to see how the fallen nations of Stromgarde and Alterac have fared over the last few years. Kul Tiras, the island nation, will not be visible at the start of Cataclysm – something about tectonic plates shifting it out to sea....

Curse you Blizzrad! Why couldn't you have given us Kul Tiras! But 10,000 years isn't a long time for THAT much continental drift, considering our last Ice Age was approximately 10,000 years ago, and the continents haven't drifted that much according to fossil record, and what not.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
The answer is simple: Magic.

Also, the city in azshara is named Zin-Ashari, which is the name of the kaldorei capital city

Presumably, the continents were all collected long ago, and Azshara was located along the shores of the well
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
So, did the remnants of Kalimdor get moved when the well exploded? or did the Maelstrom decided to churn in the centre of the ocean instead of where the actual implosion happened?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
09/19/2012 06:24 PMPosted by Lorelaî
So, did the remnants of Kalimdor get moved when the well exploded? or did the Maelstrom decided to churn in the centre of the ocean instead of where the actual implosion happened?

A good bit of it did fall into the sea. If you'll notice, half of the city is under water, and there are ruins all over Vash'jr.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
09/19/2012 06:25 PMPosted by Aurriastraza

A good bit of it did fall into the sea. If you'll notice, half of the city is under water, and there are ruins all over Vash'jr.

But most of what is now the Great Sea was all landmass. So, my question is still the same. Or was Zin-Azshari, and it's surrounding cities, or districts so large in enveloped 70% of Azeroth's landmass?
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
I think it more likely things went like this:

-The Sundering occurs
-Kalimdor splits at the corners and seperates into Pandaria, Kalimdor, Northrend, and the Eastern Lands
-One third of the land, pretty much everything around the well submerges
-The magical forces of the well, and tectonics, push the land masses away
-While moving, the Eastern Lands further deterioate into the three mini continents: Lordaeron, Khaz Modan, and Azeroth
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage
I think it more likely things went like this:

-The Sundering occurs
-Kalimdor splits at the corners and seperates into Pandaria, Kalimdor, Northrend, and the Eastern Lands
-One third of the land, pretty much everything around the well submerges
-The magical forces of the well, and tectonics, push the land masses away
-While moving, the Eastern Lands further deterioate into the three mini continents: Lordaeron, Khaz Modan, and Azeroth

I guess I can accept that. It's not like we'll ever get a blue post concerning it. All though, it would be pretty cool if I just stumped the blues, and they dubbed me the "Red Shirt Guy V2.0"

Or something different and made a pointless Night Elf NPC of me in Darnassus or something...
Edited by Lorelaî on 9/19/2012 6:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/19/2012 06:28 PMPosted by Lorelaî
But most of what is now the Great Sea was all landmass. So, my question is still the same. Or was Zin-Azshari, and it's surrounding cities, or districts so large in enveloped 70% of Azeroth's landmass?

No, I think it more pushed the landmasses apart.

But I've also thought it strange when visiting the big naga city in Azshara. That city should have been melted or blown apart by the forces needed to take it so far from the Maelstrom.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
09/19/2012 05:45 PMPosted by Pyronaptor

WoW geology is... faster... a lot faster.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

I guess I can accept that. It's not like we'll ever get a blue post concerning it. All though, it would be pretty cool if I just stumped the blues, and they dubbed me the "Red Shirt Guy V2.0"

Or something different and made a pointless Night Elf NPC of me in Darnassus or something...

How about "Lore-lai-guy of the red cloak"?
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Mage

How about "Lore-lai-guy of the red cloak"?

I approve! Kind of, I actually have a t-mog set I need to finish in 25man Ulduar, but, yeah.... 25man Ulduar... If i could show Blizz what I want, and have a Blood Elf in that set, beside Jaina whenever she shows up in MoP, that'd be cool too!
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
So my question, if what was Zin-Azshari was in Azshara, and the very round part was the Well of Eternity, why on earth is the Maelstrom in the middle of the Great Sea? I've read that where the Maelstrom is was the centre of the Well of Eternity, and Zin-Azshari, Suramar and the other cities on the Well sunk underneath, or close to where the Maelstrom now stands?

Did Blizzard mess up? Or am I missing something?

Was Zin-Azshari in Azshara? Yes, except for sometimes, and with no explanation how (maybe magical continental drift).

http://www.wowpedia.org/Zin-Azshari#Ruins_of_Zin-Azshari_in_Azshara

Was the Well of Eternity in the Bay of Storms? No. I'm not sure why the zone is shaped like that, but it is not the coast of the Well.
Edited by Pumlaxer on 9/19/2012 8:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
09/19/2012 06:40 PMPosted by Threeslotbag

No, I think it more pushed the landmasses apart.

But I've also thought it strange when visiting the big naga city in Azshara. That city should have been melted or blown apart by the forces needed to take it so far from the Maelstrom.

Didn't Azshara expend a huge amount of energy to protect the city, mostly for her own sake, before finally succumbing and being pulled down to the sea? I'm sure the reason the ruins are as intact as they are is because of that.
Reply Quote
26 Worgen Hunter
Also, unlike the real world, Azeroth has several beings capable of making huge changes on a large scale. The Aspects, the Titanic constructs, the Old Gods. Any number of these could be responsible for the more peculiar aspects of modern Azeroth.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/19/2012 08:48 PMPosted by Rudox
Also, unlike the real world, Azeroth has several beings capable of making huge changes on a large scale.

Goblins! :O
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]