Modest Profits from Alchemy

100 Gnome Priest
So I just maxed out Alchemy, in the process spending all my money (I'm down to about 300-something gold, but it's not like I was planning to buy anything anyway). And I'm wondering: what are some good ways to make money with alchemy?

I'm looking for something reliable, but not too ambitious. I'm not trying to make vial of the sands here---it seems to sell for near cost on my server anyway. Besides, I'm not getting MoP for a while, so I know I won't be making the high-end, high-demand stuff. I'd just like to find some recipes that will provide a modest profit.

Truegold seems like a good option, but I'd like to find some others.

I've also just about maxed out herbalism on my druid, and she has maxed-out mining as well. So I can gather most of my reagents, if that makes a difference.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
aus
Buy mop, Wait 30 hours.

Otherwise keep an eye on the AH look for things you can sell to leveling monks. but end of expansions are never a good time for sales.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
MoP isn't really a budgetary option.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
get mop 7-day trial after it comes out and level your gathering/alchemy to 600

unfortunately alchemy is not a prof that's good at making money pre-cap. you can transmute red gems/metas, but you probably won't make too much. gathering would be way better for someone in your situation
Reply Quote
85 Human Death Knight
im not really sure there is much of anything you will be able to do for profit with alch but not MoP. Almost all reverent alch recipes are from the trainer which means everyone can make them and on top of that consumables are probably the least used profession related craftables used.

I dont do much of any non max level profession stuff so its not exactly my area of expertise but to me it breaks down to basically 3 things; gathering, glyphs and transmog gear. Gathering is pretty self explanatory, if you were to drop alch for inscription you could learn the vast majority of glyphs without MoP. Transmog is something ive never really messed with so I don't really know where the desirable patterns are from or how good it really is.
Reply Quote
44 Draenei Paladin
@Icpitl - acquire Transmute Water to Air (Vanilla recipe sold by an NPC outside of Scholomance). Buy or farm essence of water and transmute them (daily CD). Clicking that button will make you a couple hundred or more, depending on your server's prices.

Potion of Illusion and Potion of Treasure Finding might sell decently into MoP. Illusion kinda depends on whether people on your server care about fun items. Treasure Finding is something that farmers will still use as Cata mats become more rare, but are still needed for leveling professions.

Arcanite always sells and it has no CD.

Once volatiles become scarcer, after people dump their stocks, you could check prices to see which to transmute.

Just off the top of my head, but these will make you some decent gold - nothing extravagant, but it adds up after a while. All of these also involve minimal effort.

I hope you can get MoP soon - if it made me excited after a year of not caring, it's gotta be good :)
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Bananawafer:
get mop 7-day trial after it comes out and level your gathering/alchemy to 600

That couldn't possibly work...could it? I mean, wouldn't I be nerfed back down to Cataclysm levels when the trial expired?

Bananawafer:
unfortunately alchemy is not a prof that's good at making money pre-cap. you can transmute red gems/metas, but you probably won't make too much. gathering would be way better for someone in your situation

I know. I debated which profession to take up for a long time. In the end it came down to tailoring and alchemy, and I decided that I'd go with alchemy because I wasn't going to make much money anyway, so I might as well have a +300 intellect trinket.

So I know my druid, who is 525 mining and...um...482 herbalism (502 with the spade and gnomish army knife) is going to be my main money-maker. Especially since the herb prices on Farstriders seem to be very high at the moment. I'm just looking for something I could do with alchemy also, if there is anything, for the days when I don't feel like gathering.

Zachknight:
im not really sure there is much of anything you will be able to do for profit with alch but not MoP. Almost all reverent alch recipes are from the trainer which means everyone can make them and on top of that consumables are probably the least used profession related craftables used.

Transmutes may be my best option, then. Truegold always sells, and someone bought one of the transmuted gems I made while leveling almost immediately after I put it up (though that may well have been a fluke). I should look into finding things that sell cheaply but can be transmuted into something expensive. Pyrite ore is often absurdly cheap on my server---I remember finding it very frustrating as a miner---so, again, truegold.

Zachknight:
I dont do much of any non max level profession stuff so its not exactly my area of expertise but to me it breaks down to basically 3 things; gathering, glyphs and transmog gear. Gathering is pretty self explanatory, if you were to drop alch for inscription you could learn the vast majority of glyphs without MoP. Transmog is something ive never really messed with so I don't really know where the desirable patterns are from or how good it really is.

I actually considered all of this, with the help of others, in a recent thread in this subforum, and in the end I came to the conclusion that alchemy was best for me.

Without MoP, gathering is definitely the biggest money-maker for me---it just wasn't a good option for this character. I already had a level-85 druid, and druids are by far the best gatherers. So my druid will probably be making most of my money.

I seriously considered inscription, and I probably would have done it, but for two things. First, it got a huge nerf when they made it so you learned glyphs permanently, so each glyph could only be sold once to each character. Second, inscription is by far the most cutthroat profession. It's dominated by obsessive lunatics who monitor their auctions constantly and continually undercut each other. I decided it wasn't worth it.

Producing transmog gear would have required tailoring, which was my second choice after alchemy. I almost went with tailoring, as I could have made some money with it, selling bags and such. (I hadn't considered transmog gear, but I guess that would have been a possibility also.) But in the end, since I wasn't going to make much money from either alchemy or tailoring, and both seemed about equally fun, I decided to go with the one that gave the +300 intellect. Furthermore, I did some figgerin', and based on my estimates it would have cost about five times as much to level tailoring as alchemy. And that's not even taking into account the fact that I was able to gather most of my own herbs, whereas I would have had to buy a lot of cloth on the auction house.

So I'm pretty satisfied with alchemy overall, and not looking to maximize its profitability. This thread is more about "I have alchemy; what are some useful things I can do with it?"
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Ygraene:
@Icpitl - acquire Transmute Water to Air (Vanilla recipe sold by an NPC outside of Scholomance). Buy or farm essence of water and transmute them (daily CD). Clicking that button will make you a couple hundred or more, depending on your server's prices.

Right now EoW is selling for about 20g, and EoA for about 50. But even that 30g seems pretty substantial to me, and I've seen lower prices for EoW. So thank you; this seems useful.

Ygraene:
Arcanite always sells and it has no CD.

Once volatiles become scarcer, after people dump their stocks, you could check prices to see which to transmute.

More transmutes....

So basically, good ways of making small amounts of money with non-maxed alchemy are:
- crafting fun items (potion of illusion, etc.)
- transmuting elements
- transmuting metals (arcanite, truegold, etc.)

I need to go read about transmutation recipes. Actually I need to go to sleep, but, eh.

Ygraene:
I hope you can get MoP soon - if it made me excited after a year of not caring, it's gotta be good :)

I'll probably get it eventually. It's just that right now, I don't need it for the game to be interesting. I only started playing a few months ago, and there's still so much I haven't done. I got WotLK and Cataclysm because they were on sale and because I wanted to fly in Azeroth. But there's nothing like that in MoP, just more content, and I feel overwhelmed with all the content I already have access to.
Reply Quote
44 Draenei Paladin
Do me a favor and check BoA scroll prices, especially Agility to 1H and 2H. If they're selling for a substantial price, you could stick Enchanting on a level 60 or so alt and grind Timbermaw rep for recipes. With Air that cheap, that could be some nice, easy gold assuming BoA scroll prices aren't super low as well.
Reply Quote
1 Human Warrior
That couldn't possibly work...could it? I mean, wouldn't I be nerfed back down to Cataclysm levels when the trial expired?

high level twinks (70+) do it all the time. it works.

but yeah if you want to make money with pre-cap alch you pretty much just transmute. all potions/elixirs (including treasure finding) have an mop version.

a good site to check prices is https://theunderminejournal.com/
Reply Quote
89 Night Elf Rogue
You're pretty much gonna be catering only to twinks since you won't be able to make end game items without the expansion. Maybe your server has a high demand for twink potions and gems and such, but I wouldn't bet on banking a hell of a lot from it.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Ygraene:
Do me a favor and check BoA scroll prices, especially Agility to 1H and 2H. If they're selling for a substantial price, you could stick Enchanting on a level 60 or so alt and grind Timbermaw rep for recipes. With Air that cheap, that could be some nice, easy gold assuming BoA scroll prices aren't super low as well.

Unfortunately, I am currently unable to express the depth of my hatred for the enchanting profession. I've tried to level it three times, lost more money than I want to think about, and was terminally bored besides.

Also, there was only one essence of air for sale when I checked, so its price could have been anomalous.

Bananawafer:
a good site to check prices is https://theunderminejournal.com/

I've been using the Undermine Journal for a week or two and have grown to love it.

Acaudus:
You're pretty much gonna be catering only to twinks since you won't be able to make end game items without the expansion. Maybe your server has a high demand for twink potions and gems and such, but I wouldn't bet on banking a hell of a lot from it.

I don't expect to make that much. But based on what I'm hearing here, transmutation should provide a modest profit, which is what I was looking for.
Reply Quote
44 Draenei Paladin
Little gnome, Enchanting might be boring (oh, those BC days when I relentlessly farmed BoP recipes), but people will always roll alts, and once you've used heirlooms, you never look back. But heirlooms need enchants, and BoA enchants can be provided by a medium-level character.

I'd say that since they gave us vellums, leveling Enchanting has been positively pleasant, since you can do it strategically and make a profit. I do remember the brutal days when you had to enchant some trash bracers 150 times and your heart broke looking at those mats going down the drain.

Anyway, I would go Transmute Master if you haven't already and do elemental transmutes, arcanites, volatile transmutes if prices go up, etc.

Btw, Potion of Luck (MoP Treasure potion) is for Pandaria zones only. Anyone looking to farm embersilk will need Cata Treasure potions.
Reply Quote
100 Gnome Priest
Oh, I'm sure enchanting is profitable, but I just can't deal with it.

And I don't think I can do transmute master yet. It requires you to transmute and turn in six bars of living steel, which I can't do without MoP. It's possible that I could cheat and buy some off the auction house, but it's going to take a while for their prices to go down to where I can afford them. Right now the average price of living steel on US servers Alliance-side is about 10,000 gold.

And the treasure potion suggestion might be good; thank you.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]