MoP 5.4 Elemental Guide: Zap that Orc!

100 Draenei Shaman
much appreciated :)
Reply Quote
100 Troll Shaman
First and foremost, thank you. Great work.

09/20/2012 03:23 PMPosted by Gistwiki
Conductivity may be preferable for more consistent healing over longer periods of time, although the healing output will be lower than the other talents it doesn't have a cooldown limitation to it. This will allow for approx 400k extra healing spread over those in your Healing Rain each cast, but you also sacrifice ~15% of your DPS time to maintain it. Can be used in discussion with your Healing team to add in some extra healing, just watch your mana use and try to cast Healing Rain with Elemental Focus procs.

I'm not sure that I'm understanding your math here. It's unclear how many targets are being damaged. In a single target (damage) target example, you're suggesting that the Shaman is dealing 800k damage in Lightning Bolts only over approximately 10 seconds. It's a tough pill for me to swallow that a Shaman is going to be able to sustain 80k dps purely with Lightning Bolt on one target any times soon. Lava Burst, Non-Earth Shocks, Searing or Fire Elemental Totem, and Elemental Blast (and I'm pretty sure on Fulmination, too) do not contribute to the bonuses, but they make up the overwhelming majority of our damage done -- none of these contribute to the healing. This is why I'm having trouble understanding the 400k in healing (especially with the dps time loss -- which to me suggests an unchanged rotation).

The only situation that I've really found Conductivity to be useful is in 5-Mans when Chain Lightning spam is possible and few players are within the Healing Rain. This has proven to be useful especially when I've been able to cast the Healing Rain just as the pull is beginning. The following point is purely speculative, but Conductivity may be a talent of choice in a Challenge modes due to its usefulness with Chain Lightning in a small group setting.

With any spell other than Chain Lightning, it has been my experience, that Conductivity's healing has just been trivial.

Of these three talents, your choices are going to be between Astral Shift & Stone Bulwark Totem. It essentially comes down to whether you're facing a single or short duration of high damage, or a longer phase of lower damage.

Due to Nature's Guardian's passive increase of my maximum and current health, I've come 180 degrees on the talent and have found it to be quite useful in a raid setting, especially while learning new content.

The fairly substantial temporary health boost feels a bit like an absorb (that unfortunately can only be triggered after a damage threshold has been passed). The cooldown is quite short. In my own testing (as an average and not-stellar player), it has often given me the bump needed to survive until a real heal lands. Due to its non-interference with Earth Totems, and its non-interference with DPS time due to a lack of GCD attached to the effect, it has been a nice perk. For me, in most cases I'll either be alternating between Astral Shift and AG in raids or any combination of the three in other settings. I did really enjoy Stone Bulwark Totem while leveling.

Ultimately, this tier really does feel like a to each his or her own kind of thing. I know that math may say otherwise, but it is very tricky to math out survival since survival is often directly related to human error. Nature's Guardian can't be screwed up, and it is often there when you need it.

Again, awesome work overall. Thank you for your time.
Edited by Bosako on 9/21/2012 1:34 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Conductivity is going to be the subject of a hybrid dps/healer experiment by someone in the next month or two.

As for NG, it may be useful, but the thing about AG is that it fills that high DR cooldown that is useful for soaking high damage abilities in raids. I use it to help soak on Ultraxion, for example.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I'd like to thank everyone who had a hand in creating this guide. Its great to have people still support our community even when there is a large quantity or crying and fear.

<3 Gist

Edit: Mandatory reported for sticky.
Edited by Unthir on 9/21/2012 6:47 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/20/2012 03:48 PMPosted by Amaravati
Liked and requested sticky!!!!!
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
09/20/2012 08:55 PMPosted by Chillbronies
oh damn that's nice

Thanks, I work out...

a lot.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/20/2012 03:22 PMPosted by Gistwiki
C)Utility Spells

Can you guys believe that Gist forgot to hit the space bar here? Unrequesting sticky till this massive issue is resolved.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Just in case someone else wasn't able to tell, the above post is sarcasm & Liax actually wholeheartedly supports the guide :<
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
#downwithgistwiki
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
Someone reported Liax's post?

Wow. Lol.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
09/21/2012 10:06 PMPosted by Chillbronies
#downwithgistwiki
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Someone reported Liax's post?

Wow. Lol.

I know right? >.>

Sometimes you can tell when someone's not really serious. This is one of those times.
Reply Quote
90 Troll Shaman
Maybe I really do hate you gistwiki. You aren't wearing the sentry totem elite gear and I have high standards except when it comes to girls.
Edited by Liax on 9/21/2012 10:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/21/2012 10:26 PMPosted by Liax
Maybe I really do hate you gistwiki. You aren't wearing the sentry totem elite gear and I have high standards except when it comes to girls.

I am above petty transmog requirements :<

And I sold my HT11 & am too lazy to farm a new set.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
The way I am reading the single target rotation as an opener is we almost save Searing Totem for last instead of right of the bat now? Also I thought if we specced into Elemental Blast it had a higher priority than LvB no?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
09/22/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Abstracted
The way I am reading the single target rotation as an opener is we almost save Searing Totem for last instead of right of the bat now? Also I thought if we specced into Elemental Blast it had a higher priority than LvB no?

I should probably put a note in about dropping it before combat, but yes, Searing not being up for a few seconds will have a minimal effect on DPS.

No, LvB > EB.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Shaman
I completely forgot about "Relic of Yu'Long"!! I was going to set my mind on "Light of the Cosmos", but if fighting Elegon is anything like fighting Alagon, then no thanks.

Of the two trinkets, which would be easier to obtain; Relic of Yu'Long, or Light of the Cosmos?
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Of the two trinkets, which would be easier to obtain; Relic of Yu'Long, or Light of the Cosmos?

Which was easier to obtain in 4.0 - Darkmoon Card: Volcano, or Heart of Ignacious?

It'll be Relic of Yu'Long, especially if you have friends with Inscription.

09/22/2012 12:18 AMPosted by Abstracted
The way I am reading the single target rotation as an opener is we almost save Searing Totem for last instead of right of the bat now?

Have Searing out before combat begins. It'll pick up on what you're attacking almost immediately as it appears to check about once every 3-5 seconds.
Edited by Gistwiki on 9/22/2012 11:57 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]