MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

(Sticky)

90 Draenei Shaman
Non-upgraded. The upgrades should keep the values approximately the same. In my gear the difference in value between RoY+2 & Cosmos Heroic + 2 was ~650 dps, which is close enough to the 750 displayed in there that you could easily say there's no tangible difference in the difference.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Im interested in determining which trinket is better between a 2/2 Normal Essence of Terror vs a 2/2 Heroic Light of Cosmos. Item level would obviously be better with Cosmos but will the dps? Rather not spend the valor only to find out it is not an upgrade.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Simmed for your gear and it puts H Light up by 800 dps.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
02/11/2013 07:51 PMPosted by Gistwiki
Simmed for your gear and it puts H Light up by 800 dps.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
By the way, love this guide! I would like to Award Gistwiki 20 AWESOME POINTS!

Spend them well!

(u^.^)b
Reply Quote
87 Orc Shaman
When you pop ascendence, for single target dps, do you just spam lava burst? Is there no point in lava beam? Or is lava beam just for aoe?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/18/2013 08:45 PMPosted by Plasmacore
When you pop ascendence, for single target dps, do you just spam lava burst? Is there no point in lava beam? Or is lava beam just for aoe?

Just for AoE. Only spam da lava bursts (unless it's LFR/Normal wind lord, then pop it at the beginning and LAVA BEAM ALL THE THINGS!)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Hey guys I just have a few quistions on fully optimizing myself.

I currently have Sixteen-Fanged Crown upgraded and Shoulders of Empyreal Focus upgraded and Firebird's Cuirass In my bags collecting dust.

I have Firebird's Headpiece, Firebird's Shoulderwraps, and Mail of Screaming Secrets on now, and I was wondering if you guys think it would be a bigger dps increase if i drop the 4 piece for the two heroic pieces i have upgraded and normal chest
Edited by Bråve on 2/20/2013 11:47 PM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Just looking at the pieces I'd have to guess no. It's close enough that you'd probably be better off simming it just to be sure though. There shouldn't be an appreciable difference in damage either way though.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Question about simming and DPET for ele.

I always considered DPET to be the way that a person would figure out what they wanted to do in terms of a priority. However, I'm confused about the AoE rotation, which when simmed, has DPET's for me as follows:

1) Lava Beam - 435310
2) Thunderstorm - 245098
3) Chain Lightning - 175929
4) Earthquake - 140963

Knowing this, how is it possible that you would ever want to cast earthquake? These are all purely damaging abilities, so I just can't wrap my head around how earthquake would increase your DPS (by about 1% according to the sim). Is there something I'm misunderstanding about DPET?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
How many targets did you sim it on? (Looks like 8.)

In 5.2 though, the answer is never because your current chain lightning DPET becomes your current Lava Beam DPET and the Lava Beam DPET increases by ~20%, and I'm fairly sure we're looking at bumping upon the AoE damage cap for EQ for it to match that.

Edit: Looking at the damage in the sim compared to my logs last week, it seems like the numbers on EQ in simc are being lowballed. It's showing a max tick crit of 10,170 over 2 sims of 25k iterations and a max hit of 3,927 in the same set in BiS gear.

Looking at my Wind Lord logs last week (was screwing around with EQ) my lowest hit was 3,885 with a max hit of 5,552 and a minimum crit of 10,060 and a maximum crit of 17,811.
Edited by Gistwiki on 2/21/2013 10:50 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
How many targets did you sim it on? (Looks like 8.)

In 5.2 though, the answer is never because your current chain lightning DPET becomes your current Lava Beam DPET and the Lava Beam DPET increases by ~20%, and I'm fairly sure we're looking at bumping upon the AoE damage cap for EQ for it to match that.

8. I was trying to maximize EQ damage, but even with this case, the DPET of EQ is a bit below that of CL. However, the sim says that in the profile with EQ, I do about 1% more damage than the profile without it.

Agreed in 5.2, EQ will be 100% irrelevant.

Checked EQ numbers as well for me. Sim says average tick is 3239 and average crit is 8417. WoL says average tick 4332 and average crit 11070.

Is the sim output taking into account this discrepancy, but the DPET calculation isn't? I feel like that since EQ doesn't do anything except for damage, DPET should tell me the proper priority, but it doesn't do it right in this case.

Edit: Fixed a number.
Edited by Azloran on 2/21/2013 11:26 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/21/2013 11:05 AMPosted by Azloran
Is the sim output taking into account this discrepancy, but the DPET calculation isn't? I feel like that since EQ doesn't do anything except for damage, DPET should tell me the proper priority, but it doesn't do it right in this case.

If the damage is in there wrong, the DPET will come out wrong. In this case it looks like there's something wrong with how EQ damage is calculated in the sim.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Gist, I'd really hate to ask but could you sim me and tell me what stat weights you get when/if you have the time?

Last time I did it, I got weird results. I did one with the elite (skill) setting and got 1.47 crit, 1.32 haste, 1.55 mastery. Then another go at good(skill) settings and got 1.54 crit, 1.39 haste, 1.50 mastery. This was a different weapon H Amber shaper scalpel.

I wonder if I should just unforge everything then run the sim, then reforge.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Hehe. When you start getting those results start using the reforge plot option to determine how your reforging should go. Reforge amount 1000, step amount 200. Haste and Mastery. Weights will continue to be weird for you for awhile.

1.57 Mastery
1.52 Crit
1.35 Haste

Yeah. Reforge Plot away. Weights are going to be weird for you for awhile.
Edited by Gistwiki on 2/27/2013 3:44 AM PST
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Alrighty, thank you much Gist. :)
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Priest
09/20/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Gistwiki
while Windwalk will be useful in anti-snaring situations (mostly PvP, but there may be some PvE applications).

The best application of this is the mass petrification effect on the guys leading to Elegon and Will of the Emperor in Mogu'Shan Vaults. Windwalk clears all stacks of the debuff. It's just a shame it's one per minute.

Thanks for the guide!
Edited by Feythylan on 2/27/2013 9:30 AM PST
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
02/27/2013 09:30 AMPosted by Feythylan
while Windwalk will be useful in anti-snaring situations (mostly PvP, but there may be some PvE applications).

The best application of this is the mass petrification effect on the guys leading to Elegon and Will of the Emperor in Mogu'Shan Vaults. Windwalk clears all stacks of the debuff. It's just a shame it's one per minute.

Thanks for the guide!

Don't forget the slow from Petrification on Stone Guards man :<
Reply Quote
80 Undead Rogue
So Gist, with the patch hitting this week would it be worth it to dump vp on upgrading Heroic EoT or would it be better just to save it for the new stuff coming out?
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Upgrade the trinket... even if you clear normal all the way theres only 2 real trinkets we will use from ToT as for the valor rep trinket it is good but you are better off getting the neck from the valor rep
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]