Mount Roleplaying

53 Blood Elf Mage
Vynatholan. When you said see above statement, yes, there may or may not be any left. But, we would be going into the SSS syndrome (special snow flake syndrome) if we said we had managaed to tame a rare one, even if there is any left, and ride them as mounts.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
Oh my god, so many things wrong with this thread T_T.
I would like to consider myself quite knowledgeable when it comes to the dragons in World of Warcraft. They're literately the first thing I ever did any sort of research on for roleplaying purposes, and on top of that, I've been playing Althmystrasza for quite some time now.
Before I go through and point out a few things, I would first like to place my two cents on the OP discussion.

In my opinion, the most difficult mounts to "tame" would be:
albino, black, the protos (especially the purple proto), and the twilight.
As it's been mentioned before, you can't really "tame" any of the drakes, mainly because they aren't just stupid beasts you can train to do your bidding. You would have to earn their trust, yadda yadda yadda; they would have to make their own separate decisions on whether or not to join you, and you will have to make it realistic.

For example, Althmyst and Laviette are sort of a "team"; when the heroes were called to Northrend, Laviette wasn't as focused on the Scourge as she was on the dragons and Malygos' insanity. Her entire (generally speaking) time in Northrend was spent defending the Temple and trying to stop Malygos from committing further trouble. When the time came for the two to part ways, they had grown so close from working together for all of those months, that Althmyst decided she would go with Laviette. That was her decision.
What ended up me just wanting a red mount for Laviette ended up turning in to a whole new developing character that I love.

Now, the proto drakes would be easier in the sense that they aren't the most intelligent creatures out there. That's not to say they're completely stupid like everyone else here is trying to have you believe. They aren't just beasts, and they are capable of thought and emotion, however it would be considered much more primitive (generally speaking).
I believe the purple colouration is also a mutation, sort of like albinism, since it's only really seen in-game as the mount (correct me if I'm wrong).

I'm afraid I don't know much about these new stone drakes/wind drakes, so I can't really help you in that regard.

Now, albino drakes are extremely rare (because it's an uncommon gene mutation), however they doesn't mean they're any less smart than the others of their kind. The nice thing about this would be you have free rein on deciding where your albino drake came from. If that means that it's a magically surviving black dragon, or a blue, or green... whatever, really.

Black drakes I would stay away from because they're considered extinct currently. (Not entirely extinct, just so close to it that it shouldn't be something to consider.)

Twilight drakes are tricky, because many of them would've been eradicated. There's likely a few still chillin' about, but I don't really know what happened to them once their creator... died.
((1/2))
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
NOW...
09/22/2012 06:45 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
so how are you even gonna get up there without a ladder?

Their bones make convenient ladders :P.
I'd say Black.
because there aren't any.

^ That.
09/22/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
It would be a shame to see an entire dragonflight removed from existence.

It's been stated multiple times that Wrathion is the only known remaining black dragon (well, whelp).
09/22/2012 10:17 PMPosted by Vynathlon
As for a black drake or a twilight drake I'm not even sure if unless you're on their side that lorewise it would be possible to do so. I mean how do you convince a black dragon to be your mount when you're going around killing them?

Again, you don't convince a black dragon, because they no longer exist. Unless you count Wrathion, and he doesn't strike me as the type to just let you ride him. Not to mention the fact that, as I mentioned earlier, he's just a baby.

09/23/2012 10:43 AMPosted by Walegar
See this is something that irks me about WoWs story writing. You can't just be like there are no more black dragons because the red flight wiped them out hur hur! They didn't even mention the Dragonmaw clan who probably has a large stock of black drakes. The Dragonmaw orcs aren't just going to be like oh sure Alextraza take our mounts! no they are going to keep them! On top of that there is no way the red flight managed to kill ALL of them. I accept that a black drake is rare and that the flight itself is facing extinction but that there are no more period? that is just a load of bull...

I know that Deathwing, for the sake of this thread I'll say gave, the Dragonmaw orcs some drakes and dragons, however I doubt he would've just left them all there when he had a huge army on his back and everyone out to kill him.
That wouldn't be a very intelligent war move.
Now I'd been reading some of the World of Warcraft books, and I believe it was implied that the black dragonflight was there to help the Dragonmaw orcs. That doesn't mean they were always there. There were times where the Dragonmaws needed to send requests to Deathwing to send more drakes. I imagine a shortage would've been even more common when he went to war with the other Aspects, as well as all of Azeroth itself.

As for the black dragonflight in the Outlands... Well, I suppose it's possible they were far enough away that some of them might've not been tainted. However there wouldn't be any small clutches of eggs there that will hatch into black dragons; they'd all turn into nether dragons, because that's what was happening; the powers of the Twisting Nether were being imbued in the egg, changing the baby dragons before they were even hatched.

It is also possible that the red dragonflight may have taken more than one egg to try and get rid of its taint, but that's a pretty big maybe.
While I'm mentioning the red dragonflight, I would also like to point out the fact that it wasn't just the red dragonflight that was out to kill all of the black dragonflight. Wrathion also sought to be rid of his tainted brothers and sisters, and if you followed the rogue questline, you would know this. In fact, he went to a great deal of trouble to get rid of them all.

->Speculation<- There may have been black dragons on Pandaria from before the land split away from the rest of Azeroth. In the mists, Wrathion may not have been able to sense the other black dragons, and they may not have been tainted by Deathwing.
-> It's also possible that the Outlands were far enough away for some adult black dragons to survive, because Wrathion wouldn't have been able to sense them.

All-in-all, that's a lot of ifs, buts, and maybes.
((2/2))
Edited by Laviette on 9/23/2012 9:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Req
09/23/2012 08:59 PMPosted by Laviette
I believe the purple colouration is also a mutation, sort of like albinism, since it's only really seen in-game as the mount (correct me if I'm wrong).
That's a pretty interesting concept. All this time I was thinking that it was an offspring of a blue proto-drake and a red proto drake.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
09/23/2012 09:25 PMPosted by Vynathlon
That's a pretty interesting concept. All this time I was thinking that it was an offspring of a blue proto-drake and a red proto drake.

That would sort of be a 50/50 thing. Genetics-wise, I could see that working if their genes were specifically designed to interact to produce a purple proto-drake when a blue and red proto-drake mate.
However, generally speaking, genetics don't tend to mix as nicely as our paint sets do :P.

I mean, if I were to have kids with someone who has black hair, our kid isn't necessarily going to come out with... really dark red hair, or brown hair, etc; they'd likely come out with black hair because that would be the dominant trait, however since I also have dominant brown hair genes from my mother and father, it's entirely possible it would come out as a brunette. It's sort of a science/mathematical equation, but it also has a lot to do with chance.

If a blue and red proto-drake were to mate, it would be more likely that it would either come out blue or red, or perhaps have a few mixed characteristics like a calico cat. Again, it really has everything to do with genetics, and since the only one that's really messed around and experimented with dragon-genetics was Deathwing and the black dragonflight as well as their cults(as far as I'm aware), and I don't believe he touched on proto-drakes at all, pretty much anything is possible.
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
09/23/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Zelphyius
Vynatholan. When you said see above statement, yes, there may or may not be any left. But, we would be going into the SSS syndrome (special snow flake syndrome) if we said we had managaed to tame a rare one, even if there is any left, and ride them as mounts.

What if you tamed one before the events occurred that led to near extinction of the Black dragon flight?
Reply Quote
10 Worgen Druid
Oh my god, so many things wrong with this thread T_T.
I would like to consider myself quite knowledgeable when it comes to the dragons in World of Warcraft. They're literately the first thing I ever did any sort of research on for roleplaying purposes, and on top of that, I've been playing Althmystrasza for quite some time now.
Before I go through and point out a few things, I would first like to place my two cents on the OP discussion.

In my opinion, the most difficult mounts to "tame" would be:
albino, black, the protos (especially the purple proto), and the twilight.
As it's been mentioned before, you can't really "tame" any of the drakes, mainly because they aren't just stupid beasts you can train to do your bidding. You would have to earn their trust, yadda yadda yadda; they would have to make their own separate decisions on whether or not to join you, and you will have to make it realistic.

For example, Althmyst and Laviette are sort of a "team"; when the heroes were called to Northrend, Laviette wasn't as focused on the Scourge as she was on the dragons and Malygos' insanity. Her entire (generally speaking) time in Northrend was spent defending the Temple and trying to stop Malygos from committing further trouble. When the time came for the two to part ways, they had grown so close from working together for all of those months, that Althmyst decided she would go with Laviette. That was her decision.
What ended up me just wanting a red mount for Laviette ended up turning in to a whole new developing character that I love.

Now, the proto drakes would be easier in the sense that they aren't the most intelligent creatures out there. That's not to say they're completely stupid like everyone else here is trying to have you believe. They aren't just beasts, and they are capable of thought and emotion, however it would be considered much more primitive (generally speaking).

I'm afraid I don't know much about these new stone drakes/wind drakes, so I can't really help you in that regard.

Now, albino drakes are extremely rare (because it's an uncommon gene mutation), however they doesn't mean they're any less smart than the others of their kind. The nice thing about this would be you have free rein on deciding where your albino drake came from. If that means that it's a magically surviving black dragon, or a blue, or green... whatever, really.

Black drakes I would stay away from because they're considered extinct currently. (Not entirely extinct, just so close to it that it shouldn't be something to consider.)

Twilight drakes are tricky, because many of them would've been eradicated. There's likely a few still chillin' about, but I don't really know what happened to them once their creator... died.
((1/2))

And you don't necessarily have to gain their trust. Drakes can be broken as seen in Twilight bastion. It would take a lot of work but it can be done.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Yeah, but... most people aren't ICly that mean, plus, it's a drake. There's a 95% chance that they're twice as smart as you are, and there's a 100% chance that they'll be faster, stronger, and more resillient to pain that you.
Edited by Srdotsalot on 9/24/2012 12:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
100 Undead Death Knight
Req
09/23/2012 06:54 PMPosted by Zelphyius
I was kind of going under the assumption that if we had a group of all of these mounts and had to tame them all then ask which one would be hardest to tame, not that there would be a short supply in some of them. I was kind of just pointing out at the time that there wasn't very many, not that if you were to try to tame them all right now and see what would happen.

09/24/2012 05:35 AMPosted by Laviette

That would sort of be a 50/50 thing. Genetics-wise, I could see that working if their genes were specifically designed to interact to produce a purple proto-drake when a blue and red proto-drake mate.
However, generally speaking, genetics don't tend to mix as nicely as our paint sets do :P.

I mean, if I were to have kids with someone who has black hair, our kid isn't necessarily going to come out with... really dark red hair, or brown hair, etc; they'd likely come out with black hair because that would be the dominant trait, however since I also have dominant brown hair genes from my mother and father, it's entirely possible it would come out as a brunette. It's sort of a science/mathematical equation, but it also has a lot to do with chance.

If a blue and red proto-drake were to mate, it would be more likely that it would either come out blue or red, or perhaps have a few mixed characteristics like a calico cat. Again, it really has everything to do with genetics, and since the only one that's really messed around and experimented with dragon-genetics was Deathwing and the black dragonflight as well as their cults(as far as I'm aware), and I don't believe he touched on proto-drakes at all, pretty much anything is possible.
Well with this being a fantasy game and no other sources saying otherwise I think it could be possible that such a mount could be conceived. If not then there's always the possibility that despite not being any in-game that some cultists or scientists out there either working for the Scourge or the Forsaken or possibly even the Black Dragonflight decided to try to combine a red proto-drake and a blue proto-drake together, combining their strengths and somehow ending up with a violet proto-drake instead.

09/24/2012 12:14 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
Yeah, but... most people aren't ICly that mean, plus, it's a drake. There's a 95% chance that they're twice as smart as you are, and there's a 100% chance that they'll be faster, stronger, and more resillient to pain that you.
lol that is a possibility that while you're trying to tame them they're trying to tame you as well.
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
09/24/2012 01:55 PMPosted by Vynathlon
lol that is a possibility that while you're trying to tame them they're trying to tame you as well.

o_O My mind has been blown.

xP

Wouldn't that be quite a predicament?
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
I will give you ten gold to write a vignette about that and post it here...
Reply Quote
88 Night Elf Druid
09/24/2012 06:21 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
I will give you ten gold to write a vignette about that and post it here...

Challenge accepted.

But I'm not doing it tonight xD.
G'nights xP.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Night all.

Don't forget, Laviette!

Heheh... rhymes...
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
09/22/2012 05:22 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
Frostbrood Vanquisher, though I'm begging you, don't use that in RP.

Oh snap, Kingslayer Orkus is a lorebreaker.

Seriouslly, though. If you go through proper channels (Knights of the Ebon Blade in Orkus's case) a sufficiently skilled individual can be entrusted with a Frostbrood Vanquisher.

The Vanquishers, however, do not appear to possess the level of intelligence they might have in life; they act as animals. Perhaps this is a Scourge side-effect or by design? After all, intelligent frost wyrms are only useful if they're important, like Sindragosa.
Edited by Mebahiah on 9/28/2012 5:23 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Blood Elf Death Knight
That is actually a question I have, is there any lore about the vanquisher's the ebon blade provides in terms of intelligence?
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Never said he was a lorebreaker, I just find it kind of hard to believe that people who AREN'T super-skilled and worthy of such a mount could get one.
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
09/28/2012 01:12 PMPosted by Srdotsalot
Never said he was a lorebreaker, I just find it kind of hard to believe that people who AREN'T super-skilled and worthy of such a mount could get one.

Orkus? Super-skilled?

*laughs like the Joker torturing Batman*

Orkus had nice armour, sure, but when it comes down to it, he wasn't anyone special until his dying moment.

Since he's meant to be a "player-character" in-game, if you take his story into consideration, the thing that made him worthy may just be that he found the non-speaking frost wyrm and went out of his way to rescue her.
Reply Quote
22 Undead Warlock
Well alright then.
Reply Quote
90 Human Priest
09/28/2012 12:36 PMPosted by Ecrulis
That is actually a question I have, is there any lore about the vanquisher's the ebon blade provides in terms of intelligence?

I believe the only 'shred' of 'lore' you get on those is the small letter that comes from the drake upon getting getting the mount. Don't remember per verbatim but it went something along the lines of "My men tamed this guy, one almost lost an arm. Anyhow, this thing is tamed and can now serve you. K thx bai."

Which I'd LIKE to say, means the wyrm is pretty much mindlessly docile and 'tamed' to serve the new 'master'.

Or you can always RPing it as "it has a mind but the mind only knows to serve." Which will make trying to break one in a pretty daunting task (unless RPwise you have some sort of leverage against it).
Reply Quote
90 Human Paladin
09/30/2012 04:49 AMPosted by Mebahiah
Orkus? Super-skilled?
'

Orkus was a joke.

Plain and simple and therefore we cannot look at it like its anything special.

Dragons and drakes should not be used in RP as its bad form since there aren't that many dragons in the world that would choose to be mounts to lowly people like ourselves.

Such RP does not bode well considering the Red, Green, Yellow and Blue Dragonflights do not like it when dragons are used as mounts, even when those dragons are willing servants. So honestly the question of Mount Roleplaying is a moot one in that its a big fat no.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]