Anyone reading the new short stories?

85 Night Elf Druid
1 day and 19 hours ago, Blizzard posted on the main site a summary of Warcraft's history(going from game to game and patch to patch) as well as part one of a new short story, called Quest for Pandaria.

Yet I haven't noticed any threads about it here(unless I'm missing it?)

I personally haven't been able to get into any of it. I find it boring, the same way I find children's television shows and movies boring. I'm just not the target audience.

The story summary I can understand. None of us really need to care about it because we know the story.

But Blizzard is also publishing an actual children's comic based around Li Li. Do you think you'll have an interest in it? Or do you think this is going to be another rude wake up call for Blizzard in the publishing space?
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
1 day and 19 hours ago, Blizzard posted on the main site a summary of Warcraft's history(going from game to game and patch to patch) as well as part one of a new short story, called Quest for Pandaria.

Yet I haven't noticed any threads about it here(unless I'm missing it?)

I personally haven't been able to get into any of it. I find it boring, the same way I find children's television shows and movies boring. I'm just not the target audience.

The story summary I can understand. None of us really need to care about it because we know the story.

But Blizzard is also publishing an actual children's comic based around Li Li. Do you think you'll have an interest in it? Or do you think this is going to be another rude wake up call for Blizzard in the publishing space?

I think you underestimate how many adults like children's stories/light-hearted stories. I might read it. If I have time. Given the negative reviews fans have been giving the novels lately, if it fails, it'll probably be because of the quality of the storytelling rather than the type.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here.

Mainly on account that this is Warcraft.

From its inception, it was never targeted towards the 8 and under crowd. It was targeted to the 9+ crowd that wanted crazy, hulking Orcs beating up on egotistical mages. Knights running from Dragons, blood and thunder, all that stuff that kids love.

Not a little panda girl going on a heartfelt adventure.

I have nothing against Blizzard pursuing childrens stories for the reason you described, but this isn't the right franchise for it and I think we're about to enter an expansion where lore is ignored by the mainstream player (and maybe even some of the people here) more than ever before.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
F- yeah, heartfelt adventures! Woohoo!

When I have money, I'm buying Pearl of Pandaeria.
Edited by Cbredbeard on 9/22/2012 1:23 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Troll Hunter
Quest for Pandaria may come off as lighthearted, but it surprised me when I found out how surprisingly morbid it actually was.

I mean, hearing about how Li Li's father practically blames her for the death of Bo (I think he's the one...) was rather hard hitting. The story was fantastic, and I really felt for Li Li throughout.
Edited by Pyronaptor on 9/22/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Rogue
09/22/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Drailen
From its inception, it was never targeted towards the 8 and under crowd. It was targeted to the 9+ crowd that wanted crazy, hulking Orcs beating up on egotistical mages. Knights running from Dragons, blood and thunder, all that stuff that kids love.

I've liked that stuff since I was 7, idk about you

:p

09/22/2012 01:19 PMPosted by Drailen
I have nothing against Blizzard pursuing childrens stories for the reason you described, but this isn't the right franchise for it and I think we're about to enter an expansion where lore is ignored by the mainstream player (and maybe even some of the people here) more than ever before.

Idk. A lot of fans dislike the war story. I hear people harp about it constantly. There are those that miss "exploring the world" which Pandaria should be delivering.

I'm not saying that it will be a commercial success, but it should fill in a niche of WoW players who enjoy the mysticism and adventure of the world.
Edited by Noitora on 9/22/2012 1:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
I'd rather play through a hundred zones with Li Li by my side than fight a war I'll never be able to win. -_-
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Hunter
09/22/2012 01:33 PMPosted by Cbredbeard
I'd rather play through a hundred zones with Li Li by my side than fight a war I'll never be able to win. -_-

It's winnable, just make every horde player cancel their accounts and you will have "won". Yay!
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/22/2012 01:59 PMPosted by Threeslotbag

It's winnable, just make every horde player cancel their accounts and you will have "won". Yay!

I camp the Dark Portal everyday to that very end! :D
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
I've liked that stuff since I was 7, idk about you

:p

At 7, it was all about Mario and Zelda for me, sucker.

09/22/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Noitora
Idk. A lot of fans dislike the war story. I hear people harp about it constantly. There are those that miss "exploring the world" which Pandaria should be delivering.

I'd agree with those players because, honestly, this isn't a very good war story. Most of us saw what's happening to Garrosh now coming since WoTLK began.

I mean, it was pretty comical and campy doing the old 5 mans leading up to Arthas and I saw that one Paladin NPC start giving a speech about how much we can accomplish by working together, only to be blown up by a frost dragon right then and there.

09/22/2012 01:26 PMPosted by Noitora
I'm not saying that it will be a commercial success, but it should fill in a niche of WoW players who enjoy the mysticism and adventure of the world.

I'd personally rather just play a fantasy game. Warcraft tries to be fantasy, but it's not. It takes more than Knights and Dragons to be a fantasy game. It takes immersion, detail to the races and their cultures, and most of all...the writers have to take the world seriously.

They don't.

Though this is me getting off topic, since I'm not trying to claim Li Li's stories aren't serious or anything. Just that Warcraft in general isn't taken seriously by the writers.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
09/22/2012 03:20 PMPosted by Drailen
At 7, it was all about Mario and Zelda for me, sucker.

And for alot of people at 27, it still is. ^_^

I mean, it was pretty comical and campy doing the old 5 mans leading up to Arthas and I saw that one Paladin NPC start giving a speech about how much we can accomplish by working together, only to be blown up by a frost dragon right then and there.

Horde side, Sylvannas had a good laugh at that. :b

...Horde get to have all the fun. :(

Though this is me getting off topic, since I'm not trying to claim Li Li's stories aren't serious or anything. Just that Warcraft in general isn't taken seriously by the writers.

The writers are serious, at least about whatever it is that they are writing.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/22/2012 03:31 PMPosted by Cbredbeard
The writers are serious, at least about whatever it is that they are writing.

If that was the case, then:

1) They would take feedback more seriously.

2) They would have less pop culture references thrown into the game.

3) We would see less modernization of the races.

4) Language would actually be a lore issue instead of just a gameplay one.

5) We would know how all the various cultures actually work, instead of having moments that are frankly embarrassing on Blizzard's part like when Thrall's "marriage" consisted of an informal "be my life-mate" moment where the novels already claimed that the Orcs had an actual ceremony that had to be scheduled for such an event.

I mean, you look at another RPG like Dragon Age or Skyrim and the writers have all their stuff figured out. They made up a fictional language for Skyrim's Dragons, and the writers knew how everything worked in Dragon Age's society right down to how different cultures viewed same-sex relationships.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Paladin
If that was the case, then:

1) They would take feedback more seriously.

Writers generally don't take criticism well.

2) They would have less pop culture references thrown into the game.

I'm sure they enjoyed writing those references into the game.

3) We would see less modernization of the races.

When Modernization happens, it tends to happen fast. Sad, but true.

4) Language would actually be a lore issue instead of just a gameplay one.

"Ah, they speak the universal language; English." - Nail Dragonball Z Abridged

5) We would know how all the various cultures actually work, instead of having moments that are frankly embarrassing on Blizzard's part like when Thrall's "marriage" consisted of an informal "be my life-mate" moment where the novels already claimed that the Orcs had an actual ceremony that had to be scheduled for such an event.

I'm sure all the writers involved with that debacle were very serious when they wrote what they wrote when it was written. It sucks that what was written earlier was summarily dismissed when a contradiction was brought to light, but it happens.

I mean, you look at another RPG like Dragon Age or Skyrim and the writers have all their stuff figured out. They made up a fictional language for Skyrim's Dragons, and the writers knew how everything worked in Dragon Age's society right down to how different cultures viewed same-sex relationships.

Yes, clearly what we're lacking is a detailed account regarding the mating rituals of Orges...!

Seriously, I love fluff, but more than anything Blizzard is guilty of contradicting itself and using a shovel and an axe when writing their lore instead of a spade and a pair of trimmers would more than suffice. They're far too readily dismissive of the lore that's already been written when alot of the time a small tweak is all that's necessary for things to make sense.

Point in case, Thrall and Aggra get married! When it could have been instead Thrall asks Aggra to marry him with a ritual or ceremony to later take place. I don't think you'd even need to change the quest line or dialogue for that to make sense.

Again, I do think they're serious about what they write, but maybe they're too serious about what they write and aren't too serious about what someone else wrote.
Reply Quote
90 Undead Priest
I suspect that the reason a lot of the in-depth cultural lore (marriage rituals, the style of Kaldorei literature, philosophical beliefs of the arakkoa) aren't developed is simply because it's not relevant. Most players wouldn't care, and Blizzard needs to prioritize on gameplay. Whatever lore fans think, this is fundamentally the core of WoW.

Besides, the relatively vague nature of these cultural details gives players more room to speculate and fill in the gaps.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/22/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Cbredbeard
Writers generally don't take criticism well.

Those would be pretty bad writers, then.

09/22/2012 04:05 PMPosted by Cbredbeard
I'm sure they enjoyed writing those references into the game.

I'm sure they enjoyed all the flak they've gotten for it in Cataclysm, too sarcasm sarcasm sarcasm.

When Modernization happens, it tends to happen fast. Sad, but true.

I don't understand what you're saying here. It wasn't "fast" in-game, Blizzard has been slowly diluting the various cultures of Azeroth since WoW launched.

"Ah, they speak the universal language; English." - Nail Dragonball Z Abridged

Exactly. Dragon Ball Z was a very badly written show.

Yes, clearly what we're lacking is a detailed account regarding the mating rituals of Orges...!

Seriously, I love fluff, but more than anything Blizzard is guilty of contradicting itself and using a shovel and an axe when writing their lore instead of a spade and a pair of trimmers would more than suffice. They're far too readily dismissive of the lore that's already been written when alot of the time a small tweak is all that's necessary for things to make sense.

Point in case, Thrall and Aggra get married! When it could have been instead Thrall asks Aggra to marry him with a ritual or ceremony to later take place. I don't think you'd even need to change the quest line or dialogue for that to make sense.

Again, I do think they're serious about what they write, but maybe they're too serious about what they write and aren't too serious about what someone else wrote.

What it comes down to here is passion. They only have passion to write for things they care about. War, action, character drama, etc.

You'll never hear an NPC describe to us the nature of the Emerald Dream(unless we're going there), or anything like that because to Blizzard it doesn't matter compared to seeing a big Orc duke it out with a big Worgen.
Reply Quote
Lore-wise, Quest for Pandaria reveals a few unknown details, e.g. fauna and flora, about the Wandering Isle. It's worth reading for that.

EDIT:
Well hey, it even tells us that the sun rises in the east. I'm not sure if that was explicitly stated elsewhere, actually.
Edited by Everen on 9/23/2012 9:02 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
I find the entire idea of Pandaren boring. Sorry. There's nothing exciting on the continent and nothing has roots.

The only interesting thing is the faction conflict.
Reply Quote
51 Orc Warrior
If you think Lili's comic is literally a "children's comic book" then you're clueless.
Reply Quote
90 Night Elf Druid
I find the entire idea of Pandaren boring. Sorry. There's nothing exciting on the continent and nothing has roots.

The only interesting thing is the faction conflict.

You're free to think that. But as for nothing having roots, at some point Blizzard does have to move on from the established characters and settings from the RTS games. They can't rely on WC3 forever.
Reply Quote
85 Night Elf Druid
09/23/2012 11:55 AMPosted by Haíku
If you think Lili's comic is literally a "children's comic book" then you're clueless.

Blizzard has already said they are seriously considering children's books.

Guess I'm not so clueless, huh?
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]