MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

90 Draenei Shaman
The watch.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/08/2012 03:35 PMPosted by Gistwiki
Better way to balance the hit cap. It was originally BoTF but someone submitted a new gearset to simcraft that worked out slightly better which included LFW.

The question is will there actually BE a heroic LFW though? They're a raid BoE, and raid BoEs haven't dropped as heroic items on their own in quite some time and so far as I know there's no shard system this tier like there was in FL.

I knew I should have started that "where does it drop" list sooner.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I'm holding onto the hit rating trinket for now...that's an amazing amount of SP to be able to use with ascendance if you can get everything to line up. Not a 3 minute CD, but 2.5 minutes is pretty close.

But yeah I still use the watch as a main.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'm holding onto the hit rating trinket for now...that's an amazing amount of SP to be able to use with ascendance if you can get everything to line up. Not a 3 minute CD, but 2.5 minutes is pretty close.

But yeah I still use the watch as a main.

It's actually worth saving the cd for Ascendance rather than popping it every time.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Should have clarified that, but that's what I meant.

If we ever see a fight like spine again, God forbid, it will be extremely useful unless another on use trinket outweighs it.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
Something doesn't feel right about my dps. I'm usually hovering around 55-58k on Feng the Accursed, and I just don't know what's wrong. It feels like I'm doing something wrong but I just can't seem to grasp the issue, and I don't believe it's a gear issue. What are you guys usually pulling on Feng? Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
68.2k last week.
71.4k this week.

Note that 58k on Feng is enough to get a rank in 25s atm, so you're not that badly off.
Edited by Gistwiki on 10/10/2012 8:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Shaman
Just got my Darkmoon Relic. Sim jumped from 58.3k to 62.2k. SO excited for next week.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/09/2012 05:08 PMPosted by Askledarea
It's actually worth saving the cd for Ascendance rather than popping it every time.

If you take EM, is it worth saving the CD for Ascendance every time as well - assuming you never get to line up Ascendance with hero? (Of course, speaking as a non-troll)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/17/2012 08:39 AMPosted by Azloran
If you take EM, is it worth saving the CD for Ascendance every time as well - assuming you never get to line up Ascendance with hero? (Of course, speaking as a non-troll)

Pretty sure he answered no to this on another occasion as it severely reduces the strength of the EM talent and the boost to Ascendance doesn't make up for it.

You get to use it on every other Ascendance anyways :<
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
I remember when I had Liaxs Power Auras Export... Was so easy to dps back then.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqMPved-Wh0&feature=plcp

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/163/057/opwilldeliver.jpg
Soon(tm)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/17/2012 02:34 PMPosted by Kalfos
I remember when I had Liaxs Power Auras Export... Was so easy to dps back then.

Liax doesn't use PA anymore though, and neither do I :(

I would suggest this - http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1188644

Endus' Elemental Auras. It uses Weak Auras rather than Power Auras though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/17/2012 03:45 PMPosted by Gistwiki
Liax doesn't use PA anymore though, and neither do I :(

!@#$% please http://imageshack.us/a/img23/8154/wowscrnshot102012072400.jpg

Set=Elemental@
Aura[1]=Version:4.3.8; icon:Spell_Shaman_SpiritLink; buffname:Jade Spirit; x:-230; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.2; y:-195; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-195; timer.x:-236@
Aura[2]=Version:4.3.8; icon:trade_alchemy_potiond4; buffname:Potion of the Jade Serpent; x:-175; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.2; y:-195; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-195; timer.x:-181@
Aura[3]=Version:4.3.8; icon:inv_inscription_trinket_dragon; buffname:Blessing of the Celestials; x:-120; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.2; y:-195; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-195; timer.x:-126@
Aura[4]=Version:4.3.8; icon:Ability_Hunter_Readiness; buffname:Now is the time!; x:-65; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.2; y:-195; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-195; timer.x:-71@
Aura[5]=Version:4.3.8; anim1:2; icon:spell_shaman_lavasurge; buffname:Lava Surge; alpha:0.25; owntex:true; duration:0.75; size:0.75; y:10@
Aura[6]=Version:4.3.8; b:0.0196; icon:Spell_Nature_LightningShield; buffname:Lightning Shield; r:0; stacks:5; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; combat:true; size:0.3; y:-125@
Aura[7]=Version:4.3.8; b:0; g:0.9333; icon:Spell_Nature_LightningShield; buffname:Lightning Shield; stacks:6; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; combat:true; size:0.3; y:-125@
Aura[8]=Version:4.3.8; b:0; g:0.0627; icon:Spell_Nature_LightningShield; buffname:Lightning Shield; stacks:7; owntex:true; stacksOperator:=; combat:true; size:0.3; y:-125@
Aura[9]=Version:4.3.8; icon:shaman_talent_elementalblast; buffname:Elemental Blast; x:-90; bufftype:15; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; combat:true; size:0.3; y:-125; texmode:2; ismounted:0@
Aura[10]=Version:4.3.8; icon:Spell_Shaman_LavaBurst; buffname:Lava Burst; x:90; bufftype:15; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; combat:true; size:0.3; y:-125; ismounted:0@
Aura[11]=Version:4.3.8; icon:Spell_Fire_ElementalDevastation; buffname:Ascendance; texture:45; alpha:0.1; owntex:true; size:0.75; y:570; timer.h:1.98; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-125; timer.x:75@
Aura[12]=Version:4.3.8; target:true; icon:Spell_Fire_FlameShock; buffname:Flame shock; x:38; isAlive:0; bufftype:2; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; size:0.2; y:-195; ismounted:0; timer.enabled:true; timer.y:-195; timer.x:30@
Aura[13]=Version:4.3.8; buffname:Elemental Blast; x:-90; bufftype:7; owntex:true; inVehicle:0; combat:true; size:0.3; y:-125; texmode:2; ismounted:0@

Top row- EB cooldown tracker, LS tracker with shields up, LvB CD tracker. Timer over LvB is ascendance buff duration

Bottom row- Left side buffs/potion; right side flame shock timer

I use elvui to track totems now. may change that later
Edited by Liax on 10/20/2012 5:28 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/20/2012 05:26 AMPosted by Liax
!@#$% please

I stand corrected.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
I already have some changes I want to make out it though so those aren't my final set in stone auras. That's just what I'm using for the time being.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
10/17/2012 10:44 AMPosted by Gistwiki

Pretty sure he answered no to this on another occasion as it severely reduces the strength of the EM talent and the boost to Ascendance doesn't make up for it.

You get to use it on every other Ascendance anyways :<

I haven't been keeping up with this as much as I would like. Are you guys saying it's better to save Elemental Mastery for Ascendance or better to use Ascendance then Elemental Mastery after? I do see the problem with running into too much haste while using Ascendance and EM. Just curious. I decided to try out echo of the elements more as well and so far I'm very pleased.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/22/2012 02:29 AMPosted by Grimsight
I haven't been keeping up with this as much as I would like. Are you guys saying it's better to save Elemental Mastery for Ascendance or better to use Ascendance then Elemental Mastery after? I do see the problem with running into too much haste while using Ascendance and EM. Just curious. I decided to try out echo of the elements more as well and so far I'm very pleased.

Don't save EM. Use it on CD at 0 - 2 - 4 - 6. Ascendance will line up with EM at 0 & 6 with a use that isn't modified by EM at 3. If you save it then the boost to Ascendance doesn't make up for the lost EM.

EoE is lovely :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Don't save EM. Use it on CD at 0 - 2 - 4 - 6. Ascendance will line up with EM at 0 & 6 with a use that isn't modified by EM at 3. If you save it then the boost to Ascendance doesn't make up for the lost EM.

EoE is lovely :)

Could you help me napkin math it out a bit more? I'm still thinking using it at 0 - 3 - 5 (and losing an EM) is better than 0 - 2 - 4 - 6. This is assuming that the Ascendance at 6 minutes is helped by heroism for the execute phase.

I'm basically comparing 1 extra hasted ascendance to 20 seconds of 30% hasted regular rotation that would've replaced the hasted ascendance, and then 20 seconds of another EM with 30% haste?

EM brings my 1.3 second cast down to 1 second, which means I get about 3-4 lava bursts extra during my ascendance.

3.5 lava bursts at about 130k a pop + 40% mastery * 75% dmg = 494k damage.

Assuming haste is a direct DPS increase (which it isn't, again, napkin math), that means that in order to do 494k damage over 20 seconds, my stand-still single target rotation needs to do:

494k damage / (30% increase * 40 seconds) = 41166 dps.

So assuming that 30% haste gives you 30% damage means I need to maintain 41166 dps using my regular single target rotation. I think this is possible. However, 30% haste doesn't necessarily translate into 30% more damage. A slightly more realistic number like 20% gives me the following:

494k damage / (20% increase * 40 seconds) = 61750 dps

I'm almost certain that I can't do 61.7k dps standing still firing away just running my regular rotation.

So I guess I'm left with two questions:
A) Is there something horrendously wrong with the way I'm mathing it out in my head?
B) Is there a way I could sim these two things? My issue is that I can't/don't know how to set it to only use my trinket during ascendance, and that there's no way for me to sim having skull banner up during ascendance.

EDIT: I feel like I'm also favoring the EM scenario because after ascendance, there's still 5 seconds of EM up for the regular rotation, which would cancel out 5 seconds of time. That means I should be dividing by 35 rather than 40?
Edited by Azloran on 10/22/2012 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/22/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Azloran
B) Is there a way I could sim these two things?

Yes. Simulationcraft allows for if modifiers in the rotation. You could tell it to use EM only when Ascendance is up or about to be up.

10/22/2012 11:42 AMPosted by Azloran
This is assuming that the Ascendance at 6 minutes is helped by heroism for the execute phase.

Not sure that that's necessarily an assumption you could make fight in/fight out. It also means you're comparing 2 completely different situations in your napkin math here, which is one where you get heroism at 6 minutes and one where you don't. As such it's not really a valid comparison because you're not keeping each variable the same between the two comparisons.

If you get a heroism at 6 minutes in both then the 4th EM is either delayed or significantly weakened by the heroism in the "use EM on cooldown" situation which almost defeats the purpose of using it on cooldown anyways. A better way of doing it might be to extend the fight to 9 minutes so that you can include that heroism for the last Ascendance in both while not having the issue you just had. 0-2-4-6-8 v 0-3-6-8.

For the rest of it, for some reason I'm struggling to figure out where you pulled 40 seconds from.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
I'll look into simming the 9 minute fight after work. The heroism wouldn't matter much because I was directly comparing the benefits rather than looking at overall fight DPS.

I get 40 seconds because of this:
1) 20 seconds from the extra EM in the "use EM on cooldown" case
2) 20 seconds from the EM when the hasted Ascendance is happening

So in the 0-2-4-6-8 scenario, you'd get the first 20 seconds from EM @ 4 minutes which is the "extra" EM. And you get the second 20 seconds from the EM @ 2 minutes, which is an EM that's happening, but has less benefit than an EM during Ascendance.

My edit was that for #2, it should be 15 seconds rather than 20 because there is an extra 5 seconds after the hasted Ascendance that would cancel out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]