New [A]lliance RP Guild

In the few weeks since I transferred to Ravenholdt, I've found there's a disheartening lack of pure roleplaying guilds on the Alliance side. Believe me, I've looked.

There are several who "do rp" occasionally, but their guild chat is out of character. Nothing against folks who prefer it that way, but it really does stifle a lot of opportunity for storytelling- especially if you're new to the guild. How am I supposed to know what the storyline is or what your characters are like if whenever I'm logged in, everyones just chatting about the latest movie or your homework assignment or bacon or whatever?

As a tabletop RPG veteran, I can say for certain that the best role-play ideas come from when you force yourself to do *everything* in character. In terms of an MMO, that means holding back the ((ooc)) as much as possible. There are many plausible lore-based explanations of how guildmates all over Azeroth would be able to communicate in a single place, so why not take advantage of it?

As far as I can tell, there's only one active role-play guild with in character guild chat, and they've closed applications indefinitely.

So, before I pack my bags again, I'm thinking about starting a new guild. I figure there may be a few more role-play purists like myself who may be interested. Even if you just want to join with an alt, that's fine. We'll need all the help we can get.

My only hard rules:
1. Guild chat MUST be 100% in character at all times. Obviously, we will maintain an OOC channel to compensate for this.
2. If you're into ERP, I don't want to know or hear about it ever.

As far as the theme, I'm definitely open to ideas. As I sit here now, I'm thinking of a holy order of paladins & priests (perhaps shaman & monks as well). Or we can take the "holy" part out of it & just be a militia. If there's enough interest to do something else entirely, let's explore that. We can decide on a name once we've nailed down the theme.

My primary goal for this guild is, as I've said, to have a place where RP is a constant. Even the most mundane WoW quests can be stretched out into fascinating stories, if only we'd take the time to role-play it. The same can easily be said for battlegrounds & dungeons.

We'll have at least one regular meeting per week (I'm flexible on days/times), but I'd also like to plan lots of little events in populated areas like Stormwind & Dalaran. With the new expansion coming this week, we could also really do a lot with the new continent of Pandaria.

If you're interested, please write me an in-game letter, comment here, or email me at glexelia@gmail.com

(cross posted to the ravenholdt rp sanctum)
Reply Quote
Hello there Glexelia!
While I'm sorry that your search for an RP guild on the Alliance has been somewhat difficult, I'm so glad to see that you've taken the initiative to start up another RP guild yourself. I think that having a variety of RP guilds is a fantastic things and it will allow RPers to choose a guild that works best with their character's personality. I know that not all of my alts fit within TE's storyline and I would love to find some other guilds to place them in. There are a few guilds that are out there already with compelling storylines, so I think it would be a good idea to differentiate from them. The ones that comes to mind immediately, along with an extremely broad description, are:

Twilight Empire: Group seeking peace between the factions.
House Ravensong: More of an aggressive, military-minded group
Reprisal: A group of mercenary-like individuals
Twin Seas Trading Company: Traders and Pirates
Stormwind City Guard: Guards of Stormwind
The Sentinels: A military-like group
The Indelibles: A group of adventurers

I apologize if I missed anyone! But that sort of gives a general sense of the groups on the Alliance-side. I could see a more "holy" focused order filling in a niche. Maybe they could become known as a medical order or holy order that interacts with other guilds by offering their guidance or healing? Just an idea!

I would also gather other ideas and see what guild niche people feel is missing Alliance-side. I know that starting a guild can be difficult and, at times, the lack of response can be disheartening. Recruiting can be tough, especially if not everyone fits in with your idea. If you ever want to talk through things or bounce ideas back and forth, I would be happy to open up some sort of channel of communication.

Also, please let other guilds know how best we can support this idea. I know that we would love to help out in any way that we can. I think that MoP will provide a lot of opportunities for RP on Ravenholdt and I hope to see your guild as a part of that!
Reply Quote
100 Blood Elf Death Knight
09/23/2012 08:32 AMPosted by Glexelia
There are several who "do rp" occasionally, but their guild chat is out of character. Nothing against folks who prefer it that way, but it really does stifle a lot of opportunity for storytelling- especially if you're new to the guild. How am I supposed to know what the storyline is or what your characters are like if whenever I'm logged in, everyones just chatting about the latest movie or your homework assignment or bacon or whatever?

I'm not really sure how this is a legitimate complaint. Every guild that does this has their own stupid little gimmick as to how they enable 24/7 realtime, seamless group communication that only they can hear, and its just a needless complication and stretching of the lore.

If you DO want that, why can't it just be a guild-specific global chat channel? That way the people that actually want to be RPing at that time have somewhere to go while those in the guild but not in the mood at that time can just chat in /g

You can learn all of that information simply by asking, preferably IClly. If you're in a serious RP guild they should have SOME initiation or at least a meet and greet for the newbies where they can explain the current goings on to them. Does it even make sense for your brand new member to know of every single piece of history and every feud upon joining? These things are usually developed in actual roleplay, and once again it just adds needless complication in handwaving WHY you know everything about the guild.

Furthermore, always-IC /g almost always leads to laziness on the guild members with regards to actually meeting in person, and they end up doing only what amounts to play-by-post roleplay with only descriptions and no actual mechanics.

My 0.02

Also, to add on to Aerana's list of good Alliance RP guilds, Kul Tiras Marines are still a thing, aren't they? I was going to list more but I honestly can't think of any off the top of my head.
Reply Quote
Hello there Glexelia!
While I'm sorry that your search for an RP guild on the Alliance has been somewhat difficult, I'm so glad to see that you've taken the initiative to start up another RP guild yourself. I think that having a variety of RP guilds is a fantastic things and it will allow RPers to choose a guild that works best with their character's personality. I know that not all of my alts fit within TE's storyline and I would love to find some other guilds to place them in. There are a few guilds that are out there already with compelling storylines, so I think it would be a good idea to differentiate from them. The ones that comes to mind immediately, along with an extremely broad description, are:

Twilight Empire: Group seeking peace between the factions.
House Ravensong: More of an aggressive, military-minded group
Reprisal: A group of mercenary-like individuals
Twin Seas Trading Company: Traders and Pirates
Stormwind City Guard: Guards of Stormwind
The Sentinels: A military-like group
The Indelibles: A group of adventurers

I apologize if I missed anyone! But that sort of gives a general sense of the groups on the Alliance-side. I could see a more "holy" focused order filling in a niche. Maybe they could become known as a medical order or holy order that interacts with other guilds by offering their guidance or healing? Just an idea!

I would also gather other ideas and see what guild niche people feel is missing Alliance-side. I know that starting a guild can be difficult and, at times, the lack of response can be disheartening. Recruiting can be tough, especially if not everyone fits in with your idea. If you ever want to talk through things or bounce ideas back and forth, I would be happy to open up some sort of channel of communication.

Also, please let other guilds know how best we can support this idea. I know that we would love to help out in any way that we can. I think that MoP will provide a lot of opportunities for RP on Ravenholdt and I hope to see your guild as a part of that!

This was extremely helpful in guiding me in the development process of my new guild. I'm very grateful that you took the time to write this out.
Reply Quote
09/24/2012 05:24 PMPosted by Tahlisar
To be quite honest, IC G chat ruins immersion and RP as a whole.

I realize some people feel this way, but you must also realize that I'm not the only one who finds OOC guild chat in an ostensibly RP guild to ruin immersion.

It's just a matter of opinion. I came here to do X, but only found Y & Z, so I set out to find other people who want to do X. Everybody's happy.
Reply Quote
100 Human Paladin
I am glad you are making this effort, Glexelia, and wish you all the best. Aerana gave you some helpful background, I think, and she can be a powerful ally in the nitty gritty of getting a roleplay guild up off the ground and starting some events that can draw and keep attention. As she said, we have several guilds with great roleplay stories and talented roleplayers... but you have a legitimate point as well about the energy level of roleplay. I strongly encourage you to reach out to the leaders of the other roleplay guilds as well, perhaps through the Roleplayer's Sanctum.

I would hope everyone would keep this recruitment thread civil. I believe the addition of a truly hard-core roleplay guild Alliance side would be a boon to us all, whether confirmed or casual roleplayers, because it will increase the ambiance of our server and help infuse energy in the roleplay community.
Reply Quote
09/25/2012 05:58 AMPosted by Glexelia
This was extremely helpful in guiding me in the development process of my new guild. I'm very grateful that you took the time to write this out.

You're more than welcome! Please let me know if there is anything else that I, or the Ravenholdt community, can help you with. I know that there is a group of people on this server who are eager and willing to support RP =)
Reply Quote
90 Human Death Knight
09/25/2012 06:00 AMPosted by Glexelia
To be quite honest, IC G chat ruins immersion and RP as a whole.

I realize some people feel this way, but you must also realize that I'm not the only one who finds OOC guild chat in an ostensibly RP guild to ruin immersion.

It's just a matter of opinion. I came here to do X, but only found Y & Z, so I set out to find other people who want to do X. Everybody's happy.

Most guilds have 24/7 IC channels and gchat is OOC. You're doing the exact same thing as everyone else except switching up your chat colors.
Reply Quote
The choice of making guild chat IC or OOC is just that: A choice. I think that there are valid viewpoints on both sides of the spectrum, ranging from it allowing more immersion in RP or detracting from RP immersion. While I can understand that people have personal perspectives on this issue, I feel like a defensive tone sprang up with regard to Glexelia's desire to have guild chat be IC and I'm not sure that such a response is warranted. Of course, if the tone wasn't meant to be defensive or somewhat dismissive of her idea, that is another matter (mostly to do with the difficulty in communicating tone via text). =)

The important thing to remember is that guild variety will benefit the server because the different guilds will cater to the various likes and dislikes of the community and allow people to be comfortable in whatever environment they choose. I find it heartening that someone is taking initiative to create something on Ravenholdt instead of throwing up their hands and walking away from the server. I'm excited to see what Glexelia comes up with and I look forward to supporting the endeavors of individuals on this server in the expansion!
Reply Quote
100 Dwarf Shaman
<nods> Little-known fact is that The Indelibles guildchat is IC from the days when we were a heavy RP-PvP guild. Now, we almost exclusively use Indelichat because that's where our light / non-RPers feel comfortable talking.

However, guildchat is where some of our most hilarious and memorable scenes ever played out. (though Cayreth's semi-IC interaction with a GM over a ticket he put in because the 'mobs' in 'Heroic Undercity' were not despawning after a raid wipe was awesomesauce too)
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
(part 1)

It's been several years since I played on Ravenholdt and I do browse the forums from time to time, because I miss the friends I had made here... and as I am on a PvE server now, I do miss the RP quite a bit.

I wanted to toss a few of my thoughts into the ring.

While you'll find a fair share of RP enthusiasts, most people are here to play the game... RP guilds will be filled with players who enjoy RP, but their primary focus is bringing down bosses, questing, PvP (be it battlegrounds or world) or other game features. It's extremely rare to find someone who abstains from game activities in favor of roleplaying.... although it's common to find someone who is receptive to find ways to add roleplay to game activities they actively participate in.

As the years have gone by, there have been so many wonderful features added to the game or enhanced, and the grinds seem to have become much longer. Playing the world of warcraft has become time consuming, and it's very easy for even some of the larger RP fans to let their roleplaying interests go to the wayside in favor of getting dailies done, completing dungeons to upgrade their gear, raiding, etc.

I think it's important to keep these things in mind when forming and leading a guild.

The majority of my favorite RP moments in this game came while questing or doing dungeons with friends and immersing ourselves in our characters in the moment as we react to the storylines already in the game. It's fun, easy, and very natural.

There have been other character storylines that friends have had that have been engaging, that I have enjoyed over the years. One of the pitfalls is that many players live eat and breathe their characters, and get so wrapped up in their own personal storyline, they lose track of guild or friends storylines. As individuals, we need to spend as much time listening and engaging ourselves with others as we do creating our own tale. When players feel there is no room for their story in the fabric of guild stories, that's when they become frustrated and in some form or another they "drop out".

I bring these points up to illustrate some points I'd like to make.

First of all, any roleplay premise that is contrary or otherwise impeding to in game advancement is doomed to failure, as is a roleplay schedule or forum that is disruptive to game advancement. Connection to the in game storyline and using it as a way to enhance the experience of playing the game is what players will gravitate to, because even though it takes a little more effort, it makes the game more entertaining and fun.

I advise you first to think of what your guild would want to focus on. If you want to world PvP, your theme should reflect it... you can be bounty hunters looking for a contract, or fed up citizens who are tired of horde encroachment. If battlegrounds are your passion, you can be an elite secret "special ops" force with orders coming directly from Wrynn. Perhaps you are a secret society that is looking to reclaim Arathor and the lands of the north for human civilization and participate only in Arathi Basin. If you just like to quest, you can be anything from a ragtag group of adventurers that have mustered into some sort of militia to a faction specific group that is questing in the name of the values of whatever faction the guild represents. You see where I'm going... when your story matches in game goals, the roleplay becomes more of a part of what players are doing in the game rather than a distraction from it.
Reply Quote
80 Human Priest
(part 2)

It's also important to plan very carefully.

Guild meetings are a great way to keep players connected to larger arcing guild storylines, and a way to keep players motivated and engaged in roleplaying. These meetings IMHO aren't a place for individual stories, but a place for players to connect to the major storylines of the guild and to offer ways for them to carry the roleplay into their game activities, like perhaps offering some sort of guild reward for in game accomplishments that fit goals of the guild storyline.

Less formal gatherings or special events are great for letting the members to connect and take a break from the "grind" and get involved with individual stories in a way that they can't in any other way. It's important to have structure (there's a time and place for spontaneous roleplay, but IMHO not in planned events)... Nobody likes to take 2-3 hours out on a night of the week to listen to other players blabber on about something meaningless in the name of roleplay, and nobody likes when the roleplay is dominated by a small handful of guild members. Structure and planning allows for everyone to have a voice in these events. It's all about communication... there needs to be an avenue for players to inform leadership OOC that they have something they want to offer so that they're not steamrolled and spend hours at an event without ever getting to their storyline. It's also important that these events aren't so frequent that they take away large amounts of time actually playing the game (unless your guild is so large that you can support frequent events with a different mix of players at each event).

I know it's a bit of a long winded rant, but I thought it was important to share.
Reply Quote
65 Undead Priest
I'm a bit new to RPing, but if you'll have me. I'd be happy to join. (Probably as a human paladin or gnome warlock if possible.)

Questions:

Is the guild up and running? Or are you still looking for members to start?

Any rules that aren't stated?
Edited by Ironïc on 10/9/2012 9:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I have seen Glexelia in-game and she already has the guild <Guardians of Stromgarde> so I would assume that they're up and running. I know that in the initial stages of guild-building, recruitment is very important so I'm sure she'd love to speak with you! Hang in there and hopefully we'll see you around soon.

Also, a not-so-subtle bump for this guild =) I'd love to see it get off the ground!
Reply Quote
65 Undead Priest
Alright cool. Thank you for the info!

x) Glad to toss a bump!
Reply Quote
10/01/2012 04:44 PMPosted by Theodice
Perhaps you are a secret society that is looking to reclaim Arathor and the lands of the north for human civilization and participate only in Arathi Basin.

First of all, that's exactly the theme of the guild. Same wavelength? And thank you for your "long winded rant", it was quite insightful.

I definitely would peg myself as a casual player. This is my only character & took 3 years of on/off playing WoW in between semesters to get to level cap (I'm out of college now, so I actually have time to dedicate to running a guild). And as I said in my original post, I'm rooted in the tabletop side of the rpg spectrum.

I would rather forgo a lot of the grinding (at the expense of some admittedly very cool rewards) in order to tell stories and truly enjoy my time spent staring at the computer. I would rather listen to hours of long winded in character soliloquy than listen to hours of people going on about real life. When I sit down to play WoW, I just want to be someplace else.

So, to try to meet everyone halfway, I've set out to make this very alt-friendly. It's a guild that you can play with for just a few hours a week to get your pure roleplay fix without sacrificing any time with your main guild. I've come up with a tentative schedule of short events every week that I believe will not conflict with popular raid times- and if it turns out they do, I'll change em.

To clarify, because I'm not sure if I mentioned it in my original post, this is most definitely an RP-PVP guild. I play several battlegrounds a day, and my absolute favorite thing to do in WoW is storm Orgrimmar with dozens of others Allies. It doesn't happen nearly enough, and I'd like to help change that.
Reply Quote
70 Gnome Warlock
Back in Vanilla when I played on The Venture Co there was a guild called "Defenders of Stromgarde" that did most of their RPing in Stromgarde keep, and routinely held intra-guild wPvP events there. It was extremely entertaining.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]