Display driver failing!

Yeah I've tried everything, I've uninstalled and reinstalled at lower versions of nvidia and then to the one before and now 306.23 still happening. I've tried overclocking underclocking by like 50 still nothing. It's getting to the point where I just don't even want to level cause I usually end up dying cause of the drivers failing. I really hope blizzard can fix this already.

I'm running a 9500 GT for my card as well as windows 7 64bit
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I think that's what happened to me too. :( And then I did a system restore and ack! Everything's all messed up. :(

So sad.

EJ :)
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Rogue
EVGA GTX 570sc
Current and previous driver versions, same thing.
Running the fan control software (that also monitors temps), nothing is pegged/overly hot or anything along those lines.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I'm having this same problem with Nvidia's 306.23 driver and an EVGA GTX 580. Never had any problem like this in WoW before. Was also having problems with the previous WHGL certified Nvidia driver.
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
You need to run a hardware monitor to make sure you are not over heating your system and causing a lot of damage . This is what i use and yes the game runs mine to hot so i had to quit playing
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html
Reply Quote
85 Worgen Mage
2 things that may or may not help

try typing this in game
/console fixedFunction 1

Then log out and back in.

It disables some of the fancier graphics, but may slow your frame rate.

To reverse type
/console fixedFunction 0

2nd, ty running in opengl mode.

Create a shortcut to wow.exe on your desktop, then change it so it looks like this

"C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe" -opengl

Try that and see if it helps
Reply Quote
85 Blood Elf Paladin
2 things that may or may not help

try typing this in game
/console fixedFunction 1

Then log out and back in.

It disables some of the fancier graphics, but may slow your frame rate.

To reverse type
/console fixedFunction 0

2nd, ty running in opengl mode.

Create a shortcut to wow.exe on your desktop, then change it so it looks like this

"C:\Program Files\World of Warcraft\Wow.exe" -opengl

Try that and see if it helps

Thanks for the tip. I figured i would try it. system did not heat up at least. Maintained 70C but i still got the black screen oh well. My time is up the 9th I was hoping something would help solve this issue before then :( I kinda miss wow but at least i have gotten a lot done around home lol
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
nVidia GTX 550 Ti, Acer Monitor

Same problem here.

This seems to be a major issue that no one knows how to fix. It only seems to do it in WoW. I've contacted nVidia and asked for help, but have yet to receive a response.

I did a complete cleaning of all old driver files; uninstalled, cleaned, then reinstalled WoW. Updated every single thing I could - still no joy.

It's not only an irritation, it's a game ending situation. I've even tried to play the game using DX9 and the lowest possible graphics settings - doesn't happen as often, but it still occurs.

We need someone to figure out what is causing this. There has to be someone out there that can figure out something......
Reply Quote
89 Human Warrior
Same issue with a Nvidia GTX580. Already lost one graphics card too this, dont want to lose a second. I can run Battlefield 3 on the highest settings possible smooth as but I cant run world of warcraft ??
Reply Quote
90 Worgen Mage
Using: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti

Been running everything just fine up until today. Had this same problem that everyone else is having - my monitor loses connection and even my sound pops and shuts off completely. A few seconds later I'll hear a split second worth of sound, and after that nothing.

There is no way to get it running again without sighing deeply and pressing the big restart button on my PC.

I've tried dusting the insides, and even took my side-cover off in hopes of solving any issues with overheating. I'm even sitting in an uncomfortably cold room. This issue keeps occurring, at least 4 or 5 times now.

Followed the typical "Delete your WTF and Cache!" rules, and updated my video card's drivers.

It IS possible that my personal repeat of this problem is on my end, I've had a few hardware problems lately - but seeing so many others with the exact same symptoms makes me question that. I don't have this issue in any other game, and this popped out of no-where today. Been playing the patches (and expansion) just fine otherwise.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
Same issue here, now that arenas have launched I'm desperate for a solution. Seemed to happen more while levelling my paladin than my shaman... no idea why but it was a substantial difference.

GTX560Ti card here.
Reply Quote
So far, I've had luck with changing DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. At the signon screen, click on System. Then, click on Advanced, and change Graphics API to DirectX 9. Hope it continues to work for me. No crashes yet.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Hunter
mega thread is here on this issue http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6413172337?page=1
Reply Quote
Try this. It worked for me. Change DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. At the sign on screen, click on System. Then, click on Advanced, and change Graphics API to DirectX 9. No crashes yet.
Reply Quote
90 Draenei Shaman
10/02/2012 07:44 PMPosted by Simon
Try this. It worked for me. Change DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. At the sign on screen, click on System. Then, click on Advanced, and change Graphics API to DirectX 9. No crashes yet.

Worked for me as well, for now. Going on 5 hours now without a crash.
Reply Quote
Try this. It worked for me. Change DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. At the sign on screen, click on System. Then, click on Advanced, and change Graphics API to DirectX 9. No crashes in 2 days.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Warrior
HEY FOLKS.......!

A friend of mine just posted this thread, I think you will find it VERY interesting. I'm willing to bet that some, if not all of you are experiencing some of your problems because of the reasons detailed in this thread.

HUGELY IMPORTANT THREAD! HUGE! Blizzard should have issued an announcement about this on DAY ONE of 5.0.4!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/6758787405
Reply Quote
Forget the overheating theory! You will waste a lot of time and effort. Something isn't playing well with DirectX 11. Change DirectX 11 to DirectX 9. At the sign on screen, click on System. Then, click on Advanced, and change Graphics API to DirectX 9. No crashes in 4 days.
Reply Quote
12 Pandaren Warrior
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2665946

This might help some of you who are getting a crash.
Reply Quote
85 Draenei Paladin
It's definitely an issue between the game and the drivers. As far as I know, a fix from either end would work.

Newest (306.63 developer) drivers for windows:
>> http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=368995 << Should be all you need.

They are developer drivers (like a director's-cut film) and not (yet) processed and guaranteed for the masses. I certainly feel more threatened by my drivers crashing and restarting multiple times a day than un-guaranteed drivers that have worked for me all day so far! I also didn't seem to be getting as serious crashes/issues as some other posts I've been reading: freezing/artifacts/system lock/even BSODS. But I figured it was my duty to at least make this information available to you guys.

If you're using more than one video card (sli) you might also want to open up Nvidia Control Panel and make sure your PhysX Processor isn't set to Auto under 3D Settings -> Set PhysX Configuration

I also noticed I got a bundle of 3D display programs and applications ("3D Vision") from one of the last few driver updates (probably 306.23). It wouldn't hurt to make sure 3D vision is disabled if you're not playing 3D (3D display/goggles/the whole 9yds).

Still testing but lemme know if this fixes it for you, too!

-PwNin'
Edited by Ibpwnin on 10/6/2012 3:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]