Warriors: How are you using your shield?

90 Human Warrior
I haven’t had too much time to practice since the recent changes to prot, but over the weekend I finally got a chance to sort out my UI and get a handle on my new rotation.

So I have some general questions on how other prot tanks are using their shields just in general. I imagine that raid bosses are going to be somewhat cut and dry- with us conserving rage and holding off on block/barrier if we’re close to the boss getting say a melee damage buff or preparing for some kind of big spell.

What about the in between times such as trash clears, scenarios, and 5-mans though?

I find myself compelled to keep Block up if I don’t specifically need to conserve it. Something deeply engrained in my play style still feels compelled to put it up when I can, though I know that’s no longer how things are supposed to be necessarily. I’ll usually use Barrier if I know that spell damage is incoming, but somehow I feel that I am underutilizing it generally. Is Barrier a better go-to shield move because of the lower cost/more universally applicable mitigation?

It seems like I’m generating plenty of rage to drop some into evening things out for healers. So how are other people playing in non-boss fights? Are you conserving your rage, throwing up your shield a lot, forgoing your shield mitigation for DPS/threat?

On the boss fight side of things, are you keeping Block up as much as possible, and then getting more calculating with it as you suspect the boss is about to hit an output spike?
Reply Quote
90 Tauren Shaman
The shield goes between you and the enemy.

Sorry, just had to.
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Paladin
Similar to the concept of a sword's 'pointy end first.' Only it's 'hold side that has handles' for a shield.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Warrior
Well mostly it goes between me and the enemy but sometimes it goes a LOT closer to my enemy and with great force, vengeance not withstanding.
Reply Quote
90 Goblin Warrior
Instead of trolling Ill answer the question lol. Outside of raid bosses, like in 5 mans for instance, I keep Block up as much as possible unless I know some spell dmg is incoming
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
09/24/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Balson
My rotation hasn't changed at all except for my Shield Block/trink macro is now different. I don't even use that anymore, I just use barrier and I do just fine. Of course, I haven't tanked a MOP Raid Boss yet, so we'll see.

wrong

Block is better unless you the damage isn't blockable or for some reason the absorb is bigger than 30-60% of the next ~3 hits (more if its multiple mobs)
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Thanks for the replies!

So it sounds like unless I'm conserving for a specific event (enrage, big DOT, frenzy) I should just be popping block when I have resources for it. Or Barrier if the situation warrants.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
Is Barrier a better go-to shield move because of the lower cost/more universally applicable mitigation?

No. It depends purely on the fight, and moments of the fight. It's very simple. physical damage= Shield Block, Magical damage= Shield Barrier. Predictable magical attack= have rage ready for Barrier.
I can't speak for MoP, level 90, and how Barrier will scale, but I'm pretty sure the same rule of thumb will apply regardless of how well it scales.
09/24/2012 03:11 PMPosted by Sparklefever
That's exactly it. Unless you know there's a big ol' ouchie coming within the next 10 seconds, you should pretty much be using Shield Block off cooldown, and Barrier against magic damage.

Ya Just basically...this.
09/24/2012 02:39 PMPosted by Balson
My rotation hasn't changed at all except for my Shield Block/trink macro is now different. I don't even use that anymore, I just use barrier and I do just fine. Of course, I haven't tanked a MOP Raid Boss yet, so we'll see.

Boy, you're doing it wrong :(
Edited by Gervasio on 9/24/2012 8:06 PM PDT
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight
For block and barrier, I'd save the rage unless you're losing plenty of health in big bites.

I've only temporarily rolled a warr up to 30, to sort of relearn it (cuz I leveld a warr to unlock DK) But I don't know all the special stuff for them. Save the rage for the big bites of health to prevent further big bites of health, and tell your healer to heal better.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid

ACTIVATE TURTLE STANCE

OR PORCUPINE STANCE
Reply Quote
100 Pandaren Warrior
09/24/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Slashlove

ACTIVATE TURTLE STANCE

OR PORCUPINE STANCE

Is that before or after you shift into hedgehog form?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
In b4 Reesi
Reply Quote
86 Worgen Death Knight
09/24/2012 08:14 PMPosted by Slashlove

ACTIVATE TURTLE STANCE

OR PORCUPINE STANCE

Why not pop kitten defense?

No one dares hit a kitten.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
For block and barrier, I'd save the rage unless you're losing plenty of health in big bites.

I've only temporarily rolled a warr up to 30, to sort of relearn it (cuz I leveld a warr to unlock DK) But I don't know all the special stuff for them. Save the rage for the big bites of health to prevent further big bites of health, and tell your healer to heal better.

Wrong. Shield Block the rest of the time. You don't sit on rage and " make the healer heal it".
Save up and keep rage for an expected big magical hit, but sit on it the rest of the time? NO.
Reply Quote
90 Pandaren Warrior

Wrong. Shield Block the rest of the time. You don't sit on rage and " make the healer heal it".
Save up and keep rage for an expected big magical hit, but sit on it the rest of the time? NO.

You should use it when you need it. <-----That's a period at the end.
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior

You should use it when you need it. <-----That's a period at the end.

If you are being wacked on with physical damage, you hit shield block.You don't wait. you do it now. Is that somehow not clear?
He insinuated he sits on rage.
The fact that you want enough rage to hit Barrier for a predictable moment of magical damage ( or damage other wise not blockable) goes with out saying. Or...apparently not.
The rest of the time, if you have rage, and there's something hitting you, you hit Block.
Pretty stinkin simple.

I hope this isn't a matter of semantics here. He honestly sounded like he sits on rage and makes the healer " heal better" unless he's getting hit hard.
This isn't cata any more. You actively, all the time, keep up one, or the other. Or at least you try to. Rage allowing.

Finally, let me put it this way: if you're in combat, you "need" one, or the other. You don't generally sit on rage.
Edited by Gervasio on 9/25/2012 8:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Warrior
bowed side out.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]