Archaeology never changed?

80 Blood Elf Paladin
I was pretty sure I read somewhere in patch notes that they were planning to change / were going to change archaeology so that if you had all of the rares for a group (ex: Night Elf) it would stop giving you dig sites for that group.

I have every single rare for Night Elf. I spent forever in 2011 trying to get the Doll and in the process got every other rare first. Right now I started it up again out of boredom / to get bearded axes for a monk alt. This definitely isn't the case. I'm still getting quite a few night elf dig sites.

Is there an option to turn them off or was this just one of those "Oh.... we plan on doing this two years from now.... maybe....." things again?
Reply Quote
90 Gnome Mage
No, if you have all rares from a race, it will give you a REDUCED chance to get digsites for that race, it doesn't eliminate them entirely.
Reply Quote
90 Human Mage
09/20/2012 05:44 AMPosted by Ryken
No, if you have all rares from a race, it will give you a REDUCED chance to get digsites for that race, it doesn't eliminate them entirely.

What? I have every NE rare and I get so many NE things it's crazy. I don't see this at ALL. I need tol'vir. It's the only stuff I'm missing, instead I have to fly to the top of Kal and dig all over for NE stuff I've done a hundred times already.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
Like Ryken, I have heard the chances were reduced, but I never really saw a difference.

However, in 5 days, you can just farm digsites in Pandaria. Completed artifacts (not sure if all or only a sub-group) can be traded for fragments from the other races. So no more NE dig sites unless you are feeling nostalgic.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/19/2012 11:08 PMPosted by Dignity
Right now I started it up again out of boredom / to get bearded axes for a monk alt. This definitely isn't the case. I'm still getting quite a few night elf dig sites.

It might be that there aren't that many Night Elf digsites in Northrend for you to notice the reduction.

I don't know what the true reduction is supposed to be, as Blizzard said it would be "significant". Many people here, and on other websites seem to put the reduction at around 30% if I remember correctly.

So a reduction on a small subset will be hard to feel as you fly around Northrend surveying.

The reason is that there are about 30 digsites in Northrend. Of those, 4 are Night Elf (4/30 --> 13.3%).

If there is a reduction of 30%, you should be seeing Night Elf digsites roughly 9.3% of the time (70% of 13.3).

On paper, there is a reduction, but I don't know that I would feel the difference between 13.3 and 9.3.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
The reason it seems like you are still getting many NE and not tol'vir is because like 80% of the digsites in Kalimdor are NE and there is only one zone for tol'vir.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
09/20/2012 09:26 AMPosted by Unjoiner
It might be that there aren't that many Night Elf digsites in Northrend for you to notice the reduction.

I am sure is was I mis-type, do it myself, but Tol'vir farming takes place in Kalimdor (?), not Northrend. I didn't think any NE digsites were in Northrend, though I never gathered there.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/21/2012 05:43 AMPosted by Jozie

I am sure is was I mis-type, do it myself, but Tol'vir farming takes place in Kalimdor (?), not Northrend. I didn't think any NE digsites were in Northrend, though I never gathered there.

I might have misread Dignity's post.

I read she was trying to get Nifflevar Bearded Axe, a Vrykul rare artifact from Northrend, but was still seeing too many Night Elf digsites.

Those Night Elves seemed to have lived everywhere, as Northrend has 4 Night Elf digsites (about 13% of all digsites there).

I just hope they never had civilizations in Pandaria, I don't think I could take digging up their stuff there too!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/20/2012 08:00 PMPosted by Theberserker
The reason it seems like you are still getting many NE and not tol'vir is because like 80% of the digsites in Kalimdor are NE and there is only one zone for tol'vir.

It definitely feels that way, but it is actually around 50% for Night Elf.

There is only one zone for Tol'vir, but it has almost as many digsites as Fossil, Troll, and Dwarf combined (16 vs 18).

There are supposed to be 69 total digsites in Kalimdor (taken from WoWpedia), of which:

- 35 are Night Elf ( 35/69 ----> 50.7% )
- 16 are Tol'vir ( 16/69 ----> 23.2% )
- 13 are Fossil ( 13/69 ----> 18.8% )
- 4 are Troll ( 4/69 ----> 5.8% )
- 1 is Dwarf ( 1/69 ----> 1.4% )
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
Trading in panda or mogu completed projects for other ones will be an incredibly slow way to solve your missing old-world desired artefacts. It takes roughly 50 fragments to complete mogu/panda commons & trading one of these only gets the equivalent of a single survey (6-9 fragments). If there weren't so many new achievements for solving multiple commons & pristine versions of the new races' artifacts I woulnd't really bother with Pandaria & just continue to dig in the old world for the epics I'm still after.

Another thing missing is the occaisonal gold reward for selling unwanted commons, all new items vendor for 1g each. Unless you choose to crate them, then they lose even that 1g value & can only be used as tokens. I didn't do enough of it on the beta to find any pristine artefacts & see their value.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
You know, statistically it seems I should be seeing more Tol'vir than Fossil in Kalimdor at the very least, but that is absolutely not the case.
Reply Quote
85 Goblin Death Knight
I might have misread Dignity's post.

I read she was trying to get Nifflevar Bearded Axe, a Vrykul rare artifact from Northrend, but was still seeing too many Night Elf digsites.

Those Night Elves seemed to have lived everywhere, as Northrend has 4 Night Elf digsites (about 13% of all digsites there).

I just hope they never had civilizations in Pandaria, I don't think I could take digging up their stuff there too!

Wow...NE in Northrend? No wonder everyone hates them so much. Just curious (not questioning) but can you name the zones?
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
For Northrend, Night Elves are supposed to be in Crystalsong Forest, Borean Tundra, and Dragonblight zones.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
The Mogu digsites are absolutely out of control. Out of twenty two crated artifacts, five of them are Pandaren. Even it out a bit for crying out loud.
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
aus
The Mogu digsites are absolutely out of control. Out of twenty two crated artifacts, five of them are Pandaren. Even it out a bit for crying out loud.

Thread has nothing to do with the issue and rng is rng, I am getting more pandaren then mogu, Note I have solved 2 pandaren rares and zero mogu
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Priest
10/03/2012 05:02 PMPosted by Mate

Thread has nothing to do with the issue and rng is rng, I am getting more pandaren then mogu, Note I have solved 2 pandaren rares and zero mogu

turn the restored artifacts for the scrambler map
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]