MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

90 Troll Shaman
03/04/2013 09:06 AMPosted by Kaoes
Upgrade the trinket... even if you clear normal all the way theres only 2 real trinkets we will use from ToT as for the valor rep trinket it is good but you are better off getting the neck from the valor rep

It's only a 250 VP difference (upgrading vs. buying the new trinket), and the new trinket is 5 ilevels better. You could get the neck in both cases.

I would suggest waiting and buying the trinket, then getting trinket + neck.

For me, I'm going trinket + ring to replace a 489.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Aigtht, ty's for the input guys. :)
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
http://www.totemspot.com/vb/entry.php?b=82 - 5.2 information. I'll update everything slowly as I get the time for it.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Can someone look at my character and tell me about what single target dps I should be doing without CDs?

Because with just lightning shield, flametongue weapon, and my 320 alch flask I can't seem to break 50k dps. :(
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
No Ascendance, no EM, no PE/FET, no raid buffs, no potions, no stormlash, no heroism, no food, no flask (simc doesn't support the old alchy flask anymore,) only buffs you can provide (10% SP, 5% haste, Mastery.)

Note sure why you would possibly think that your overall dps # without any of that is even a remote indicator of how you should be doing, but your average dps with those paramaters should be ~41.5k with your short-period burst maxing between 55 & 60k.

With everything you're looking at ~72.5k dps on average with short-period burst of over 200k.
Edited by Gistwiki on 3/11/2013 9:19 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Gist, I have two somewhat-related silly questions I've wondered about for a while now that I figured you would know:

1. If my Mastery or EotE procs on an Elemental Blast cast, does it refresh the time on the buff, or can it give me more than one buff, or neither?

2. Does our Mastery and EotE ONLY proc off the original cast (for a possible total of 3 casts) or can one/both of them proc off of each other (for a total of 4+ total casts)?

Thanks in advance mate!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Shaman
Hey Gist, before the buff to the tier 15 4 piece bonus, I was seeing a lot of talk showing that it would be preferable to use 2p + better itemized non tier pieces, but do you know if theres been any work done into figuring out which would be preferable now that its 50% better?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
1. If my Mastery or EotE procs on an Elemental Blast cast, does it refresh the time on the buff, or can it give me more than one buff, or neither?

I'm actually not sure on that one. I'm like 99% sure that Mastery doesn't do it, but I'd have to test for Echo. I've never noticed a double buff, so if Echo does proc an extra buff it'd be refreshing it.

2. Does our Mastery and EotE ONLY proc off the original cast (for a possible total of 3 casts) or can one/both of them proc off of each other (for a total of 4+ total casts)?

Both. EoTE is more or less a direct copy of the old Legendary proc. It's technically possible, but also only something you'll see once every 10000 casts of the spell or so.

Hey Gist, before the buff to the tier 15 4 piece bonus, I was seeing a lot of talk showing that it would be preferable to use 2p + better itemized non tier pieces, but do you know if theres been any work done into figuring out which would be preferable now that its 50% better?

Like before it'll be fight-duration dependent, but the general having the 4-pc should be better than not having it.

You'd use Chest/Legs as tier pieces till Ra'den and then switch to Gloves/Shoulders if you're only using 2-pc. You'd use the helm as your OS piece till Ra'den and then switch to the Chest once it's available with the 4-pc.
Edited by Gistwiki on 3/11/2013 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Orc Shaman
Clearly you should load your raid with 4 warriors and then the 4set becomes amazing :O
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Clearly you should load your raid with 4 warriors and then the 4set becomes amazing :O

Well played good sir. Well played.
Reply Quote
18 Pandaren Priest
This assumes you have two to four targets:
1) If cleaving use normal single-target rotation and substitute Chain Lightning for Lightning Bolt
.2) If AoE'ing cast Chain Lightning (either glyphed or unglyphed) on the highest target
This assumes you have five or more targets:
1) Cast Magma Totem before the AoE phase begins or of there are 6+ targets.
If you have Totemic Projection, use it to reposition the totem for maximum effect
2) Cast Earthquake IF there are 5+ targets
3) Cast Chain Lightning
Extra notes:- Any spell not mentioned in a particular rotation is not included in that rotation.

Question - When you said spells not mentioned are not used - that means for AOE you do not use Fulmination?

Basically, you really just spam CL for all 2+ mobs, just adding magma totem and EQ when the mob packs grow to 5+?
Edited by Tainhah on 3/16/2013 10:48 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Shaman
How do you DPS without Elemental Blast? I've seen people speccing into Primal Elementalist for heavy movement fights, but how does this change the rotation? Do you start to use Unleash Elements, or just stick to Flame Shock + LB's?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Question - When you said spells not mentioned are not used - that means for AOE you do not use Fulmination?

Fulmination just isn't worth it on 5+ targets. CL will end up doing more damage at that point.

Basically, you really just spam CL for all 2+ mobs

No. Read #1 again. If you're cleaving (Read: 2-3 targets, or killing a single target in a pack of 2+ targets) you use your single target rotation and sub in CL for LB.

How do you DPS without Elemental Blast? I've seen people speccing into Primal Elementalist for heavy movement fights, but how does this change the rotation? Do you start to use Unleash Elements, or just stick to Flame Shock + LB's?

Step 1) Remove Elemental Blast from the rotation when not specced into it
Step 2) Don't add anything else to the rotation
Step 3) There is no step 3
Edited by Gistwiki on 3/17/2013 3:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
18 Pandaren Priest
Gistwiki -

Thanks for answering my questions.

To follow up - and ask another stupid question (sorry) -

For 2-4 targets - what's the dps difference between

1. CL spam
2. CL plus Fulmination
3. Single target with CL woven in.

I did my own test (with horrible gear and no skill (played enhance)) - I came out with the following ranking as far as DPS:

1. CL Plus Fulmination
2. CL spam
3. Single target with CL woven in

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Remember. If Fulmination is worth it, then in theory Lava Burst is too. If the target lives long enough for a flame shock to tick all the way down on it then Flame Shock & LvB both do more damage than ES+Fulm. The only thing you might cut out is EB or Searing at that point, as Searing's a lower DPCT and EB is only above fulm because in a single target situation you generally lose more delaying EB over delaying fulm which is simply not true in a multi-target situation.

I haven't run specific dps differences between them, but if I get some spare time and you need it I'll try to.

For 2/3 targets it'll be ST w/CL > CL + Fulm > CL for sure. At 4 CL spam may just plain ol' take it over.
Reply Quote
18 Pandaren Priest
Thanks man!
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Thanks man!

Wish I had better numbers for ya, but glad I could help ^.^
Reply Quote
100 Tauren Shaman
Quick question about breaking sets: I am part of a casual raid group (one night a week) and we made it as far as 4/6 HoF normal before ToT. We are now focussed on ToT, and likely won't be going back too soon to finish the others. As a result, I have the T14 4 set, but all from LFR. Last night I got the tier token in LFR for t15. I think that due to the item level difference it makes sense to switch immediately, even if I lose the 4 piece bonus from t14, but I would like to know what others think.

Thanks!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Don't break T14 4pc until you get T15 2pc. The T14 4pc isn't great, but is still a significant DPS increase. More than 20 ilevels or so.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Don't break T14 4pc until you get T15 2pc. The T14 4pc isn't great, but is still a significant DPS increase. More than 20 ilevels or so.

Eh. 18 ilevels is 140 int on a ring or neck, and ~250 int on a chest/legs/helm. At ~4 dps per point of int it'll be about equal if he replaces helm/chest for new pieces when accounting for secondary stats.

That much said, if it's not both the helm and the chest (1 tier/1 OS or 2 OS) then it won't be worth it without the 2-pc.

Interesting find. Simc last night showed that so long as you can reforge the hit down that in normal modes Wushoolay's is the best trinket. Wu > Cha'ye > BoTH > Rep trinket.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]