MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

90 Pandaren Hunter
:*(
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Hunter
Gistwiki told me he hates you, and that you smell like you have poop clung to your fur all the time.

GET IN CONTACT WITH YOUR CHARMIN BEAR COUSIN AND ASK FOR BETTER TOILET PAPER

Gist tells me you sound like Squidward Irl :O
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Hey guys,

I was wondering about an ideal opener with the new legendary meta. Is it worth procing the haste buff before applying FS for extra ticks/sec and hence more LB? Also, is it worth reapplying FS when it still has plenty time to run when the haste proc occurs and FS had been applied without the extra haste?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I need to add this into the guide, but since the 30% buff can add 3-4 ticks to FS, which is about 45-60k extra damage.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Hey guys,

I was wondering about an ideal opener with the new legendary meta. Is it worth procing the haste buff before applying FS for extra ticks/sec and hence more LB? Also, is it worth reapplying FS when it still has plenty time to run when the haste proc occurs and FS had been applied without the extra haste?

Thanks for any help you guys can offer.

I need to add this into the guide, but since the 30% buff can add 3-4 ticks to FS, which is about 45-60k extra damage.

Assuming it's not worth holding off refreshing Flame Shock to wait on it, but is worth refreshing a couple ticks more before the duration expires?
Edited by Gistwiki on 5/13/2013 4:18 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
Just a quick question.

Given my current gear, should I be going for more haste, or should I stick with stacking mastery?

I've had some fairly good results with the stats I have now. But just wondering if going for more haste would increase numbers.

Thanks in advance.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Depends on the content you're doing. If it's more single-target centered than AoE centered then it's likely that you'll see increases switching to haste. If the opposite is true, then you're likely better off sticking to mastery.
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
Right now I have Breath, Wooshalay, and Volatile Talisman.

Out of those, Breath/Woosh sims the highest. Does this sound correct?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Yes. I have those 3 AND Cha'ye. Breath/Wush sims highest for me as well. The general strength appears to be Wush > Breath > Cha'ye > VToSPA.
Edited by Gistwiki on 5/15/2013 9:12 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Draenei Shaman
How do the LFR trinks rank up against each other and VToSPA? Haven't had any luck with coins/drops yet. But I have the VT and LFR Cha-Ye's atm. I wouldn't use much of the hit for Wush, and I currently have a mastery build with the 4 set. Still have a shot at LFR Breath this week. I'll sim when I get it, but if anyone's got any immediate information for me to consider, that'd be awesome.

Also. Would it be worth dropping 4 set for a heroic piece? I could drop my tier hands for heroic Ji-Kun gloves. More stats, but I'd drop the four set.

I feel like if I got breath, I could use it, drop the four set for more stats, and focus a haste build and maybe see some more damage. But until I get breath and can sim, I won't know for sure.

Also, I don't have my meta yet. I'm sure that's important information. 2 secrets away. Q.Q

Thanks! And when I get everything and have a chance to sim, I'll post the results as well for anyone that just so happens to be in somewhat of a similar predicament.
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Shaman
I'm still messing around with my builds for both resto and elemental. I noticed that elemental mastery has a 1.5 minute cooldown and with the glyph for fire element totem they line up for bursts. Does the Haste increase from elemental mastery affect the fire element totem's attack speed like ancestral swiftness does?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/16/2013 10:30 PMPosted by Umira
How do the LFR trinks rank up against each other and VToSPA?

Not really sure. Haven't compared the 502 versions because I got absurdly lucky and had every 522 trinket within 2 weeks of having purchased the SPA one.

Also. Would it be worth dropping 4 set for a heroic piece? I could drop my tier hands for heroic Ji-Kun gloves. More stats, but I'd drop the four set.

No. The 4-pc on its own is worth ~1600 dps, and a 13 ilvl jump on a low-budget tier piece like hands likely won't bridge the gap. Sim it if you want to be sure, but almost certainly no for a single piece. If you got two I'd say it's probably worth it though.

I'm still messing around with my builds for both resto and elemental. I noticed that elemental mastery has a 1.5 minute cooldown and with the glyph for fire element totem they line up for bursts. Does the Haste increase from elemental mastery affect the fire element totem's attack speed like ancestral swiftness does?

Yes, however the big thing to note is that Ancestral Swiftness is stronger for the fire elemental still because the elemental gains the 10% melee haste rather than the 5% spell haste off of AS.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Yes, however the big thing to note is that Ancestral Swiftness is stronger for the fire elemental still because the elemental gains the 10% melee haste rather than the 5% spell haste off of AS.

Actually I know this was true earlier in the patch, but myself and a few other ele shaman have been simming that with T15 4Pc the best match is always Echo of Elements. PE and EleBlast are your choice.

I also just saw this, dated 4 days ago, which jives with my own gear's sims from binkenstein on Totemspot:

Some initial results. EB & PE with Echo are roughly equal, UF + Echo is ~ 1.4% behind.
PE or EB with EM or AS is at most 2.5% behind, with UF combinations at worst 3.7% behind.

Source http://www.totemspot.com/vb/showthread.php?t=6993

This is 5.3 PTR. But I'm seeing it for myself even right now. Echo is highest, regardless of Pe or Eleblast.

I know you were not telling him AS/PE is best, just wanted to point this out.
Edited by Oikodomeo on 5/17/2013 1:10 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
05/17/2013 01:05 PMPosted by Oikodomeo
Actually I know this was true earlier in the patch, but myself and a few other ele shaman have been simming that with T15 4Pc the best match is always Echo of Elements. PE and EleBlast are your choice.

I haven't played around with an AS sim since I got my meta, so I wouldn't be surprised to see that as the case. Is it the T15-4 that causes this or the legendary meta?
Edited by Gistwiki on 5/17/2013 1:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
As I do not have the legendary meta (sigh), I'd say its just T15-4pc that causes it.

The more interesting question will be what will happen to stat priorities.

Right now most higher geared ele shaman are finding Mastery > Haste due to GCD capping and taking advantage of our AOE cleave (since mastery much better for Chain Lightning). It's at a point where a full mastery build is virtually equal Single-target DPS to a full haste build, but you gain a LOT of AOE DPS by reforging to mastery.

But when Lava Burst gets its cast time increase, I suspect we'll be forced to choose between either. Full haste to maximize single, full mastery for AOE, will the nod to full haste build as that increases the potency of the 4piece bonus.

Just a guess for now though. Wondering whether you've done any numbers on the imminent 5.3?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
As I do not have the legendary meta (sigh), I'd say its just T15-4pc that causes it.

Interesting. I wonder if simc has Echo proc the 4-pc.

The more interesting question will be what will happen to stat priorities.

Haste jumps up ahead significantly. Purge had sims run for elem with a properly modified simc the night the buffs came out.

http://dread-gaming.com/simc/ele_mop_59.html - pre-buff
http://dread-gaming.com/simc/ele_mop_60.html - post-buff

Right now most higher geared ele shaman are finding Mastery > Haste due to GCD capping and taking advantage of our AOE cleave (since mastery much better for Chain Lightning). It's at a point where a full mastery build is virtually equal Single-target DPS to a full haste build, but you gain a LOT of AOE DPS by reforging to mastery.

eeyup. Technically a haste build leads to marginally better single target, but significantly better AoE stems from a mastery build. With this buff the difference should become more defined as haste will most certainly be stronger for single-target now.
Edited by Gistwiki on 5/18/2013 4:22 AM PDT
Reply Quote
84 Goblin Shaman
Hey, new to elemental shamans. I have a nubbish question, I think.

I noticed that Unleash Elements isn't part of our rotation at all.

What are your suggestions for how to use it out of our normal rotation / in extremely specific scenarios with benefit?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
What are your suggestions for how to use it out of our normal rotation / in extremely specific scenarios with benefit?

1) If you can hit a critter with it right before a boss fight starts.
2) If you don't have UL glyphed then it's a benefit to use if Shocks/SWG are on cd (this one becomes invalid tomorrow)
3) If you have Unleashed Fury talented
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
E) Frequently Asked Questions
Q) If I take Primal Elementalist when should I use Empower?
A) Empower has two functions: give Restoration Shaman something to take Primal Elementalist for, and to give you a damage buff when your Fire Elemental can't hit anything. The only way you'll be able to use Empower all the time is if you can somehow do eight times your average DPS for the entire duration. eg: in T14H gear the Primal Fire Elemental deals about 40,000 dps. You'll need that to be 5% of your output (or 800,000 dps) for Empower to be useful all the time.

I'm just curious - this is really just for straight DPS... but sometimes I'll channel my Fire Elemental, pop AG, and then get the increased damage and healing. I'll cancel the channel once AG is up. Would the additional damage plus healing matter in this type of calculation? It can really help out some tight situations.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
If the extra 10% damage really makes a difference then sure, but I'm hard-pressed to think of a situation where that would make a difference that wouldn't have you wiping to the problems that made it necessary before AG is back up.
Reply Quote
84 Goblin Shaman
05/20/2013 05:12 AMPosted by Gistwiki

1) If you can hit a critter with it right before a boss fight starts.
2) If you don't have UL glyphed then it's a benefit to use if Shocks/SWG are on cd (this one becomes invalid tomorrow)
3) If you have Unleashed Fury talented

Hmmm it feels like the developers should do something to make it more beneficial for elemental, considering unleashed fury is behind the other two 90 talents + unleashed elements not worth the gcd.

I have a question, however. Does Ascendance's Lava Beam benefit from Unleashed Elements? Not necessarily that the gcd makes it a dps increase to be worth using, I just don't have the cooldown yet and I am curious Unleashed Elements' mechanics apply to lava beam.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]